Discussion: Philippine history after Magsaysay's survival

What could've happen in Philippine history, after Ramon Magsaysay survived that crash in Cebu? What would be the butterflies in the economy, society and politics? Any other possibilities?

Let's discuss.

What could've happen in Philippine history, after Ramon Magsaysay survived that crash in Cebu? What would be the butterflies in the economy, society and politics? Any other possibilities?

Let's discuss.

Philippines would be a different place. All the succeeding presidents in otl post magsaysay may not even presidents in Atl starting with garcia all the way down to noynoy. The philippines would retain 1935 constitution.

Philippines would convert to nuclear power due to lack of oil resource locally. Due it being under the USA nuclear umbrella, philippines will not get nuclear weapons but be in nuclear latency unless USA asks it to go nuclear.

Philippines will retain its regional status until present day. Some of the regions otl economic powerhouses in the region may be poorer in ATL. Those companies that moved away from the philippines in otl would stay in the philippines. It's gdp per capita may be around the same as USA in otl present day due to the same policies and laws similar to USA but ATL population may vary from otl.

Philipppines won't have communist nor Moro rebellions in president day which resurfaced in Marcos era in otl. You will probably have effects from Kongo crisis, konfrontasi, the existence of Malaysia, vietnam war, continuation of SEATO/effects on existence of ASEAN until present day.

The Philippines will be seen as a reliable nation state in holding the region secure against China in the future, since the Philippines would have a much better military.

Though I would see that the Philippines with Magsaysay survival would be bilateral between the USA and the PRC.

- I also imagine the Philippines having more expatriates, and foreigners. And also the cultural, and political heart of Southeast Asia.

- Would immigration to the United States and other countries be much less with a better Philippine economy? (This also possibly butterflies my existence...)

- Would religion in the Philippines still have a high importance or will its power fade and become more of a secularized nation?

Well that is all I can type now. Got to go to school.

With Magsaysay's survival though, how could his alternate successors still deal with the oligarchy and the landowner-dominated Congress that are well entrenched.

The Philippines will be seen as a reliable nation state in holding the region secure against China in the future, since the Philippines would have a much better military.

Though I would see that the Philippines with Magsaysay survival would be bilateral between the USA and the PRC.

- I also imagine the Philippines having more expatriates, and foreigners. And also the cultural, and political heart of Southeast Asia.

- Would immigration to the United States and other countries be much less with a better Philippine economy? (This also possibly butterflies my existence...)

- Would religion in the Philippines still have a high importance or will its power fade and become more of a secularized nation?

It wouldnt only be a reliable nation but it retains the regional power status in South east Asia.

With regards to migration, instead of OFW Filipinos, you will probably have migration going into the Philippines.

It is a secularized nation. I think the issue is if the voter is easily influenced by the Roman Catholic Church. It probably be different the OTL present day. OTL Philippines has a very high elementary/high school undergrads which can easily be swayed by the Church. A better economy would mean this will butterfly away due to higher education requirements of a better economy in present day.

With Magsaysay's survival though, how could his alternate successors still deal with the oligarchy and the landowner-dominated Congress that are well entrenched.

The last two presidents, Quirino and Magsaysay, from the PoD arent even part of the oligarchy. Oligarchy and landowning dominated Congress will only matter the poorer a country is due to its lower educated populace just like OTL present day Philippines. Back in those days, you can be a successful politician as long as you are qualified regardless of your background if you are part of the oligarchy or not as proven by Magsaysay or Quirino. Just like the USA though, you got to be member of 2 party system, in Philippines case, Liberal and Nacionalista.

Actually, OTL the literacy rate for the Philippines is 97.5%, so actually not that uneducated. Remember, having degrees doesn't stop people from voting in populist candidates (see Argentina). And remember, most Americans historically did not have a college education either. What is much more salient is the wealth per capita and the social inequality. Plenty of college-educated people back home who can't get a job, which is fertile ground for demagouguery - call it the Egypt effect.

It wouldnt only be a reliable nation but it retains the regional power status in South east Asia.

With regards to migration, instead of OFW Filipinos, you will probably have migration going into the Philippines.

It is a secularized nation. I think the issue is if the voter is easily influenced by the Roman Catholic Church. It probably be different the OTL present day. OTL Philippines has a very high elementary/high school undergrads which can easily be swayed by the Church. A better economy would mean this will butterfly away due to higher education requirements of a better economy in present day.

The last two presidents, Quirino and Magsaysay, from the PoD arent even part of the oligarchy. Oligarchy and landowning dominated Congress will only matter the poorer a country is due to its lower educated populace just like OTL present day Philippines. Back in those days, you can be a successful politician as long as you are qualified regardless of your background if you are part of the oligarchy or not as proven by Magsaysay or Quirino. Just like the USA though, you got to be member of 2 party system, in Philippines case, Liberal and Nacionalista.

