Save the Matchless motorcycle company

I've been a fan of Matchless motorcycles for years, and an avid British bike fan (and owner) for over a decade. Unlike almost all British motorcycles from the Midlands, the Matchless (AMC) Plumstead factory was located only 6 miles from my house https://goo.gl/maps/6muNGveQYgt

From this factory Associated Motorcycles (AMC) produced complete Matchless, AJS and later Norton bikes (never the Commando), as well as 2-stroke engines for Francis-Barnett and James bikes made in the Midlands.

$_1.JPG

ajs13081201.jpg

194851175_216c6ea7f5.jpg

james-captain-200.jpg

BTW - Lots of info on Matchless/AJS here http://archives.jampot.dk/

There are some great books on AMC history, plus a good summary in Bert Hopwood's book, Whatever Happened to the British Motorcycle Industry. So, if we're going to save the company we need some dramatic changes. For starters, we must chuck out the management, was was attempted in the early 1960s. Next we need to re-invest profits back into the firm, not just pay them all out in dividends. If you read http://www.amazon.ca/Motorcycle-Apprentice-Matchless-name-reputation/dp/1845841794 and other books, you'll see that the design department knew that the future was 3-4 cylinder superbikes, and that's what they asked to build. I'm thus convinced there was potential....

The factory itself was in good condition, with modern equipment.

negcyclematchfact.jpg

Unlike the rest of the British motorcycle industry making due with Edwardian machine tools, AMC was entirely re-tooled by the Herbert Company, see their summary of the updates here. http://archives.jampot.dk/general/AMC_Factory_Engineering_eqiupment_setup_(Machine_Tool_Review.pdf

Last edited:
So, here's my proposal to save the company, occurring 1961 (ten years before my arrival in Lewisham):

1) Sell off Norton at top dollar, along with its patented featherbed frame and road holder forks
2) Sell off James and Francis-Barnett at a discount.
3) Stop all production of 2-strokes. The AMC engine, while brand new was rubbish, without an oil metering valve that by now was standard on Japanese machines.
4) Stop production of AJS brand. Don't sell it off, as you'll just start a competitor. Instead, draw AJS customers to the identical Matchless models.
5) Drop the small bikes (G2, G3, G5 and G80). This is obsolete or Nippon territory now.
6) Drop all road racing bike production, and drop out of the road racing business for at least 5 years. Scrambles versions of street machines are permitted.
7) Focus on just one machine, the G12 twin 650cc.
8) Skip production of the G15, as this uses the now sold-off Norton Atlas engine.

Matchless-Motorcycle-Poster.jpg

Last edited:
Thus, 1961 model year consists of three machines....

G12 Deluxe

matchless-g12.jpg
G12.jpg

G12 CS Scrambler

1959_Matchless_G12CS.jpg

G12 CSR (Competition-Sport)

Matchless_G12_CSR_010.jpg.2099514.jpg

Last edited:
This dramatic re-focus of the company would be provide these benefits for 1962:

1) Influx of sizable one-time funds from sale of Norton, and less so of James and FB enabling investment in quality, re-tooling the factory and future product design
2) Opportunities for significant reductions in labour personnel and cost
3) Opportunities for major savings in production due to focus on AIUI the by far top selling engine model, the G12 twin (after the now gone Atlas 650cc).

This would give Matchless six years or so to develop new larger capacity machines for both the North American and European markets. Perhaps a new Model X v-twin.

Though for starters I'd look to Laverda for inspiration (or acquisition) as their 1969 Laverda 750S was exactly what Britain should have been making, an oil-tight, vibration-free (almost) parallel twin.

Laverda%20750S%2070.jpg

So, get rid of everything I find memorable, and butt heads instead with BSA, Triumph and Norton, as well as the dreaded Royal Enfield . How did the twins stack up against the BSA A-10? BSA was turning a profit back then.

I rode an AJS 500 Compi once, but I was too Japanese already, stepping on the brake and gearing down.
Broken kickstarter too.

AMC.jpg

I agree with the doing the "Pontiac thing" to AJS. Most of the AJS bikes were identical the the Matchless bikes, and only served to dilute the Matchless brand name.

One other thing thing that might have helped Matchless survive longer, was if they had tried to produce more, performance oriented models in the 60s. Other than the single cylinder G80 based models, they really didn't have any other performance oriented models, and as it was, the G80 based street bikes were not that common (especially the production racer versions), and were getting long in the tooth (performance oriented single cylinder streetbikes had pretty much gone out of vogue by the mid 60s).

The dirt bike version of the G80, was a pretty decent bike, but would have probably only been good until the late 60s, or early 70s at best, as a model, due to the arrival of larger displacement two stroke engined dirtbikes (which were lighter [weight reduction is good in dirt bikes - less mass to wrestle with, when trying to keep a bucking motorcycle under control], and more powerful).

