Possible French Colonies

Everyone knows that the French, in the 19th and 18th centuries, colonized many parts of the world, including Quebec, Louisiana, Algeria, the Caribbean, a tiny spot in South America, a large chunk of Africa, and Indochina. What are some areas in the world that the French could have colonized as well, because of their own interests, or just places that would have made sense for the French to colonize? Although, my question excludes India and Australia- the French did colonize India, but the British were too strong there, and they wanted to colonize Australia, but unfortunate circumstances led to it not happening. Besides these 2 areas, what were some other places the French would have most likely colonized? Thanks!

Everyone knows that the French, in the 19th and 18th centuries, colonized many parts of the world, including Quebec, Louisiana, Algeria, the Caribbean, a tiny spot in South America, a large chunk of Africa, and Indochina. What are some areas in the world that the French could have colonized as well, because of their own interests, or just places that would have made sense for the French to colonize? Although, my question excludes India and Australia- the French did colonize India, but the British were too strong there, and they wanted to colonize Australia, but unfortunate circumstances led to it not happening. Besides these 2 areas, what were some other places the French would have most likely colonized? Thanks!

You forgot a few islands - Madagascar, Réunion, Maurice, Nouvelle-Calédonie, and a sizeable part of Polynesia. If XVIII century wars go better, they can keep a bit more of the first colonial empire (Newfoundland, Saint Kitts...).

For your answer, it depends on your time-frame. To keep it short: XVI century in America, XVII and XVIII in Asia, and XIX in Africa.

I think the big one is Brazil. France tried tried “France Antarctique”, in the Rio de Janeiro bay, and “France équinoxiale”, around the equator. Making any of these successful is not a very heavy POD (after all, Guyane is still French). In the Americas, there is also the failed settlement in Florida. And the Falklands Islands are known in Spanish (and French) after the city of Saint-Malo, which hints that they could also go to France.

Another rich possibility is Asia. Thailand was another near-miss in the XVIIth century, and either Hainan or Taiwan seems possible as well. Maybe some island in the Philippines or New Guinea could be of interest (although Philippines = confrontation with the Spanish, which is bad; and New Guinea is notoriously hard to settle).

Apart from this, in Oceania and Africa, the French were all over the place enough that I don't think it very likely they could have invaded much more. (A possible exception, in the XIXth century, would be completion of the French Sudan project, linking Djibouti with Sénégal; or maybe Egypt if they can manage it before they dig the Suez canal).

TFSmith121

Banned
Grande Bretagne?

Grande Bretagne? Irlande? Allemagne? Belgique? Helvetie? Batavie?

Tre bien...

Looking at the history of what is now South Africa, the Boers and then takeover by Britain, I wonder if there is a POD for France to do it instead.

I wonder if strategical geography and all, it helped the british's empire building to take southern africa, and if France got it, if it would have helped to take on more of India by example and hold on it, or even Australia or something..

Looking at the history of what is now South Africa, the Boers and then takeover by Britain, I wonder if there is a POD for France to do it instead.

I wonder if strategical geography and all, it helped the british's empire building to take southern africa, and if France got it, if it would have helped to take on more of India by example and hold on it, or even Australia or something..
The problem is that even in the late 18th century, when Dutch power was waning I doubt the French would be able to defeat the Dutch hard enough on sea that they would be able to actualy conquer the Cape colony. The fact that the Dutch decided to retreat from the wars in Europe at that point or the fact that they were allied with the British makes it very hard too. Also if the French conquered it, they would have to defend it from the British, which is probably even harder.

I belive that the only way for the French to gain South Africa, would be to get it before the Dutch. Mind you, that is hardly impossible. It was more or less by accident the Dutch got the Cape colony.

I may be wrong, but actually, France had some bits of southern (now PRC) China, the 'limes/marches' of Indochina if you wish, around the late 19th century's scramble for China (and the World), I believe.. or early 20th...

They had Guangzhouwan, the French equivalent to Hong-Kong. Except it never developed like Hong-Kong.

France could have basically anything that was actually colonized by the Europeans (and some countries that weren't like Thailand or Ethiopia) with the right PoD.

If the French keep Madras and trade off Louisbourg, then French India will be a thing. Plus, the Brits won't be able to expand because if Calcutta is invadd, they'd have to evacuate to Bombay, completely messing with their "Bengali dreams". A Chandernagore-Pondichery axis would mean increased French influence in the Bay of Bengal, and lead to the development of French trade in the area. Dupleix was a very important asset to the French, and if they keep Madras, they probably keep him.