TL: The Imperial Evolution (a stronger Commonwealth)

Devvy

Donor
This is a TL I've had on a backburner and side project for a while; how can the British Empire survive...

Obviously not as an Empire. But by embracing Imperial Preference schemes, and the evolution then into a Commonwealth. Although I've kept the year summaries semi-brief, and only really about the evolving Commonwealth, I'm planning to do take a closer look at things in snapshots as we go.

PS: I'm not someone who likes to write about war....so this will probably rather glaze over those parts, and focus on the more interesting ideas - as I see it! :)

com-flag-sm.jpg

The Commonwealth Flag.

Give me a good, stable, culturally alive Dominion of Newfoundland in this, or at the very least overseas territory of Newfoundland, and you've got me hooked. Whats the POD? (Also hahaha England got booted out of the flag)

Devvy

Donor
Give me a good, stable, culturally alive Dominion of Newfoundland in this, or at the very least overseas territory of Newfoundland, and you've got me hooked. Whats the POD? (Also hahaha England got booted out of the flag)

Yep - despite being an Englishman, the vertical/horizontal stripes just looked stupid when I tried some designs. That flag was, I thought, the best looking flag I could produce that's inspired by the Union Jack without being obviously British. :)

abc123

Banned
Yep - despite being an Englishman, the vertical/horizontal stripes just looked stupid when I tried some designs. That flag was, I thought, the best looking flag I could produce that's inspired by the Union Jack without being obviously British. :)

I thught that the whole point of closer Commonwealth was to be British.
:D

Devvy

Donor
1914: The Great War. German forces swiftly attack France via Belgium, according to the German Schlieffen Planm causing damage to Belgium but largely driving straight through and then sweeping into France. German forces win many key battles against Allied forces, with the UK and France continually being forced to retreat, and then retreat again.

Paris is occupied quickly by the advancing German forces, with German officials hoping that it will force France to surrender and quit the war; thereby leaving Germany to focus on the Russian front. However, the French refuse to surrender and the French war government is forced to relocate itself to Vichy, further south then Paris, in the centre of the country, and away from German lines. From Vichy, the French Army continues to put up a token resistance to the German forces. Thousands of civilians flee Paris however, in the face of the German military forces. Having dealt a massive blow to French forces, and their ability to invade Germany, German forces take their foot off the pedal.

The MP for Southampton, William Dudley Ward, dies in an accident during a Naval Reserves Exercise.

1915: The Germans attempt to fortify the front in France, without bothering to advance further west; their only objective in France is to kill any French ability to strike at the German border.

With France crippled, Germany heads east, and wins several early battles against Russia, before ploughing deeper into Russia and meeting stiffer Russian resistance in battles.

Austria-Hungary struggles against Serbia however, as a plucky defence repels many Austro-Hungarian attacks, in what has become known as the "Serbian Defence". Assisted at all costs by the British, the Serbs perform admirably, tacticly retreating where necessary, but staying in the war.

Early in 1915, the Germans attempt to force a peace with the unwilling UK, which will force peace with France by unrestrained submarine warfare against shipping in to the UK in an attempt to blockade them. However, 3 incidents of US merchant ships being torpedoed unannounced within two weeks of each other (and the subsequent deaths of many American citizens), vastly shifts opinion in the US with many now pushing for war against the Central Powers. Woodrow Wilson manages to declare war, the bill passing in Congress, although not without significant disquiet from nay-sayers, advocating that European affairs are best left to...the Europeans. With that said, by the end of the year, US soldiers are crossing the Atlantic to the UK, endeavouring to avoid German submarines.

The German High Seas Fleet also attempts a risky manoeuvre in the North Sea against the British Home Fleet in an attempt to turn up the heat against the UK and force the UK to come to terms before the US can really get involved in Europe. However, it backfires massively, when in addition to causing large damage to the Royal Navy, the High Seas Fleet is annihilated.

In Ireland, political deadlock continues, and urgently requires a resolution however. The Irish Home Rule Bill is passed, but the Province of Ulster is temporarily excluded after the Belfast Crisis; the army is unable to mobilise to fight the Ulster dissenters with the Great War ensuing (and even if it could, there is significant disquiet from many officers about the prospect of shooting at people who wish to remain loyal to Britain), and civil war looks likely if Ulster is forced in.

