Eisenhower a Communist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone keeps saying that Eisenhower was a Communist. I have evidence that could prove that, but let's put discuss it right now. Suppose he left the Republican Party and ran for President as a Communist. Pretend he won. What reforms would a Communist have made to the US?

Everyone keeps saying that Eisenhower was a Communist. I have evidence that could prove that, but let's put discuss it right now. Suppose he left the Republican Party and ran for President as a Communist. Pretend he won. What reforms would a Communist have made to the US?

If your "evidence" is Welch's ranting in the "The Politician", he was kookier than McCarthy. Welch called Eisenhower a "Communist agent", and even taking him at face value I have difficulty seeing such an agent becoming an overt standard bearer of the Party.

That said, let's take him at Welch's word that he's such an agent. Let him choose to go his own way in 1952, eschewing either political party. I really can't see him pulling a Putin and setting up a party centered wholly around his own personality, so let him be a supposedly-independent politician running for himself. Let's have him get elected, kicking both Stevenson's and Taft's butts.

Major PoD's that come to mind are Korea, McCarthy, Indochina, and Cuba. I'm not going to touch Commie-Eisenhower's original policy changes, anymore than I would those of Robot Hitler.

I'm still trying to recall anything that was remotly communist by Eisenhower :confused: I mean he was really was one Mccarthy would probably end up lost in Alaska or something

He ran the occupation of Germany fairly brutally as Governor of Europe. I don't know if there's anything in his presidential policies to indicate it, though.

Major PoD's that come to mind are Korea, McCarthy, Indochina, and Cuba. I'm not going to touch Commie-Eisenhower's original policy changes, anymore than I would those of Robot Hitler.

ROBOTS - ARE - THE - TRUE - MASTER - RACE! WE - MUST - PURGE - THE - CYBER - JEWS. SEIG - HEIL!

Fairly brutally? Last I remembered, the Morgenthau Plan wasn't even implemented.

Even?! That plan, come to full fruition, would have been a genocide matching the Holocaust proper!

You also have JCS 1067, the treatment of POWs, the refusal to let in humanitarian aid...

Even?! That plan, come to full fruition, would have been a genocide matching the Holocaust proper!

You also have JCS 1067, the treatment of POWs, the refusal to let in humanitarian aid...

... is nothing compared to what the Soviets were doing to Eastern Europe at the time. Two years later, the Western Allies ditched 1067 in favor of the Marshall Plan while the east was still being brutalized by Stalin's thugs. Your point?

Eisenhower was a Communist?

Everybody keeps saying he was? Apart from the John Birch Society and maybe the KKK I wasn't aware that anyone was.

Anyway to avoid conspiracy theories lets take the scenario forward. I would have though you would have to take the divergence point way back. Let's see the conspirators of the thirties succeed and Rossevlet is neutralised or deposed. The New Deal is abandoned and unemployment rises with little relief. The isolationists have the upper hand so there is no massive rearmament programme to provide work Law and order breaks out.The farmer labour party grows becoming what is was in the forties. Eisenhower plays an increasing role in keeping order whe it breaks down and runs with Henry Wallace as Vice President or he siezes power in a coup maybe 1940 or the FL ticket in 44 or 48.

He would however be unlikely to win as a Communist and all the above taks place before he joined the Republicans, he was apptroached by the Democrats. Lets suppose by some fluke he wins as a Communist in the cold war atmosphere of the fifties. He would have much of congress against him, most state governors, the service Chiefs unless you believe the Mcarthyite one about General Marshall being a Communist and J Edgar Hoover. Maybe General Mcarthur would launch a coup.

A more credible one which I read in a counterfactual scenario was of Joe Mcarthur as a Communist

... is nothing compared to what the Soviets were doing to Eastern Europe at the time. Two years later, the Western Allies ditched 1067 in favor of the Marshall Plan while the east was still being brutalized by Stalin's thugs. Your point?

The Soviets are not exactly the guys you want to compare yourselves to if you claim to be a humanitarian...:rolleyes: Susano pretty much covered my other points before I got back. I am being kind, and assuming that you don't know too much about the Morgenthau Plan. Read up on it; it's kind of scary...

The Soviets are not exactly the guys you want to compare yourselves to if you claim to be a humanitarian...:rolleyes: Susano pretty much covered my other points before I got back. I am being kind, and assuming that you don't know too much about the Morgenthau Plan. Read up on it; it's kind of scary...

Alright, point taken.

If your "evidence" is Welch's ranting in the "The Politician", he was kookier than McCarthy. Welch called Eisenhower a "Communist agent", and even taking him at face value I have difficulty seeing such an agent becoming an overt standard bearer of the Party.

That said, let's take him at Welch's word that he's such an agent. Let him choose to go his own way in 1952, eschewing either political party. I really can't see him pulling a Putin and setting up a party centered wholly around his own personality, so let him be a supposedly-independent politician running for himself. Let's have him get elected, kicking both Stevenson's and Taft's butts.

Actually, I have in my possession a very provocative signed letter from Nikita Kruschev to Dwight Eisenhower.

Status
Not open for further replies.