WI: TR lives to a ripe old age

Well, the first thing is if his health holds, he probably stands for, and wins, the Republican nomination in 1920, which means he's almost certainly elected president (again) that year.

Well, the first thing is if his health holds, he probably stands for, and wins, the Republican nomination in 1920, which means he's almost certainly elected president (again) that year.

This was what I was going to say. We came tantalizingly close to Roosevelt vs. Roosevelt.

It feels strange to imagine a world with a pre-WWII President surviving into the fifties, considering Hoover and FDR were basically it for almost the entirety of FDR's term.

It feels strange to imagine a world with a pre-WWII President surviving into the fifties, considering Hoover and FDR were basically it for almost the entirety of FDR's term.

It's interesting to see what TR would have had to say/do during WW2, if his Presidency doesn't butterfly it, that is.

I think Hoover lived well into the 1960s or so, into his nineties.

Hoover the FBI director, even longer. :cool:

It's interesting to see what TR would have had to say/do during WW2, if his Presidency doesn't butterfly it, that is.

In a gilded conference room, somewhere in Europe, TR enters.

He stands and looks down at the Nazi Adolf Hitler. Hitler has pointedly remained seated, and is looking at TR unblinkingly, defiantly.

TR looks at Hitler for another moment, and then shakes his head. He sighs and murmurs to himself, "There's just nothing for it. Absolutely nothing."

Roosevelt then draws out a not insubstantial revolver, aims it at the Nazi's head, and then blasts Hitler clear out of his chair.

Roosevelt is pensive as he holsters his gun.

He looks up at the rest of those in the room, and tells them, "We'll reconvene in the morning."

TR then strides out.

Winston, warming a glass of sherry in his hands, beams at a portrait of his mother.

"Mum," he said. "I've got something smashing to tell you. I've found him! I have found my long-lost brother, the one you didn't tell me about!"

With a conservative Congress and public the Second Roosevelt administration is not a time of progressive reform. Instead there is tax and spending cuts and balanced budget. There is also high tariffs. TR sort of honors the two term tradition and does not run in 1928. The economy collapses and President Hoover gets the blame. The Second President Roosevelt takes office in 1933.

With a conservative Congress and public the Second Roosevelt administration is not a time of progressive reform. Instead there is tax and spending cuts and balanced budget. There is also high tariffs. TR sort of honors the two term tradition and does not run in 1928. The economy collapses and President Hoover gets the blame. The Second President Roosevelt takes office in 1933.

I have to wonder - does this create a new tradition, where Presidents can serve as many terms as they want but are capped at two consecutive?

...perhaps a radically different 22nd Amendment stating such?

His Presidency will butterfly WW2. Without Coolidge and Harding, the government will continue to regulate businesses, so we might be able to stop the Great Depression before it starts. This goes the same for any Progressive president. It would be hard, because of a conservative Congress, but it should be doable. No Great Depression == No Hitler rise to power.

One other thought, How will Roosevelt react to Prohibition and the KKK?