Alternate Names for OTL countries

Basically as the title says. What are some good alternate names for OTL countries?

The countries can be short lived like the CSA or The Republic of Texas or be long lived like the United Kingdom, France, or the United States. They can also be countries that were long lived but were conquered by/united with another country, like England or one of the former independent Spanish Kingdoms like Catalan.

The names have to actually make sense and be something that the inhabitants of the country would call it back when the name started becoming widespread and in common usage. For countries like the United States that actually chose their name, the name would have to be something that the founders/namers of the country would come up with.

When coming up with a name, please post the OTL name of the country you are renaming (of course :p) and a reason for/explanation of why the new name was chosen.

Some name ideas I have are as follows:

For the United States of America, the United States of Columbia, Columbia being a poetic name for America since the 1700s (according to The Great, Amazing, and Infallible Wikipedia :p). The name 'United States of Columbia' would help avoid the small predicament of US citizens being called Americans when really the term 'American' also applies to the rest of the people living in the Americas as well, though it might cause confusion with the South American country called Columbia if it was still founded/called Columbia.

For England, Anglo-Saxony. It seems slightly strange to me that the England was only named after one of the three Germanic tribes (Angles, Saxons and Jutes) that settled/conquered it way back in the early Middle Ages. Anglo-Saxony would at least be named after two of them. ;) It also gives another region that would be named after the Saxons in addition to the Continental Saxonies in Modern Day Germany.

For France, Gaul, after what the region was called during Antiquity. Gaul could be adopted/retained either during the Middle ages instead of France or could be readopted by the French people during one of their revolutions/changes of government since the late 1700s.

For the Netherlands, Belgium. It was used in Latin during the Republic, as Belgica Foederata, so it could end up in general use.

If the USA chooses Columbia and the Civil War still happens the CSA would probably be called the Confederate States of Columbia.

Turkey could be called Turkestan (Land of the Turks), which IOTL refers to Central Asia.

Iran could be Iranshahr (one of the native names for Iran).

Arabic sources could have called the whole continent of Africa Bilad as-sudan (land of the Blacks). If this had stuck (although that might not happen since European sources were calling it Africa since possibly the Romans) then the continent would have been called Sudan.

If Portuguese explorers had referred to China by the Roman name we would be talking about Serica (Land of Silk).

An independent kingdom in Brittany that retains control of the Norman coast could be called Armorica.

Scotland could be referred to as Pictland if you're feeling Roman enough.

The Iberian kingdoms could've gone a lot of ways in terms of names, besides just Spain remaining Castille or whatever kingdom may dominate the peninsula. Leon could remain Asturias, for example.

Colombia could be New Granada, as per the Viceroyalty that preceded it. If Bolivar died before the independence of Bolivia, it would probably be called Charcas, or maybe they'd name it after another liberator. The name "Desucria" makes me chuckle. Maybe Argentina could end up Platinea? Not so sure about this one.

If Francisco de Miranda succeeded in leading the earlier fights for independence against Spain, he could've easily had a country named after him. Mirandia? Better than Desucria.

Egypt - Misr or Kemet if Egyptians would be extremely passioned with Ancient Egypt.

Greece - Hellas

Japan - Nippon

Benin - Dahomey (Could easily keep its colonial name)

And perhaps Siam never change its name. Or it can keep name Ayutthaya.

For the Netherlands, Belgium. It was used in Latin during the Republic, as Belgica Foederata, so it could end up in general use.

Hmm, yes... OTL Belgium would need a new name (what it would be Idk) but that is possible.

If the USA chooses Columbia and the Civil War still happens the CSA would probably be called the Confederate States of Columbia.

Turkey could be called Turkestan (Land of the Turks), which IOTL refers to Central Asia.

Iran could be Iranshahr (one of the native names for Iran).

Arabic sources could have called the whole continent of Africa Bilad as-sudan (land of the Blacks). If this had stuck (although that might not happen since European sources were calling it Africa since possibly the Romans) then the continent would have been called Sudan.

If Portuguese explorers had referred to China by the Roman name we would be talking about Serica (Land of Silk).

Yeah, If USA goes USC, I consider it likely the CSA would go CSC

I don't know much about Iran, but that's a possibility.

I could see Sudan and Africa being used in various combinations or alterations for the continent, for example *Sudan being used for the whole continent and *Africa being used for a region, such as OTL North Africa. Sort of like how IOTL Africa is used for the whole continent and Sudan is used for the countries Sudan and South Sudan.

China could be called Serica. I believe China doesn't even use the 'China' in the Chinese name for the country so it's not unheard for a foreign name to be widespread in foreign parts (though I believe 'China' was based off the name of a Chinese dynasty I think it's possible Serica could stick especially if it was widely used during the Age of Exploration).

