Aragon Ascendant: The Story of the Other Spain

Cosmedian

Banned
Chapter One: An (Anti)Union of the Crowns {1504 - 1510}

Bandera_Preauton%C3%B3mica_Arag%C3%B3n_1978-1984.svg
The loss of Isabella I, Queen of the Castillian and Aragonese Crown, was felt heavily though out the Iberian peninsula. For King Ferdinand II, her husband, however, it felt as if the world was falling apart. His grieving for his beloved wife had been interrupted by members of her court, trying to take his Kingdom from underneath his feet. The nobles of Castille did not want him on the throne, no, and they intended to throw him off of it. They'd already crowned his daughter Joanna, as the new Queen, reducing his status to that of regent while she was off in the Netherlands [1]. His time in power seemed to be slowly ticking away. When she returned, however, he was promptly ousted from power; instead her and her husband, Philip, would rule over Castille. Indeed, 1504 was a sad year.

Annoyed at this divergence from his plans, Ferdinand decided to forget about his wife's former kingdom for the time, opting instead to work on matters of his own. In 1505, he'd arranged himself a marriage with the niece of King Louis XII of France, Germaine of Foix. In doing so, he'd given himself an alliance with France, and gotten Louis to renounce any claims he might have to the throne of Naples [2] - probably. Ferdinand was almost positive Louis XII wouldn't go for Naples again. In doing so, he hoped to preserve the Crown of Aragon - carefully maneuvering it so that a child with Queen Germaine would inherit the throne, not his half-crazed daughter or her upstart Hapsburg of a husband. All he needed now was a son to pass down his sizable realm to. Every night he spends an hour long, sometimes more, sometimes less, praying to God to bless him with a son.

In 1509, after a long and excruciating twelve hours in labor, a son is born to Queen Germaine and King Ferdinand. The son is named John, and given the standard title for the heir of the Crown as Prince of Girona. The baby is unusually happy; he stops crying within several moments of life and falls asleep. A large birthmark on the right of his upper lip is red [3] - Ferdinand, in a moment of happy joy, claims the mark is from where God himself kissed the baby before sending him down to the planet. The people of Aragon rejoice, and most of all, King Ferdinand rejoices; his plans have come to fruition. The House of Trastàmara is preserved, as is the independence of Aragon. To celebrate, King Ferdinand calls for a parade. It lasts a week, beginning in Zaragoza and ending in Valencia. Ferdinand's other son, the illegitimate Alonso de Aragon [4], baptizes the child in Mediterranean [5], which would become a tradition for the family.

Once back in Zaragoza, in Aljafería Palace [6], another party is thrown as the two decide on who the Godparents of little John should be. Many members of both, Ferdinand's and Germanie's families are there. The child's Uncle, King Louis XII of France, is there to greet and congratulate his niece and nephew-in-law. After a bit of consideration, Ferdinand and Germaine decide on Louis as the Godfather of baby John; an act that would solidify the alliance of Aragon and France even further. Furious of have being overlooked, John's half sister, Queen Joanna of Castille and her husband King Phillip, storm out of the castle. Later on, Ferdinand and Louis celebrate the occasion with talks of the future, plans for possible war, and a large bottle of expensive wine. The King Ferdinand told the aging Louis of his fears of Castille destroying Aragon, and of his dreams of an empire spanning from Europe to the New World, and seemed sad at knowing it's full potential would not be realized during his lifetime. Mostly, however, he expressed his excitement of his new son, and his the future of his lands. Indeed, the future of the Crown of Aragon, and all the kingdoms within it, looked bright, but as we all know, looks can be deceiving.

[1] I couldn't find a specific time that they were in the Netherlands, so I left it vague.
[2] This was OTL, but the details were kind of sketchy from what I read. In this, let's go with it being legitimate.
[3] This mark would in the future be known as nevus flammeus nuchae.
[4] Alonso is going to be a very important figure in the beginning of this TL, so remember that name.
[5] This was noted specifically because Ferdinand was a catholic to the highest degree, and I wanted to create a nice family tradition. I know the week long parade was probably overkill, but it seemed like a cheery way to start off the TL.
[6] Correct me if I am wrong, but this was the OTL residence of the Kings of Aragon, correct?

