Sports What Ifs.

1. KC Chiefs upset the GB Packers in Superbowl I?

2. Liston KOs Clay on a lucky haymaker?

3. No Buckner error in 1986 world series?

4. Max Schmelling defeats Louis twice?

5. 1985 Bears undefeated?

6. Scott Norwood nails the kick in Superbowl XXV?

7. 1966 Gail Sayers signs with the Chiefs of the AFL over the Bears of the NFL?

8. Babe Ruth stayed healthy?

9. Elway plays for the Colts?

10. Jordan plays thru his retirements?

ill answer the football ones

1. Same thing when the Jets defeated the Colts but instead of the Jets/Colts being the 'game' it would be Packers/Chiefs.
5. Not much would change except instead of hearing about the 72 Dolphins as the lone undefeated team, we would hear about the 72 'phins and 86 Bears.
6. No stupid Parcells is a genius legacy. Bills would get at least one super bowl, probably get killed by the Redskins and Cowboys.
7. It would probably lead to Chiefs defeating the Packers. and the WI: see post 1 for that.
9. Elway probably leads the Colts to SBXXX and defeats the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. Elway definately beats the Steelers in the AFC title game in Elway's last minute drive.

Couldn't care less about a so-called sport as corrupt as boxing, so I won't pretend to give a rat's ass about items 2 and 4. The football ones (1,5,6,7,9) have already been addressed.

Then:

3. If Buckner didn't do a fine imitation of a croquet wicket, the Sox would have finally reached redemption in 1986. It's possible Clemens might have stayed on his entire career in Boston, and we might have had a series of Red Sox pennants rivaling those before World War I.

8. Not sure what you meant here: were you referring to the illness that hit him in the 1920s that led to the Yankees missing the '24 and '25 pennants, or the throat cancer that got him in the end? In the first instance, I'm not convinced that the Senators wouldn't have won the pennant in '24 and '25 anyhow; in the second instance, he'd possibly have been a color commentator in the earliest days of network TV broadcasts--but under no circumstances would he have managed the Yankees.

I'll add a few:

* Suppose Leon Stickel doesn't blow an obvious/blatant offsides call in game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup finals?
* Suppose the New York Rangers make the trade with the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros, and Peter Forsberg spends his entire career with the Philadelphia Flyers?
* Suppose Tim Kerr had been fully healthy for the 1987 Stanley Cup playoffs, and not plagued by shoulder problems?

3. If Buckner didn't do a fine imitation of a croquet wicket, the Sox would have finally reached redemption in 1986. It's possible Clemens might have stayed on his entire career in Boston, and we might have had a series of Red Sox pennants rivaling those before World War I.

You do recall the game was tied then? And, the Sox had a horrible bullpen?

That said, anything is possible in baseball. Here's an idea. The Sox go on to lose in 12 or 13. the next day is rain, and Hurst makes his start. With the bullpen more tired, instead of the guys McNamara brought in to pitch to the Mets with the score tied at 3 (including Schiraldi, the game 6 loser) Johnny Mac brings in Clemens for a couple batters on a day of rest. Then, he's more willing to use Nipper and Oil Can Boyd. Johnny Mac's problem in game 7 was that he didn't pay attention to what Bob Costas always says - in a do or die game, your pitcher must be "allstaff."

HelloLegend

Banned
Did the Colts move before Elway draft or after?

Had Elway been willing to play for Colts, was it Baltimore or Indy?,
they could have BUILT a team around him.

I'll add a few:

* Suppose Leon Stickel doesn't blow an obvious/blatant offsides call in game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup finals?
* Suppose the New York Rangers make the trade with the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros, and Peter Forsberg spends his entire career with the Philadelphia Flyers?
* Suppose Tim Kerr had been fully healthy for the 1987 Stanley Cup playoffs, and not plagued by shoulder problems?

if the NYR Rangers did the trade with the Nordiques, the Nords could had won the cup in 1994
and lots of chances then the Flyers might won the cup if Kerr was 100% healthy

I add my pinch of salt as well
*If the WHA (World Hockey Association) had been created earlier like 1967 or 1970?
*If the NFL-AFL merger resulted into a "MLF" (Major League Football) instead of being NFL with the SuperBowl being the football counterpart of the World Series?
*The NHL "Original Six" era continued to the early 1970s or ended more early like the late 1950s?