Ireland (all of it) remains part of the UK, but with significant devolution for (Southern) Ireland, with most international affairs remaining at the UK Government - defence, international relations, citizenship, customs & excise, amongst some others.

By the end of the year, Italy enters the war on the Allied side, after promises by Britain of a share in the war spoils. A Protectorate in Albania, and Italian speaking areas in central Europe is on offer should the Allies win the war.

1916: In the Middle East, a British invasion force invades near Syria, catching Ottoman forces unaware, and effectively almost divides the Ottoman Empire in two, helping their Arab allies in the south. The Ottoman Empire suddenly looks very, very weak.

Austria-Hungary is knocked out of the war by a combination of Serbian and Allied forces, and surrenders with Allied troops establishing occupied bases in several crucial areas of the country -although Austrian soldiers repel Italian advances until the Allies are almost behind them. The collapse of the Austro-Hungarian war effort has profound implications for Germany however, forcing some German forces to be diverted to the German - Austro-Hungarian border to prevent troops from entering Germany.

The Allied forces begin to pound the German western front, and wreak havoc upon German armies there. German forces are captured in the west by an international combination of armies (spearheaded by Empire and US forces), in a pincer attack that strands German soldiers far from lines of supply and starves them out of food and ammunition with several weeks. Germany is forced to retreat or surrender, but destroys large parts of Paris during it's surrender. Germany also annihilates much of the industry in the north-east of France and Belgium during retreat, as well as much infrastructure to slow the Allied advance. However, with the path to Germany now open (even in bad state) and Allied forces inbound - slowly, but relentlessly, Germany surrenders.

The fighting in the east is equally destructive to both the Russians and Germans, but peace is forced by the end of the year, largely by the Western Allies forcing the German withdrawal. A power vacuum forms in western Russia where German troops have eventually withdrawn, spurring revolutionary activity which rises in Russia.

In the US, following public spirit wounded by the viciousness of the war and human cost on the battle lines, President Hughes leads to the US back into "Golden Isolation" as it is termed. US Foreign Policy is chiefly focussed upon the Monroe Doctrine and little extra as it turns inwards.

Following the end of the war (which occurs at very convenient timing for the UK), the UK enacts Home Rule for (Southern) Ireland. It is promised to review the situation in Northern Ireland in 10 years as the "Ulster Exclusion" is only temporary.

--------------------------------
Notes: War is not my strong point, so I've avoided ultra specifics here. I'm not above fixing mistakes, so be gentle! :)

But the crucial point is that World War 1 is much shorter; but France and Germany are still pounded by the war effort. The shortened version of the war allows the UK to retain many resources, it retains sovereignty over Ireland (albeit with significant devolution), and ends the war as the undisputed world superpower, especially with the US withdrawing from world affairs. With Wilson entering the war before election, Hughes just wins the US Presidential election.

Britain is in a better shape, and the men of the big Dominions haven't been squandered as badly.

Devvy

Donor
1917: The victorious parties to the Great War sit down to write a formal peace treaty. After the havoc inflicted upon northern France and Paris in particular, French politicians are baying for their bit of German blood and are eager to gain as many reparations for the damage as possible. The United Kingdom however, representing the British Empire, wants to keep Germany down, but not outright punish the nation, and is backed by the US President Hughes. While France also wishes to blame Germany directly for the war, such terminology is ignored.

In the end, Treaty of Versailles places large reparations upon Germany and Austria-Hungary, mostly payable to the UK and France. Several territorial adjustments are also made; much of Schleswig-Holstein is returned to Denmark, although the Danish Government insists it will hold a plebiscite in the territory to judge how much of it should be passed back to Germany. Denmark has not interest in being a subject of another war in 30 years time for Germany to "reclaim it's lands". A new Polish state is carved out of territories in the east, including many parts of Germany (and crucially including a "Polish Maritime Corridor" as well as special rights in the international city of Danzig), although some areas in East Prussia and Silesia which have a significant Polish demographics remain part of the German state. The new Polish state also gains Galicia from Austria-Hungary. Austria-Hungary manages to remain roughly intact, however Bosnia is transferred to a "Greater Serbia", which renames itself Yugoslavia, along with Vojvodina. The renaming of Serbia to Yugoslavia is controversial; it portrays an unwritten irredentist claim to Croatia, Slavonia & Slovenia which are also inhabited by Slavic peoples. The Hungarian side of the realm is equally punished; Transylvania is ceded to Romania in it's almost entirety. Italian-speaking Trentino is transferred to Italy, although South-Tirol is left with Austria after mass demonstrations by residents when news leaked about possible plans to transfer the region to Italy.