Cosmedian

Banned
After much planning and thought, here is the prologue to Aragon Ascendant, my new (and first) TL! I've lurked on these boards for quite some time (almost two years :p) reading different timelines and looking on the map thread and such when I got bored, and since i'm studying Ferdinand II and Isabella I, this POD seemed like a coolio idea!

I hope you all enjoy it! Feel free to discuss, comment, criticize, or brainstorm, i'd love to hear from ya. :D

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but this was the OTL residence of the Kings of Aragon, correct?

I was under the impression that after the House of Barcelona inherited the Kingdom of Aragon, that they relocated the capital to Barcelona itself... But now I went to check, and it seems you got it right, they maintained court in Zaragoza until the unification with Castille.

Nice start indeed, I have a soft spot for Aragonese stories. Despite the confusion that people make with the Castillians, in this era, the Aragonese and Catalans still had a very distinctive identity in comparison to their western neighbors.

Cosmedian

Banned
Chapter Two: The League of Extraordinary Holy-Men {1511 - 1516}
The years between the birth of Prince John and the death of King Ferdinand were known as the Hostile Years, although in the future they would be called the 'divorce of Iberia'.

King Ferdinand realized, in order to secure the Kingdom of Aragon and all lands with it for his son, he needed three things to happen; One was to force Phillip of Hapsburg to give up his goal of ruling Aragon and to accept that Joanna would not inherit Aragon. Another was to secure new alliances, as he imagined the one with King Louis VII of France would not last, and if it did, his successor would view Aragon as an easy picking. And the final one was a port on the Atlantic Ocean. Ever since he and the late Isabella II financed Columbus, he had set his sights on the new continent. [1]

The first of his goals was the harder of the three, although he reconciled with Queen Joanna of Castille early in 1511 (this was a ploy; he talked to King Phillip, as his daughter was quite mad). The two signed a 'Treaty of Good Will and the Perpetual Peace of Iberia" (or as historians would call it, the Divorce Terms). Both King Phillip and King Ferdinand realized the treaty was all paper and nothing else. The second was much easier; he sent diplomats to England to strike up an alliance with King Henry VIII, his son-in-law.

Despite the alliance and deal made between the two, King Louis VII decided to press his claims to Naples early in 1511. [2] During this time the King had secured Milan and much of northern Italy, after Pope Julius declared a Holy League against Venice. However, this warmongering in Naples is what led France being ousted from the Italian peninsula. In the later part of 1511, Pope Julius II called a Holy League against France, who he thought had too much power in Italy; England, Venice, and Aragon answered the call. This was a change up from just a year before, when Pope Julius called a Holy League against Venice, and the King of France entered on the Pope's side. King Ferdinand used the war to protect his power in Italy; he solidified his rule in Naples and Sicily, but ended aspirations there - just enough to keep his power, not enough to challenge any other authority in Italy. King Ferdinand used the war for another reason; while it's would-be-protector, France was busy with the League, he could conquer Iberian Navarre! [3] This act greatly annoyed King Phillip, who declined to stop Aragon in fear of being seen as helping France and the Holy League being directed at him. With Navarre, the third goal of King Ferdinand was fully realized, although official voyages to the New World would not happen in his lifetime. Indeed, between conquering nations, participating in Holy Leagues, and dealing with Castille, Ferdinand's final years were turbulent.

However, inside the walls of Aljafería, you would never know of the troubles of the outside. The young John was beloved by all who met him, and was called a smart young lad. Ever the devoted catholic, King Ferdinand instilled traditional catholic values in the boy. As with most monarchs, the King and the Prince never saw much of each other; one had a country to rule, while the other had manners to learn. Ferdinand had many plans and other things on his mind, and planned to actually spend more time with the boy after he was old enough to learn how to run a country. The loving father-son bonding never came to be, however, because when John turned six, his father passed.

