Alternate names for the Tank?

Landship would be the first that comes to my mind. Perhaps Panzer or Char becomes more widespread, or Ironclad becomes a popular term for the connection with the H.G Wells novel?

Delta Force

Banned
Land ship, land cruiser, land dreadnought, and land battleship all come to mind as possible names if navies had been more influential in the development of the tank.

Other options could be land fortress, mobile fortress, armored gun, armored cavalry, motorized cavalry, and motorized fortress.

harry turtledove's timeline 191

Well in Harry Turtledove's timeline 191 series tanks were called barrels.

My two usual suggestions for this topic are Rams, taking inspiration from ancient/medieval siege craft and emphasizing the role of the tank in battering down the walls of trenches. Or Ovens, assuming a different developmental phase where the prototype tanks are codenamed as field bakeries rather than water containers, combined with some quips about how hot it is for the tankers that actually have to go inside and crew the early tanks.

Land ship, land cruiser, land dreadnought, and land battleship all come to mind as possible names if navies had been more influential in the development of the tank.
I wonder if the navy would be laughing at the army in that case. Compared to an actual dreadnought or battleship of any type, the limited number of tiny caliber guns on a tank would seem kind of... puny.

Perhaps Land Destroyers and then contracted to Landers for short.

Delta Force

Banned
I wonder if the navy would be laughing at the army in that case. Compared to an actual dreadnought or battleship of any type, the limited number of tiny caliber guns on a tank would seem kind of... puny.

Perhaps Land Destroyers and then contracted to Landers for short.

That makes sense. The caliber of tank armament is on par with torpedo boats and destroyers, not battleships and cruisers.

Shortening to lander might get a bit confusing when space travel is developed though. The Lunar lander could be mistaken for a tank, especially in translation. :p

That makes sense. The caliber of tank armament is on par with torpedo boats and destroyers, not battleships and cruisers.

Shortening to lander might get a bit confusing when space travel is developed though. The Lunar lander could be mistaken for a tank, especially in translation. :p
The crazy cowboy Amerikanski have gone too far! :D

I kind of like names like Battlewagon and Tractor, something simplistic the soldiers come up with that sticks.

How about the Terras? Coming from the Greek teras, meaning monster, as well as Terra, meaning Earth in Latin, as a reference to how they're giant earth weapons (to contrast with the ships Navies have used for millennium, and the new airplanes now being used in the Air Forces).

How about naming different sizes of AFVs after different sizes of naval vessels: blockades, carriers, cruisers, cutters, frigates, destroyers, trawlers, monitors, patrol, pickets, runners, screen, skiffs, sweepers,etc.

Another fun thing to think about is how this affects the naming of Tankettes ('little tanks') later on.

Some names can be converted rather easily (Ovenettes), while others require a bit more creativity.

Delta Force

Banned

How about naming different sizes of AFVs after different sizes of naval vessels: blockades, carriers, cruisers, cutters, frigates, destroyers, trawlers, monitors, patrol, pickets, runners, screen, skiffs, sweepers,etc.

Land monitor/fortress: A super heavy tank for defending key points.
Land battleship/dreadnought: A heavy tank capable of defeating all others.
Land battlecruiser: Between the land cruiser and land battleship, trades armor for speed.
Land cruiser: A medium tank usable for many roles.
Land destroyer: A tank destroyer used to overwhelm enemy tanks.
Land torpedo: An armored car, so named because of the high speeds and light armor/armament of torpedo boats.
Land layer: A vehicle used for mine laying.
Land sweeper: A vehicle used for mine clearing.

Delta Force

Banned
I think that naming them after the roles of traditional cavalry units (lancers, hussars, cuirassiers, etc.) could be interesting, but I don't know enough what those roles were and how they could translate to armored vehicle roles.

My favorite is treadnought; I saw someone post it the last time this was asked. It's amazing how many different names you can come up with.

Barrel is also a good name. :D