AHC/WI: Greenland part of Canada

With a POD of around 1900, have Greenland become a territory of Canada (like Nuavaut is, for example). Also, how much would this change Greenland and Canada?

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
The UK purchases Greenland between 1920-1939 and makes it part of Newfoundland and Labrador. When Newfoundland and Labrador join the Canadian Confederation, Greenland becomes a Nunavut style territory.

I think it's more likely in WWII.

When Iceland goes independent, the Greenlanders think 'oh, oh'. They're not really viable on their own, the Nazi-controlled government in Denmark is issuing stupid orders (that might actually be your PoD), and Greenland decides to switch allegiance to a nearby country who's actively part of the allies, and who has a significant population that speaks an intelligible language.

The US is mildly annoyed that Greenland didn't choose them/their 'protection', but it's not worth making an issue about.

To quote an old soc.history.what-if post of mine:

"In 1920 the Danish government asked the UK to recognize its right to extend
its political and economic interest in the whole of Greenland--a claim to
sovereignty already acknowledged by the US as a condition of the cession of
the Danish West Indies four years earlier. The British government replied
that it would agree to this proposition only if granted the right of pre-
emptive purchase in case Denmark should consider disposing of Greenland.
When word of the British demand reached Washington, Secretary of State Colby
strongly objected, and in deference to the US objection, the UK softened its
conditions.

"Even in 1940, when one might think after Hitler's occupation of Denmark, the
US might welcome a British or Canadian occupation of Greenland, instead the
US was anxious to prevent precisely this event, while not yet ready to
dispatch troops itself. (Eventually it did, of course, but only after
keeping the question in suspense for a year.) This was partly out of a
desire to deny Japan an excuse for a 'protective' occupation of the Dutch
East Indies should Hitler make his expected assault on Holland. But it was
also a product of the US belief that Greenland was part of the Western
Hemisphere, and that the Monroe Doctrine (including the no-transfer policy)
applied. Hull specifically reminded Lord Lothian of Colby's 1920 note, which
Hull called an 'express application of the Monroe Doctrine by the United
States.'" https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.history.what-if/Y6b49i2xeeI/Kr2WwQ-NuTIJ

I think it's more likely in WWII.

When Iceland goes independent, the Greenlanders think 'oh, oh'. They're not really viable on their own, the Nazi-controlled government in Denmark is issuing stupid orders (that might actually be your PoD), and Greenland decides to switch allegiance to a nearby country who's actively part of the allies, and who has a significant population that speaks an intelligible language.

The US is mildly annoyed that Greenland didn't choose them/their 'protection', but it's not worth making an issue about.

Interesting, do you think maybe having a joint Canadian-American occupation of Denmark instead of OTL's just American one would help this?

OTL 1946 the US seriously offered to buy Greenland for $100 million. It was turned down (today's money that would be slightly over $1.2 BILLION). What can Canada offer Denmark?

OTL 1946 the US seriously offered to buy Greenland for $100 million. It was turned down (today's money that would be slightly over $1.2 BILLION). What can Canada offer Denmark?

I think occupying Greenland is more of a viable pathway to a Canadian Greenland.

Hmm even in today's money that doesn't seem that much for such a large a territory.

I'm guessing not much of value on Greenland?

Hmm even in today's money that doesn't seem that much for such a large a territory.

I'm guessing not much of value on Greenland?

It was a lot of money in the 40s for a huge chunk of ice that had no resources that could be tapped (or so they thought, but they're still pretty hard to get to).

Not being the US?:)

Seriously, the Inuit of Greenland (the large majority of the population) are closely related to the Inuit of Canada, and are next door. If it's up to THEM (not the Danish Folketing), they might well pick Canada over the US.

If it were up to the Danes, AND if they wanted to sell, then I'm sure the US would have the better offer.