Plausibility check: British Malay belonging to independent Indonesia

The Challenge:
Assuming Japan does not attack Indonesia during WW2, have Indonesia independent from Dutch colonial rule and own (or at least control) Malaya before the deadline of 1975.

Is this possible or ASB?

The Challenge:
Assuming Japan does not attack Indonesia during WW2, have Indonesia independent from Dutch colonial rule and own (or at least control) Malaya before the deadline of 1975.

Is this possible or ASB?

If you got USA and USSR backing, this is possible. Much like how Suez Canal turned into.

However, if you have the same players and support as OTL Konfrontasi, it is certainly ASB.

If you got USA and USSR backing, this is possible. Much like how Suez Canal turned into.

However, if you have the same players and support as OTL Konfrontasi, it is certainly ASB.

Getting other Great Powers to pressure the UK Suez-style? I think that might work... especially if they're desperate for better influence and relations with Indonesia

Thanks for the advice :D

Getting other Great Powers to pressure the UK Suez-style? I think that might work... especially if they're desperate for better influence and relations with Indonesia

Thanks for the advice :D

that could work...especialy if soeharto's kudeta failed to overthrow soekarno...
US do not want rival country(es) has influence on the strategic country, so perhaps...
anyway is singapore and brune included in packages?

How different are those countries, culturally? I am a quebecker, so I am not that knowledgeable on them...

I heard the languages differences by example are kinda like swedish vs danish and/or norweygian. More political than linguistic that much.
And that traditionally, malaysia was always more religious than Indonesia, more practising (except the province of Aceh wich is a special case).

that could work...especialy if soeharto's kudeta failed to overthrow soekarno...
US do not want rival country(es) has influence on the strategic country, so perhaps...
anyway is singapore and brune included in packages?

Brunei yes, Singapore no; the city-state stays independent

How different are those countries, culturally? I am a quebecker, so I am not that knowledgeable on them...

I heard the languages differences by example are kinda like swedish vs danish and/or norweygian. More political than linguistic that much.
And that traditionally, malaysia was always more religious than Indonesia, more practising (except the province of Aceh wich is a special case).

Malaysia's largest linguistic group is Malay, Indonesia's largest is Javan. While both are related they are distinct.

If Singapore finds itself totally surrounded by Malayo-Indonesia, it might go full Israel - even more so than OTL.

If only Japan actually honor what they say to merely overthrow european colonialism from Asia... Let's say after a year of occupation they decide to turn Indonesia as major independent ally in 1943 or early 1944 (Javanese people initially and still mostly support Japan).

Occupied Malaysia, Singapore, and Papua New Guinea (and obviously that East Timor) will be included... And if that happened, the Allies will have a very hard time ahead. And once united, the idea of "revived Majapahit" will stay there especially with Soekarno at the helm.

And yeah, this Indonesia will definitely end up as Javanese domination of Malay (not at first mind you, keeping colonialist europeans at bay take priorities).

If Singapore finds itself totally surrounded by Malayo-Indonesia, it might go full Israel - even more so than OTL.

In a situation where Indonesia annexes Malaya, Singapore is highly unlikely to seek independence. The Chinese are much more likely to see the British as protectors.

Hong Kong south, then?

This makes me imagine an alternate world where the U.S. just went around thwarting postwar colonial ambitions, like they also tell the French to let go of Indochina, and Ho Chi Minh end us presiding over not just OTL Vietnam but the rest of the region.

Would we just end up with a bunch of superbloc post-colonial states?

Hong Kong south, then?

This makes me imagine an alternate world where the U.S. just went around thwarting postwar colonial ambitions, like they also tell the French to let go of Indochina, and Ho Chi Minh end us presiding over not just OTL Vietnam but the rest of the region.

Would we just end up with a bunch of superbloc post-colonial states?

Singapore as Hokkien Equatorial Hong Kong actually sounds pretty interesting.

Given how little the member-states of ASEAN can agree on and the levels of insurgency in some of the bigger member-states, I'd wager that those superblocs would start fragmenting pretty damn fast.

The Chinese and Indian minority in Malaya won't be happy. In a Peninsula that has over 2 million people, they made up almost half that number and comprise the commercial and part-administrative sectors there. If this alt-"Nusantara" does the same discrimination policies as OTL, then it's going to be a bloodbath. I can see the Malay Communist insurgency quickly taking a racial tone.

Singapore as Hokkien Equatorial Hong Kong actually sounds pretty interesting.

Given how little the member-states of ASEAN can agree on and the levels of insurgency in some of the bigger member-states, I'd wager that those superblocs would start fragmenting pretty damn fast.

It's not just going to be Hokkien. You're likely to see the Indian and Chinese middle classes of Malaya fleeing South.

Actually, an outside chance might be for not just Singapore but the Straits Settlements (probably minus Malacca) to stay out of Malaya. So Singapore and Penang as Chinese (with a mid sized Indian minority) islands, either remaining as a crowbncokony or (more likely) perhaps independent as a Commonwealth Realm (The Dominion of the Straits)

The Chinese and Indian minority in Malaya won't be happy. In a Peninsula that has over 2 million people, they made up almost half that number and comprise the commercial and part-administrative sectors there. If this alt-"Nusantara" does the same discrimination policies as OTL, then it's going to be a bloodbath. I can see the Malay Communist insurgency quickly taking a racial tone.

To complicate matters there's also a large Indian underclass (imported as rubber tappers) who (even iotl) often have issues with Malaysian citizenship.

Brunei yes, Singapore no; the city-state stays independent

On Malaya, USA and USSR might support Indonesia both on the right conditions. However, on North Borneo, Indonesia needs to give concessions to the regional power of the time period and US lackey, Philippines. US will always support Philippines and Indonesia is no match for the Philippine military 1950s/60s.

Sarawak and Brunei would be a question mark if it would remain independent or if Philippines or Indonesia will take it.

On Malaya, USA and USSR might support Indonesia both on the right conditions. However, on North Borneo, Indonesia needs to give concessions to the regional power of the time period and US lackey, Philippines. US will always support Philippines and Indonesia is no match for the Philippine military 1950s/60s.

Sarawak and Brunei would be a question mark if it would remain independent or if Philippines or Indonesia will take it.

Sarawak? They will rally behind Brookes...

well it is like dialect that are influenced by diffrent languages in this case english and dutch

If only Japan actually honor what they say to merely overthrow european colonialism from Asia... Let's say after a year of occupation they decide to turn Indonesia as major independent ally in 1943 or early 1944 (Javanese people initially and still mostly support Japan).

Occupied Malaysia, Singapore, and Papua New Guinea (and obviously that East Timor) will be included... And if that happened, the Allies will have a very hard time ahead. And once united, the idea of "revived Majapahit" will stay there especially with Soekarno at the helm.

And yeah, this Indonesia will definitely end up as Javanese domination of Malay (not at first mind you, keeping colonialist europeans at bay take priorities).

...lets hope no one like soeharto ascending to throne
like hell they could seperate it after it is united it will be VIETNAM WAR : NUSANTARA VERSION