The Great Calamity: An Abbasid/Zanj rebellion tl

Questioner: What do you say of the Quran?

Shaykh Ahmad ibn Hanbal(refer to him as Shaykh Hanbal): And you, what do you say about the Knowledge of Allah, The Most High?

Questioner: Did not Allah say "Allah is the creator of all things (Q 13:6)" and is the Quran not a thing?

Shaykh Hanbal: Allah also said "Destroying all things (Q 46:25)", then it destroyed all except whatever Allah willed.

Questioner: "Never comes into them a new reminder from their Lord (Q 21:2)". Can something new be created?

Shaykh Hanbal: "By the Quran that contains the reminder (Q 38:1)". "The" reminder is the Quran and no other says "the".

Questioner: But Shaykh Imran ibn Husayn says "Allah created the reminder."

Shaykh Hanbal: That is not correct, for several have narrated "Allah wrote the reminder."

Questioner: Shaykh Ma'sud says "Allah, Most High, did not create a paradise nor a fire of hell nor a heaven not a earth more tremendous than his own throne."

Shaykh ibn Hanbal: The creation here implies to the items said (paraphrased, he goes on a tangent listing all the things Allah created). It does not apply to the Quran.

The Questions of the Mihna and the Khilafah under the Caliph al-Ma'mun. In this questioning was the imprisonment of the grand Shaykh Ahmad ibn Hanbal.

The rise of the Mu'Tazila and the great Mihna

The word Mu'Tazila come from i'tazala which means to withdraw or to back away from, this is in contrast to the word Khawarij which means to separate. This word and name comes from the life and experience of Wasit ibn Ata who during a debate with Shaykh ul-Islam Hassan al-Basri, left the prayer circle (withdrew) and created his own circle. His main point of contention was that the Quran and the attributes of Allah were created at an unknown point in time and that the only thing uncreated was Allah's Uluhiyyah (his right to be worshipped alone) and all else including his throne was not eternal but created and then became an attribute or never was an attribute. This prayer circle that Wasit ibn Ata created, became the Mu'Tazila and became the last of the classical splinter groups of Islam, following the Khawarij, Shi'i and Murji'ah. The Mu'Tazila became over time a body of reason and s hence within the Ummah without making its views known publicly, they aided the Ummah in the wars of Jihad and against the Khawarij, Murji'ah and Shi'i revolts and favored the innovative taxing plans by late Ummayad rulers in regards to taxation on land and farming resources. However, as a group it was unknown their views on religion and was deemed Sunni or just Sunni with an emphasis on reasoned approach.

These ideals began to change as movements of the Mu'Tazila began to support the newly created Abbasid state supporting the overthrow of the Umayyad and thus gaining allies in the new courts of the Abbasid period. Abbasid court life from the beginning started to diverge from that of the Umayyad in regards to its alliances with minorities and learned individuals opposed to the traditional Muhjahid and tribes. Thus the final product was a more progressive state focused on innovative reform and economic growth rather than outward expansion as preached by the Umayyad. Further the Abbasid realm seeking to differentiate itself from the Umayyad further sought to find faults in the religion of the Umayyad so that their overthrow was legitimate. The first groups they began to turn to for this were the Mu'Tazila during the reign of al-Amin (787-813). Al-Amin while not institutionalizing the ideology accepted many of its premises, including the belief that the Umayyad had committed Kufr Akbar by taking pictures from churches of prophets and putting them upon walls in the palace at Dimshaq. Thus the beginning of the stranglehold of the Mu'Tazila and the start of what is called the Baghdad clique.

The rise of al-Ma'mun and the start of the Mihna

By the beginning of the reign of the of al-Ma'mun, the Mu'Tazila had taken control of the court in Baghdad and had persuaded the Caliph to accept the views that the Quran was created. Al-Ma'mun then under the authority of his allies, the Mu'Tazila (made up of Ulema and scientists) started what is called the Mihna, which means roughly the inquisition. This inquisition started off as a state sponsored ideology, which was to be preached to the Ulema across the Caliphate and then this view espoused would be distributed to the common man, and over time, Mu'Tazilism would replace Sunni Islam as the major ideology of the Ummah. However, as the preaching and persuasion of the Ulema became ineffective, the tactic became one of coercion and thus the name. Prominent Ulema were murdered in the cells of Baghdad and in the fields of Iraq for refusing to say the Quran was uncreated. However the Mihna met a unmovable object to whom murder was difficult.

