The One Allah Favors: Nader Shah ATL

The One Allah Favors: Nader Shah Alternate Timeline

280px-NaderShahPainting.png

Nader Shah: King of Kings of the World, Sovereign of Sovereigns, Rarity of the Age, Lord of Beneficence, Master of Asia, Liberator of Persia, Scourge of the Afghans, Conqueror of Delhi

Hey,

Would anyone be interested in an Alternate Timeline about Nader Shah? The timeline would focus on the later portion of Nader Shah's reign. The basic premise being that the Persian ruler doesn't go insane, blind his heir or get assassinated.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

First time I see a Nader Shah timeline. You've got my attention.

Will this be a timeline that attempts to make Iran Sunni?

Thanks for the interest everyone. Yes this timeline will involve getting Iran back into the Sunni fold, probably in the aftermath of a victory over the Ottomans. Any ideas you have on this topic and how to get Ja'fari accepted as a fifth school of Sunni Islam, would be very helpful.:D

Last edited:
Is this going to focus on the effects of an alt-Nader Shah on his neighbors? Because even if he lives longer, it's hard to see his empire not falling apart on schedule after he dies.

Is this going to focus on the effects of an alt-Nader Shah on his neighbors? Because even if he lives longer, it's hard to see his empire not falling apart on schedule after he dies.

This ATL will no doubt discuss the effects on the Ottomans, Mughals, Russia etc

The empire would face rebellions and would lose some of its provinces in the aftermath of Nader's death. However if Nader doesn't blind his highly capable son he would have an heir and stable dynasty to succeed him. This would give the empire a far better chance of staying together then OTL.

Last edited:
Maybe butterfly Nader's later mental instability? It would have the effects of not only keeping him from growing paranoid over Reza Qoli Mirza Afshar (his oldest son) but could also allow for a more successful campaign against the Ottoman Empire. Nader Shah seemed to be aiming to re-establish his nation's control over modern Iraq. If he had been successful, this could have the effect of shifting the dominance of the Middle east from the Ottomans to the Persians. If the Persian Empire remains relatively stable it would make for a very interesting TL.

Thanks for the interest everyone. Yes this timeline will involve getting Iran back into the Sunni fold, probably in the aftermath of a victory over the Ottomans. Any ideas you have on this topic and how to get Ja'fari accepted as a fifth school of Sunni Islam, would be very helpful.:D

Ok, so Ja'fari Madhab of Fiqh for anyone who doesn't know, is the most common Fiqh (jurisprudence) for the Twelver Shi'i Muslims of Iran and Iraq. It comes from Ja'far as-Sadiq the 6th Imam according to the Twlevers.

From here on out I will because the poster asked, will evaluate Twelver Islam and the Ja'fari Madhab according to Ahl Sunnah wa l'Jama'ah (Sunni).

From the outset, Nader Shah has three options 1. Convert to Shi'i and blend in, 2. Accept the Rafidhi (deniers, they deny Abu Bakr and Ayesha as Sahaba) as part of Ahl Sunnah wa l'Jama'ah or 3. Forcibly convert them to Ahl Sunnah through force as the Safavids did with Shi'i.

1. You obviously don't want
3. Is straight forward and as easy as simply saying it and giving breaks for Nader and the Afsharids.

In regards to option 2, the Ulema as a whole is in agreement, that there are only certain points in Ja'fari Fiqh that cannot be accepted and to be specific it is Mu'tah. Mu'tah for anyone who doesn't know, is a temporary marriage only to last a certain amount of time, it is Mustahhab (respected and or encouraged but not necessary) to most Shi'i (some Shi'i say that those born in Mu'tah are above those born in regular marriage, or say that eyes of Jinn and Angels weep when they are born). Thus, other than Mu'tah, Ja'fari Fiqh is fairly compatible with Ahl Sunnah wa l'Jama'ah however it is not preferred.

