AHC: Most Distant Possible War in Ancient Times

It is hard to describe what I'm aiming for in a simple title, basically have a war between two (or more I guess) sides, an actual war with actual fighting, that are as far apart as possible from each other. Bring forth your most outlandish possible enemies! The more it is a logistical nightmare the better!

Although it isn't the best example, this could be something like the Sicilian Expedition, the Athenian navy, very far from home trying to defeat another power. They're only about a 1000 km apart though! See if you can do better.

It is hard to describe what I'm aiming for in a simple title, basically have a war between two (or more I guess) sides, an actual war with actual fighting, that are as far apart as possible from each other. Bring forth your most outlandish possible enemies! The more it is a logistical nightmare the better!

Although it isn't the best example, this could be something like the Sicilian Expedition, the Athenian navy, very far from home trying to defeat another power. They're only about a 1000 km apart though! See if you can do better.
so you want something like Parthia fighting Gauls/Britons?

Perhaps Ramesses II could try landing to Anatolia fighting against Hittites. This would be of course total disaster.

OTL: Alexanders war in India
Massilia vs Chartage

ATL : Roman military expedition to India
Chinese-Roman Parthia war

Massilia vs Chartage

Pella to Punjab is far. I don't know if it is farther from Rome to Mesopotamia during Trajans time.

However roman expedition to India seems impossible. They have to beat the Parthians and annex them which roman leadership and the legions are not made to do.

Massilia vs Chartage

It is different though. Alexander controlled Persia, Rome did not. If you want a Roman military expedition to India, they will either need to go by boat (which I don't see happening), or they will have to conquer Persia (which is also very unlikely to happen)

In OTL Rome did send an expedition to Yemen but it failed terribly. The thing is, it is not very difficult to fight a distant war (as in getting your army there) it is difficult to win a distant war, mainly because of supplies. Besides that distant territories are usually difficult to occupy.

I can see a Chinese expedition to Persia during the Han dynasty, but I don't think they would actually advance until Roman territory. There has been a war between the Abbassids and the Tang dynasty in OTL. I don't think its likely to happen in ancient times, but it's not impossible.

I guess you could have the Romans somehow take down the Parthians, and a Legion gets sent towards India to see how far it goes. Don't know how far they'd get, probably to the Indus Valley. It really depends on how much the Romans are willing to toss at it. I suppose, if they really wanted to, they could've taken the Indus Valley.

Could an expert, or at least someone knowledgeable, tell me the Indian civilizations that the Romans would've encountered at a point in time in which they could've taken the Parthians and marched on India?

Isn't it alleged that some survivors from Crassus's army, captured by the Parthians at Carrhae and settled as 'military colonists' in central Asia, were suebsequently taken captive again in a Parthia-Han conflict and re-settled in China? There was a fair amount of distance between the Parthian and Chinese heartlands, even though their empires' borders were rather closer to each other...

How do Mongols feature in all this? What is the point from which you measure distance? If it's Mongolia then what they did was pretty far and you can add some distance if they advance into Germany and/or Italy

So what you really need is for the Harrappans to sail to Egypt, hire a local fleet and sail on again to conquer Tartessos, in order to take over the western market of metals and thus prevent the Indus Valley collapse. :D

Isn't it alleged that some survivors from Crassus's army, captured by the Parthians at Carrhae and settled as 'military colonists' in central Asia, were suebsequently taken captive again in a Parthia-Han conflict and re-settled in China? There was a fair amount of distance between the Parthian and Chinese heartlands, even though their empires' borders were rather closer to each other...
I'm pretty sure the survivors of Carrhae were a specific case, and even if the story were true, there's a difference between a handful of Roman captives being captured and recaptured dozens of times to end up in China than have a whole Legion march into China.

Xiongnu vs. Germanic tribes would be a possibility, and no I'm not suggesting the Huns were Xiongnu. Nomadic peoples have always been able to fight wars over long distances. Combine this with ponies, and you have empires like the Mongol Khanate. The same could have happened during ancient times. I would suggest that the most distant possible war would be roughly 7000km.

Xiongnu vs. Germanic tribes would be a possibility, and no I'm not suggesting the Huns were Xiongnu. Nomadic peoples have always been able to fight wars over long distances. Combine this with ponies, and you have empires like the Mongol Khanate. The same could have happened during ancient times. I would suggest that the most distant possible war would be roughly 7000km.

This would have been virtually impossible. The Xiongnu, which was multiethnic, was much more focused on confronting the Han to the south through an extensive war that essentially lasted for over two centuries, and was eventually weakened further due to an additional civil war. Other nomadic entities spanning Central Asia were also split among several entities, such as the Xianbei (Rouran and Northern Wei), Göktürks (Eastern and Western), and the Mongols (Chagatai, Golden Horde, Ilkhanate, and the Yuan), not to mention that various entities split off from their eastern counterparts after migrating west (Huns, Avars, Magyars, Khazars, etc). Even if an eastern entity successfully managed to expand west, it would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, to deduce that they were one and the same, as they would have been ethnically diverse, and logistics would have made it for likely for a frontier region to declare independence. For example, it's disputed whether the Rouran and the Avars technically resembled the "same" entity.

As a result, Alexander's campaign in India essentially demonstrated the limits of what would have been possible in terms of distance during ancient times.

The most reasonable extremely long-distance war I've come up with so far is Romans versus Indians. I'm picturing a situation in which the Romans are fighting to conquer Yemen and some Tamil king sends an expeditionary force to oppose them.

How do Mongols feature in all this? What is the point from which you measure distance? If it's Mongolia then what they did was pretty far and you can add some distance if they advance into Germany and/or Italy
He asked for Ancient, not Medieval.

Sino-Persian war? It wouldn't be much of a war, but the Chinese historically fought with the Abbassids before being distracted by civil war and an attempted coup (never adopt a Turkish general). Could China realistically reach the Tarim basin in ancient times?

Roman Han war.

They are not too far apart around 100 AD (with minor inconveniences like Parthia and the Kushan in between) but supposing Trajan or better yet a late Republic general incorporates Mesopotamia into the Roman sphere a subsequent jump east could put them into contact.