The honorable Shaykh Ahmad ibn Hanbal was born in Baghdad 781 from Bedoiun originally from Basra. As a teen he studied under the famed Abu Yusuf, the top pupil of Shaykh Abu Hanifah. He became renowned for his mastery of the Hadith and travelled across the Islamic world collecting over 400 authentic Hadith narration a creating the encyclopedia of Fiqh rulings called the al-Musnad, the major Hanbali work used by Saudi Arabia. However, his fame having been created, the Mu'Tazila sent upon him inquisitors to inquire on his Aqeedah (heart) and what was his Manhaj (path). Shaykh ibn Hanbal proved to be far to eloquent and well placed with his words that the inquisitors from far and wide came back to Baghdad with the same answer, that he neither could decide if the Shaykh was with them or against them.

In response to Ahmad ibn Hanbal's witty responses and evasion of authorities while in Syria, he was called by order of the Caliph to Baghdad immediately, as was many Ulema before him, so that he would be convinced away from the ways of the Sunnah or executed and punished for defiance.

"And there is a type of person which gives his life for the pleasure of Allah." Quran 2:207

Ahmad ibn Hanbal agreed to the journey and made for Baghdad. Upon his arrival the city rejoiced at the entry of such a famed Ulema and in his home city nonetheless. He knowing the people visited the Masjids and greeted the people as a famed person, the people loved him for his work and his honesty in regards to the state. However this love was not shared within the court of al-Mu'tasim. The Mu'Tazila debated for days with the Shaykh and attempted to convince him of the creation of the Quran, but the Shaykh stood defiant and sought only to please the one to whom he prayed, not those upon the Shirk or deviant. The proclamation was heard easily, that Allah is filled with the attributes and that the attributes are uncreated and are always a part of him neither created nor ever forgot. This claim was all the Mu'Tazila needed.... They threw him into prison and debated amongst themselves on what to do with him. If he was to be released then he would spread his idea and Baghdad would be in rebellion or they kill him and then Baghdad will again be in rebellion. Thus the action was to keep him in prison and torture him constantly so to force a recant of past ideas. However, in a certain instance of flogging, the people hearing of the suffering of Ahmad ibn Hanbal rioted throughout the city. With wars against the Khurramiyah in Iran, he let the Shaykh go, yet still the damage was done and all knew of the corruption permeating from the Abbasid throne in Baghdad (moving to Samarra at this point).

Shaykh ibn Hanbal would spend the rest of his life inciting the people and speaking against the corruption of the Abbasid state and attacking the tyrannical policy of the Mihna and would face off against the inquisitors of the following al-Wathiq in the 840s. Shaykh Ahmad ibn Hanbal died in 855 in Baghdad of natural causes, after spending his entire life exposing the corruption rampant within the clique of Baghdad that has forsaken its post as the Khilafah and called upon all men and women to fear Allah and to live with the safeguardence and be watchful.

As the Mihna occurred in Iraq, the Khurramiyah known as those upon the religion of joy, had arose to engage the Abbasid in northern Iran. The Khurramiyah called upon Iran to rebel under the cause of righteousness and take back the land lost during the Islamic conquest. It mixed Zoroastrian and Mazdak views with a radical, likely Khawarij inspired, view and thus created a zealous army of peasant soldiers in the hill country of Zanjan. It's leader Banak Khurram lead the group in a rebellion against the Abbasid, and as it is said, "raised the red flag of joy and honor." The Khurramiyah believed in progressive views on sexuality, believing in free sex amongst people with consent and wore red entirely into battle, further they outlawed violence in all cases except in times of rebellion. The rebellion gained fame for achieving victories in Azerbaijan and Golestan against the Khilafah. It would last as the constant backdrop to the north, their raids a constant reminder to tbe Muslim of the weakness of the state which proclaimed the mantle of the Ummah.

Word travels fast in the desert and in the Masjid as it is said, so it did. The word of the treatment of the Ulema and the innovation rampant in the state of the Abbasid was becoming obvious to all with eyes to see, and words became sermons, and the Bedoiun spoke of the injustice as he travelled and the city fined with discontent. The Khawarij lamented of previous loses and the woeful situation they were in, yet they saw ever more opportunity. They claimed with daring words that the Abbasid was false and upon the Shirk for they have taken lords other than Allah and their rule is tyranny. In the same Shi'i worried of the loses and martyrs suffered during the Mihna for being Shi'i and the end of the Shumaytiyya (I will cover then in another chapter, as they pertain to it). The transport of Zanj slaves was larger than ever before and the land to the south of Baghdad fueled by a slave economy in which the toil was unbearable.

In other words the land was ripe for revolt and the blood of the martyrs.

In the next chapter I would like to cover the Anarchy of Samarra, reign of al-Wathiq, Yahya ibn Umar abd the tragedy of al-Muhtadi. As well, the situation of Mamluk slaves in relation to the Arab Muhjahid.