The big news however, was the ceding of Alsace-Lorraine back to France from who the German territory originated, and the demilitarisation of the German Rhineland (west bank of the Rhine). The Rhineland will remain fully demilitarised, and also temporarily form a special international state, in customs union with France, in order that France may get her economy running again with the Rhenish resources, although it would "eventually" be ceded back to Germany. It was termed "a German territory, under French administration". The point proves extremely controversial to begin with, but the sheer magnitude of French destruction at the hand of German forces gave French politicians the impetus to demand it, and several other French aims abroad were sacrificed to win this point.

In Russia, the country has toppled into civil war between nationalist and communist forces, which is largely responsible for no major Russian political figure attending the Treaty of Versailles talks. The destruction at the hands of the German forces has made the political establishment vulnerable, and Communist Soviet forces soon strike. The power vacuum in the western areas of Russia, where the German forces have withdrawn, allowed several new states to come into being; the combined Baltic Principality (often colloquially referred to as Livonia) declared independence, with Poland and Ukraine squabbling to swallow up other tracts of lands. With the downfall of the Russian Czar, the Finnish Parliament declares that they were in personal union with Russia during the Russian Imperial days; now that the Czardom has been deposed in Russia, Finland is free of it's obligations, with the Finnish Parliament declaring independence for the nation.

In the Middle East, the presence of British troops - now in much of the Levantine coastal areas meant that Hussein's goal of a new pan-Arabian state would come to fruition with little controversy - the Arabs had after all been valuable allies against the Ottoman Empire, although he later undertook to create 2 separate Kingdoms at British insistence. There would be the northern Kingdom of Syria, across much of the Levant, and the southern Kingdom of Hejaz along the Red Sea coast - encompassing the Muslim Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina. The two kingdoms would eventually pass to his two eldest sons, as two separate Hashemite nations.

The end of the Great War leaves the British in the best position however; France has been massively crippled by the German invasion and will take time to recover, Germany & Austria-Hungary will struggle with reparations. The outcome leaves the UK as undisputed masters of the high seas and with an enormous global empire after the seizures of German colonies. Kamerun is divided between the UK and France, with France retaining the majority of the former German territory. Togoland is passed to Belgium. The larger German colonies of German South-West Africa was annexed by British South Africa as Namibia, and German East Africa brought into the British Empire as Tanganyika, a new British colonial possession. German interests in the Far East and Pacific were largely absorbed by Japan, with Samoa going to New Zealand; New Guinea, Bismark Islands & Nauru were ceded to Australia.

Sounds rather like the Rule Britannia timeline that somebody (Agelastus?) did a few years back.

Devvy

Donor
Sounds rather like the Rule Britannia timeline that somebody (Agelastus?) did a few years back.

Yeah, I had a quick look at Anax's TL a while ago in brief when I was still reading stuff on this subject, although I didn't read too much detail of it as I didn't want to just blindly copy. There will be a lot of major differences though from the brief glances I had.

Inevitably, there are going to be similarities; both TLs are talking about the same kind of end-result, and World War I is the prime PoD for it. It's when the British stopped being the go to man for money as it had spend all the money on the war, the US came out of it's shell and took upon the role as world bank, and Vimy Ridge & Gallipoli gave us Canadian, Australian & New Zealand pride as themselves, not just Britain abroad.

EDIT: PS; a UK that can't keep the Irish within some kind of political arrangement seems unlikely to be able to keep the wider Empire in a political arrangement.

Last edited:

Devvy

Donor
pow.jpg

Edward, Prince of Wales, in Canada with Freda Dudley Ward.

