Napoleonic Victory: Who does Napoleon II marry?

For the sake of argument lets say Napoleon wins in Russia (manages to draw the Russians into a battle and crushes them), forces Alexander back into the continental system and eventually makes a permanent peace with the United Kingdom. France dominates the continent. In such a scenario who would be the most likely bride for the King of Rome, Napoleon's heir? A Bonaparte first cousin? Another Habsburg Archduchess? One of the German Princesses (Bavaria or Saxony being the most likely)? A Russian Grand Duchess? Or even one of Napoleon's former enemies, like an Iberian Infanta or a Princess of Sardinia/Sicily? Or even someone I haven't thought of?

I think it will be a German Princess to strengthen ties with the German aristocracy. ANd it probably will be a Bavarian or Saxon as they were the main French allies in Germany. - But I can't immediately see a convenient spouse for the 1811 born N II.

Well, technically Nappy could win in Russia if he didn't go and invade but rather let the Russian impale themselves in Poland, but that's not the answer to the question...

If Nappy II reached marriage age, and assuming Napoleonic victory in the continent. I'm going to hedge my bets and say it would not be with a French or Spanish Bourbon (not even going into the Sicilian Bourbons either). I'm sure the Bourbons would be pissed at the imperial house that not only deprived said family from two thrones but reduced them to just an island off the boot of Italy.

Then again, if a Bourbon marriage, then it would have to be the only ones who benefited from said marriage, in this case, the Parmese Bourbons who was to be guaranteed the throne of Northern Lusitania (I'd prefer calling it Lusitania but I digress.) Maria Antonia is a likely candidate for this role.

Kinda want to avoid keeping it in the family, kind of anathema if you ask me. But the other possibilities are all well and good though.

Well, technically Nappy could win in Russia if he didn't go and invade but rather let the Russian impale themselves in Poland, but that's not the answer to the question...

If Nappy II reached marriage age, and assuming Napoleonic victory in the continent. I'm going to hedge my bets and say it would not be with a French or Spanish Bourbon (not even going into the Sicilian Bourbons either). I'm sure the Bourbons would be pissed at the imperial house that not only deprived said family from two thrones but reduced them to just an island off the boot of Italy.

Then again, if a Bourbon marriage, then it would have to be the only ones who benefited from said marriage, in this case, the Parmese Bourbons who was to be guaranteed the throne of Northern Lusitania (I'd prefer calling it Lusitania but I digress.) Maria Antonia is a likely candidate for this role.

Kinda want to avoid keeping it in the family, kind of anathema if you ask me. But the other possibilities are all well and good though.

What about Princess Maria Cristina of Savoy/Sardinia? She was born in 1812 and would be of the right age. Would the Sardinians and Napoleon even consider such a match?

Probably but highly unlikely. The Sardinians would also have beef with Napoleon since they lost Piedmont and Savoy to them. The only reason I wouldn't say it would be impossible is because I see Victor Emmanuel I (Maria Christina's father) as a pragmatic reactionary (not unlike Louis XVIII, if Louis XVIII was actually a reactionary and not a conservative).

However at the same time Victor Emmanuel I, if he doesn't abdicate as per OTL, is still going to die in a few years time, and the throne will pass to ultra-reactionary Charles Felix, who would probably be opposed to anything involving Napoleon, and I can imagine her uncle cutting that marriage off.

Probably but highly unlikely. The Sardinians would also have beef with Napoleon since they lost Piedmont and Savoy to them. The only reason I wouldn't say it would be impossible is because I see Victor Emmanuel I (Maria Christina's father) as a pragmatic reactionary (not unlike Louis XVIII, if Louis XVIII was actually a reactionary and not a conservative).

However at the same time Victor Emmanuel I, if he doesn't abdicate as per OTL, is still going to die in a few years time, and the throne will pass to ultra-reactionary Charles Felix, who would probably be opposed to anything involving Napoleon, and I can imagine her uncle cutting that marriage off.

What about, and this is very much unlikely, Louise d'Orléans, OTL Queen of the Belgians? She's the right age and it could be a way to reconcile a branch of the Bourbons with the Napoleonic empire. Louis-Philippe always struck me as willing to do anything for power. Some kind of marriage deal (restoration of some of the d'Orléans estate in return for their renunciation of the throne in favor of the Bonapartes and a royal marriage) seems like something up his alley.

If not, I guess it would be between a Bavarian Princess and an Austrian Archduchess.

I think it will be a German Princess to strengthen ties with the German aristocracy. ANd it probably will be a Bavarian or Saxon as they were the main French allies in Germany. - But I can't immediately see a convenient spouse for the 1811 born N II.

The youngest daughter of King Maximilian Joseph of Bavaria was born in 1810, but IOTL died in childhood, could she work? His second youngest was born in 1808 and IOTL married a cousin.

What about, and this is very much unlikely, Louise d'Orléans, OTL Queen of the Belgians? She's the right age and it could be a way to reconcile a branch of the Bourbons with the Napoleonic empire. Louis-Philippe always struck me as willing to do anything for power. Some kind of marriage deal (restoration of some of the d'Orléans estate in return for their renunciation of the throne in favor of the Bonapartes and a royal marriage) seems like something up his alley.

If not, I guess it would be between a Bavarian Princess and an Austrian Archduchess.

As you said, it's still very unlikely, but more likely than the Sardinian match. Louis-Philippe probably was a guy who was willing to do anything for power. So it is feasible to see the Orleans match with Napoleon II. Now whether or not it would be beneficial in the long run however, I do not know.

Frankly, it's a toss up between the following:
- Louise d'Orleans (OTL 1812-1850): daughter of Louis Philippe III, Duke of Orleans. OTL Married Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha/Leopold I of Belgium
- Mathilde Karoline von Wittelsbach (OTL 1813-1862): daughter of Ludwig I, King of Bavaria. OTL Married Ludwig III, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt
- Theodelinde von Wittelsbach (OTL 1816-1817): daughter of Ludwig I, King of Bavaria. OTL died in infancy
- Maria Theresa von Habsburg-Teschen (OTL 1816-1867): daughter of Charles, Archduke of Austria and Duke of Teschen. OTL Married Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies.
- Hermine von Habsburg-Lorraine (OTL 1817-1842): daughter of Joseph, Archduke of Austria and Palatine of Hungary. Unmarried OTL.

The youngest daughter of King Maximilian Joseph of Bavaria was born in 1810, but IOTL died in childhood, could she work? His second youngest was born in 1808 and IOTL married a cousin.

She might work, she died of Typhus OTL - that is certainly a fate that could be avoided. As said Bavaria and Saxony were vital allies for France and if they could tied even further to the Napoleonic dynasty.

As NApoleon II is half a Habsburg, I wonder how Austrian French relations will develop. in 1812/1813 Austria was pushed east - Tirol was Bavarian, Damlmatia was French - I could see the latter (at least the non-Venetian parts) being given back to the Empire (Austria), but not the former. Bavaria might be the counterweight to Prussia in Germany and Austria serving as "security" against Russia (with Poland a stronger second).

Austria is definitely weaker (well losing Galicia is also a possibility)., has less German Population (Innviertel back to Bavaria is not out of the question). Asutria might see its future immediately in the Balkans - instead of spending energy in Italy and Germany Austria might concentrate in pushing the Ottomans back.

For the sake of argument lets say Napoleon wins in Russia (manages to draw the Russians into a battle and crushes them), forces Alexander back into the continental system and eventually makes a permanent peace with the United Kingdom. France dominates the continent. In such a scenario who would be the most likely bride for the King of Rome, Napoleon's heir? A Bonaparte first cousin? Another Habsburg Archduchess? One of the German Princesses (Bavaria or Saxony being the most likely)? A Russian Grand Duchess? Or even one of Napoleon's former enemies, like an Iberian Infanta or a Princess of Sardinia/Sicily? Or even someone I haven't thought of?

I can see a Russian bride being one of the conditions of a peace agreement. That is the exact way he married Marie-Louise, and one of Napoléon's long-term goals would be a stable Franco-Russian alliance as a basis of stability in Europe. Marrying yet another Hapsburg would be a bit consanguine (something even the Hapsburgs had stopped to do for about one century ;-) ) and Prussia is essentially destroyed as a state, so the Hohenzollerns are out. Spanish and Sicilian ideas are fun but maybe too Bourbon (but that would make for a fun royal competition in France if the legitimist line of Artois eventually dies out, between the Spanish Bourbons, the Orléans, and the Bourbonapartes). Bavaria is an interesting possibility but maybe too minor, and already dependent enough on Napoléon.

BUTTERLIES!A lot of the people from OTL might be completely butterflied.

Well yes and no.

I do agree a lot of the people from OTL might be butterflied completely, or rather have their fates changed, but don't expect the butterflies to be flapping en masse from say an 1812 PoD. I see those princesses still being born at around the same time, I'm just showing what their fates were in OTL, what happens from the PoD onward could, and most likely would be, potentially different from OTL.

I know how to work the butterflies, don't worry Darth Fader.

- Mathilde Karoline von Wittelsbach (OTL 1813-1862): daughter of Ludwig I, King of Bavaria. OTL Married Ludwig III, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt
- Theodelinde von Wittelsbach (OTL 1816-1817): daughter of Ludwig I, King of Bavaria. OTL died in infancy
- Maria Theresa von Habsburg-Teschen (OTL 1816-1867): daughter of Charles, Archduke of Austria and Duke of Teschen.
- Hermine von Habsburg-Lorraine (OTL 1817-1842): daughter of Joseph, Archduke of Austria and Palatine of Hungary. Unmarried OTL.
These four will have my support if you can prove that butterflies wont affect them.

What about Grand Duchess Elizabeth Alexandrovna of Russia? She is the younger child of Alexander I of Russia and his wife, Elizabeth Alexeievna (Louise of Baden) In OTL she died in 1808, but if Napoleon won and had a French doctor care for his Russian hostage, spots the signs of an infection and treats the young duchess; in OTL the infection was just blamed on teething.

Or Princess Vilhelmine Marie of Denmark? The youngest daughter of Frederick VI of Denmark, who made Denmark the most loyal ally of Napoleon, it would seem a fitting gesture to make a loyal ally's daughter Empress.

As you said, it's still very unlikely, but more likely than the Sardinian match. Louis-Philippe probably was a guy who was willing to do anything for power. So it is feasible to see the Orleans match with Napoleon II. Now whether or not it would be beneficial in the long run however, I do not know.

Frankly, it's a toss up between the following:
- Louise d'Orleans (OTL 1812-1850): daughter of Louis Philippe III, Duke of Orleans. OTL Married Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha/Leopold I of Belgium
- Maria Theresa von Habsburg-Teschen (OTL 1816-1867): daughter of Charles, Archduke of Austria and Duke of Teschen. OTL Married Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies.

I'd say Hermine would be to low ranking but Archduke Karl's daughter could be interesting. Napoleon did have respect for him as a general so an alliance of their children could fit in his thinking. But of the Bavarians I'd say Mathilde is more likely.

I can see a Russian bride being one of the conditions of a peace agreement. That is the exact way he married Marie-Louise, and one of Napoléon's long-term goals would be a stable Franco-Russian alliance as a basis of stability in Europe. Marrying yet another Hapsburg would be a bit consanguine (something even the Hapsburgs had stopped to do for about one century ;-) ) and Prussia is essentially destroyed as a state, so the Hohenzollerns are out. Spanish and Sicilian ideas are fun but maybe too Bourbon (but that would make for a fun royal competition in France if the legitimist line of Artois eventually dies out, between the Spanish Bourbons, the Orléans, and the Bourbonapartes). Bavaria is an interesting possibility but maybe too minor, and already dependent enough on Napoléon.

What about an ATL Portuguese Infanta? While Joao and his wife did detest each other, a short reconciliation could be possible and their last child was born in 1806, so not impossible to consider. I can see Britain demanding the restoration of Portugal as a term in peace negotiations and Napoleon might be willing to do so , if only to get Britain out of Spain. A marriage concession could be a possible demand of the Emperor.

Or, if the POD was no deposition of the Borbóns of Spain, then a Spanish bride could be a good choice. Have Fernando VII remarry and produce a daughter. She'd be of an age to marry the King of Rome.

These four will have my support if you can prove that butterflies wont affect them.

What about Grand Duchess Elizabeth Alexandrovna of Russia? She is the younger child of Alexander I of Russia and his wife, Elizabeth Alexeievna (Louise of Baden) In OTL she died in 1808, but if Napoleon won and had a French doctor care for his Russian hostage, spots the signs of an infection and treats the young duchess; in OTL the infection was just blamed on teething.