Prince John was proclaimed as King John III, King of Aragon, Navarra, both Sicilies, Valencia, Majorca, Sardinia and Corsica, as well as Count of Barcelona. All throughout the realms of the Crown of Aragon, his ascension to the throne is announced, with great cheer despite the death of the late King. As the boy was only six, the leadership of the country was disputed between several factions, all of which claimed the King would've supported them. Queen Germaine de Foix, Mother of King John, and her nephew-in-law, King Philip of Hapsburg, went head to head. Germaine claimed as the Queen, and mother of the future King, she had a natural right to regency. Most regarded her as a spy and lapdog of the French. King Philip claimed that as he was the closest thing to an heir, he should become regent, although most knew this was a grab for power in Aragon - and that if Philip managed to take hold, he wouldn't let go with out a fight.

The funeral was huge; many citizens had come to love King Ferdinand, due to his generosity and devotion to the faith. It was held in the Catedral del Salvador, and Archbishop Alonso de Aragon presided over it. There, the will and testimonies of the late King Ferdinand were read for all to hear; it did not go peacefully. Halfway through, a small protest (although historians would call it a riot) broke out when it was publicly revealed that in his will, the King had chosen his bastard son, Alonso himself, as regent and de facto ruler of Aragon! [4]

[1] What was it called then? Surely not America.
[2] Louis pressing his claims is due to Aragon being much weaker than in OTL, since, it's Aragon and not Spain.
[3] A secondary POD right here; he tries even harder to capture Navarre, this time seeing that he needed to compete with Castille as he has an heir and Phillip did not die. Phillip is being awfully docile, but that won't last for very long.
[4] Told you he'd be important. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cosmedian

Banned
Chapter Three: That Bastard of a Regent! {1517 - 1524}

800px-Alonso_de_Arag%C3%B3n-Plaza_Mayor_de_Salamanca.JPG
Alonso de Aragon was an interesting man. The bastard son of the late King Ferdinand II, he never wanted a career in the clergy - that was his father's choice for him. King Ferdinand had put pressure on the Holy Father to place Alonso as Archbishop, and eventually the Pope had no choice but to oblige him. While a useful tool, Archbishop was never the endgame for Alonso. He was more of a politician and warrior at heart. Indeed, it was Alonso who commanded the troops in the conquest of Iberian Navarre.

This military focus, combined with the history of family mental illness, is what led to what is known now as the "Bastard's Regime". Alonso, within the period of a year, went from a peaceful, ambitious politician to a paranoid, warmongering criminal.

Alonso started by dissolving the royal guard, electing instead to appoint people he thought fit to guard him - not the young King, just him. They quickly became more than that, turning Aragon into an early police state. They were called the "Grandes Protectores" (Great Protectors), although they did more than protect. The young King and Queen Mother Germaine were both basically under house arrest the entire time, for their own 'safety'. In the later part of 1518, King Phillip declared war, officially to help save his aunt-in-law and put his cousin-in-law back on the throne. Most saw through it as a ploy for power, however. Either way, he attacked the Aragonese, and the invasion was tipped in their balance, although once Italian troops came from Sicily, they helped force the Castillians into a stalemate.

In 1520, Regent Alonso de Aragon was denounced by the Pope, for both illegitimacy, and his brutal assault on other nations. He claimed King Ferdinand forced him to raise Alonso to Archbishop. Alonso responded by invading the Papacy; a Holy League was called upon Aragon, and France and Venice responded. They gave Alonso a thrashing; Aragon hadn't had the population base to keep up that many wars, and most of his Italian troops were fending off Castille. A month after invading the Papacy, the tyrant gave up vying for power in Italy, and signed peace treaties with the four parties (France, Venice, Castille, and the Papacy), as well as left the Papal lands. The short period of time after Alonso ended his fruitless wars, but before his ousting from power, saw an increase on oppression in Aragon, as he turned hyper-catholic to combat the rumor of him being coerced into the position of Archbishop. Many Aragonese citizens were executed, slightly under three hundred. [1]