1918-1925: As archives now show, Edward and Freda were a whirlwind romance; Edward, Prince of Wales, and Freda Dudley Ward, the widow of a former MP, got on very well after meeting in 1918. She referred to him as "Eddy" in private, and he called her "Freddy Weddy". The couple seemed at home together, and it must be down to Freda's early influences that Edward settled down, becoming more at home with his role as the Prince of Wales. Together, they embarked on several trips around the Empire, representing his father, King George V, and seemed to often enjoy their time in Canada. Edward became a faithful patron of Canadian ice hockey, and was an early favourite of the Canadian populace. His several trips to the front lines during the Great War also made him popular across veterans from across the Empire, but especially in the white Dominions. In 1922 they married, with the blessing of his father. By 1924, Freda was already pregnant with King George's grandchild, and in early 1925, the child was born; a new son, named William Andrew Charles Patrick.

However, it was not peacetime for all the world. In 1920, Ibn Saud invaded Hashemite Arabia, primarily to conquer Hejaz in order to legitimise his rule in southern areas of the Arabian peninsula. Things became awkward for the British Foreign Office; they were in effect backing both warring parties. After an impassioned plea for assistance from King Hussein of the Hashemites, Britain offered assistance and sold arms to the young nation. Ibn Saud broke relations and declared the British Protectorate over his lands null and void; the British didn't particularly care. The areas that Ibn Saud controlled were minor areas of Arabia and didn't conflict with them at all, and there were more pressing issues of the day. However, the assistance paid off - King Hussein would drive back the Saudi forces, firmly establishing his control over the lands, and later in 1924 would declare himself the new Muslim Caliph. Ibn Saud remained a threat from his Arabian lands further to the south however, and in light of Hussein's captured lands, he proposed the unification of his Kingdoms in to a single pan-Arabian state. Although such a large country went against the usual British approach of "divide and conquer", it seemed to offer stability, and a more organised defence against a Saudi state who held no favours to British interests. Hussein declared himself King of a united Kingdom of Arabia in 1925, in return becoming a British Protectorate. The Red Sea and Mediterranean coastlines offered further bases from which to secure shipping routes using the Suez Canal, and offered a land boundary to Kuwait, another British Protectorate.

In Ireland, continuing outright hostility to the notion of Irish Home Rule in Ulster continues to scupper plans to reunify Ireland. Privately, the British Government expresses sentiments to the Irish Government that "Ulster can not be forced", and that a political deal will be needed, although it has no opposition to Ireland being reunified if a peaceful deal can be reached. Despite this public setback, Irish Home Rule appears to be progress well in the 3 Irish Provinces.

-------------------------
Notes: I'm just kind of skipping over this section quickly; there's not too much point in repeating OTL history, and I want to stay focussed on the Empire/Commonwealth rather then writing about everything or else I'm going to get bogged down.

Devvy

Donor
1925-1930: In 1928, at the invitation of the British Government, the Simon Commission convened. It was a commission into the future of self government in India, with representatives from several of the Indian political groups. Muslim leaders would walk out however, when the Indian National Congress movement pushed for a more unitary federation (residual powers at the federal level), without safeguards for Muslim participation. The Muslim League, opposing it and favouring a residual powers at the provincial level, feared that it would lead to Muslims being sidelined in their own country. The conference ended with little results on a federal agreement, but recommended further responsible government at the provincial level of India, with the dyarchial Government remaining at the top level. and does not make any suggestions about the union with Burma (which remained in union).

Prince Edward & Princess Freda have a second son, named Albert George Frederick Henry.

Following the Great War, sagging rail traffic demand and financial constraints accompanies an economic downturn. The UK groups it's railways into several companies in order to make operations more efficient across the nation (including in both sections of Ireland), and large low-interest loans are offered to the companies to stimulate investment in modernisation. Most companies use this in order to further electrification, along the lines of the mutually agreed standard (1,500v DC via overhead line), with other companies converting their overhead systems to 1,500v DC especially in suburban areas - although the new LNER loaned a larger-then-normal amount to begin electrifying the long main line route London - Newcastle - Edinburgh. The idea was swiftly copied by Australia on their urban routes.