Or Princess Vilhelmine Marie of Denmark? The youngest daughter of Frederick VI of Denmark, who made Denmark the most loyal ally of Napoleon, it would seem a fitting gesture to make a loyal ally's daughter Empress.

Can't see Alexander giving his daughter as a hostage. But a Surviving Elizabeth or an ATL sister (after all her mother was still young enough to have another child, one that could survive to adulthood) would make an interesting match.

As for Vilhelmine, I'd considered her as well but she did die childless and was a Protestant. Napoleon wasn't that religious but I think he would recognize the importance of a Catholic bride. Vilhelmine would have to convert.

I like an ATL Grand Duchess of Russia or Iberian Infanta the best. Both are ranking enough to be considered "worthy" of the Emperor's son and any of them could cement either an alliance (Spain) or peace (Russia and Portugal). Plus they have the added benefit of having no close relation to Napoleon II, avoiding inbreeding.

You know, that would be kinda interesting to see when you think about it.

What about Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, the OTL wife of Wilhelm I? She may be from a small Duchy, but she is the right age & the maternal niece of Tsar Alexander I.

Last edited:
Can't see Alexander giving his daughter as a hostage. But a Surviving Elizabeth or an ATL sister (after all her mother was still young enough to have another child, one that could survive to adulthood) would make an interesting match.
Who says Alexander has a choice? If he is defeated by Napoleon, he will be at the mercy of him and his demands.

As for Vilhelmine, I'd considered her as well but she did die childless and was a Protestant. Napoleon wasn't that religious but I think he would recognize the importance of a Catholic bride. Vilhelmine would have to convert.
To be crowned as Empress of the French Empire, I think Vilhelmine, will be happy to convert.

I like an ATL Grand Duchess of Russia or Iberian Infanta the best. Both are ranking enough to be considered "worthy" of the Emperor's son and any of them could cement either an alliance (Spain) or peace (Russia and Portugal). Plus they have the added benefit of having no close relation to Napoleon II, avoiding inbreeding.
After the P.O.D any number of couple could have given birth to a future wife.

You know, that would be kinda interesting to see when you think about it.
Its the least old Nap could do after all the Danes have been through.

What about Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, the OTL wife of Wilhelm I? She may be from a small Ducky, but she is the right age & the maternal niece of Tsar Alexander I.
She is a good candidate, apart from being a liberal-minded woman, who was very interested in politics, this could alienate her with her imperialistic father-in-law.

What about Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, the OTL wife of Wilhelm I? She may be from a small Duchy, but she is the right age & the maternal niece of Tsar Alexander I.

I'd say she's to low ranking in Napoleon's mind. A nouveau riche dynasty like the Bonapartes need ranking brides to cement their position in their own minds.

Who says Alexander has a choice? If he is defeated by Napoleon, he will be at the mercy of him and his demands.

To be crowned as Empress of the French Empire, I think Vilhelmine, will be happy to convert.

After the P.O.D any number of couple could have given birth to a future wife.

Its the least old Nap could do after all the Danes have been through.

She is a good candidate, apart from being a liberal-minded woman, who was very interested in politics, this could alienate her with her imperialistic father-in-law.

Napoleon never took royal hostages OTL so I can't see him doing so ATL. Although, I suppose we could see a throw back to the days when a Royal bride would be handed over early and raised among her future in-laws (ie Adelaide of Savoy or Isabella de Valois). She'd double as a hostage in such a scenario.

The real problem with Vilhelmine though is the fact that she died childless and had no recorded miscarriages or stillbirths. A marriage to her would end Napoleon's line or result in a divorce.

I think who Napoleon will not think to make another match with the Habsburg for his son (he was rather unhappy with many sides of his own) and a Boubon is unthinkable... Savoy is really unlikely, the most logical choices are a German princess or a relative of the Zar or a Danish princess or maybe a daughter of Eugene

Maria Nikolaevna(daughter of Nicholas I & OTL wife of Eugène's son Maximilian) is the Grand Duchess with the smallest is age gap with Napoleon II, being born in 1819. Also, something I think should be considered is whether or not Napoleon I dies as he did in 1821 as OTL.