Let the artisans work at their cartography
And give not the contest your chaff!

---

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present to you

The (Un)Official AH.com
MAP OF THE FORTNIGHT
Map Contest

---​

I'd like to welcome you to the Map of the Fortnight contest's new main discussion thread. It's a lot fancier than the old one, but I'm frankly not too happy with the choice of curtains (Fuchsia? Really?), oh well. Time to crack on with this map contest business, I think.

First I believe 'twould be prudent to lay down some rules and regulations, just in case any issues come up concerning them in future. Nothing has really changed, but some points need clarification (and by "clarification" I mean "me rambling on incoherently for three paragraphs, ultimately making the issue about clear as mud").

---

Rules, Regulations and Relevant Ishkabibble

Concerning contest entry viability

Your entry for the map contest must meet the guidelines and restrictions as laid out in the opening post for the entry thread for that challenge. Whether your map meets these guidelines is judged by whoever is running the contest that round, and will generally either be me or Scarecrow.

If your initial map entry does not meet the challenge criteria or your own personal standards then you may make any changes you want to your entry prior to the deadline. As long as your entry meets the challenge criteria on the deadline it will be included in the voting.

If your entry does not meet the challenge criteria or is otherwise unsuitable then the person running the contest for that round will message you to tell you how and why it is unsuitable as soon as possible.

If you do make any changes to your entry after initially posting it, then it would be polite and helpful to message the person who's running that round (either me or Scarecrow, as mentioned previously) in order to let them know.

Entries must be created specifically for the contest; they may not be maps you have previously made that happen to fit the contest's guidelines.

Entries submitted after the deadline will not be included in the voting.

---

Concerning the selection of map challenge criteria

All map challenge suggestions must go in this thread. Challenge suggestions should be emboldened in order to make them stand out from general chatter. Anyone is free to suggest a new map challenge idea at any time. The map challenges for each fortnight will be chosen for each round by the person running that round.

Ultimately the choice is up to the person running the round, but popular opinion will be a major factor in the selection process. This is, on a very basic level, because you'd totally hate it if we ignored your opinions, and then this whole endeavour would be over very quickly.

---

Concerning how it is decided who has won

After the entry period for a round is over a poll with all the successful entries as options will be posted. The entry with the single highest number of votes after one week is declared the winning entry; the decision is entirely democratic.

---

Concerning the length and timing of the contest and voting

Any MoF challenge will permit entries from the entry thread's creation until midnight on the Sunday after next (unless otherwise specified). Ideally each MoF round should start on a Monday and end on a Sunday, but I'm occasionally forgetful and lazy so I may post the entry threads later sometimes (I'm not sure how good Scarecrow is on the forgetful and lazy front, but I'd give him the same leeway). In any case the challenge for each round should be decided on and announced before the actual start of the round, so you will have the full two weeks to make your map.

The voting thread for each MoF lasts exactly 7 days regardless of when it was posted. This is because of the forum's rather convenient ability to automatically close a poll after a specific number of days.

The voting thread for the previous round and the entries thread for the current round should be posted at the same time, so that the voting for the previous round overlaps with the current round. This is so that there is a new challenge every fortnight, even though each challenge takes three weeks to reach a full conclusion.

---

Concerning what different threads are to be used for

The main thread: That's this one. This thread is to be used for making map challenge suggestions, discussing the current round (or previous rounds, if you so wish. Not future rounds, though, as that would violate the laws of space-time.), and anything else not covered by other threads. Basically: if in doubt, post in here.

The entry threads: Entry threads will have titles that consist of the round number and the name of that round's challenge, for example: "MoF 25: TO SALTED EARTH, THROUGH BURNING SKY". These threads are to be used for posting your entry for the current round and any accompanying description, nothing else. Posting anything else in these threads will get you disqualified from entering in the contest for that round.

The voting threads: Voting threads will have the exact same title as the relevant entry thread, but with " - Voting thread" attached on the end. This is the place to discuss your reasons for voting as you did, or to discuss the map entries after the entry period is over.

---

Concerning why Krall won't just shut up and get on with it

Okay! Geez.

---​

Right, I think that's all the relevant information. As always if you're confused or in any doubt, please feel free to message me with your query.

The next few posts should either be me posting links to new MoF entry and voting threads, reposting popular map challenges from the end of the previous main thread and what have you, or other people posting comments like "Gosh, Krall sure is awesome." or "My goodness! This 'Krall' fellow is almost enough to turn one homosexual! In fact, forget the almost." and so forth.

So, without further ado, I hereby declare this discussion thread open for business!​

Last edited:
Do we have to start making the maps now, or could we post maps that we've already made, or use parts of maps we've already made?

Do we have to start making the maps now, or could we post maps that we've already made, or use parts of maps we've already made?

The map has to be made for the contest. The content may be already existing (for example the Kiat used his timeline as the setting for one of his entries) but the map must be original for the contest.

Question for the current entry.

Does the map have to show a Dystopia at its height/when the events were happening, or can it show the future, when things are stilly Dystopic, but getting better, following a very Dystopic event in the past?

Krall

Banned
Question for the current entry.

Does the map have to show a Dystopia at its height/when the events were happening, or can it show the future, when things are stilly Dystopic, but getting better, following a very Dystopic event in the past?

I suppose there's no reason why the map has to show a dystopia at its height. Provided your map still depicts a dystopia it should be absolutely fine.

So a few more days and MOF 26 will be upon us. Lets open the flood gates! Get some suggestions going!