By 1928 however, it was clear the world was changing. Although the Dominions clearly stood behind the UK in actions and in spirit, there was clearly an underfeeling that these were emerging nations in their own right - British, but with a unique local twist on the culture. The exchanging of representatives between Canada and the US served to underline the growing power of Dominions., however it would be against the backdrop of an economic downturn that the 1928 Imperial Conference took place. Several moments collided at the same time; the afore mentioned economic issues, the raising of US tariffs against imports closing off some traditional markets, and a new approach needed to Imperial relations. It would eventually herald some major announcements by Lord Parmoor (who chaired the meeting). The evolution of the British Empire into the British Commonwealth of Nations was the most striking. The Dominions had enjoyed responsible government for many years, and this was a recognition that while the they would line up behind the British interest, there would occasionally be diverging local needs; Canada's relations with the United States was often the quoted context. The UK and associated Dominions would all become equal before each other as partners, within a shared "Commonwealth" partnership, and would be united by their common attachment to "The Crown". In compensation for the new autonomous nature however, a system of Imperial Preferences was devised, such that all trade is free of customs, duties or quotas between the Commonwealth nations, with a commitment to simplify migration routines, as had traditionally been possible. All imports from outside the Commonwealth would be charged a minimum 10% tariff; although each would be free to set a higher tariff if they so wished. Thirdly, a commitment to the mutual defence of each other, as "free nations in defence of freedom". The initial signatories to the "Commonwealth Communities" scheme were the United Kingdom, Canada, Newfoundland, Australia, New Zealand, India & South Africa, with all 7 signatories to implement the Community rules domestically.

Against a backdrop of such terminology, the first "British Commonwealth Games" were held, in the centre of the Empire at London. Unlike the Olympic Games however, such a Commonwealth competition would allow either a country, or it's provincial constituents to compete. This allowed the 4 Home Nations to compete separately (for sports, Ireland continued to field sports teams jointly between Northern and Southern Ireland); England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, British Guinea, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa all competed. Predictably, England won many medals at the inaugural event, being the hosting country, but Canada also put in a strong showing. The experiences of many of the competing athletes were positive; large numbers praised the games for their friendly appeal. Indeed, over the years, the Commonwealth Games have become known as "The Friendly Games" due to the spirit of competition.

Devvy

Donor
1930-1935: The period 1930-1933 is notable by the passage of two separate but interlinked acts. Firstly the Disabling Act, as it became colloquially known, was reasonably uncontroversial and heralded the British formal recognition of it's inability to legislate or interfere in Dominion internal affairs except where explicitly granted by local law. Realistically, this effectively granted quasi-independence to Australia, New Zealand, Canada & Newfoundland, although generally speaking the ultimate court remained the Privy Council of the United Kingdom for constitutional issues. The passage of the Disabling Act, 1933, was swift and easy through Parliament, as it only legitimised what was already standard practice.

However, the Commonwealth Trade & Realms Act, 1933, had a much harder time. The agreement from 1928 had quickly degenerated; some people criticised it for not allowing free migration around the Empire, although this was counter-criticised by Australian officials who at the time only were in favour of white immigration. The rapidly collapsing Newfoundland government, struggling with financial and political issues, meant that Newfoundland would find it difficult to pass the relevant domestic legislation. The pressure by Jan Smuts for a formalised Commonwealth Constitution, guaranteeing free trade and mutual defence by the signatories was decried by opponents in each Dominion who having just obtained the formal recognition of their sovereignty, they were loathe to surrender sovereignty to a Commonwealth Constitution which each participant would individually have no control over. Many MPs in the UK as well were adamant that "the British Parliament should be subservient to nobody". There were also many concerns regarding the status of Argentina, which historically had been almost an unofficial Dominion, such was the extent of British investment in Argentina; British commercial interests did not want to be cut off from Argentine markets if reciprocal barriers were enacted.