Did the Colts move before Elway draft or after?

Had Elway been willing to play for Colts, was it Baltimore or Indy?,
they could have BUILT a team around him.

Just before. Elway was traded to Denver on May 2, 1983, and the Colts moved to Indy on March 28, 1984. That being said, I don't think keeping Elway would make Baltimore offer more to keep the team. The city was (and still is) in a pretty bad state, financially, and couldn't afford to build Irsay a new stadium. In any event, Elway's success didn't really start to take off until his second year in the league.

HelloLegend

Banned
Okay. However, Elway would be the kind of QB magnet to draw other good players to the team, eh? Like Bledsoe did for NE in those early days?

Okay. However, Elway would be the kind of QB magnet to draw other good players to the team, eh? Like Bledsoe did for NE in those early days?

One year isn't enough time to do that in Baltimore. Even in Denver, which had a far more favorable financial and team situation, it still took three years (1986) to get to the Super Bowl. About the only thing that might change in the first year is that Irsay will be able to squeeze a bit more out of Indianapolis, which agreed to loan him $4 million in OTL. Bump that up to $4.5 or $5 million, and throw in some other incentives, and it seems like a realistic picture for that year.

World Cup 1986-Diego Maradona is Sent off and the "hand of God" is Disallowed. the game at the time was 0-0 Could England have gone Further? Even win the WC?

I have no idea what on earth he is talking about there...
I only recognise the name babe ruth.

I posted one a few weeks ago but no one replied- WI half of Matt Busbys Man Utd team doesn't die in a certain air crash.

#8 WI Babe Ruth had been a fielder his whole carreer and keep in better shape?

Ans. Barry Bonds would not pass his Home Run record before the steriods kill him.:rolleyes:

if the NYR Rangers did the trade with the Nordiques, the Nords could had won the cup in 1994
and lots of chances then the Flyers might won the cup if Kerr was 100% healthy

I add my pinch of salt as well
*If the WHA (World Hockey Association) had been created earlier like 1967 or 1970?
*If the NFL-AFL merger resulted into a "MLF" (Major League Football) instead of being NFL with the SuperBowl being the football counterpart of the World Series?
*The NHL "Original Six" era continued to the early 1970s or ended more early like the late 1950s?

For the Lindros trade-Philadelphia would probably become a much more dangerous team with a younger, less-injured Peter Forsberg while the other players such as Mike Ricci, Chris Simon etc. who played a key role in Colorado's win in 96 do the same for Philly. Quebec and Philadelphia could become a heated rivalry. Philadelphia beats Detroit for the Cup in 97.

Quebec may win the Cup in 95 and/or 96, which staves off relocation for a few years, perhaps entirely. The government of Quebec could be more willing to help out a Cup-winning team in their province, especially since it would bring in money.

The Rangers end up like the Flyers here, a strong team for a while that's always "right there".

-This would also affect the Patrick Roy trade, as I highly doubt the Habs would trade him to a divisional rival. Perhaps they take Chicago's offer for Ed Belfour and Eric Daze?
-Detroit would be the strongest team by far in the west, but won't be able to beat the strong teams in the east, at least for a while.
-Winnipeg still relocates to Phoenix.
-Colorado enters the NHL as an expansion team in 1996, and become an in-joke for hockey fans due in part to them being the worst team in the league. Their record is somewhere in between Ottawa's first year and San Jose's first. They draft players such as Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier first overall, turning them into a potential future powerhouse.

