Cauldron: European War in the 1990s

Has anyone here read Cauldron by Larry Bond? I'm rereading it right now, and, although it's not a straight alternate history novel, I think the book presents a good scenario for creating a European War in the 1990s. What do you think about the scenario?

it was written as a possible future technothriller, but it qualifies as AH now. The big POD is that instead of the boom economies we had in the 90's, the world was stymied by a massive trade war, lots of protective tarriffs, etc. Thus, the whole world was in a depression due to lack of overseas trade. I always wondered just how the world would have gotten to that point....

CAULDRON

Yeah I read it when it 1st came out- interesting although IMHO a little farfetched with the total dissolution of NATO and the US and Britain actually waging military conflict with France and Germany. Does qualify as AH now.

Melvin Loh said:
Yeah I read it when it 1st came out- interesting although IMHO a little farfetched with the total dissolution of NATO and the US and Britain actually waging military conflict with France and Germany. Does qualify as AH now.

In the context of the book it made sense though.

this is off-topic i apoligize but it's something i always wonder about..do you think there will EVER be another war b/w the "great nations" of europe or the US and the great nations. by ever i mean in our lifetimes. i think the eu could do 2 thingss 1) incite nationalist feelings in some countries 2) create a rivarly b/w US and EU maybe leading to war??? what doyou think

it's hard to imagine a war between two of the western democracies anytime soon.... I'd think that any future war would be far in the future and take decades to come about.. assuming some fanatic dictator doesn't take control of one of them. If you want a war between major powers in our lifetime, I think you'd have to imagine a scenario with China squaring off against either the US or EU.. or both.