The Free City of Memel, a Hong Kong of the Baltic?

MrP

Banned
Memel (a.k.a. Klaipeda) is a formerly German city on the Baltic that, after WW1, became a French protectorate, with the ultimate goal of granting it the same status of free city as Danzig. In OTL it was annexed by Lithuania in 1923, reclaimed by Germany in 1939, and returned to the Lithuanian SSR in 1945. But what if the Entente had resisted the Lithuanian takeover instead of more or less acquiescing to it, and made good on their plans? Would Memel have made it to the post-WW2 years as a free city, and might it have become a Hong Kong analog for the USSR?

memelland.jpg

A related question I've been asking myself is whether Germany might have used it as a bargaining chip to get Poland on its side in 1939, promising the Poles to let them claim Lithuania and Memel in exchange for getting Danzig back.

We'd need a different Soviet Union and/or different end of WWII for an independent Memel to survive.
Hong Kong belonged to one of the winners of WWII, it's legal status (being leased by the British until '97) as clear and the big country looming behind it was suffering from civil war until 1950.
None of which applies to Memel.
And it probably lacks the population base to become an economic center like Hong Kong did.

Btw, I just noticed you're back, MrP. Nice to have you here again. :)

MrP

Banned
And it probably lacks the population base to become an economic center like Hong Kong did.
HK's population received a huge boost with the waves of refugees escaping Mao's forces. In this case Memel could become a default destination to lots of displaced people from eastern Europe.

Btw, I just noticed you're back, MrP. Nice to have you here again. :)
Cheers, old boy! I came back six months ago, but in some ways I'm still getting reacquainted with the place.

No.

Hong Kong is a natural entrepot for the south China area. Memel isn't for the Baltic. Any trade can go out any number of ports. So it lacks one important long term advantage.

Mao and the PRC found Hong Kong useful. It required food and water from the PRC and thus was one of the few sources of hard currency for the PRC. The Soviets have plenty of other sources. Why would they tolerate Memel if they don't need to do so?

Relatedly, Hong Kong also allowed PRC to have a window to the west. Given its diplomatic isolation, Beijing found Hong Kong useful to pass on messages when needed. The Soviets already have diplomatic relations with much of the world.

For most of the post-World War II period, Hong Kong wasn't a port used by the PRC which shut itself off from economic contact with the West. It industrialized as a result of Chinese refugees with useful skills who rebuilt their businesses in Hong Kong and shipped Hong Kong goods overseas and imported the raw materials. It didn't actually ship PRC goods out. That didn't begin until Mao was dead and Deng Xiaoping opened up trade. That was thirty years later.

So Memel won't be serving any of the needs for the Soviets that Hong Kong did for the PRC.

But let's try to work out a POD.

The only way for Memel to thrive would be for it to avoid participating in WWII at all. Neither the Nazis nor Soviets occupy for it for some reason (almost ASB - but perhaps Memel is used by Germany as a place to exile Jews, and thus the Nazis don't want it when they could grab it. When the Final Solution comes about, instead of invading and deporting them to the camps, they believe they can just starve them out by sealing them off - but Memel barely survives through Swedish imports of food). The Soviets agree not to occupy Memel on their drive to Berlin and respect their neutrality in order to not provoke Washington and London.

Refugees flee to Memel after WWII to escape communism, bringing with them essential skills that allows them to resstablish their businesses in Memel. Stalin, inexplicably, allows this to happen - perhaps out of a concession to the US for a place to free Poles (and Balts) in the West to retire to since he won't let them into Poland or let the Baltic States be independent. However, the area quickly becomes walled up so that people can't flee to Memel to escape Communism (like what was eventually done in Berlin).

Memel does possess a variety of odd skills from a combination of its native population, displaced Jews, returning Polish and Baltic exiles from the West, and whomever could escape there from Communism. Memel then becomes a fairly successful city state, but lacks the important role as a regional entrepot that Hong Kong has after 1978 or Singapore turned into. Compared to its Communist neighbors though, it is a paradise though.

After Communism collapses, the large population of Poles, Balts, and others in Memel are able to assist their colleagues in recovering from Communism. At this point in time, it uses its existing networks to become a regional hub for trade, but mainly services, finance, and managerial expertise and technology transfer to local new Polish and Baltic businesses. It becomes the financial capital of the eastern Baltic after 1989, and as the former Communist countries develop, a major European financial center.

Memel's rise doesn't happen until the 1990s and later though unlike Hong Kong. It does become an important regional center of trade, but not an important world center.

Hong Kong belonged to one of the winners of WWII, it's legal status (being leased by the British until '97) as clear and the big country looming behind it was suffering from civil war until 1950.

Point of fact- Hong Kong was not leased until 1997. The Treaty of Nanking was for in perpetuity. It was the Kowloon mainland, along with Lantau Island and other islands (the New Territories) that were leased for 99 years. It was later Chinese bullying and US pressure that made the UK agree later on to a revision to revert all of Hong Kong. Which in my opinion was BS and if there had been some sort of lease say of a US military base in a Communist country that had declared the lease invalid the US would have just ignored the demands and kept sending the lease payment that doesn't ever get cashed. Oh wait, that's exactly what the US does to Cuba.

The UK should have put up the middle finger. But I digress and I guess the consequences could be a different ATL discussed somewhere.

WI Stalin designated the city a short-term gulag with deer-fly infested swamps, etc.
Somehow, communists and nazis continue to cram more Jews and gypsies and Volga Germans, etc. into the enclave, but it is over-looked by waves of invasion.
POD during the spring of 1945, Canadian war correspondents. "exceed their mission" and publish photographs about what a great humanitarian Uncle Joe Stalin is for protecting all these hundreds of thousands of Jews.
Western press force Stalin to postpone plans for shipping detainees to Sibetian gulags. Stalin tries to ignore the problem, but Sweden continues shipping in food aid. Some Jewish Dutch civil engineers drain the swamps to produce a long- term solution to feeding the population.
Meanwhile, Eastern European refugees flee Northwards to built a New Jerusalem on the shore of the Baltic.

Dementor

Banned
Most certainly not. If Memel is a free city, its return to Germany is even easier than OTL and after the war it will be inevitably annexed by the USSR and given to the Lithuanian SSR. The suggestions given here border on ASB - no way is Poland going to agree to the deal suggested (which would rely on them relying a very hostile Lithuania), nor would Hitler agree to give up rightful German territory (as it was seen by the vast majority of Germans). For the same reason, the idea of turning Memel into a Jewish Ghetto is even more preposterous.

Dementor

Banned
Point of fact- Hong Kong was not leased until 1997. The Treaty of Nanking was for in perpetuity. It was the Kowloon mainland, along with Lantau Island and other islands (the New Territories) that were leased for 99 years. It was later Chinese bullying and US pressure that made the UK agree later on to a revision to revert all of Hong Kong. Which in my opinion was BS and if there had been some sort of lease say of a US military base in a Communist country that had declared the lease invalid the US would have just ignored the demands and kept sending the lease payment that doesn't ever get cashed. Oh wait, that's exactly what the US does to Cuba.

The UK should have put up the middle finger. But I digress and I guess the consequences could be a different ATL discussed somewhere.
How exactly would Hong Kong going to exist without the Kowloon Mainland? This is the vast majority of its territory and the supply of most of its water.
Also China is not Cuba and the UK is not US. If the UK attempted to keep the territory past the expiry of the lease, China was fully prepared to use military force and there is no way that the UK could win this. Really, the British got the best deal they could in this situation, Anything else would not finish well.

The island was unviable without the other territories though, which was leased for 99 years...