Thus was my first tl and I do not know if this is quality or not.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll be following this. So is this all real history so far? Will the Zanj do better?

Yes, currently there has been no changes or breaks with otl, I expect to change history for the actual rebellion and give them success at Baghdad. As well, I plan at that point to widen the range of the tl, almost as the Zanj rebellion looks to all its sides. So yes, I will try to write them in to do better.

The Khurrumiyah sound very interesting, I've never heard of them before. Look forward to seeing more.

Interesting I'll be following ... should be to encourage this kind of TL. uncommon to find and set in time periods and Islamic societies.

I look forward to its development and your ''handling of the Butterflies''.

This is very interesting!
I will be following closely.

I've never even heard of these Khurramiyah before (probably because they lost).

Also, the divergences are already happening aren't they? Ibn Hanbal did not start riots last time, he was released on the threat of an uprising as I understand it.

Interesting I'll be following ... should be to encourage this kind of TL. uncommon to find and set in time periods and Islamic societies.

I look forward to its development and your ''handling of the Butterflies''.

I also second this motion, there really aren't enough TL's of this kind on the website, barring ottoman ones.(Actually those are few in number too)

This is very interesting!
I will be following closely.

I've never even heard of these Khurramiyah before (probably because they lost).

Also, the divergences are already happening aren't they? Ibn Hanbal did not start riots last time, he was released on the threat of an uprising as I understand it.

I also second this motion, there really aren't enough TL's of this kind on the website, barring ottoman ones.(Actually those are few in number too)

Ibn Hanbal's treatment caused light riots with threats of uprisings in Baghdad according to al-Mas'udi. I will check al-Tabari.

Also look up the Khurramiyah by its Farsi name, Khurramites and there are more information on them then. I use the Arabic word for them for obvious reasons and prefer its sound lol. But yes, the Khurramiyah are somewhat obscure.

Recap: the life of Ahmad ibn Hambal was put into jeopardy by the Mihna of the Caliph's Ma'mun, Mu'tasim and Wathiq and the rise of the Baghdad clique. Including in passing I mentioned the transfer of power frok Baghdad to Samarra as part of a scheme to further move from its population base (Paris to Versailles? Lol). As well, I am skipping the majority of al-Mu'tasim's reign as it was mainly pertaining to Ahmad ibn Hanbal and to the moving from Baghdad to Samarra and auelling small scale revolts and actually losing several battles in Iran.

The Reign of al-Wathiq

Al-Wathiq took to the reigns of power in 842 AD, following Mu'tasim. His reign began with being the first Abbasid ruler centered in Samarra and for a time one of the most favored by the Turkish Mamluks who by this time had began to eclipse the Mu'Tazila in power and strength. Al-Wathiq early in his reign experienced a revolt in Baghdad led by Ahmad bin Nasr, a prominent cleric in and around the city of Baghdad. Ahmad ibn Nasr however in the time of confrontation ordered his supporters to stand down and he submitted to al-Wathiq, who personally led the Mamluk army against Ahmad ibn Nasr. In the arrest and subsequent interrogation, Ahmad refused to accept that the Quran was created and was executed personally by al-Wathiq only several days following his arrest, however due to the large Mamluk army stationed, the people of Baghdad kept peace.

For one to understand this time, one must know the situation of Mamluk vs Arab sentimicies within the Ummah of the time period and to not assume anything. During the Mihna, it became clear that the majority of the Arabs would not adopt Mu'Tazila ideas not be obedient forever, thus Mu'tasim deemed it necessary the creation of large scale Turkish armies giving high positions to them and taking them from Arabs. The entire system became a movement and reform to disenfranchise Arab citizens who were not engaged in violent occupations and replace them with (seemingly) subservient subjects who brought from foreign lands became property directly of the state. Thus the weakening of Arab martial quality in general tactics and the rise of the Mamluk faction, who quickly saw its position and survival as such a minority well; the complete defeat in court of the Mu'Tazila, Arab clerics and bending the Caliph to their will. As well, the role of military tacticians and knights was already owned by them.

The reform toward the Turkish Mamluks for the first time saw the Islamic armies using mounted archers opposed to javelins and massed light infantry. This put the army in a short period of superiority over its neighbors. No longer was the Abbasid armies fighting a similar foe in rebellions, now the rebels fought mounted archers, heavy infantry (to absorb while the Mamluks performed) and a smaller archer core as the roles were fit by all purpose Mamluk Knights of both armored and in armored fashion.

