WI: Successful Operation Ten-Go

Vexacus

Banned
The alternate history challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to have Operation Ten-go succeed and Yamato and Musashi survive the war.

Well, Ten-Go doesn't necessarily end up with either of the two surviving... Just beached on Okinawa and getting blasted by CAS 24/7.

Though I assume it'd take a hell of a lot of firepower to put 'em offline. Then again, I guess all you really have to do is crack open the turrets, and seeing as she isn't moving...

If they do make landfall they're eventually refloated, towed back to mainland Japan, and either made into floating museums, or scrapped.

I think the most likely outcome is they effectively get blasted to scrap.

I know Yamato had in it's AA arsenal 162 x 25-mm cannons and 4 x 13.2-mm cannons in 1945, but given the sheer size of Yamato, America could have probably used 4-engine bombers like the B-29 to attack it along with the Navy's dive bombers.

Yamato and Musashi could only realistically survive the war if they are stuck in Japan`s harbors at the end of WWII and don`t get used as atomic bomb targets, and even then they would almost certainly be scrapped after the war, too much valuable steel in them. I can only see them living on if Japan is allowed to keep the big battleships as fleet flagships years after the war (them being proven obsolescent by aircraft carriers) and retiring them in the 1950s or them being made into museum ships. Mind you, I must be honest, I wonder what a Yamato modernized in the 1980s as a battleship in active service would look like, as insanely unlikely as that possibility is....

I wonder what a Yamato modernized in the 1980s as a battleship in active service would look like, as insanely unlikely as that possibility is....

Take a look at the Iowa modernization's and just replace their guns with the Y's. That's what it'd most likely look like.

Yamato and Musashi could only realistically survive the war if they are stuck in Japan`s harbors at the end of WWII and don`t get used as atomic bomb targets, and even then they would almost certainly be scrapped after the war, too much valuable steel in them. I can only see them living on if Japan is allowed to keep the big battleships as fleet flagships years after the war (them being proven obsolescent by aircraft carriers) and retiring them in the 1950s or them being made into museum ships.
Actually, I suspect they'd last long grounded off Iwo Jima than back in harbour.

Take a look at the Iowa modernization's and just replace their guns with the Y's. That's what it'd most likely look like.

To some extent, you're probably right. It was more theoretical than anything else, it would be almost ASB territory to have this happen.

Could slightly higher losses in aircraft carriers do the trick? [I mean, if events in Europe sink the Illustrious class ships, cause the Germans to finish their carriers and the US does slightly worse at Midway or so, which require a pod in 1940-1942, there might be less carriers available in the Pacific. Granted, Operation Ten Go's doomed anyway and is subjective to the butterfly effect, but who cares if Yamato and Musashi sortie together for a mission to defend Japanese islands. [Submarines and aircraft depleting US carriers might be impossible given the US strength.]
Can the pod be at any point before 1943?

That just means that the bigs get further on before being sunk by some combination of aircraft, subs, destroyers and battleships.

The alternate history challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to have Operation Ten-go succeed and Yamato and Musashi survive the war.

As shore batteries?

Or rather as destroyed shore batteries?

The success of Ten-go appeared to have been measured by how hard the IJN fought - if the battleships were destroyed and every last crew member killed in ground fighting this was the desired result.:confused:

What's the earliest POD allowed ?

Can I have a different operation called Ten-Go ? (say not against the USN ?)

IJN joint operations v Germany, Yamato end up beached on the muddy islands coving the allies amphibious invasion of north west Germany ? under p51 Cap it survive the war and are refloated post war to take back to japan as a museum ship ?

:rolleyes::D.

JSB

Vexacus

Banned
What's the earliest POD allowed ?

Can I have a different operation called Ten-Go ? (say not against the USN ?)

IJN joint operations v Germany, Yamato end up beached on the muddy islands coving the allies amphibious invasion of north west Germany ? under p51 Cap it survive the war and are refloated post war to take back to japan as a museum ship ?

:rolleyes::D.

JSB
That is the best idea yet:D

David Green just had a mental image of Yamato and Musashi with giant wedge ploughs welded to their bows charging past the Frisian Islands, clearing channels through the mud of the Wadden Sea... :eek: