Wolves of the Steppe: A History of the Gothic State and their World

Hi AHers,

This TL is focused on the development of a Gothic state (Guttstadt) in the Pontic Steppe and Dacia. The PoD is approx. 360 AD, so that is where this TL will properly begin. Although this timeline will be oriented around the Goths, it will also feature in-depth examinations of other parts of the world.

I will reveal, however, that this time period of history is not my specialty. Whilst I have been doing a lot of research on this time period, I would appreciate anyone pointing out any inaccuracies (which would be a result of oversight, not intentional handwavium)!

Prologue: The Scourges of God

Mundzuk* smelt all the scents of conquest. Embers, ash, burning flesh, burning hair. They were ugly smells, but complemented well the sounds. The screams of women, the wailing of children, the satisfied grunts of Hunnic soldiers, their songs as they gorged themselves on wine and produce sacked from the burning city. The town of Phasis, like so many others in Colchis, had barely taken up arms against his soldiers. They thought they would be given mercy for their surrender. Instead he punished them for their cowardice. Their women would be taken, not as wives, but as slaves. The strong of their sons would be taken to serve as footsoldiers, the weak killed. The men themselves had already been dealt with. Few things made Mundzuk happier than the sense of invincibility which came from victory. But Phasis was not the end of this campaign. He would overwinter not far from here, but come the thaw of Spring and his armies would turn their attention to a far fatter prize, the Kingdom of Armenia.

The Hunnic campaigns of 358-361 ravaged the Caucasus region. In 358 the Huns swept South-West to conquer the Maeotes, Iberia, Albania and Lazica in a series of lightning campaigns. Armenia in 359 was a significantly harder nut to crack. The cavalry of the Armenians was known for being amongst the region's best. Nevertheless, the Huns, under their legendary Khagan Mundzuk, took control of the kingdom, valley by valley. Despite the Armenian Arqa (King) Arshak II's pleas for assistance from the Eastern Roman Empire, help was not forthcoming. Given Arshak's consistent support for the Eastern Roman Empire, it is believed that this was due to the overstretch of Roman forces defending against Sassanian Shahanshah Shapur II's offensives in Mesopotamia. Concerned at the potential of rebellion from disloyal nobles, Arshak II sought a decisive victory against the invading Huns. At the Battle of Vagharshapat, Arshak II's hopes were dashed, as the Hunnic invaders drew the heavy cavalry of the Armenians into ambushes, slaughtering them with a rain of arrows and a forest of spearpoints. In the aftermath of Vagharshapat, the Huns captured and burnt the Armenian capital Arshakavan, which had been built on the orders of the King himself. Arshak fled to Constantinople and organised Armenian resistance collapsed. The remaining nobility put up some fights in their local areas, which sapped Hunnic strength but failed to halt the advance of the steppe hordes.

The reign of the Huns in Armenia was notable for a relatively short period of exclusive Hunnic dominance of government and military affairs. Whilst the first generation lived as conquerors and displacing nobles at the top of the social ladder, the second generation (most of whom had Armenian mothers) became assimilated quite rapidly into Armenian society. The third generation saw widespread inclusion of native Armenians into the state bureaucracy, facilitating the resurgence of Christianity in the upper classes.

Hunnen.jpg

Hunnic forces in combat with Armenian forces (a later artist's impression)

===

*Mundzuk is a fictional king I have made up. The reason for this is that there is no reliable source as to who was King of the Huns at this time. Mundzuk is essentially a placeholder name for whatever Hunnic king/chieftain reigned at the time.

The PoD here is the Hunnic invasion of the Caucasus, instead of the Gothic territories. The Hunnic attack on the Goths was the primary reason for their migration into the territories of the Roman Empire, therefore for the sake of this TL it is important to butterfly.

Last edited:
The reason for this is that there is no reliable source as to who was King of the Huns
For the sake of authenticity I would use a title of Khaan, Khan or better Khagan instead of 'King' when speaking about the Huns who were most probably using the Altaic language (proto-Turkic or/and proto-Mongolian).