In all accounts, this move is clear and obvious, it was to have a loyal and blind population to control its angry Arab population and remove dissent easily. However these Mamluks caused massive discontent as they rarely spoke Arabic and often times were brutal to the populace and the overall degradation of the Arab commoner was disheartening to a people once proud who stood upon the top of the world in the Umayyad period and dared any opponent to join in an engagement.

Even with the Mamluks, another slave and property of the state and product of the Mihna and widespread move by the Baghdad clique to shift power away. This slave was the Zanj, or a black slave from Africa mainly the areas around the Great Lakes as opposed to the Swahili. These people were brought from far and wide to serve as obedient slaves who without knowledge of customs and lacking the honor of the Arab would be blind in their slavery. Further, it was believed widely at the time that the African south of Ethiopia was stronger and more apt at intensive farming and toil, including this the more desirable aspect was the belief that they lacked the intellect to understand their captivity and thus unable to rebel. To add the ultimate insult was that the majority of men were castrated so as to limit their supposed "African fertility" as had been done at rare occasions in the days before Islam, it became widespread and was the dishonor of the Zanj, not truly men and only slaves....

The toil in the Sawad (southern Iraq) was as well unbearable for Zanj or Arab alike. Fields upon fields were farmed in the marshes and salt mines from the desert. Arab freemen, Zanj and Persian slaves farmed under supervision of small plantations some private and others state ran and according to some sources (this is compete conjecture, it is not fully known) remnant fishing communities perhaps being surviving Sumerian peoples (it is well noted they spoke a language other than Arabic or Syriac). Despite the high sprawl and splendor of Baghdad, it was fueled by the slave economy to the south and the immense wealth brought from it and the slaves the most important resource. The only difficulty was keeping a steady amount flowing in from the ports at Yemen and Oman, as well as from India, Afghanistan (Zabul), Zoroastrians, Christians from Europe, nomadic slaves acquired from the Khazar or from raiding into the Caucus and Armenia. However, out of all the slaves the worst conditio wise was those from Africa brought to the Sawad were their life became the plough and lover the marshe.

The caliph al-Wathiq however (let's diverge finally!), began his year in 847 with a campaign into Iran as he usually led his armies, and in an attempt to defeat the Khurramiyyah. Al-Wathiq's goal is intending to quell the revolt once in for all by invading the hill land on Zanjan and crushing the towns and villages now fuming with radical Khurramite propaganda. The initial conflicts between al-Wathiq and the Khurramiyah were light skirmishes in which his Mamluk cavalry massacred the massed peasant infantry of the Khurramiyyah. However with each victory it seemed the force of the enemy grew. Little did they know that the enemy was forming and coalescing in certain choke points and mountain passes throughout Zanjan and southern Azerbaijan seeking to slowly lure the cavalry army into a enclosed fight in which their massed infantry would swarm the hubris opponet. Despite this, al-Wathiq a confident commander having beat the Banu Nuyam in Anbar the year before was confident engaging the fleeing armies of revolutionaries deeper north. This led to the decisive battle of Chuvarabiq, in the north of Zanjan. The battle fought in between two hills featured a main Khurramite army led by its leader Babak Khurram however behind the hills two small armies of Khurramite Warriors who gained fame in previous raids. The Abbasid army was then surprised as they were assaulted by fast moving lightly armored infantry on all sides except from behind. In the ensueing conflict, al-Wathiq was slain by Khurramite Warriors and his army decisively defeated.

The news travelled far and wide and fast, there was no hiding it, the Amir al-Mu'minin was killed and killed by disbelieving rebels in Iran. Within the court, the Turks in conjunction with the feeling of the people, blamed the loss on the Mihna and the Mu'Tazila. Thus, the new Caliph became al-Muwattikkil the brother of al-Wathiq who officially ended the Mihna whilst also also remaining apart of the wider Mu'Tazila movement. He then devoted his rule to the quelling the Khurramite threat.

The goals by al-Muwattakkil were cut short early as in 848, a revolt broke out in the Najd from Bedoiun forces seeking for autonomy and freedom from the Zakat. The revolt would last for a year before being quelled by the Mamluk armies and Shi'i levies benefitting from defeating the Bedoiun forces. As well, in the same year, Shi'i rebels took control of various oasis in the Haasa, however more pressing matters were occurring to the north....

