Accurate List of U.S. Protectorates?

Is this map accurate? I'm going to use it in a future TL, probably.

0d351b0b.jpg

By accurate I mean were those nations really protectorates? And were there any countries not included on the map? Should Honduras be counted as a protectorate/quasi-protectorate?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Probably

There are other bits and pieces, such as US occupation of much of Mexico in 1846-8 during the war

And Willam Walker's expedition to... Nicaragua / also later expeditions to Miskitia then a British protectorate

Grey Wolf

The US also gained Guam and the Phillipines in the Spanish American War, and Liberia was a US "quasi-protectorate" for most of the 19th century...

Simon ;)

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
simonbp said:
The US also gained Guam and the Phillipines in the Spanish American War, and Liberia was a US "quasi-protectorate" for most of the 19th century...

Simon ;)

Oh yeah, what about Samoa then, and Micronesia etc ? I guess its just a map of the Caribbean and one needs an additional one for the Pacific.

What was Liberia's legal status before independence in the 1840s ?

Grey Wolf

The Republic of Hawaii, as opposed to the Kingdom of Hawaii, was a defacto US protectorate between 1894 and its annexation in 1898.

What about other possibles discussed in previous threads like Armenia (posy-WWI) or Sicily (post-WWII) ? Maybe all or part of Australia and NZ as well ? Then OTL there's Guam, Wake, etc.

I believe that up to Liberia's legal status from the 1820s and 1st freed slave settlement at Grand Bassa was as a colony, until independence was declared 1847.

Australia has been an independent commonwealth since the 1870s (?). Don't know about NZ though. Still, such things are doubtful. Why would we want to posess it, especially since the same sentiment of "civilizing" non-European peoples can't be used? The early 20th century imperialism was pretty much an aberration in American foreign policy. Pre-1890s, it wasn't a popular thought and post-1930, it was abandoned.

David, Australia's been a self-governing Cth since federation in 1900-01, altho the individual colonies (NSW, Vic, Tas, SA, WA, Qld) were also self-governing entities recognised as such by London from the mid-1850s.

New Zealand became under British sovereignty in the 1840s following the Treaty of Waitangi between the indigenous Maori people and the Crown. Interestingly, one reason is that Maori people wanted protection againmst Americans who were whaling sealing and generally being Americans (jes kiddin' about the last). Provincial government followed in the mid 1850s, rapidly evolving into complete independence as explained on this page:http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/G/GovernmentParliament/EstablishmentOfRepresentativeInstitutions/en.

Last edited: