Consequences of an "Afghan My Lai"?

ThePest179

Banned
Before this officially starts, I want to say that I do not support war crimes or massacres of any kind, anywhere.

Now then, what would be the international reaction, US response, and Afghan reaction to a group of US soldiers losing it and doing a repeat of the My Lai massacre in Afghanistan?

Groups of US soldiers did, in fact, lose it in Afghanistan and Iraq on several separate occasions (such as the Shinwar and Haditha massacres). "Fortunately" the death toll was not as high as My Lai, so I'm not sure whether they count for the purpose of the thread.

Afghans/Iraqis protested but ultimately couldn't do much, the US made a half-hearted attempt to cover it up, the international community expressed some Deep Concern. ie. the reaction was pretty much nothing.

ThePest179

Banned
Groups of US soldiers did, in fact, lose it in Afghanistan and Iraq on several separate occasions (such as the Shinwar and Haditha massacres). "Fortunately" the death toll was not as high as My Lai, so I'm not sure whether they count for the purpose of the thread.

Holy shit! I had no idea some honest to god massacres took place! :eek::(

But anyways, for the purpose of the thread, they don't count.

Realpolitik

Banned
The Soviets got away with slaughtering a million and forcing five million more to flee, as well as reportedly using chemical weapons. The world yawned, even with the Afghan girl on TIME.

I don't think an Afghan My Lai would cause a huge disturbance unless it's well publicized and graphic.

The Soviets got away with slaughtering a million and forcing five million more to flee, as well as reportedly using chemical weapons. The world yawned, even with the Afghan girl on TIME.

I don't think an Afghan My Lai would cause a huge disturbance unless it's well publicized and graphic.
Then what was it about the My Lai massacre that struck such a nerve with the public?

ThePest179

Banned

Soviets were different, due to a multitude of reasons (they didn't have free press, and didn't commit a My Lai scale atrocity, at least publicly), and even then still had many countries opposing and condemning the invasion of Afghanistan.

Then what was it about the My Lai massacre that struck such a nerve with the public?

Again, many factors (the simple fact that its American troops, who are 'supposed to be the good guys' is a big one).

tedio

Banned

Afghans/Iraqis protested but ultimately couldn't do much, the US made a half-hearted attempt to cover it up, the international community expressed some Deep Concern. ie. the reaction was pretty much nothing.

Don't forget the Panjwai Massacre. Of course, that was just the one guy.