TR lives - GOP candidate in 1920

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
http://www.longislandgenealogy.com/roosevelt.html

After the United States entered the war in April 1917, Roosevelt emerged as the leader of the administration's constructive, and until the Armistice, loyal opposition. Had he lived he would doubtless have won the Republican nomination in 1920.

There's always something new in History, and this was new to me.

So, if TR had lived and won the nomination, how would he have fared in 1920? Would the Democrats still have nominated Harding ? Or with TR galvanising the GOP would they have come up with someone more inspiring?

Grey Wolf

Last edited:
I read about something like this not too long ago. I was also surprised to see it.

I think if Roosevelt is nominated by the GOP in 1920, it's almost a sure bet that he'll win against the Democrats. However, there is one important question: does America want an exciting President, after years of reform and war, or do they want someone new, yet harkens to their need for normalcy?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Coriolanus said:
I read about something like this not too long ago. I was also surprised to see it.

I think if Roosevelt is nominated by the GOP in 1920, it's almost a sure bet that he'll win against the Democrats. However, there is one important question: does America want an exciting President, after years of reform and war, or do they want someone new, yet harkens to their need for normalcy?

Well, its a good point but I think TR could point to his 1912 "Confession of Faith" speech as being a launchpad for a domestic focus after the distractions of war.

TR was with Lodge on his objections to Versailles, but having vast international experience he may well work to bring about the obvious compromise that Wilson was unwilling to do - to separate the League covenant from the peace treaty. The SFAC objections to the treaty itself were much less serious and someone who had the word 'compromise' in their vocabulary would have gained ratification for the treaty in this way. TR may well do it late, with conferences with the European powers

His VP is also a good question again. A younger man ? A solid man ? How about Coolidge anyway ?

Grey Wolf