Now as far as Shi'i in relation to Ahl Sunnah, is another issue altogether and particularly the Rafidhi of Iran. Now, to begin with, a Shi'i according to every Ulema from Ibn Taymiyyah to Ibn Baz are in aggreement that Shi'i are not Kufr automatically and not blankety Kufr, however the Rafidhi in particular is a Kufr institution with Muslims who are apart of it, which is why blanket Takfir cannot be made. Reasons for the institution being Kufr and Kufr Akbar is:

1. The Rafidhi make Takfir (as the Khawarij) on the Sahaba mainly Abu Bakr Umar, Uthman, Muawiyah, Yazid and Ayesha. They do so on the basis that Ali was not given the Khilafah, Ayesha was evil and wicked and performed magic on Rasul and fought Ali during the Fitnah, Muawiyah because he fought Ali and Yazid because he killed Husayn at Karbala. As well, this Takfir moves not just to Sahaba but to those who disagree with their Hukm (ruling) on the Sahaba in many cases, such as Yassir Habib (a prominent Shi'i Ulema from Kuwait).

2. The daily ritual cursing of Sahaba in prayers, by some of the more "learned" Shi'i. Very common during Safavid Iran where it was commonplace to spend lengthy amount of times repeating "Allah curse Abu Bakr", "Allah curse Umar" etc... The practice of constant cursing isn't as popular, but the cursing is still very prevalent, especially amongst Shi'i who are more ambitious and young.

3. Many Shi'i believe that the Quran was distorted by Uthman, not all believe this but there are Ulema who believe this and are well respected, Ulema amongst the Shi'i who supported this view:

Muhammad Baqir Behbahani
Mirza Husayn Noori Tabarsi
Agha Bozorg Tehrani

The Shi'i in the same vein follow the Ahl al Kisa or the people of the cloak referring to Ali, Hassan, Husayn and Fatimah. This is a different interpretation from Ahl Sunnah and leads to the Imamah, which cannot be accepted by the Ummah or Ulema of Ahl Sunnah.

Many Ulema among the Shi'i believe then in tampering of the Quran and Sunnah these Ulema include but are not limited to:

Muhammad Baqir Maljisi
Ni'mattullah Al-Jazaa'iri
Al Ayyaashi etc

4. Many Shi'i of Tafsir believe in a Kitab from Ali with his own interpretation and Tafsir above that of any of Ahl Sunnah, to be revealed by the Mahdi. This is supported by modern Shi'i scholar Abu al-Qasim al-Khoei.

5. Many Shi'i pray Salat 3 times a day rather than 5. This is prohibited in Ahl Sunnah. However, if the common man claims Jahil (ignorance)then it is pardoned.

6. The practice of Taqqiyyah (dissimulation, as in hiding ones faith) is contrary to that of Ahl Sunnah and usually at odds with Hiyal (art of deception). The act is opposed on the basis that it is a rejection of ideas of high importance and is contrary to Aqeedah (condition of the heart). It is supported deeply supported by all Shi'i Ulema including Ja'far himself, we all know the famous Taqqiyyah is my religion Hadith.

7. Image veneration and Shirk of Ali and Husayn, however again this can be pardoned.

Maybe Nader can work around these issues. Just ask for any more questions.

Last edited:
Maybe butterfly Nader's later mental instability? It would have the effects of not only keeping him from growing paranoid over Reza Qoli Mirza Afshar (his oldest son) but could also allow for a more successful campaign against the Ottoman Empire. Nader Shah seemed to be aiming to re-establish his nation's control over modern Iraq. If he had been successful, this could have the effect of shifting the dominance of the Middle east from the Ottomans to the Persians. If the Persian Empire remains relatively stable it would make for a very interesting TL.

Yes I'm planning on making both of these topics a part of the ATL.

Nader's madness comes to a head right after the India campaign. It is made worse by the death of his mother and the fact that his leading physician Alavi Shirazi goes on Hajji. Shirazi was actually said to have almost eliminated Nader mental issues while in his service. Nader final descent into madness is brought on by blinding his son, which he regretted deeply.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alavi_Shirazi

The Iraq campaign is a very interesting pod. Nader had under his command the largest and best equipped force he ever fielded, yet he cuts the campaign short with no real gains. He doesn't have his heart in the campaign and breaks off the siege of Mosul on the one year anniversary of his sons blinding. Pre madness Nader Shah would have crushed Mosul like he did Kandahar, and not given up the siege until it fell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Kandahar