The answer, as ever, came as a compromise at the 1933 Imperial Conference. The new agreement was between the United Kingdom and the Dominion Governments only. It guaranteed free trade as before (free of tariffs, quotas or duties), with a minimum 10% customs duty levied against non-Commonwealth imports (subject to some exceptions). It would also guarantee free migration between the signatories (importantly, between residents of the members); now uncontroversial, considering the signatories. The group of nations would form the "Commonwealth Communities", and would pass regulations together; each regulation would be passed into law domestically in each nation, allowing each nation to slightly adapt the regulations to fit local circumstance as long as it did not contradict the Commonwealth regulation. This would answer questions over local sovereignty, but the rule that refuses to enact domestic legislation would lead to the suspension of the member retained the solidity of the Commonwealth. Tariffs, up to the agreed 10% (at least - signatories had the right to charge higher then 10% on imports, but not less), would be fully phased in by 1943, allowing time for members to adapt their economies; Australia and New Zealand in particular were eager for some time to give their industries time to grow and adapt before free trade affected them.

The new Commonwealth Communities Act, 1934, had a far easier time passing through British Parliament, and indeed the Dominion Parliaments. To administer the scheme, each signatory nominated a member to a new "Commonwealth Commission" which would serve as an executive, making sure each member applied the rules equally and suitably. By 1935 however, concerns were beginning to grow that Canada, Australia & New Zealand would be unable to fully supply the British demand for food and prices might grow, with several prominent politicians pushing for the admission of Argentina to the Commonwealth Communities, allowing free trade with Argentina and meeting the British market demand for food. Considering the almost wholly European lineage of the Argentine population, the racial policies of some members would be largely unaffected; that was balanced against concern over the Spanish language question however. And questions of identity; what was the Commonwealth, if the English language was not even a unifying factor?

The change however would have a profound affect on India however. Now indirectly excluded from the Commonwealth Community, Indians felt marginalised within the community. Although India largely qualified for the Commonwealth by virtue of the British Raj, and would probably benefit from the trade provisions (although how the free trade provisions applied to India was not particularly clear), their citizens would not immediately benefit as they were not domiciled in one of the signatory nations (although they could move to the UK and after a few years be judged as domiciled in the UK). It only seemed to underline, in conjunction with other British Governmental actions in the British Raj, that Indians were subservient to UK interests, and the only answer would be full independence.

In other new, in 1934, Edward & Freda announced they would be having an unexpected third child, to the delight of citizens across the Commonwealth. Tragically however, Freda died during childbirth to a baby daughter who survived, named Mary Freda Elizabeth Alice. Much of the populace was stunned, with an outpouring of grief and sorrow for the Royal Family. Prince Edward, who was the subject of many best wishes, was understandably grief-stricken, and was hardly seen in public during much of 1934 following the birth. In early 1935, Edward died from an acute heart failure, with many pinning the death on a broken heart after the loss of his wife. The death meant that King George V's grandson, Prince William, was now the heir to the throne at only age 10 (born 1925).

---------------------------------
Notes: So legislation passes outlining the OTL Balfour Declaration. Continual political infighting means the downscaling of the Community to the UK and full Dominions only, much to the frustration of Indians who feel locked out (despite the ambiguity of the relations between the British colonies and the Dominions). India is sliding towards independence, pushed by the fact that despite the provisions, there is enough wiggle room in there for "White-Only" immigration procedures to continue.

Members of the Commonwealth Communities are: The United Kingdom (of Great Britain & Ireland), Canada, Newfoundland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.

Edward, Prince of Wales, in Canada with Freda Dudley Ward.

1918-1925: As archives now show, Edward and Freda were a whirlwind romance; Edward, Prince of Wales, and Freda Dudley Ward, the widow of a former MP, got on very well after meeting in 1918. She referred to him as "Eddy" in private, and he called her "Freddy Weddy". The couple seemed at home together, and it must be down to Freda's early influences that Edward settled down, becoming more at home with his role as the Prince of Wales.
Eddy? His friends called him David. Why would she use his Regnal name? Or is this OTL, just making her wife instead of mistress?

Devvy

Donor
I just made that bit up...just presuming that as he called her "Freddie", she might respond with "Eddy" as a little nickname, other then David as normal. Rolls off the tongue a bit better then "Davvy".....! Otherwise, roughly OTL, just that mistress becomes wife instead as she's a divorcee, so a lot less controversial then OTL....

