'A Throne of Bayonets' (Russia, 18th August 1991 TL)

e8BOpjW.jpg

---1800 Moscow Time (1600 Foros Crimea), 18.VIII.1991---

Mikhail was first aware of the problem when he picked up the phone and found that the line was dead. This was highly unusual and most disturbing, but he supposed not so unexpected. When he had left for his holidays he had been aware that there was a plot in the works against him, but he had not expected such audacity. Raisa entered the room and Mikhail looked askance at her for a moment before he spoke.

"Raisa, my darling. They have acted after all their talk, was not bluster."

He slowly, awkwardly even, sat in the comfortable chair and glanced out of the window into the Black Sea that the view from Dacha 3 afforded him. Raisa went over to the cabinet in the corner and brought a bottle of vodka with two shot glasses, then filled them at the table.

"So, we will see what the day brings us. Perhaps this is just some fault in the line."

Her soft voice and dismissal of the problem reassured Mikhail and the vodka added a bit more to the increasingly hot fire that was burning underneath his outwardly calm demeanour.

"I should like to be left alone for awhile, if you would?"

He looked to her once more and she nodded her assent, returning the vodka to the cabinet and then leaving the room. It wasn't an hour before he heard the low rumble of the Kozliks pulling up onto the drive. He had sat, and as he had sat, he rolled the shotglass between his thumb and forefingers pensively as he glanced every couple of minutes to the entrance of the wide, spacious room.

Several moments passed, and just as Mikhail glanced out of the window, a low clearing of the throat indicated that someone infact had intruded into the dacha.

"Comrade General Secretary, I am afraid that for reasons of declining health, it is required that you hand over the reins of power to the State Committee on the State of Emergency that is currently sweeping the Soviet Union. I have here the necessary documentation."

Mikhail glanced sidelong at the sallow skinned, broad shouldered man who stood, bearing a briefcase. His fingers clenched on the glass and his expression contorted into one of disgust as he flung it at the man.

"You pig, you scum-sucking bastard traitor, Boldin! I will not sign any papers and you and your gangster friends. You will end the Soviet Union with this nonsense! Go, get out, some Chief of Staff you are! Chief of Shit-sliming scum!"

Boldin ducked with a look of irritation curling his lips at the invective flung along with the glassware, his greying hair belying his still reasonable reflexes. The tall, aged general in glasses, who had stepped in behind him caught the shot glass with a positively geriatric spasm of motion and a slight intensification of what appeared to be a habitual frown.

"You too Varennikov? Have you taken leave of your senses?"

"I am afraid not, Misha. I have however taken steps to ensure that the guards here are loyal to us... Not all of the men who served in Afghanistan were so pleased to come home. So, take your time for you have much to make up for, and much to do for the State. You will be going nowhere, for your illness precludes moving you. Raisa and Ira will be coming with us however, to ensure that the Workers and Peasants of the Soviet Union retain the vigorous leadership they have grown dearly accustomed to."

Muffled female screaming betrayed the talk as more than just idle, the scuffle between the abductors and their prey echoed through the building as Mikhail leapt to his feet and rushed towards the pair of old coupsters with a look of thunder on his face.

"If you so much as harm a hair on their heads!"

"Calm down Misha!" was all Varennikov managed to muster before he had to support the bulk of Boldin who had been barreled into by Mikhail. A grunting, shoving match ensued as Boldin fought one-handedly, smashing the heavy brown leather suitcase into Mikhail's ribs until he reeled away from them panting.

Varennikov barked an order and two young KGB men barreled into the room and kicked out his feet from under him, hands pressing down on his shoulders as he fell to the floor before being pulled roughly into a kneeling position, as Varennikov stepped forward once more and leant forward so that he was no more than six inches away.

"Perhaps if you will not say you are unfit, we will simply have to make you unfit..."

Varennikov's slow manner of speaking gave the threat more potency as one of the young men in his employ who had a firm hand on his shoulder brought the butt of his pistol to the back of Mikhail's skull and darkness descended...​

Last edited:
Very interesting opening- and now we have another possibly dystopian 90s Russia TL! Looking forward to more.

Ahhhhh.... Most pleasing. :)

Nice to see the Traitor and Wrecker Gorby get a wallop. :D Long overdue.

Looking forward to your next post!

So a Burma-style junta led by Varennikov? Nice. For more information, you can ask Pellegrino on post-Soviet Russian politics. He did the Zhirinovsky TL after all.

Now they must deal with the lack of popular support, opposition by other people in the Soviet state, etc...

Beating up one old man won't be enough.

