Post Imjin Korean Conquest of Japan

Was there a way for Korea to conquer Japan during the time period between Imjin War and Meiji Restoration?

I've thought of three scenarios:

1) Korean (or perhaps Ming Korean) revanchist attack on Japan during or after Imjin War.

2) Korean intervention during Sekigahara.

3) A Jurchen-Joseon joint expedition of Japan after the Jurchen invasion of Korea, in the fashion of Yuan - Goryeo invasion of Japan.

Please come up with scenarios that you deem plausible, or comment on the options I listed above.

Note that Korea was really, really devastated during the war - more than a third of the men were dead, and half of arable lands were destroyed.
On No. 1:
Not sure if China or Korea has the naval capabilities. Japan seems to have dominated the high seas. And the war only ended because both sides were too devastated - the fall of the Ming is, mind you, due to intervention.
On No. 2:
I'll answer this a bit later, after I look at how Korea's situation was during the time.
On No. 3:
The Yuan-Goryo invasions of Japan occurred only after a military occupation of Goryeo. Dunno if the Jurchens can do this, but I'll look up how plausible this may be.
All very interesting scenarios however.

All very interesting scenarios however.
Actually I wanted to see what would happen if Korean try to practice this system in Japan.

Vietnam emulated the Chinese in some methods when dealing with conquered nations (such as Champa). I'd be interested in what would Korea do when it has its own conquered nation to be dealt with.

Last edited:
I think we could also reinvigorate the Ainus as well and conquer Kyushu only, we can maintain Honshu/Yamato independent at least on paper.

Actually I wanted to see what would happen if Korean try to practice this system in Japan.

Vietnam emulated the Chinese in some methods when dealing with conquered nations (such as Champa). I'd be interested in what would Korea do when it has its own conquered nation to be dealt with.

Seeing as what happened in Joseon's numerous expeditions against the Jurchens and Japanese(in Tsushima), I doubt they would be very interested in having influence over Japan; the largest expedition against the Jurchens resulted in coming to an agreement with the tribes there(payment of tributes) and setting a monument 600 miles north of the northernmost point of Joseon.
If we are to see actual occupation however, I suspect it would look similar to the Yuan occupation of Goryeo, since that's the system they'll be most familiar with. Its main characteristics will go as follows:
  • The royal family of Japan will be grown and educated in Seoul, along with the royal court of Japan in Edo adopting Korean lifestyles;
  • Collaborationist aristocrats are given various privileges, such as the right to collect tributes;
  • The closer domains of Japan are controlled by a different Emperor;
  • Different domains can be directly controlled by Korea.
I'll look more into this as time goes on.
But for now, here's an idea for what I thought was a good time to attack:
  1. Wei Zhongxian, with the help of Emperor Tianchi(who was illiterate), announces that there will be a counterattack to Japan's invasions on Korea two decades ago. The main reason for this movement is to make a diversion for the scholars in the royal court. Year 1624.
  2. King Injo of Joseon announces Yi Gwal, the most brilliant military commander of Korea, to be the leader of the Korean expeditionary forces. He is promised to become the leader of Japan if his invasion succeeds. Year 1625.
  3. Through the Philippines, China and Korea asks Spain whether or not they wish to help capture Japan and remove Dutch influence from the area. Spain agrees. Year 1627.
  4. Execution of thousands of Christians across Japan. Many go into hiding or seek help from the Spanish. Year 1629.
  5. Sino-Korean-Spanish invasion of Japan. First wave of invasions includes 400,000 soldiers. They make headland into Kyushu and cut off support from the other islands. Help from the "Western Domains"(once pro-Toyotomi factions) is requested via spies. Year 1629.
  6. Kyushu is completely captured. The Chinese and Koreans make headway into Yamaguchi, with very severe losses. Kyushu comes under heavy fire, as the Japanese continuously try to recapture the island. The Spanish make headway into Shima domain. Year 1630.
  7. Many of the domains rise against the Emperor and side with the Sino-Korean Army. The army, with the Spanish, lay siege to and capture Kyoto. From the north, Ainu forces with aid of Koreans invade mainland Honshu and make their way towards Edo. Manchu invasions into mainland China become more severe. Year 1631.
  8. Chinese armies become replaced and Korean forces replace their positions. An agreement of peace is made with the various domains. Sino-Korean occupation, pillaging and rape has destroyed the Japanese economy; more than a third of all Japanese men are dead. Year 1632.