It wasn't until 1523 that something would be done about it. This was the year that the tyrant's grasp on Aragon would subside - as next year, the young King John would come of age. At the age of fourteen, John, King of Aragon and all lands within the Crown of Aragon, was old enough to be wed, and thus old enough to rule a kingdom. His mother, Germaine, had sent diplomats to King Henry VIII to discuss a political marriage between John and Henry's daughter, Mary. [2] Mary was John's half-niece, although the two were only six years apart. Germaine's real reason for doing this was to create a three way alliance [3] against Alonso to oust him from power. As much as she hated the idea of working with her nephew-in-law, she hated the idea of her husband's plans of an independent Aragon being destroyed when his bastard warmongering son had a Holy League declared upon it even more.

The third member of this little alliance was, to Germaine's dread, very demanding; he wanted Iberian Navarre, an area that Aragon had taken under the rule of her late husband. She was reluctant to let go of it; Navarre was Aragon's gateway to the Atlantic, and from there, the rest of the world! In the end, however, she decided she would agree to his terms of alliance, and scheme to take it back later. Henry's goals were much less harmful to Aragonese egos - after hearing that Philip would get Iberian Navarre, he wanted the other half. While being slightly unpractical, the King was not known for his practicality (something that would be found out later in his reign). Germaine de Foix and little King John fled Zaragoza in the night, escaping to a farmhouse outside the city, where King Philip, a contingency of Castillian warriors and a smaller squad of English soldiers met with them. The dual Castillian-English militia, with Germaine behind them, stormed the Palace de Aljafería; they fought their way through the castle, slaughtering the Grandes Protectores, until eventually reaching Alonso. It is at this point they learn that Alonso has escaped! [4] One of the members of the joint liberation force had revealed the plans to him, as described in his letter, and by the time they mobilized, he'd be halfway through the Mediterranean.

At the same time all of that was going down, King Phillip and King Henry mobilized their armies and navies, respectively, and invaded Navarre. With the regent/tyrant missing, most Aragonese soldiers didn't fight back, and were allowed to peacefully return to their homes. King Phillip annexed Iberian Navarre to Castille, and King Henry VIII added French Navarre to his holdings in France. Without Navarre, the Atlantic port Aragon surely needed had been snatched away from it. Yes, Aragon would have to find another way to the Pacific if the late King Ferdinand's dream of the New World [5] was to be realized. And although the times ahead seemed rough, the dictatorship of that bastard of a regent was ended. Peace had been restored to Iberia.

[1] Might this be a way of turning Aragon against the Catholic Church, letting it embrace Protestantism? Maybe it'll lead to a Anglo-Aragonese alliance as they both switch from Catholicism? Hmm? (Probably).
[2] Would half-niece be considered incest? I know cousins were usually fair game. Poor Charles, lost his bride.
[3] Welp, she sort of over reacted. Tsk, tsk - Germaine, you're going to make the Kingdom seem awfully weak to their neighbors. And now that you've managed to lose Navarre, that's not something you want! /foreshadowing
[4] Super paranoid, mad with power tyrant. Why wouldn't he have people spying for him? This isn't the last of him!
[5] Still confused on what it would be called as of now.

Cosmedian

Banned
A better question I would ask, how can Aragon hope to stay strong caught between a rock (Castile) and a Hard Place? (France)

Very carefully? :p:p

I'd imagine gaining France as an ally would do wonders for Aragon, but in order to do that, they would have to stop cozying up to England; perhaps when King Henry VIII tries to divorce Catherine, her half-brother and her daughter (King John III and Queen Mary I of Aragon) will step in to protect her, as Spain did OTL? And Charles V, although without the Aragonese Crown, still held considerable weight, and backed Queen Catherine.

Castille-Aragon-France alliance against UK coming up soon perhaps?

Firstly: What Frenchholdings did Henry add Navarre too, considering all England had in France was Calais.
Secondly: Think you mean Atlantic, not Pacific