For the sake of authenticity I would use a title of Khaan, Khan or better Khagan instead of 'King' when speaking about the Huns who were most probably using the Altaic language (proto-Turkic or/and proto-Mongolian).

Will do. I actually was aware of that, but was deciding whether to use native titles or not. But I will change it to do so, since the native titles are so much more interesting.

Little nitpick-there was no actual ruler of any unified Hunnic entity until Rua. I'm guessing Mundzuk is one of many Hunnic chieftans?

Little nitpick-there was no actual ruler of any unified Hunnic entity until Rua. I'm guessing Mundzuk is one of many Hunnic chieftains?

Yes. Obviously ethnicities/national-tribal identities in this era, and particularly in this region, were quite porous. The reference of Mundzuk as a Hunnic 'king' is supposed to be an anachronism. ITTL, Mundzuk is the most influential Hunnic chieftain, and despite nominal equality with other chieftains, performs as somewhat of a 'high chief'. Nevertheless, there are a number of Hunnic tribes that aren't under his authority, but which never achieve prominence and are absorbed into other groups on the steppe. Keep in mind that Mundzuk is supposed to be a semi-legendary figure.

Yes. Obviously ethnicities/national-tribal identities in this era, and particularly in this region, were quite porous. The reference of Mundzuk as a Hunnic 'king' is supposed to be an anachronism. ITTL, Mundzuk is the most influential Hunnic chieftain, and despite nominal equality with other chieftains, performs as somewhat of a 'high chief'. Nevertheless, there are a number of Hunnic tribes that aren't under his authority, but which never achieve prominence and are absorbed into other groups on the steppe. Keep in mind that Mundzuk is supposed to be a semi-legendary figure.
Well, nothing wrong if in this alternate TL Mundzuk would be proclaimed a (universal) Khagan by his jubilant supporters on the smoking ruins of the Armenian capital.

Ah okay, that make sense. Please continue, this timeline has a lot of potential.

Part 1: The Wolves and their Shepherd

"jah uswaurpun imma ut" And they cast him out (John 9:34)

"jah gastop aftra sa handus is" And his hand was restored (Mark 3:5)

The introduction of Christianity into Gothic society was rapid (compared to the other Germanic tribes), but not without opposition. In the mid-fourth century, the Goths were divided into two main groups: the Thervings on the Western side of the Danapris [1] and the Greuthings on the Eastern side.

The Greuthungs were lead by the great Thiudans Airmanareiks [2]. Airmanareiks was known as a warlike leader, who repelled a number of incursions by Alan tribes. Although famed in folklore and media as a hero of resistance against steppe tribes, this reputation has come under increased scrutiny from modern historians. Archaeological evidence (primarily burial mounds) now suggest that some Alans were incorporated into Greuthung society and assimilated. Instead of insisting upon historical accuracy, many filmmakers have instead utilised the image of the legendary Thiudans as political propaganda and to denigrate the peoples to the East. The Greuthungs were converted to Arian Christianity later than the Thervings, after the death of Airmanareiks.

Due perhaps to their greater proximity to the Roman Empire, the Thervings were unsurprisingly the first to seriously flirt with Christianity. Wulfila, a Gothic bishop and missionary. Although many historians have pointed out that Wulfila's parents were Cappadocian slaves, the fact that his name means 'Little Wolf' in Gothic and that he was known by a corrupted form of that name to the Romans suggests that he was born into Gothic society and identified as a Goth. During the 340s, Wulfila proselytised amongst the Goths, but fled to Moesia in 348 to escape the persecution of Christians by the Thervingi Thiudans Aoreiks. Aoreik's son Athanareiks was also vehemently opposed to Christianity, believing that the adoption of the faith would lead to the destruction of Gothic culture. He led another, more serious round of persecutions between 367 and 378. This persecution was marked by a number of atrocities, the most well-known of which was the immolation of 26 martyrs in Taurica [3] on the order of the Chieftain Wingureiks in 375. Internally, the persecution of Christians was opposed by a faction headed by the Arian Frithugairns [4], who battled against Athanareiks. Despite Frithugairn's efforts, Athanareiks initially got the upper-hand in the war, although this changed when Frithugairn acquired the assistance of the Eastern Emperor Valens, a fellow Arian who intervened with troops and treasure on the side of Frithugairn. Whilst the war dragged on inconclusive for years, the accidental death of Athanareiks after he was pinned underneath his horse in a skirmish. None of the surviving manuscripts specify where Athanareiks was killed, although historians are almost certain it was somewhere in the Harvatha [5].