IMO, in the short term streetbike-wise, refine to the quality of the current models to Japanese streetbike levels (get rid of the oil leaks), and increase the performance of the 2-cylinder Matchless street machines (they were basically configured as commuter bikes - not so cool in the 60s, when motorcycles in England, were no longer seen as the primary means of transportation, but as sport/leisure machines for having fun on [a mentality that served Honda well in the US market]). Long term, do what Triumph missed the boat on (when it blew off the 4-cylinder prototype in 1964) - develop a 4 cylinder, or even a 3-cylinder machine (but as a well engineered engine design - not a quick and dirty grafting on of an extra cylinder onto a 500cc twin - like the Trident/Rocket 3 seemed to be), and do it by 1968. This will hopefully avoid the unpleasant surprise, that Triumph, Norton, and BSA experienced, when Honda wowed the bike buying public with the 4-cylinder CB750 in 1969, which helped to make twin cylinder motorcycles seem passe as performance machines by the mid 70s, resulting in sales losses, and causing the death of the remaining British motorcycle manufacturers by 1982.

Dirtbike-wise - long term, either bite the bullet, and develop two-stroke powered dirtbikes (not using the mediocre at best Villiers 2-stroke engine, that the British motorcycle industry seemed to be in love with), or do like Triumph and Norton ended up doing - get out of the dirt bike market, using the money saved by doing so, to help bolster the street bike line.

Considering that the movers and shakers of the British motorcycle industry really weren't interested in putting serious money into motorcycle development (partly due to a lack of funds caused by bad business deals, and a desire to get as much profit as possible on the cheap), it's doubtful that any real effort would be made (beyond cosmetic changes, relatively cheap fixes like the Trident/Rocket III; and Norton Commando [which was basically an offshoot of the Atlas, using a different frame to deal with the jackhammer vibration of the the 750cc engine], or making cheap, small displacement 2-strokes), to update the bikes (currently) made in the early and/or mid 60s, or develop genuinely new models. to help keep Matchless going.

Last edited:
Though for starters I'd look to Laverda for inspiration (or acquisition) as their 1969 Laverda 750S was exactly what Britain should have been making, an oil-tight, vibration-free (almost) parallel twin.

I did ride one of those. They were great, but didn't turn freely, and buzzed noticeably and vibrated tail-light bulb filaments. What ever happened to Laverda? The one I rode was a trade-in.

I did ride one of those. They were great, but didn't turn freely, and buzzed noticeably and vibrated tail-light bulb filaments. What ever happened to Laverda? The one I rode was a trade-in.

Laverda was a family owned company that mainly made agricultural equipment (like John Deere does). Motorcycles were never their main thing. They did OK financially with the two cylinder 750cc SFC, and the (for it's time) monster performance 3-cylnder 1000cc Jota (the first production bike capable of doing 140 mph), but neither of those models were ever super common IMO. Their other bike of note, the twin cylnder 500cc Alpino, was always pretty rare.

In the late 70s, Laverda threw a big chunk of money into developing an opposed 6-cylnder endurance racer, that it was hoped, would spill over/benefit streetbike sales. That never happened. The bike only competed in one race (where it didn't do very well), and it sort of faded into obscurity, making the money spent on its development, money that went down the drain. Laverda carried on with the triples (Jota and Mirage), and called it quits in 1985.

In the late 80s, there was an effort to revive the Laverda motorcycle brand as it's own independent company (not connected to the Laverda family). That version of the company sold some relatively modern twins, and showed a prototype 3-cylinder machine at some motorcycle shows. Aprillia bought Laverda in 2000, and was itself bought by Piaggio in 2004. Piaggio, killed Laverda motorcycle production, and has no desire to re-start it (though they are not averse to selling the Laverda brand name to somebody else, for the right amount of money).

So Laverda makes combine harvesters, Lamorghini makes tractors, and Agusta makes helicopters. Maybe Matchless should have made round-balers, rather than BSA clones. With hindsight, it might have been better to keep the Franny-bee marque and turn it into a Honda 50 step-through clone, with a modern engineered little engine. You can't make a splash in the market playing to competitor's strengths. Honda didn't.

So Laverda makes combine harvesters, Lamorghini makes tractors, and Agusta makes helicopters. Maybe Matchless should have made round-balers, rather than BSA clones. With hindsight, it might have been better to keep the Franny-bee marque and turn it into a Honda 50 step-through clone, with a modern engineered little engine. You can't make a splash in the market playing to competitor's strengths. Honda didn't.

Agreed, being part of a bigger, mainly non-motorcycle oriented corporation, would have probably provided a bigger source of money, that could have been spent on refining the motorcycles. The 70s Agustas were classy bikes, and Laverdas were very well engineered, using top quality Japanese and German electric components, and speedometers, unlike the British motorcycle industry's reliance on the Prince of Darkness' (Lucas) products. But like other coporations, that have red headed stepchild products, sooner or later, the relatively small contribution that motorcycles make to the company's bottom line, would probably have gotten Matchless shut down. This happened to Laverda, in 1985, due to the motorcycle boom fizzling out by 1983 or 84. MV Agusta - motorcycles were mainly considered by the rest of the Agusta family to be Count Domenico Agusta's (the family patriarch) hobby. When the count died, the family shut down motorcycle production (which as it was, had always had modest levels).