Due to a year of peace and fresh raiding, and the victory over the Caliphate, more came to join the movement and the Red Flag was raised and as proclaimed by its leader Babak Khurram a new millennium had begun. The Khurramiyyah which had begun as a reactive movement with no leader and typically decentralized into peasant revolutionary communities was now more and more becoming a state and a competitor under the continually empowering Babak Khurram, who claimed the movement's name as his. Upon his flag it was written:

للشرف For honor
لمعرفة الحقيقة For truth
ويأتي الضوء Come the light

He then gave a speech to hearten his people accustom to defense to join in a real raid and an invasion. He said:

"It is time the truth be made evident and the will of the divine manifest. A dawn is upon a believing people and its color is draped in red. The assured victory is before us all that is incumbent upon us is to run, run into the inevitable victory that beckons to those upon the truth and shun the evil. Therefore come with me, and we shall run to Iraq!" (I made that up, there is very obscure evidence on anything they said, so I'm making it interesting, I hope to make this type of thing a staple in my tl)

All the people became amazed and followed into war, he quickly made his way through Armenia picking up Kurds and raiding villages. Babak made for the areas of modern day Kurdistan around Kirkuk invading the area, while guarded well, the army of the Khurramites was fierce and Yazidi, Shi'i and less pious Kurds joined up with the Khurramiyyah to raid and exact revenge on the Arab rulers. Dispite his captures, he attempted to simply raid and saturate so as to not be bogged down in a situation of siege. However, upon entering Ninewah province and gearing words from his new Kurdish advisors, he set forth to siege Mosul, thus beginning the 1st battle of Mosul.

At this point, the Khurramite army numbered in and around the 70k mark of seasoned fighters and supply lines with less troops extending back into Iran where the majority of fighters were still stationed in expectation of Abbasid armies coming from the East. During the first battle of Mosul, Babak sieged Mosul for only 2 months before the city surrendered. In the conflict, a orcs debt was set, the Khurramite Warriors ravaged the city and led to the Rape of Mosul, in which the Khurramite soldiers ripped the veils from the women of the city claiming it freedom and mass rape was common for several days. Thus in 849, having arrived back from Arabia al-Muwattikkil made ready for Mosul to engage Babak, and in a rallying call, Ahmad ibn Hanbal with only 5 years left to live gave his support for the caliph and wrote a Fatwa concerning the Khurramites and the permissibility and obligation of all believers to attack and kill these defilers. In his Fatwa he wrote:

"Upon the site of Mosul, the infidel has dishonored the honorable female Muslim and harmed them by removing the veil and killing and raping them without cease and giving no comfort. Their leader is kaffir as he did not punish his forces and nor does he discourage. Thus it is permissible and Mustahabb (favorable) for all believers to rebel against him and all believers to take up the cause of Allah and wage war without stop until the transgressor is slain! May Allah have mercy upon the believers and ring curse upon the Mushrikeen."

Thus the game was on and the battle ahead. Muwattikkil led his armies bolstered with piety and seeking fame and fortune embarked to retake Mosul. Muwattikkil would then defeat the Khurramktes south of Mosul and his detachments defeated Khurramite allies at Kirkuk retaking the city with loyal Kurds and Assyrians. During the skirmishes to the outside, in side the city of Mosul, disagreements led to riots and infighting and the Bishop of Ninewah was executed by Babak Khurram and his soldiers began attacking Assyrian citizens (the majority) and more cases of abuse occurred. The result was Muwattikkil taking to the siege of the city, Babak realized his advantage however, controlling a larger army and keeping to the walls he felt secure. However, his transgressions came to haunt him during the 2nd battle of Mosul as Assyrian citizens began to sabotage the defense of the city in alliance with the ever increasing my rebellious Kurdish allies and the remaining Arab Muslim. The 2nd battle of Mosul saw the Khurramites due to a fire, caused by Assyrian citizens, forced out of the city in haste and defeated in an epic confrontation decisively in 851. Babak survived the battle and escaped and was harassed by small Bedoiun forces until he reached Armenia where he then crept back to Zanjan. There the war continued for another 2 years with off and on raiding with neither able to penetrate deeply. The Caliph, turned his forces back home whilst continuing raids into the Zanjan putting pressure on Babak. In 853, Babak was killed in a skirmish and left a power vacuum in the movement, which would not be filled soon.

More updates ahead, sorry to leave it there but it is needed at that spot for a reason.

Last edited:
I've never seen a Zanj Tl before.
I'll be watching this closely.
Very enjoyable read so far.
Can't wait for the next update.

Deleted member 67076

It begins!

I wonder if the Saffarids are going to sweep in and open another front for the Abbasids to deal with.

I've never seen a Zanj Tl before.
I'll be watching this closely.
Very enjoyable read so far.
Can't wait for the next update.

Yes indeed, I scoured the site to find anything on it. The closest we come is a thread on Khawarij by Nastle (banned for racism or whatever) abd stuff I usually write on here.

And thank you :)