An independent kingdom in Brittany that retains control of the Norman coast could be called Armorica.

Scotland could be referred to as Pictland if you're feeling Roman enough.

The Iberian kingdoms could've gone a lot of ways in terms of names, besides just Spain remaining Castille or whatever kingdom may dominate the peninsula. Leon could remain Asturias, for example.

Colombia could be New Granada, as per the Viceroyalty that preceded it. If Bolivar died before the independence of Bolivia, it would probably be called Charcas, or maybe they'd name it after another liberator. The name "Desucria" makes me chuckle. Maybe Argentina could end up Platinea? Not so sure about this one.

If Francisco de Miranda succeeded in leading the earlier fights for independence against Spain, he could've easily had a country named after him. Mirandia? Better than Desucria.

For Scotland, I think Caledonia was the term used by the Romans (Idk, maybe Pictland was used too; it would be an interesting alternative), but I think I get the gist of what you're saying; Caledonia instead of Scotland could (possibly, I'm no expert :p) take hold and stay for good, at least as a more widely used name. Britain was named after the Britons and they were conquered a long time ago.

Good info on OTL Columbia;s name. A name like New Granada would solve the issue.

Egypt - Misr or Kemet if Egyptians would be extremely passioned with Ancient Egypt.

Greece - Hellas

Japan - Nippon

Benin - Dahomey (Could easily keep its colonial name)

And perhaps Siam never change its name. Or it can keep name Ayutthaya.

Good suggestions.

I believe Egypt already calls itself something like Misr, but yes, it would need to take a greater hold on the West. Maybe if after Egypt gained its independence from colonial powers most recently it pressed hard for a native based name to be recognized in the international circle...

Nippon for Japan could be a good one. Still pretty simple and easy to pronounce. It could catch on...

For Germany, something like dutchland? Or anything other similar to Deutschland?

Very possibly. In English, Dutch was a pretty common term for Germans (for example the Pennsylvania Dutch are actually descendents of Germans who received the name 'Dutch').

Another possibility for the English name of Germany would be a variation of Alemania, which is the Spanish name for the country.

South Africa might adapt the name Azania as part of an Africanization sentiment if a post-apartheid government decides to have that idea all of a sudden.

For England, Anglo-Saxony. It seems slightly strange to me that the England was only named after one of the three Germanic tribes (Angles, Saxons and Jutes) that settled/conquered it way back in the early Middle Ages. Anglo-Saxony would at least be named after two of them. ;) It also gives another region that would be named after the Saxons in addition to the Continental Saxonies in Modern Day Germany.

There are actually parts of OTL England that are named for the Saxons - if you've ever wondered about the etymology of the -sex placenames, such as Sussex and Essex, it's from Old English -seax, a form of the ethnonym Saxon. Sussex is etymologically "South Saxons", Essex "East Saxons", Wessex "West Saxons", Middlesex "Middle Saxons".

Many of the language-specific endonyms of various nations could fit this challenge. Some have been mentioned above, but a few more are:

Suomi - Finland
Magyar - Hungary ("Magyar" forms the basis of the name for Hungary in many languges, such as Hungarian "Magyarország", Turkish "Macaristan", Persian "Majârestân")
Hanguk, Chosen - Korea
Khmer - Cambodia

Some other alternate names from OTL, many of which would be throwbacks to earlier Classical or Medieval names:

Helvetia - Switzerland
Gedrosia, Makran - Baluchistan
Lechia - Poland (compare Persian "Lehestân" for Poland)
Hindustan - India (this is the Turkish/Persian name for the region)
Mesopotamia, Assyria - Iraq
Cathay - China (compare Russian "Kitáy" for China)

In the Americas and Africa, the possibilities become almost limitless, given the myriad tribes and languages found across these continents. To give some notable examples that crop up a lot in ATLs:

Tawantinsuyu - Peru
Meshika - Mexico
Haudenosaunee - New York

Songhay - Mali, Niger

Asami

Banned
Germany could be called Teutonica or Arminia (after Armin/Hermann).

The country of Georgia could be called Kartvelia.

Germany could be called Teutonica or Arminia (after Armin/Hermann).

The country of Georgia could be called Kartvelia.

About Georgia agree but for Germany better names might be Teutonia or Allemannia. European nations haven't usually if ever named after persons. Some city might be named after Armin anyway, but it probably would happen on 19th century or Hitler might re-name some city as Arminstadt/-burg.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Europe:

• Transalpine republic for France.
  • Transrheanian republic for Germany.
  • Transpyrenean republic for Spain.
Africa:

• Libya for Africa as a whole.
  • Africa for Tunisia.
  • Carthage - Tunisia.
  • Numidia - Tunisia.

With an early enouh POD france might get a name as gaul or Gallia. Probally changing over time, but still...

Also lothringia for one of the Benelux states