1. I agree. A middle power.

2. And Filipinos to with dual citizenship. Also large number of expatriates, with the Americans the largest.

--

Hm, would we be able to get Sabah back with Magsaysay surviving? Not expert upon in but I do know that OP Merdeka resulted in the Jabidah Massacre which resulted in the Moro Insurgency.

I am not an economic expert but would Singapore still have its status from OTL to this althist. Singapore does sit in an important position.

Would the other Asian Tigers such as SK, HK, ROC and Singapore I mentioned above become Asian tigers...but at a different date?

--

Not to divert the discussion for that long but I just found this political party (or group?)...

2. And Filipinos to with dual citizenship. Also large number of expatriates, with the Americans the largest.

--

Hm, would we be able to get Sabah back with Magsaysay surviving? Not expert upon in but I do know that OP Merdeka resulted in the Jabidah Massacre which resulted in the Moro Insurgency.

I am not an economic expert but would Singapore still have its status from OTL to this althist. Singapore does sit in an important position.

Would the other Asian Tigers such as SK, HK, ROC and Singapore I mentioned above become Asian tigers...but at a different date?

--

Not to divert the discussion for that long but I just found this political party (or group?)...

I might safely guess that is probably a far-right movement. Just by looking at the platforms, I can easily say that this could indeed be a political party (not yet official) that leans towards the extreme right.

Actually, OTL the literacy rate for the Philippines is 97.5%, so actually not that uneducated. Remember, having degrees doesn't stop people from voting in populist candidates (see Argentina). And remember, most Americans historically did not have a college education either. What is much more salient is the wealth per capita and the social inequality. Plenty of college-educated people back home who can't get a job, which is fertile ground for demagouguery - call it the Egypt effect.

Literacy is very different from educational attainment. A lot of the elementary undergrads/high school undergrads in present day OTL Philippines can read and write which are part of the 97.5%.

Please read what I wrote, High school undergrad, elementary undergrad is very different from college undregrad.

Social inequality in a free market economy is the choice of the individual and partially of his/her parents. You cannot blame the government you are poor if you are in a free market economy. You can only blame the government if they are in complete control of economy like Stalin's USSR. Filipinos who are poor now had better opportunities than majority of their current billionaires. The Filipino Chinese were poor back then than the current OTL Filipino poor who werent poor during those times. The only difference is that Filipino Chinese worked harder and made the right decisions which what defines a free market economy-meritocracy, performance based rather than spoon fed.

If you look the statistics, majority of the unemployed in the Philippines are rich/middle class, very few are poor. The problem in OTL Philippines has always been underemployment wherein farmers, contractuals are classified as such which majority happens to be high school and elementary undergrads.

I believe majority of the migration will come from other South east Asian countries.

It depends on American support. However, considering these are batch of politicians who invested in the Korean war. It is not far fetched.

That Massacre happened in Marcos' watch.

I never said they will be dirt poor. I only said poorer. Meaning Singapore cannot achieve the same level of wealth if foreign investors do not go to them. A lot of regional offices in Singapore in OTL were once in the Philippines. This means less tax collection, less attraction to other business to invest which will go instead to ATL Philippines.

Last edited:
It would also be possible that a surviving Magsaysay may also dampen the rise of JoMa Sison and the pro-Maoist CPP and its militant arm, the NPA.

It would also be possible that a surviving Magsaysay may also dampen the rise of JoMa Sison and the pro-Maoist CPP and its militant arm, the NPA.

Pretty much this, considering Magsaysay took counter-insurgency lessons from Lansdale.

NPA existence is not surety. In order for them to appear several things must happen, like banning of the communist party.Banning means they have no debate/discussion medium except armed rebellion plus you have to have so so economy and individual rights. This happened through time in otl, Garcia banning the communist party and the economy, individual rights in Marcos time. That's why they appeared in 1969.

You are correct about landsdale.
Communist armed rebellion is non existent since quirino's presidency ended, when his defense minister and assistant crush the rebellion. It just so happens that defense minister was magsaysay and his assistant was Ninoy Aquino.

The country had realize that time that the Parity Rights expiration in 1974 was fast approaching and for the Philippines to be the main destination of foreign investments, they should have repealed the 60/40 equity restriction provision on natural resources and public utilities under the 1935 constitution.

The country had realize that time that the Parity Rights expiration in 1974 was fast approaching and for the Philippines to be the main destination of foreign investments, they should have repealed the 60/40 equity restriction provision on natural resources and public utilities under the 1935 constitution.

It would have made little difference.

Investors local or foreign prefer sound business environment. Total Ownership is a small matter when you have issues ranging for peace and order, rebels burning businesses, Marcos confiscating private property, bad and unequal regulations, good business infrastructure.

If you have foreign ownership and haven't solved that those mentioned, philippines would be poorer.

The insistence that Lack of total ownership unattracts investment and is misinformed. The theory of total ownership may hold true if business rely on multinational companies and large companies as the only investor. But we all know successful economies rely on small and medium enterprises on economic activity.

It would have made little difference.

It would made, look at Singapore with lesser investment restrictions.

Investors local or foreign prefer sound business environment.
That includes long-term business ownership security issues.

Total Ownership is a small matter when you have issues ranging for peace and order, rebels burning businesses, Marcos confiscating private property, bad and unequal regulations, good business infrastructure.
Giving foreign investors a legal security to own fully of their investments will assure that local dummies will not bankrupt them, thus giving incentives or framework of investing in the country regardless of infrastructure and peace and order deficiences.

If you have foreign ownership and haven't solved that those mentioned, philippines would be poorer.
Nigeria will disagree with that it is an unstable infested with rebels and yet, with lesser investment restrictions, still attract foreign investments in hydrocarbons industry.

The insistence that Lack of total ownership unattracts investment and is misinformed.
Just ask foreign investors who forced to leave the country because they were bankrupted by the local dummies.

The theory of total ownership may hold true if business rely on multinational companies and large companies as the only investor.
The country needs much MNC companies to give local conglomerates who are dominating the economic and political sector a run of money. The country needs large-scale job generation to uplift the country from poverty.

But we all know successful economies rely on small and medium enterprises on economic activity.
Nowadays, SMEs had to go a joint venture with conglomerates or die.

Last edited:
The problem right now of the Philippines regarding the impending ASEAN integration is that the country is in slow-paced in implementing structural economic reforms like constitutional amendment on removing the 60/40 forced equity sharing, reforming labor laws like getting rid of 13th month pay, and others. The current administration of pandering the economic elites of his family does not help the goal of the Philippines to integrate with the ASEAN economic community by 2015.

Namayan, are you for the maintenance of the 60/40 forced equity sharing in the constitution per se despite of the clamors from the business community, local or foreign, to amend it?

The problem right now of the Philippines regarding the impending ASEAN integration is that the country is in slow-paced in implementing structural economic reforms like constitutional amendment on removing the 60/40 forced equity sharing, reforming labor laws like getting rid of 13th month pay, and others. The current administration of pandering the economic elites of his family does not help the goal of the Philippines to integrate with the ASEAN economic community by 2015.

Namayan, are you for the maintenance of the 60/40 forced equity sharing in the constitution per se despite of the clamors from the business community, local or foreign, to amend it?

We are not taking about otl present day. We are talking about ATL 1957 pod.

With regards to foreign ownership, philippines was growing double digits under the 1935 constitution. The major difference between slow growth in the philippines present day otl and past otl is implementation of the laws which lead you back a sound business environment. This means the executive department is not doing there job which is about implementing laws.

There is a big difference between the executive and legislative. In the west, when there is a law you implement it. In the philippines it's not always the case. A perfect example would be peace and order, if there is foreign ownership but my business office is being threatened, me and my employees are being threatened by the rebels or criminals this leads to less investment, foreign or domestic.

Sound business environment is the most important factor that is why philippines was growing double digits in the 30s,40s, and 50s even though foreign ownership was restricted.

We are not taking about otl present day. We are talking about ATL 1957 pod.

Of course, it would have a repercussions for good had the country repealed the 60/40 forced equity sharing in the 60s or 70s instead of proposing for abolition right now by Belmonte. Once the Parity Rights expire in 1974, the country will be shut down from attracting foreign investments unless the 60/40 forced equity sharing was abolished after 1957 to anticipate the expiration of the Parity Rights.

With regards to foreign ownership, philippines was growing double digits under the 1935 constitution. The major difference between slow growth in the philippines present day otl and past otl is implementation of the laws which lead you back a sound business environment. This means the executive department is not doing there job which is about implementing laws.
The Philippines was of course growing with double digits as it was still recovering from the devastating effects of WWII, Parity Rights for American investors, Japanese reparations, and neighboring countries have yet opened themselves to foreign investments. Basically the country is growing from the low base. Had WWII never happened, double digit growth would have been impossible.

There is a big difference between the executive and legislative. In the west, when there is a law you implement it. In the philippines it's not always the case.
It has something to do with faulty presidential system in the country by the Americans wherein the executive and the legislative cannot agree in implementing laws because they are separate, if we have a parliamentary system, it would have been easier for the fused executive and legislative government to implement laws.

A perfect example would be peace and order, if there is foreign ownership but my business office is being threatened, me and my employees are being threatened by the rebels or criminals this leads to less investment, foreign or domestic.
Let say otherwise, the peace and order is fine and yet foreign investors are still reluctant from investing in the country due to regulations like ownership restrictions. There are complex reasons on why foreign investors never invest in the Philippines than peace and order as you think.