With the defeat of the pagan faction in the Thervingi Civil War, the Christian community of the Thervingi flourished. The bishop Wulfilas devised the Gothic alphabet as a means of putting into writing the tongue of the Gutthiuda[6]. Around 380 (he died in 383), Wulfila completed his translation of the Bible into Gothic, which did much to further the cause of Christianity within the Gothic lands, as well as promoting its adoption amongst many of the Gruthing nobility to the East of the Danapris. Notables which adopted these teachings included harjatuga[7] Alatheus and Saphrax, an Alan by birth who was assimilated, with the rest of his tribe, into the Greuthungs. Vithimiris, who succeeded Airmanareiks, wasn't a Christian himself, but was tolerant of the Christian faith within his lands. He tasked himself merely with the maintenance of order and a balance of the interests of the pagan and Christian communities. Vithimireiks' reign only lasted a few years, dying in battle against Alan tribesmen. His son, Viderieks, was only a child upon his father's death, so the running of the tribe was done so primarily by Alatheus and Saphrax. Their influence led Viderieks to adopt Arian Christianity as the official religion of the Greuthungs. This necessarily involved the destruction of a number of pagan idols, but this loss of heritage resulted in the eventual establishment of a thriving and civilised kingdom. For many, the Christianisation of the Goths marks the beginning of the transition from tribal confederacy to nation.

ulfilas_2.jpg

Wulfila explains the gospel to Gothic chieftains

===

[1]Dnieper.
[2]King Ermanaric. 'Airmanareiks' appears to be a combination of an East Germanic form of the name 'Herman' and a Germanisation of the Latin 'rex'. Nevertheless, I decided to keep the whole name here, especially given that at least some of the Goths' very early history would only be accessible to them from Roman sources. Also, 'Thiudans' means 'leader of the people' (roughly) and assists in the characterisation of Gothic leaders of this period as closer to tribal chiefs than kings of centralised kingdoms.
[3]The Crimea.
[4]Fritigern.
[5]Carpathians.
[6]Gothic people (equivalent to Goth-volk)
[7]General/Military Leader

Last edited:
I am following this with much interest! It should cause massive butterflies all over Europe, and the Middle East too, with a Pontic Gothic Kingdom and a Hunno-Armenian one.
Italy will be completely unrecognizable, maybe the ERE can hold the Peninsula for longer? Or even a surviving rump WRE?:eek:
Also big changes in the Iberian Peninsula, and Russia/Ukraine if the Gothic Kingdom stabilizes.

Keep up your great work!

I was hoping they might remain pagan longer, but as its said, this provided the impetus for them to fully unify into a coherent nation.

Oh and sorry about the earlier comment I made between the into and first update. I removed it so it wouldn't distract from the post on the POD.

I am following this with much interest! It should cause massive butterflies all over Europe, and the Middle East too, with a Pontic Gothic Kingdom and a Hunno-Armenian one.
Italy will be completely unrecognizable, maybe the ERE can hold the Peninsula for longer? Or even a surviving rump WRE?:eek:
Also big changes in the Iberian Peninsula, and Russia/Ukraine if the Gothic Kingdom stabilizes.

Keep up your great work!

Thank you! Of course the Gothic kingdom isn't quite in existence yet, with the Gruthings and Thervings remained politically-separate, if culturally and religiously akin.

The Hunno-Armenian kingdom may be somewhat less significant than may be expected, but it will definitely have an influence on the developments in the Middle East.

Definitely these events will affect the Roman Empires greatly. Without the Goths, Rome is in some ways both stronger and weaker. It will have to be seen what is to be the fate of the twin empires.

