AHC:Machine worship, ASB or Posbille

Is anytime in History, Human could have Cult of the Machine.

(A: Must They think Machine have Spirits and B:Use Rune or other Magical look way to repair machine, It could have Machine God(s) but it not not required)

Last edited:
Some Cargo Cults have some basic aspects of it, namely they consider airplanes to be magical/sent by deities.

The only way you can really develop a 'machine cult' is through an apocalyptic event or via a very large scale manipulation of a less advanced population by a more advanced one, something like say 1940's Britain convincing a large uncontacted technologically primitive civilization that machines were dive or magic.

People believe all kinds of strange things, so I'd say it's not impossible. Probably require a deep PoD, though - I can imagine a "Cult of the Machine" in 19th century Europe, but I can't imagine it growing to be more then a tiny minority. To get it widespread, I think you'd need to have either drastically changed religious/social conditions in Europe in the 19th century, or you'd need to have the industrial revolution take place somewhere else.

i can imagine a sort of adeptus mechanicus appearing when technology starts to advance faster than the common person can comprehend.

was it really jesus who multiplied bread and fish or was it a matter replicator? only the omnissiah knows.

Did you know that in Hinduism, there is a concept of 'Vishwakarma' or the 'divine architect'. He is the 'Engineer' of the world. He is the closest we actually have to a modern day 'machine God'. He is worshiped by all craftsmen, specifically in the form of their tools. On Vishwakarma Puja (Holy Day) all technical people like craftsmen, machine operators, even architects, engineers or other professionals worship their tools and anoint them with what i can best describe to you as holy runes and symbols.

I have seen people in the transportation industry like truck, bus and taxi drivers, pilots, rail personnel, etc., anoint their cars, buses, trucks, planes and locomotives with holy symbols on Vishwakarma Puja Day. They believe the 'spirit of their tools and machines' are to be worshiped. Even factory machine tools, etc., and the recent Indian probe to Mars were anointed in similar fashion. This practice is most prevalent in Eastern and Northern India.

I never really saw it as something similar to the cult of the Omnissiah of 40k until you guys mentioned it. I guess a machine God isn't so ASB after all.

Is anytime in History, Human could have Cult of the Machine.

(A: Must They think Machine have Spirits and B:Use Rune or other Magical look way to repair machine, It could have Machine God(s) but it not not required)

H. G. Wells, The Lord of the Dynamos

"So ended prematurely the Worship of the Dynamo Deity, perhaps the most short-lived of all religions. Yet withal it could at least boast a Martyrdom and a Human Sacrifice."

Did you know that in Hinduism, there is a concept of 'Vishwakarma' or the 'divine architect'. He is the 'Engineer' of the world. He is the closest we actually have to a modern day 'machine God'. He is worshiped by all craftsmen, specifically in the form of their tools. On Vishwakarma Puja (Holy Day) all technical people like craftsmen, machine operators, even architects, engineers or other professionals worship their tools and anoint them with what i can best describe to you as holy runes and symbols.

I have seen people in the transportation industry like truck, bus and taxi drivers, pilots, rail personnel, etc., anoint their cars, buses, trucks, planes and locomotives with holy symbols on Vishwakarma Puja Day. They believe the 'spirit of their tools and machines' are to be worshiped. Even factory machine tools, etc., and the recent Indian probe to Mars were anointed in similar fashion. This practice is most prevalent in Eastern and Northern India.

I never really saw it as something similar to the cult of the Omnissiah of 40k until you guys mentioned it. I guess a machine God isn't so ASB after all.

hn.

there's the Deist idea of the Divine Clockmaker. Deism was a powerful force after the breakdown of the Church. Science was revered in a quasi-religious way, what with the idea of absolute truth.

maybe you can incorporate that into a weird alt-French Revolution, as an organized opposing force to the Romantic movement, and it goes into full force in the Victorian age. something like an anti-Spiritualism.