---0900 Moscow Time, 19.VIII.1991.

Gennady Ivanovich took a swig of vodka again, much to the distress of Vladimir Alexandrovich. The latter reached out and took the glass from the man, before pointing him to the door.

"Do not worry, Comrade Acting President Yanayev. But for the sake of the nation, stop drinking. Your hands are shaking! Now tell the country."

Vladimir Alexandrovich gently pushed the more than mildly inebriated man towards the door and peered into the room, noting the faces from TASS and Pravda as well as Ekho Moskvy. He narrowed his eyes a little at that and then stepped back into the corridor as Yanayev began to inform the nation. He walked briskly now, for time was imperative.

He stepped into a side office and looked at the bureaucrat at his desk. Only two phones. Youngish face. He'd comply.

"Out, I need to use your phone."

An owlish blink rapidly turned into obedience as the man looked him up and down some notes were retrieved and a retreat made.

"Of course, State Security Chief Kryuchkov!"

Vladimir Alexandrovich stepped around the table and hammered the number that he had called many times in recent months into the telephone.

The phone rang for an agonisingly long three rings before it connected.

"Taman Division."

"This is Viktor, calling for Maxim."

The switchboard transferred him without further ado. The line buzzed once and he was connected again.

"Are you listening to the Radio?"

"Yanayev sounds like he's drunk."

"The fool is! Still, get the tanks into the streets. You know the first order of business is to declare Martial Law in Moscow, and I want the Supreme Soviet of the RFSFR surrounded. The Congress of People's Deputies cannot be in a position to challenge the State Security Committee for the State of Emergency."

Vladimir Alexandrovich had spoken quickly, in a flat staccato manner, but the insouciant response he'd got to his initial question was causing him to feel his heart pounding in his chest for what was not the first time in this venture. It probably wouldn't be the last either.

"Alright. We'll be outside the White House soon enough. Not all of my boys are so pleased about this you know though."

"Make them pleased then, we can-fucking-not have doubters now!"

Vladimir Alexandrovich clenched his fist as he slipped into mat but he felt the situation demanded it.

"Don't worry about my boys... worry about the Motherland."

"Why do you think we do this? Varennikov should be back from Crimea later today, he will co-ordinate things once he returns."

"Alright Comrade."

Vladimir Alexandrovich put down the phone and stepped out of the office. It's occupant was nowhere to be seen. He dusted off his lapels and began to head briskly down the hall. He always had to beat doubters and waverers into line, that's why he had Andropov's old office at the Lubyanka. Perhaps he would end up with Andropov's old office in the Kremlin too... A smile crossed Vladimir Alexandrovich's face. That might not be so bad.

3eIgiYg.jpg

Yanayev speaking at the Press Conference

Last edited:
---0930 Moscow Time, 19.VIII.1991

Boris awoke to the sounds of tanks rumbling down the streets and several telephones ringing downstairs. He checked the date on his watch, and raised an eyebrow as he muzzily sat up and perched on the edge of his bed before he put two and two together and lurched to his feet, flinging the doors to his wardrobe open, before turning and putting on his radio before dressing himself.

He caught himself almost humming for a moment before reminding himself of the seriousness of the situation. It had been on the cards for awhile mind. He was the first leader of the RSFSR to actually have any power since the organisation had been created back in the 1920's. Now he had to fight for it, against more than the machinations of Mikhail. Someone downstairs had answered one of his phones, then the others. He wondered who was doing it as he tied his tie, then did his shoes up. He was relatively decent when someone interrupted him at ten. Boris looked to the door and saw the face of Aleksander Vasiliyevich Kerzhakov, his erstwhile bodyguard looking back at him.

"Hey Chief -"

"Da, Da I heard already, on the radio they are saying Yanayev is leading a coup, that the Taman Division are in the streets and they have surrounded the White House! I hope they aren't looking for my address."

Aleksander laughed a little and Boris smiled.

"We have to go into the jaws of the bear here. Ekho Moskvy says that there's already a crowd there. They need a leader! I am that leader!"

"I don't know Chief, there are tanks out there, they might arrest you... or kill you... things look pretty serious."

"Nonsense. These men are old fools and they have forgotten that they came to power on the backs of the people and now the people will lift me, their legal representative up and pull their coup-regime down, if I show them that I am not afraid of this coup."

"Alright, you're the boss but I have my concerns."

Boris waved his hands briskly and then headed to the door, pausing to grab his bodyguard by the shoulder.

"With you by my side Sasha, I have no concerns about my safety. Now come on, let's get going! We have a coup to beat!"