Also, there will be future posts outlining happenings over most of Eurasia, so no need to contain your enthusiasm to Europe :)

I was hoping they might remain pagan longer, but as its said, this provided the impetus for them to fully unify into a coherent nation.

Oh and sorry about the earlier comment I made between the into and first update. I removed it so it wouldn't distract from the post on the POD.

Oh you didn't have to worry about the earlier comment, all compliments are welcome!

Historically, the Thervings at least didn't take much longer to Christianise, given their entry into the territories of the Roman Empire. To be honest, I saw it as far more interesting to see the Goths maintain the Arian 'heresy' than their pagan beliefs (since from what we know of them, they were virtually identical to the Norse myths everyone already knows in any meaningful sense).

Arrian State

Besides the butterflies that affect the future of ERE and Persians accordingly since they are closely intertwined with each other.

The Mesopotamian border and Armenia, in particular, was disputed by both empires and the legions that are not lost in the Danube frontier will be available in Asia.

As for the Goths will be interesting to see how a strong State Arrian, outside the Roman borders, influences the fate of that stream of Christianity, which was majority OTL, amongst Christians Germans.

Sounds interesting! I've always found the period of the late Roman Empire with all the eastern migrations to be a fascinating time.

Deleted member 67076

Got my eye on this one. Really unique premise and one that's bound to alter the entire migration period.

Besides the butterflies that affect the future of ERE and Persians accordingly since they are closely intertwined with each other.

The Mesopotamian border and Armenia, in particular, was disputed by both empires and the legions that are not lost in the Danube frontier will be available in Asia.

As for the Goths will be interesting to see how a strong State Arrian, outside the Roman borders, influences the fate of that stream of Christianity, which was majority OTL, amongst Christians Germans.

The Arian Christianity part is definitely one of the more intriguing things about this divergence. I'm just as excited as you are! Can't speak too much on the Middle East situation, given that it will be the topic of an update fairly soon!

Got my eye on this one. Really unique premise and one that's bound to alter the entire migration period.

THE PRESSURE!!! But seriously Sov, it's great to have someone of your caliber (and notoriety) amongst the readers.

A fellow Gothic writer! I will follow this with interest; best of luck to you! Arnheim will be strong!

Thanks Dan! I've had a glance at your TL and it seems great. I'll definitely have to catch up with it ASAP! :)

The Arian confession - if I'm allowed such an expression - outside of reach of the Holy Mother Church will be quite interesting to follow.
Just this will change so much and I'm quite interested to see if there'd be a Christmas Night 406 crossing of the Rhine ITTL. Which I guess there might but not on the OTL scale.
If you keep the Goths in Ukraine and Eastern Europe mainly that will make for huge changes in the West.
As those who had left the old lands at times apparently made it there for whatever reason and back again ITTL Arianism may acquire some more following than OTL so perhaps early Arian Scandinavia?! :p

a

[1]Dnieper.
[2]King Ermanaric. 'Airmanareiks' appears to be a combination of an East Germanic form of the name 'Herman' and a Germanisation of the Latin 'rex'. Nevertheless, I decided to keep the whole name here, especially given that at least some of the Goths' very early history would only be accessible to them from Roman sources. Also, 'Thiudans' means 'leader of the people' (roughly) and assists in the characterisation of Gothic leaders of this period as closer to tribal chiefs than kings of centralised kingdoms.
[3]The Crimea.
[4]Fritigern.
[5]Carpathians.
[6]Gothic people (equivalent to Goth-volk)
[7]General/Military Leader

So, small nitpick about the second footnote. -Ric was not a Germanic adoption of Roman Rex, but is related to the modern day Reich or Rice. Ric and Rex may be cognates, having the same ancestor, but they branched off well before Latin could have any influence on tje Germanic languages.

That being said, really looking forward to this one. It will be interesting to see an Eastern Germanic, Eastern Europe :). I wonder, if the Hind get their nose bloodied, if they will turn their attention towards Persia and the Middle East.l