Otto von Habsburg becomes King of Spain in 1961

In 1961, Spanish dictator Francisco Franco offered to make him king of Spain after his own death. Mr. Habsburg declined, but later praised the fascist leader for helping refugees, calling him a “dictator of the south American type … not totalitarian like Hitler or Stalin.’’

What if he accepted the offer, would he get owerthrown after Spain becomes a democracy, or would he keep his throne until his death?

I can imagine very difficult succession question if von Habsburg takes throne. Carlist and Alfonsian branches hardly are very happy when Habsburg are again throne of Spain. And what people of Spain think about new Habsburg monarch?

Wolfpaw

Banned
A more serious anti-monarchism post-Franco. I don't see Otto being as uneasy with Francoism / pro-democracy as Juan Carlos proved to be.

A more serious anti-monarchism post-Franco. I don't see Otto being as uneasy with Francoism / pro-democracy as Juan Carlos proved to be.

Otto von Habsburg was always a pro-european, I don't see him supporting a coup, which he knows will simply isolate Spain from the European Community.

Deleted member 6086

Would we see a Spanish-Austrian war for the old crown? :D

Cook

Banned
dictator of the south American type … not totalitarian like Hitler or Stalin.
laughing-019.gif

Judgement fail.