Victoria II

Tellus

Banned
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443061We have a pretty cool Victoria 1 thread. And now, we are less than 30 days away from Victoria II. As a longtime Paradox fan, I think its time we make a thread for this upcoming gem.

Now, I say this despite the fact that I was horribly disappointed at the bug-ridden piece of shit that was Hearts of Iron 3. I promoted it here heavily until it turned out to be utter, smelly crap - which they are just now merely starting to get into decent shape after four patches and an expansion. This being said, I know that that our favorite Swedish developers learned from their mistakes, and I'm betting on them to have outgrown them by standing up, once again, for their next main title. Amongst other things, Vicky 2 will be the first Paradox title backed by in-house QA and professional testers.

Of course, the hope of probably getting a title thats not too buggy isn't enough to generate excitement. For excitement about Vicky 2, you need first of all to be a Vicky/Ricky fan. I know we have many of these here. Then you need to read the Diaries.

INDEX of Developer Diaries for Victoria II

Then, undoubtedly, youll see the amazing potential of this game. 1835-1935 was one HELL of a century, and this game will give it to you raw! Therefore, I suggest we use this thread to discuss our hopes for the upcoming title and our first impressions, as release is very close now!

I'll start, by saying Im planning on an aggressive pan-Islamic Ottoman Empire game first of all. What about you?

I eagerly look forward to this game and merely wish that it doesn't have as crappy a launch as HOI3.

My biggest complaint is the special Japanese Meiji modernization process, but I understand why the devs coded it in. Wonder how hard it is for the other countries to modernize-- I want a Sokoto Empire with dreadnoughts, damnit!

Tellus

Banned
I eagerly look forward to this game and merely wish that it doesn't have as crappy a launch as HOI3.

My biggest complaint is the special Japanese Meiji modernization process, but I understand why the devs coded it in. Wonder how hard it is for the other countries to modernize-- I want a Sokoto Empire with dreadnoughts, damnit!

A fair point - actually, I dont mind at all country-specific decisions, but I wish there were more... Having Japan as the sole favored-child of Civilization amongst the Uncivilized is a problem not because it favors Kyoto but because it forces many other countries who also had a fair shot at fairly early and interesting modernization into generic-ness. I'd have preferred to have unique decisions for China and Persia, too, at the very least!

But in the end, these are fairly minor - and entirely moddable - details.

I've never played a Vicky game before in my life. Quick question: can you cede territory to other nations? Or must all territory be conquered or something?

In Vicky when asking fro peace you could seek technology, particular lands, colonies, war rep, disarm the enemy, and much more. The game is really indepth.

I've never played a Vicky game before in my life. Quick question: can you cede territory to other nations? Or must all territory be conquered or something?
Victoria has basically the same peace mechanic as all other Paradox games. During a war you don't actually conquer territory, but you can choose to take provinces when you sue for peace. If you end up losing you can cede territory in the peace agreement.

I have no idea what nation I'll play first, depends on if their are any new ones.

I do hope they kept the thing with the Raj being separate from Britain itself though, having it integral really screws with Britain games.

I have no idea what nation I'll play first, depends on if their are any new ones.

I do hope they kept the thing with the Raj being separate from Britain itself though, having it integral really screws with Britain games.

I'll be the good 'ol Yu Es Ei

You can't peacefully exchange territory in Victoria 2.
Darn, I really wanted to screw with that.

France: Hey Germany, want Alsace-Lorraine?
Germany: Ja, warum?
French: Here, just take all of North France and our colonies, buddy!
Germany: Was ist das!?

Three options:

1. Test my hand at Italian Unification.

2. Wait and find out how difficult it is to civilize not-Japan, then possibly take the reigns of Persia.

3. Mod in my own, not overpowered, country and play as that.

If it is at all going to be sold in stores near my home - Yeah, it took me quite some efforts to find Victoria I here - I will, first of all, play as Germany in the Great War. Afterwards, I will probably play as Prussia in the main scenario.