Let Us Continue: A TLIAW

mwQmXFY.jpg

••••••
Hiiiiiiiiii evvvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrryyyyybooooodddddyyyyy

Good Lord. What have you been smoking?

Nothing. I'm just exited for this new TLIAW!

But you've never finished a TLIAW, you're a lazy bum.

That's why I got help.

Wha…

Hi you guys!

Uggghhh…BonnieBlue85 and BonnieBlue85's Snarky Internal Monologue reporting for duty.

Lets Get it over with.

Your such a downer.

Your Monologue snarking?

Yes, anyway lets explain what's going on.

Cool! Basically it tells the tale of the rebirth of the Greatest President Ever(TM): Lyndon Baines Johnson! Yaaaaaaayy

Shut up.

But you're my monologue!

Your snarky monologue, it doesn't matter my personal opinion, I oppose you.

Why did you make me work with these people?

Because I've got writers block for Gilded Dreams.

*sigh*

Shall we get on with it?

We shall. It all started in Texas during the year 1970……

Wait, I didn't realize Bonnie was actually involved in this. I thought the opening was just making fun of her obsession. You guys going to alternate who makes updates?

Wait, I didn't realize Bonnie was actually involved in this. I thought the opening was just making fun of her obsession. You guys going to alternate who makes updates?

Yeah. She'll be doing some of the more personal stuff, mainly the health changes required to keep LBJ going. I'll be doing "big picture" stuff.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW SNAP. Consider me subscribed, baby! :D 1970, though... Does the POD involve a Mr. Connally, perhaps? :p (Don't tell me, don't tell me)

Statesman? I thought you didn't like Lyndon! :p I'll post my update later today. :cool:

Don't like but admire. Plus, we have to support our friends and as a forum we ought to support people who don't make all that many TLs who are starting to post up stories, shouldn't we? Isn't that what this place is about?

(Author’s note: Thanks to Breezy for his helpful suggestions. Much appreciated, partner! Also, descriptions of LBJ’s Ranch are based on my visit there back in
February.)

Let Us Continue...: An LBJ TLIAW

Lyndon Baines Johnson, former President of the United States, was looking over his ranch in Stonewall, Texas, his wife Lady Bird at his side. Both were silent, surveying their land as the sun shone overhead, beginning to disappear over the horizon, Bird was content to watch, but Lyndon's mind was whirring away. How had it come to this, he thought. “Sittin' on my ass fer too long Bird” he said into the comfortable silence of his ranch. His wife raised an eyebrow.

“We've been over this, Lyndon.” She replied cautiously, “You're too old. Let it be, politics is a young man’s game”. Lyndon snorted, laughing.

“Time to go.” He responded, standing up. “I gotta run again, Bird, it’s time.”

Lady Bird, knowing it was futile to argue, rolled her eyes in exasperation. She didn’t want to go back to the world of politics, but it was clear she had no choice. He would indeed run again. She sincerely hoped that going back to the Senate would satisfy her headstrong and impetuous husband, but she had a feeling it would not.

Lyndon Johnson’s health had been stable since leaving the Presidency last January, though that was mostly due to his wife being in charge of his diet, hiding his alcohol stash, and not letting him have the cigarettes he often craved. He was well aware that Johnson men tended to die in their 60s, but maybe he could break that tradition. He certainly wanted to try. Could he even win the election though? Vietnam was still going on, and it was even more unpopular than it had been when he had left office in January 1969. Regardless, he was going to run for the Senate again.

Feeling more cheerful than he had in months, he paused for a moment to enjoy the sight of the Pedernales River cutting through his property. He loved living out here in the Texas Hill Country, but he missed the excitement of Washington DC. He missed being involved in the decision making process, and having the ability to bend people to his will. After admiring the scenery, LBJ went inside the Texas White House to call some of his political cronies. He had a Senate campaign to plan.

Last edited:
Texas, 1970.

Senator Ralph Yarbrough faced reelection in 1970. This was not surprising, it'd been 6 years he'd won his last election so it was time to face the voters of Texas once again. Yarbrough was certainly an odd politician to hail from Texas. He'd voted for the Great Society, very publicly. Texas was not exactly a liberal state and so he faced backlash. He'd supported the Civil Right's Act and other desegregation efforts. Texas was a solidly Southern state and many did not take kindly to his actions. Finally he'd been vocally opposed to the Johnson Administration's handling of the Vietnam War, despite backing his former friend Domestically. Texas was a hawkish state. Still Yarbrough had a loyal support base, comprised of Liberal Democrats. It seemed like he'd have a smooth road to the democratic nomination, at the very least.

Then came Lloyd Bentsen.

Bentsen was a World War Two veteran turned Congressmen turned successful businessman. He was a face for the moderate, if not conservative wing of the Texas Democratic Party. He took advantage of Yarbrough's poor political moves. He attacked Yarbrough for his support of Civil Rights initiatives, especially Busing. He used his military background to drum up support for Vietnam and attack Yarbrough. Suddenly the sitting Senator faced a tough reelection campaign.

But there was one last twist.

The sudden and shocking entry of Former President Lyndon Johnson into the Senate race took most commentators aback, considering just how unpopular he was nationwide. But Texas was different, and Johnson knew Texas. He still had a loyal following ready to truly go "All the Way With LBJ" and threw the race into chaos. He struck an unapologetic tone in favor of the Great Society and Civil Rights, which appealed him to Yarbrough supporters. While he (very cautiously and sullenly) admitted that "there were some errors" made in Vietnam the former Commander-in-Chief remained supportive of the overall war and its goals. This in turn helped him with Benstien supporters. He was the middle ground for Pro-Great Society and Pro-Vietnam supports, however rare they were. As the architect of the Great Society as well as Vietnam he appealed to more one issue voters on each of the subjects. He also ran an incredibly strong campaign playing up his strong experience in the Senate and his record. When the Primary finally rolled around he found himself in first place over Benstien then Yarbrough, though by nowhere near enough to avoid a runoff.

1970 Democratic Texas Senate Primary - Round 1

Lyndon Johnson- 36%
Lloyd Benstien- 34%
Ralph Yarbrough- 30%

Yarbrough, despite having an opinion of Lyndon Johnson that had become increasingly bitter over the years, saw him as the lesser of the two evils and backed him over Benstien. As for Benstien himself he'd initially poured his efforts into painting Yarbrough as a "wooly headed liberal" type, a tactic that left him woefully unprepared for a race against the definitively not wooly headed Johnson. This, along with Yarbrough's support, meant that Johnson had a relatively easy time in the runoff.

1970 Democratic Texas Senate Primary - Runoff

Lyndon Johnson- 64%
Lloyd Benstien- 36%

Thus Johnson's attention turned to his Republican opponent, George HW Bush, who had faced a much less grueling Republican Primary. Bush had backed Civil Rights and favored the Nixon Administration on Vietnam. Johnson proved stronger then Bush however as he wrapped up the Economically Liberal groups that had been at best lukewarm about Benstien. He slammed Bush for his relative lack of experience and called him a carpetbagger. In the end the only thing that kept the race close was the unpopularity of Johnson in some areas.

Texas Senate Election 1970

Lyndon Johnson- 52%
George HW Bush- 48%

Curious how Lyndon will do as Senator and what his political career will be after this. And it might also set a precedent, so Presidents are still active in politics after they retire from the Presidency.

Subscribed.