Great President and Vice President Pairings That Never Came To Be

• Thread starter Deleted member 87099
  • Start date

Deleted member 87099

So just as the title says, what do you think would have been a great
presidential/vice presidential combo that never came to fruition.

Personally, I think that a Nixon/Rockefeller ticket would have been a good combo.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Maybe Bob Graham connecting with someone and be a real asset as v.p. in the administration?

And alright, he's a little quirky. Maybe that plays to strength.

TinyTartar

Banned
W./Condy might have been an interesting idea.

I can't think of two people in government with a tighter friendship than those two, and it might have been interesting to see if Bush would have stayed closer to the Born Again Christian, Compassionate Conservatism policies that made him a popular Texas Governor if he had someone less cynical than Cheney as his Vice.

Another good one might have been Hillary Clinton/Joe Lieberman. That would be a Democratic ticket I could get behind. Lots of foreign policy experience.

Al Gore & Joe Biden in 2000. Gore mainly needed to avoid choosing a complete and utter disaster in 2000, and Joe Biden's tendency to gaffes notwithstanding, he's a respected foreign policy mind who has a reputation for working across the aisle, and is an acceptable campaigner (at least, relative to Joe Lieberman, who was probably one of the worst VP candidates of the past 30 years.)

So just as the title says, what do you think would have been a great
presidential/vice presidential combo that never came to fruition.

Personally, I think that a Nixon/Rockefeller ticket would have been a good combo.

The problem with that was that electors cannot vote for a President and Vice President from their own state. Nixon in 1968 was a resident of New York, so the New York electoral vote could be lost for the Vice Presidential vote.

(One presumes that a major reason for putting Rocky on the ticket would be to carry New York. If that doesn't happen, why bother?)

TinyTartar

Banned
I've always liked Endicott Peabody's idea of a Humphrey-Rockefeller ticket in 1968: https://www.alternatehistory.com/Discussion/showthread.php?t=336723

That idea would absolutely smack of Eastern Establishment politics and would probably be very unpopular with much of the country.

I mean, for one, look who is suggesting it. If I had to pick a single name that exemplified WASPs, Endicott Peabody would be the one. That guy sounds like his family was on the Mayflower and he was probably one of the boarding school kids in "School Ties".

It would be like nominating a Hillary/Jeb ticket in 2016. There would be visceral dislike of that kind of collusion and it would upset the political balance of things to the extent that it would allow a George Wallace type to have a chance.

Bentsen/Jackson in '88 would've made a much better selection to beat Bush. Bensten was much better at the game than Bush I and could easily have played Bush as the elitist carpetbagger he was. And Jesse Jackson would've eaten Dan Quayle lunch just as well as Bensten did.

Ross Perot/Steve Jobs...

But for the two party system, Romney/Rubio comes to mind.

Dubya Bush/Liz Dole
Reagan/Rumsfeld ;)
Jackson/Bayh
Nixon/H.W. Bush
Bobby Kennedy/Terry Sanford
And, going way back, Hamilton/Jay

Edward Kennedy/Harold Hughes. Campaign slogan "You drink, I'll drive".

[Senator Harold Hughes of Iowa was a reformed alcoholic.]