Could Nintendo's R.O.B have been a serious peripheral?

A little history lesson here, first.

Way back in 1984, Nintendo was crafting plans to capture the videogame market in North America, after the Great Crash of 1983 had taken out much of America's gaming industry. They planned to do this with their Famicom, already a mega-hit in Japan, and with a series of games that would absolutely blow anything on the old Atari 2600 out of the water.

There was a problem. Nobody in America, at least nobody who was an adult, actually wanted videogames anymore, because of said Crash. To them, videogames were just overpriced shovelware that grabbed your money before you realized just how bad the game was. Even those who saw greatness in the Famicom knew that it wouldn't sell as a games console.

Then Nintendo found a sneaky trick. They won't sell a 'games console'. They'll sell a toy, an 'Entertainment System'.

Enter R.O.B. One of the most advertized elements of the Famicom (renamed the "NES" and redressed to look vaguely like a video cassette player) was a one-foot-tall toy robot, the Robotic Operating Buddy. Using words like 'fun', 'video' and, extremely rarely, 'game', Nintendo promised that R.O.B could be played with by children as the next generation of electronic toys.

He was extremely slow, could barely interact with his own sub-peripherals, and had a grand total of two games, neither of them particularly good even if played with a second human player. Truly, he was one of Nintendos most godawful pieces of hardware, matched only possibly by the Virtual Boy.

But that didn't matter mucy, as his actual purpose was to be Nintendos Trojan Horse. What he did do was get NESs into peoples homes, allowing Nintendo to then sell America their games. Retailers and potential customers could look at the NES and say 'Hey, isn't this a game console, like that Atari/Intellivision/Colecovision thing that imploded two years ago?' and Nintendo could say 'Uh, nope, it's a toy. Look, it has a little robot, how could it not be?'. By the time parents found out R.O.B ripped them off, their kids were pleading them for more money to buy Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

It was a beautiful moment in the history of business where not only did the company know what the customer wanted, they lied through their teeth in order to sell him it, because he sure as Hell hadn't a clue what he wanted.

That all said, was there potential in R.O.B himself to actually be a proper add-on to the NES, like the Zapper? If he was made a little less cheaply, a little more care was given to his compatible games, he wasn't abandoned so quickly after Nintendo takes root? Basically, could one of gamings biggest and earliest scrappys have been saved from the scrappy-heap?

It Exist, is called amiibo, the problem is that, the tech necessary was not ready till decades later

No, because it was never meant to be.

It was what it was: A marketing gimmick meant to give the NES the appearance of a toy, rather than a game console. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it was designed to be a serious peripheral, Nintendo would have made more than 2 games for it, that's the first clue.

There were more interesting possibilities, like the Famicom 3D (Square's Rad Racer was actually released in the NA market, but the 3D system never made it out of Japan.), the Famicom Data Recorder, Famicom Disk System or Turbo File storage systems would be more intriguing possibilities.

I always thought the Disk System was the most innovative concept, but it apparently had some technical flaws (that probably could have been easily solved with a little work and shuttered disks) and the Disk System games were notorious targets for software pirates in Hong Kong.

It also ran on batteries, rather than a plug in power source, which wasn't a very good idea; a disk drive that could die on you in the middle of an operation due to dead batteries is a bad idea defined.

The genuine concern of software piracy was understandable, but it didn't need to kill the Disk System as a viable (and highly desirable) peripheral for the NES. What Nintendo could have done was put the games on cartridges, but provide the Disk System (with an external power source) for saving game data to blank 3.5" disks. (Or, perhaps even better, build their own modified Twin Famicom as a 'Deluxe NES'.)

While this wouldn't have made much difference with games like Zelda, Link, Metroid or Kid Icarus, et al..., it would have made a big difference in the popularity of games like Excite Bike, Wrecking Crew, Mach Rider and other games from the 'Programmable Series'; games that had construction sets built into the game, but, as Nintendo never released a storage peripheral to fully realize the potential of these games, the construction sets were reduced to a meaningless feature, where they had potential to be so much more.

Then there's some of the more complex CRPGs of the era that really could have used a save disk system.

Hell, sports games could have been expanded with options like league play, create a player or player trades, to say nothing for saved stats.

Battery backup carts made the Disk System (as it was) somewhat unnecessary, but with a little more care and thought put into design and implementation, the Disk System was the one that could have had a major impact had it been introduced to the global market, with the suggested improvements.

No, because it was never meant to be.

It was what it was: A marketing gimmick meant to give the NES the appearance of a toy, rather than a game console. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it was designed to be a serious peripheral, Nintendo would have made more than 2 games for it, that's the first clue.

I am glad you went through the bother of reading my post, specifically the parts where I laid out exactly what R.O.B was IOTL, and where I asked "What if, in this alternate universe, Nintendo actually did take it seriously?"

I apologize for being rude, you had constructive, useful things to say in your post, but the beginning is just a little too 'It didn't happen in our timeline, so it would never happen in any timeline.', which flies in the face of tne very concept of alternate history.

I am glad you went through the bother of reading my post, specifically the parts where I laid out exactly what R.O.B was IOTL, and where I asked "What if, in this alternate universe, Nintendo actually did take it seriously?"

I apologize for being rude, you had constructive, useful things to say in your post, but the beginning is just a little too 'It didn't happen in our timeline, so it would never happen in any timeline.', which flies in the face of tne very concept of alternate history.

Okay, no, because for ROB to actually do what it was supposed to do, the NES would have to be a workstation computer- a high end workstation at that -just to control the damn thing; both hardware and software.

Put bluntly: Viable ROB is ASB.

Okay, no, because for ROB to actually do what it was supposed to do, the NES would have to be a workstation computer- a high end workstation at that -just to control the damn thing; both hardware and software.

Put bluntly: Viable ROB is ASB.

Just as say before, we've a new ROB is called Amiibo and still is pretty simple becuause price.