Help me create a new state out of FL and AL

I'm working on a TL right now with a post ACW setting in which I'd like to add the creation of a new state out of land from Florida and Alabama. I got my inspiration from the state of Muskogee. My problem is that I do not know what logical ways I could go about creating it. Also I plan on having this set in a CSA victory scenario so I do not know how that may complicate things. I do know that Florida had a low population in the 1800s so I am wondering if it is possible to businessmen and senators to purchase land in western Florida and south east Alabama as a means to create a new state. Below is my current concept. I'd like to have the western boarder end at the east side of Mobile bay but I'm not sure how far east I could draw the boarder in Florida yet. Any help?

West Florida.jpg

I think you'd have more luck keeping the orange part as Florida and splitting off the rest of the state, since the area you've highlighted was the major population center of Florida at the time. (Remember that there wasn't air conditioning, and most of the swamps weren't drained.) Still, you'd need a good reason for Florida to agree to surrender the peninsula, seeing as how the Confederacy was founded on states' rights. Or, perhaps you could have a revolution?

How could that be done? My main plan was to manufacture a situation that redistrubutes the homeland of the Muskogee and other southestern tribe people back to those kept in the Indian Territories. If you can think of a different situation that doesn't involve a CSA victory thats fine I can just write seperate TL.

How could that be done? My main plan was to manufacture a situation that redistrubutes the homeland of the Muskogee and other southestern tribe people back to those kept in the Indian Territories. If you can think of a different situation that doesn't involve a CSA victory thats fine I can just write seperate TL.
What's going to happen to the Indian Territories, then? You might get Florida to accept it for some form of compensation if it's seen as opening up new territories for plantations.

Perhaps another plus would be if, as some people have suggested, the Union keeps Key West and maybe even Fort Dallas (on the future site of Miami) as a naval base. Florida might not mind ceding the land for Indian settlement or another state if that gets the probably-troublesome border off their hands.

Actually I had already planned on having the union keep the Keys but I plan on making the Indian Territories a Free Republic and protectorate shared by the USA and CSA so no White slave holding plantation owners could move to it in my TL. I'd imagine the the land in southern FL would still be as cheap as it became in OTL though correct?

Last edited:
I plan on making the Indian Territories a Free state so now White slave holding plantation owners could move to it in my TL. I'd imagine the the land in southern FL would still be as cheap as it became in OTL though correct?
I'm afraid I don't understand this. You plan to prohibit slavery in the Indian Territory out west... so slaveholders could move there?

Land prices would probably vary hugely depending on how the Confederacy is doing ITTL, and the political tensions with the nearby Union base; I can't really speculate. This might lead Florida to cede the land, but I think they'd need to be compensated in some way unless the Union is making more trouble than it's worth. How much of a role states' rights play in Confederate politics is going to be really significant here, too - more rights mean Floridian preferences need to be taken more into account on either side.

Ceding it to Indians, though, would be seen as throwing it down the drain even more than ceding it as a new settler state. Plus, nearby Indians would be seen as a perpetual trouble brew - remember all the trouble with slaves escaping to the Seminole tribe. For that matter, now that I think about it, everyone would be scared (even if groundlessly) about the Indians making an alliance with the nearby Union base. I don't think they'd accept that without a really good reason.