Sound business environment is the most important factor that is why philippines was growing double digits in the 30s,40s, and 50s even though foreign ownership was restricted.[/QUOTE]

As I said, the country was recovering from WWII that's why the country was growing double digits as the industries had to be erected from the scratch.

Last edited:
Of course, it would have a repercussions for good had the country repealed the 60/40 forced equity sharing in the 60s or 70s instead of proposing for abolition right now by Belmonte. Once the Parity Rights expire in 1974, the country will be shut down from attracting foreign investments unless the 60/40 forced equity sharing was abolished after 1957 to anticipate the expiration of the Parity Rights.
We disagree here. History has proven that 1935 constitution works. Do not connect ATL with present PoD. This is not a present OTL discussion so don't put The current speaker of the house for a 1957 pod because the propel exist now may not exist nor be in power in ATL present day.

The Philippines was of course growing with double digits as it was still recovering from the devastating effects of WWII, Parity Rights for American investors, Japanese reparations, and neighboring countries have yet opened themselves to foreign investments. Basically the country is growing from the low base. Had WWII never happened, double digit growth would have been impossible.

This growth was also before the war. All other countries benefited for post war. Mismanagement or good management leads to good growth not a good constitution. Both Japan and Philippines benefited from. The only difference is Japan was able to sustain that during the 1960s while Philipoines wasn't. This is more of an implementation issue than a law issue.

It has something to do with faulty presidential system in the country by the Americans wherein the executive and the legislative cannot agree in implementing laws because they are separate, if we have a parliamentary system, it would have been easier for the fused executive and legislative government to implement laws.

American presidential system is not faulty. Only people who implemented are. People has always been the problem not the law. You can have no constitution and still be successful. This leads to implementation failures not law failures.

Let say otherwise, the peace and order is fine and yet foreign investors are still reluctant from investing in the country due to regulations like ownership restrictions. There are complex reasons on why foreign investors never invest in the Philippines than peace and order as you think.

Like I keep on saying, if you want only large corporations to become your only investors. Then well and good that system would work. But you should encourage small enterprises more than large investors. Large foreign investors will only give a few thousand jobs while small enterprises collectively will give millions of jobs. Encouraging small investors are not based on total ownership but implementation.

Change of constitution doesn't equate prosperity but strict implementation of the current law does.

Like I keep on saying this is an alternate history forum not a current events political propaganda forum since you are trying to impose the OTL current speaker of the house of the philippines in ATL discussion.

We disagree here. History has proven that 1935 constitution works. Do not connect ATL with present PoD. This is not a present OTL discussion so don't put The current speaker of the house for a 1957 pod because the propel exist now may not exist nor be in power in ATL present day.

If 1935 constitution works, why Corazon Aquino never restored it in 1986 and instead crafted a new 1987 constitution? The reason on why 1935 constitution was not revived was because it was prone to executive abuse, that's why Martial Law was declared in the first place.

This growth was also before the war. All other countries benefited for post war. Mismanagement or good management leads to good growth not a good constitution. Both Japan and Philippines benefited from. The only difference is Japan was able to sustain that during the 1960s while Philipoines wasn't. This is more of an implementation issue than a law issue.

The growth before WWII was just similar of today. The Philippines has no more room for double digit GDP growth in the 60s because of capital limitations, given that local conglomerates are not that big and sophisticated than what Japan have. That's why the country like Singapore, should have relied on FDI as key driver for economic development.

American presidential system is not faulty. Only people who implemented are. People has always been the problem not the law. You can have no constitution and still be successful. This leads to implementation failures not law failures.

Using your analogy, then genocide is acceptable because it is the people's fault in the end not the system. No system is perfect but at least with parliamentary system, executive and legislative could able to cooperate to each other.

Like I keep on saying, if you want only large corporations to become your only investors. Then well and good that system would work.

That's is why the country is in desperate need to attract MNCs to compete the local conglomerate for job creation. More big business competing means more job options for ordinary people.

But you should encourage small enterprises more than large investors. Large foreign investors will only give a few thousand jobs while small enterprises collectively will give millions of jobs. Encouraging small investors are not based on total ownership but implementation.

Businesses need capital and expertise to survive in the long-run. You cannot create a business without having adequate capital and expertise from large corporations unless you go with the loan sharks. The reason on why small businesses fail because of lack of capital and expertise in the first place.

Change of constitution doesn't equate prosperity but strict implementation of the current law does.

Amending the constitution is the first enabling step for more liberalized investment environment that the country does not have right now.

Like I keep on saying this is an alternate history forum not a current events political propaganda forum since you are trying to impose the OTL current speaker of the house of the philippines in ATL discussion.

What I said, any attempts to improve the country with any POD without assuring the investment environment would be futile in the end no wonder I added that without repealing the 60/40 forced equity sharing after 1957 will never have the country sustained its double digit growth to 60s and 70s.