The ideas that I like at the moment are:

Africa: Create a map showing at least one powerful African state that has influence outside of the continent. Preferably not a Mediterranean based nation, but that can be allowed. No fixed POD.

Alternate colonization powers as it says on the tin: powers that did not get a chance to colonize for whatever reason (including not existing).

The alternate spread of a religion

Hm, stealing and combining those first two ideas: Reverse Africa and Europe's situations by having powerful native African states colonize "Darkest Europe."

The Puppet Masters: Create a map showing a powerful conspiracy. It can be a well-known conspiracy theory or one you make up. The map could depict hidden underground cities of lizard people, future sits of UN mind controls towers, or anything else conspiracy-related. ASB allowed/encouraged. (Full disclosure: I have suggested this topic before)

An Enemy Without Boundaries: Create a map depicting a transnational threat which isn't a traditional state. It could be a drug cartel, a mafia, a terrorist group, a destructive cult, or anything similar.

The Ministry of Truth: Create two maps: one showing what the citizens of a 1984-style totalitarian state think the world looks like (i.e. what their government tells them it looks like), and one showing what it actually looks like.

The Puppet Masters: Create a map showing a powerful conspiracy. It can be a well-known conspiracy theory or one you make up. The map could depict hidden underground cities of lizard people, future sits of UN mind controls towers, or anything else conspiracy-related. ASB allowed/encouraged. (Full disclosure: I have suggested this topic before)

The Ministry of Truth: Create two maps: one showing what the citizens of a 1984-style totalitarian state think the world looks like (i.e. what their government tells them it looks like), and one showing what it actually looks like.

I really like these two :D. Reminds me of a short story I wrote, actually.

Nations don't die, they just fade way: A play on the MacArthur quote, show a region that was once ruled by a powerful nation that now no longer exists or is just a rump state. May be either just a straight up political map or show the regression of the nation's borders, step by step.

Some ideas:

Gott Mit Uns! Jesu-Maria!: Europe after a alternate Thirty Years' War. The POD has to be after the beginning of the war, but after that, anything can happen. The map itself can be set up to 50 years after the alt-TYW is over.

To New Lands!: An alternate Migration period. Ethnic groups in odd places is encouraged. Map can be set any time after the Migration period.

Gold!: A map showing the aftermath and/or effects of a gold rush in a region, or a rush for a similarly valuable resource. Before and after maps are possible.

Dystopia in the Sea of Time: current-day North Korea is sent back in time to 1910. Show effects, either short-term or long-term.

A Premature Birth: Scenarios for independent Ukraine, Poland, Syria, USA, etc. or the formation of a Yugoslavia or an Israel or any other "created" nation of OTL at least 50 years earlier than OTL.

Implausible Colonizers: the Polish colonial Empire. The Greek (Christian) Colonial Empire. The Mexican colonial Empire. The Scottish Colonial Empire. The Tibetan colonial Empire. The...

Islamic, or mostly Islamic, Europe.

Happy Shiny Alternate Africa.

Those Wierdoes Upstairs, or Canada Bizzare: given post-1600 PODs, give the US (not necessarily ours, but an English-speaking superpower centered north of Mexico) the oddest/most different/most troublesome northern neighbor you can.

Fantasy Fan: draw a map of your favorite fantasy setting - or, an alternate history version of the same...

Bruce

Dystopia in the Sea of Time: current-day North Korea is sent back in time to 1910. Show effects, either short-term or long-term.

A Premature Birth: Scenarios for independent Ukraine, Poland, Syria, USA, etc. or the formation of a Yugoslavia or an Israel or any other "created" nation of OTL at least 50 years earlier than OTL.

Implausible Colonizers: the Polish colonial Empire. The Greek (Christian) Colonial Empire. The Mexican colonial Empire. The Scottish Colonial Empire. The Tibetan colonial Empire. The...

Islamic, or mostly Islamic, Europe.

Happy Shiny Alternate Africa.

Those Wierdoes Upstairs, or Canada Bizzare: given post-1600 PODs, give the US (not necessarily ours, but an English-speaking superpower centered north of Mexico) the oddest/most different/most troublesome northern neighbor you can.

Fantasy Fan: draw a map of your favorite fantasy setting - or, an alternate history version of the same...

Bruce

Damn, those are good, some I might just make a map out of for fun, as they're just too good to pass up.

An Enemy Without Boundaries: Create a map depicting a transnational threat which isn't a traditional state. It could be a drug cartel, a mafia, a terrorist group, a destructive cult, or anything similar.

Both of these are good, but I especially love the second.

Not sure about this for a MotF challenge, seems limited, but I might work on something like that for the lulz.

These are awesome.
Bruce[/QUOTE]

I like these as well, particularly as they should all yield some interesting styles in the maps. The Puppet Masters might be good, considering we haven't had an ASB challenge for awhile.

[/B]Not sure about this for a MotF challenge, seems limited, but I might work on something like that for the lulz.

That's what I was thinking, though perhaps it could be either;

Show the world in the modern day after a Modern OTL is ISOT'd back to a specific date, or, perhaps more interestignly, show the modern day
(or some other specific year) after an ATL nation is ISOT'd into OTL History.

I like most of these.

Here is my suggestion:
East is West, West is East
Make a map in which Asia and Europe switch places in history (i. e. Asia regards itself as the 'center of civilisation' and starts to spread their ideas and themselves to other parts of the world, while Europe is dominated by two native empires and Asian colonies).

I'm not sure whether this has been suggested before, but I still like it.