Now, for the others.:)
-The Original Six could have ended as early as the 1950's. The Cleveland Barons and a possible team from Buffalo wanted to get in (and the Barons almost did, if I recall correctly, as they were dominant in the AHL), but Clarence Campbell was opposed to any kind of expansion at the time. With Cleveland and Buffalo in as early as the 50's, this opens the door for expansion in the west by the 60's (and with a team already in Cleveland, perhaps the NHL tries much harder to save the Oakland Seals and keep them there?).

An opportunity is seen in the west, and the WHA starts up in 1967, until they eventually merge with the NHL in the mid 70's. The NHL does it's damnest to keep their draft picks secret for as long as possible, and possibly offer contracts to underagers (illeagally), especially with highly coveted players like Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Gilbert Perreault, and Larry Robinson. The WHA raids NHL rosters like they did here, and manage to get stars like Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull. Perhaps other players who were afterthoughts on their NHL team at the time, guys like Ken Dryden before he was traded to Montreal and Billy Smith, get signed by the WHA as well. The WHA still introduces European players to pro hockey.

With the WHA gone by the late 70's, Wayne Gretzky gets drafted in 1979 by the dead last Minnesota North Stars, and the Edmonton Oilers dynasty could very well never occur. It could, however, turn Minnesota into a powerhouse, as they pick up all kinds of stars in the draft in the late 70's and early 80's.

-I always kind of thought that the NFL was already like that. Maybe less inter-division play?

I've got a few,

-How could the lockouts in 94-95 and 04-05 been avoided, or more likely, shortened so there could have been more hockey?

-What if Marty McSorley is never caught with an illeagal curve in the 93 finals? Does Los Angeles win it? Or does Montreal still manage to come back?

-What if Alexandre Daigle lived up to expectations of being a first overall choice, instead of ending up like he did here?

I've got a few,

-How could the lockouts in 94-95 and 04-05 been avoided, or more likely, shortened so there could have been more hockey?

-What if Marty McSorley is never caught with an illeagal curve in the 93 finals? Does Los Angeles win it? Or does Montreal still manage to come back?

-What if Alexandre Daigle lived up to expectations of being a first overall choice, instead of ending up like he did here?

if the 94-95 season wasn't shortened and stay with a regular calandar, the Montreal Canadiens wouldn't had missed the playoffs this season. And we could had a shorted 04-05 season but I doubt then Tampa Bay would have won the cup a 2nd time.

-lots of chances then LA could had won the cup in 7 games

-Alexandre Daigle could had made the same stuff as Mario Lemieux did, the general-manager of the Sens do some good draft and trades and turned Ottawa into a powerhouse and a new dynasty.

For the Lindros trade-Philadelphia would probably become a much more dangerous team with a younger, less-injured Peter Forsberg while the other players such as Mike Ricci, Chris Simon etc. who played a key role in Colorado's win in 96 do the same for Philly. Quebec and Philadelphia could become a heated rivalry. Philadelphia beats Detroit for the Cup in 97.

Quebec may win the Cup in 95 and/or 96, which staves off relocation for a few years, perhaps entirely. The government of Quebec could be more willing to help out a Cup-winning team in their province, especially since it would bring in money.

The Rangers end up like the Flyers here, a strong team for a while that's always "right there".

-This would also affect the Patrick Roy trade, as I highly doubt the Habs would trade him to a divisional rival. Perhaps they take Chicago's offer for Ed Belfour and Eric Daze?
-Detroit would be the strongest team by far in the west, but won't be able to beat the strong teams in the east, at least for a while.
-Winnipeg still relocates to Phoenix.
-Colorado enters the NHL as an expansion team in 1996, and become an in-joke for hockey fans due in part to them being the worst team in the league. Their record is somewhere in between Ottawa's first year and San Jose's first. They draft players such as Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier first overall, turning them into a potential future powerhouse.

My name is KingDobbs, and I approve of this message. As long as Hartford keeps the Whalers.

What if Sports weren't big business and people didn't spend inordinate amount of time watching them instead of participating in them?

Torqumada