Matchless really needed to make it on its own, to reduce its chances of becoming a casualty of a large corporation's cost cutting.

BTW, Agusta is back in business, but it is a completey different company (no longer owned by the Agusta family), and mainly makes pricey sportbikes.

Everyone has different tastes. This is one of mine. I'm a clubman kind of guy.

Yeah, those are kind of cool. I love my Thruxton (I can't wait until the weather warms up, and I can start riding it again). Unfortunately, sporty/racey single cylinder bikes, are even more of a niche product than cafe racers in general are. It's one of the reasons why Honda's old GB500, only sold in small amounts. So, unless you have a small company, they can't be counted on to majorly provide enough money to keep that company going.

Oh, here's my Thruxton (the all new, 2016 ones are even cooler!):D
76653996-2dfa-4b01-90a4-e8d39944057f_zpskr5io2im.jpg

Last edited:
That looks kinda like a niche product to me. Nice lookin' niche.

Thanks. :)

To an extent it is, but it is a relatively popular bike - Triumph has been making them since 2004. I bought it new from a local (Milwaukee area) dealership in 2014. For some reason, café racers are seeing an upswing in popularity. Maybe some riders are getting sick of Harley, and Harley clone cruisers, or want something kind of sporty, that isn't a 4-cylinder and Italian V-Twin race rep.

Big singles are cool, but a little underwhelming performance-wise to me (with the exception of the very pricey for a single KTM Duke [that's also not available around here - and I don't want it enough to travel 100 miles to the nearest KTM dealer, to buy it]). Vertical twins are nice, and while not as fire breathing as a Ducati or Aprilia V-twin, or 4-cylinder bike, are much spunkier than a big single, or most 60s era Britbikes.

So Laverda makes combine harvesters, Lamorghini makes tractors, and Agusta makes helicopters. Maybe Matchless should have made round-balers, rather than BSA clones.
We forget that Villers was the Honda small engines of the day. Perhaps Matchless could use their FB-James 2-strokes to take over Villers share of the small engine biz.

hqdefault.jpg

imag0531.jpg

villiers_two-stroke-thumper.jpg

To be clear, Matchless weren't BSA clones. Matchless was producing race winning motorcycles, including the 1907 Isle of Man winner, years before BSA put an engine on their bicycles. Matchless were the first to introduce hydraulic front forks, when BSA's (and everyone else in Blighty) were making due with girder forks.

teledraulic.jpg

Last edited:
Matchless was producing race winning motorcycles, including the 1907 Isle of Man winner, years before BSA put an engine on their bicycles.

I thought we were dropping out of road racing as being unimportant. My mistake. The following year, 1908, Scott, of the banshee wail, introduced telescopic forks, but not hydraulics. That had to wait for the Danish Nimbus in 1934, on their in-line 4. BMW followed suit shortly after and kept it till 1954 when they adopted the Earles-type, to 1970 when they reverted to telescopic again. How about Velocette! Did they introduce hydraulic rear shock and swing-arm suspension? Apparently, Moto-Guzzi preceded them. More barbaric systems preceded their efforts as well.

There were 2 Matchless motorcycles at the 1907 TT. One won, one dnf.

I thought we were dropping out of road racing as being unimportant.
We are. I was addressing the belief that Matchless was making BSA clones, when in fact Matchless was making motorcycles before BSA.

That said, I'd be fine with Matchless returning to road racing, but only if they're fielding race bikes that inspire sales of superficially similar road machines, such as the 500cc G45 that shared the basic engine of the road going G9.

06_matchlessw_g45.jpg-1000x671.jpg

matchless-g9-11.jpg

The trouble with racing is that it distracts from the business of selling bikes. If you have the budget to focus on both, then racing can help with the marketing, but otherwise, there's better places to spend the money than racing. Such as quality control, investment in manufacturing and future design innovation. That said, I'd love to see a revitalized Matchless return to racing with a triple or four cylinder machine into the 1980s and beyond. It would be the ultimate declaration of renewed confidence in the brand and company.

Once you get the product lines focused on the G12 twins, plan differentiation from the other British bikes. How about we return to the 4-cylinder Silver Hawk and V-twin Model X for inspiration for the 1965 models?

mat5.jpg

Concorso-dEleganza-Villa-dEste-2015-12.jpg

Last edited:
We are. I was addressing the belief that Matchless was making BSA clones, when in fact Matchless was making motorcycles before BSA.

They aren't clones. They are similar, almost alike, as were 650 Triumph and Norton motorcycles, but less so. Still, the market at the time had BSA making big money, while Matchless made little and then none. What innovations make Matchless the bike to purchase rather than BSA, Triumph or Norton?

Matchless was making motorcycles before Triumph, and beat Triumph in the 1907 TT. What do you ride?