---1230 Moscow Time, 19.VIII.1991

"Drop the car off here, we'll walk the rest."

The streets were full of people milling around, Boris could see that there were plenty of people. There had also been columns of tanks slowly negotiating indecisive crowds, unsure whether to watch or attack. Of the tank columns, one passed directly infront of them on the street ahead and that had forced them to perform a sharp u-turn and find a different route to the cordon around the White House. Boris clambered out the backseat of the civilian Lada that belonged to Aleksander, which had been chosen due to being less conspicuous than the Limousine the state provided him with. A few other cars had pulled up behind them, RSFSR officials and personal associates of his, those who had been calling him. He had rang them all back and arranged to meet with them at his house by eleven before they had headed to the cordon. He dusted off his jacket and glanced around. A group of people were arguing with the tank driver, there were a couple of journalists and photographers there too.

Perfect.

Boris walked to the crowd and a ripple passed through it, and like Moses parting the Red Sea, he found himself face to face with the driver.

"Good morning Comrade Corporal. Taking the tank out for a drive?"

Boris let himself smile a little as he offered a hand to the other man, taking his when it moved to join his and shaking it vigorously.

"You know how it is, I get the orders from the top and I fulfil them, Comrade Chairman."

The driver's reply was guarded, curt. Boris could tell he was worried about the situation, unsure if he was on the right side but he had already conceded a point. Boris had him by the hand, now he had to grab his heart.

"You look to be a good man. How about you lend me your tank and we can end this whole mess here and now, nice and quickly and you'll be not blamed for any of it."

The driver's expression showed him to be thinking about it.

"You want me to shoot?"

"No no, I want to use you as a podium."

"By all means then, the sooner this is over the better."

Boris gestured Aleksander closer and got a leg-up onto the tank before his bodyguard scrambled up alongside him. Others clambered onto the vehicle too. Someone had a Russian flag. People were looking to him expectantly now, and Boris chanced a glance behind him at the building, before looking down at the TV-Camera that had panned onto him. He took a deep breath and moved his mouth to form the words, though he had not any prepared.

"I believe in this tragic hour you can make the right choice. The honor and glory of Russian men of arms shall not be stained with the blood of the people. Storm clouds of terror and dictatorship are gathering over the whole country... They must not be allowed to bring eternal night. Your commanders have ordered you to storm the White House-"

Boris could no longer speak, for the crack of a gunshot a few hundred metres away had put a bullet into his right temple. Aleksander grabbed him and looked around, trying to pull Boris down as his ears faintly registered more gunfire, and the screams of people... He looked at the shock and terror of the face of the cameraman below him as he slumped... and then there was eternal night.

ZjpDOPn.jpg

The last photo of Boris Yeltsin whilst he remained alive.

This will not end well. At all.

Hope you switch between first-person and an overview of the world ITTL.

I will once the butterflies start flapping, we have only now (aside from a little rough handling of Misha) really started to get going.

So Yeltsin got assassinated here too? Let's hope that Varennikov doesn't screw things up or some clown might end up seizing power.

Misha is still alive, but more out of action than IOTL where the hardliners had a bit more respect for him. I am playing this as the original gang of eight production, though as in real life, they'd not got the memo about the end of the USSR.

Last edited:
This slightly reminds of Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire, where Yelstin also gets assassinated. Seems like the guy can't catch a break in any 1991 Revolution timeline.

That aside, this looks great. Keep it going.

This slightly reminds of Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire, where Yelstin also gets assassinated. Seems like the guy can't catch a break in any 1991 Revolution timeline.

That aside, this looks great. Keep it going.

I must admit, I'd thought the idea of a Yeltsin death was original... (forgive me in my noobish ways). Still I think things are going to pan out a bit differently to what I have gleaned from a brief once-through the front page.

I must admit, I've done extensive research around the coup but honestly cannot think of any outcome where Yeltsin survives but is somehow discredited, unless he sided with the coupsters...

I must admit, I'd thought the idea of a Yeltsin death was original... (forgive me in my noobish ways). Still I think things are going to pan out a bit differently to what I have gleaned from a brief once-through the front page.

I must admit, I've done extensive research around the coup but honestly cannot think of any outcome where Yeltsin survives but is somehow discredited, unless he sided with the coupsters...

I'm still fairly new around here too, and I'm writing my first TL as well. It's a learning experience.

You make a fair point about Yeltsin's death. I'm Russian myself, and I honestly can't think of a way that Yeltsin survives in any other scenario than the one that played out historically.