Favorite WW I Aircraft

Many have many favorite WWII aircraft. I know I do. But what about the preceding conflict, when new designs could be built and tested in 8 weeks, and obsolete in 6 months? Picking one seems undoable, so pick two.

SE5a, and Fokker DVII.

the Fokker Dr1, because it is so iconic

Fokker_Dr.1_RoteBaron.jpg

and the Ilya Muromets, just because it was gigantic for the time
220px-14082007-Illya-Muromec-1.jpg

300px-Самолет_%22Илья_Муромец%22.jpg

Well, since you said "aircraft" and not "airplane"... I will say the L. 59 Zeppelin. It is just such an interesting story, in my view. I don't think I could choose a favorite fighter, as there are just too many iconic designs.

Sticking with my "failure is more interesting than success" meme, I'd like to nominate the Airco DH5.

After designing the DH2 (which was actually pretty good, given the design constraints), Geoffrey de Havilland was finally given an interruptor gear and came up with this total dog's breakfast. Sigh.

DH5_serial_A919x.jpg
dh5_05_cj.jpg

I'm going with the SPAD XIII a sturdy and reliable war horse :D. In many ways I like to think of it as the Spiritual ancestor of both the FW-190A & P-47D :D.

Since you said pick two, my second choice is the infamous Fokker E.1. Eindecker aka " The Fokker Scourge " the first true Fighter Aircraft.

Last edited:
BE2a because it did exactly what it was designed to do. A pity that the onset of fighters totally destroyed the idea of a totally stable recon platform!
Otherwise SE5a, DH4 and DH9a (NOT the Puma engined DH9), Sopwith triplane, the Sopwith Cuckoo and the multiple Albatros fighters.

Fokker D.7 sure has its perks and fans, as does the Sopwith Camel. Personally I think the Camel 2F.1 is probably slightly better, though the D.7 would be a bit better than the Camel F.1. I also think the Sopwith Snipe deserves credit but was not in service long enough to have gained much of a reputation. The Junkers J2 of 1916 was also an impressive, if experimental, engineering feat for its time.

Certainly not a top performer, but then with early aircraft, I tend to favor appearance over function.
One of my favorite has always been the F.E.2:

fe2b-9912-side-view.preview.jpg

And for number 2, I continue with my affinity for interesting layouts and concepts; the Gotha G.1 based UWD.

gotha_uwd.jpg

dhm1798.jpg

Of course, only 1 example built probably doesn't qualify it per the OP, in which case, I would have to defer back to the G.1.

GothaG1_3.jpg

Although, the Goth G.IV is a very close runner up:

gothabox.jpg

Last edited:
We can Pick 2!!!!

In that case SE5a one of the 2 aircraft that gave the Allies air superiority

And the Camel - because it was the other

Driftless

Donor
Moraine-Saulnier N - "the Bullet" - A conversion of a racing plane, with only modest success, but the shape of things to come. Ditch the spinner, or make it smaller(prevent over-heating) and give it real ailerons.

pabtypena.jpg

Well, since you said "aircraft" and not "airplane"... I will say the L. 59 Zeppelin. It is just such an interesting story, in my view. I don't think I could choose a favorite fighter, as there are just too many iconic designs.

Seconded: L59 Zeppelin "Das Afrika Schiff". It's a favorite for being a Zeppelin and especially for the Africa mission. Truth is often stranger than fiction.
kb032.jpg

Zeppelins, obviously.

But if you mean "heavier than air" craft, I have several:

Pfalz D.III because its so sleek and beautiful
Albatros D.III-V also because they are sleek and beautiful
S.E.5 my favorite British fighter aesthetically
Sopwith Camel
Fokker DR I and Sopwith Triplane What's not to like about anything with more than two wings?
LFG (Roland) CL II Walfisch
LFG (Roland) D. IV and its crazy rowboat clinker construction
Junkers J.1 early day Sturmovik, sort of

I actually hate the Fokker D.VII. It may have been a great fighter but its incredibly boring and ugly to look at.