Devvy

Donor
1936-1939: By 1936, the German citizenry of the Rhineland was getting agitated. Their French overlords, while recognising their cultural and linguistic differences, were only focussed on one thing - getting as much iron and coal out of the ground as possible to aid the French economy. Occasional protests and rioting had taken place, but was swiftly cracked down upon by the French police forces, stifling any notion at allowing any real German autonomy in the region. The end result was a slow trickle of emigrants. Understandably, many went to Germany and Austria, but a reasonable minority moved to the UK, with some from there moving on to Canada. Notable Canadians including Lise Ney, Quebecois politician, ice hockey player Peter Roder and former Governor-General Lance Hoffman all descend from German immigrants during this time.

In 1937, Argentina applied to be an official member of the Commonwealth Community, as suggested by UK politicians. Immediately, it's application was met by hostility from Australia and South Africa due to significant overlapping economic interests - almost completely in an agricultural context. However, the inability of Australian and South African suppliers during the previous years to completely fill the British marketplace with goods meant that foods prices had actually risen slightly in the past 2 years, as tariffs against non-Commonwealth goods rose. It was an extremely unpopular move domestically in the United Kingdom, and such political machinations actually threatened the stability of the entire Commonwealth Community project by potentially forcing the core component (the United Kingdom) out. In the face of such political opinion, Australian's Prime Minister was forced to relent, with South Africa following suit. The acceptance by 1939 of the Argentine application to join the Commonwealth Community was championed in the UK as a success for British economic and commercial interests, opening new markets to the UK, and keeping food prices low. Argentina accepted the stipulation that the English language was used internationally on the Commonwealth stage, and to enact Commonwealth regulations in domestic law. Although Argentina was domestically Spanish speaking, the decades of British economic interactions and migration of industrialists had led to a semi-British culture in some areas of Argentine, with many common sporting interests which led to an easy fit for Argentina within future Commonwealth Games.

However, in 1939 King George V died, and is buried. The British Empire expresses it's sorrow for the passing of a popular King, who had overseen the tentative footsteps in the transformation of an empire into a democratic Commonwealth, and the weight of an empire lands squarely on the young 14 year old Prince who immediately becomes King William V. Being a youngster however, his uncle Prince Albert as acting Regent, while William finishes his education with the eyes of the world on him, with William expressing his desire to attend university fully after his schooling.

The third British Commonwealth Games occurs in Sydney, Australia in 1938. The increased lineup now features 15 nations competing in "the friendly games", and as such is the largest of the three Games so far. It continues to be held every 4 years, with participating countries increasing year-upon-year, as ever greater colonies transition towards statehood and embrace their nationality.

The 1937 Provincial elections in India meant further movement towards Indian independence. The election of pro-independence parties in the majority of Indian provinces provided a solid platform for political pressure by the Indians towards independence. Their newfound political victories only served to alienate their Muslim brothers. Majority Muslim provinces elected Muslim League provincial governments, which were generally in opposition to Indian Congress plans for independence, fearing majority rule would erode Muslim rights. However, by 1939, the UK had further given way, and pressure lead to the enactment of the Federal Indian Parliament for British India, but with several reserved powers kept to British administrators, and the Princely States allowed to accede and join the Federal India programme. The British continued to try to work out a power-sharing deal to keep both Muslims and Hindus happy, initially around an elegant federal-regional-provincial power structure, but the British efforts were too half-hearted to make any significant progress in the deteriorating political atmosphere.

-----------------------------
Notes: India continues it's slow slide towards independence in the face of British reluctance over moves towards autonomy.

German unrest begins in the Rhineland, although some simply emigrate.

Argentina is brought into the Commonwealth Community. It's a significant economic move; in OTL 1930 around 20% of Argentine imports came from the UK, and around 35% of exports went to the UK. I've seen some documents (and be damned if I can find the sources now) that the Commonwealth may have had difficulty filling British shelves fully if Imperial Preference had been enacted; here we've solved that by bringing in Argentina. High levels of British investment pre WWI, have here continued, creating clear Commonwealth-Argentina interests.

Interesting take so far. The India question continues to rear its head and I'm curious as to the final outcome for the country in this timeline.

It looks like a new war is coming, although one that will be fairly different from OTL.