AHC - Roman Empire falls in Europe, but survives in Asia and Africa

What it says on the tin. Rome's European territories get overwhelmed by invaders down to Gibraltar, the Dardanelles and Bosporus and the straits of Messina or Malta, but the empire holds out on the Mediterranean shores of Africa and Asia.

Twice otl (during the 600's and the 1200's) the ERE was effectively reduced to a powebase in western Anatolia and some strips of land or islands in Europe. A possible POD is a surviving state based on those areas which does better against the Muslims but can't hold onto thrace against the slavs.

Twice otl (during the 600's and the 1200's) the ERE was effectively reduced to a powebase in western Anatolia and some strips of land or islands in Europe. A possible POD is a surviving state based on those areas which does better against the Muslims but can't hold onto thrace against the slavs.

Good point-

I wonder if Roman Europe collapsed in the 3rd century the Romans could hold out in Africa and Asia if they can keep the Barbarians off the sea and hold off the Parthians and then Persians entirely with the resources of Anatolia, the Levant and Egypt & North Africa. With a PoD this early, Islamic conquest can be butterflied away.

Found a map for that Southern Roman Empire Timeline. It fulfills the OP, because the Eastern Roman Empire is going strong in the east, and the western empire is dead.

africatopography524.jpg

Thanks - I will have to investigate southern Roman Empire in greater detail, and in particular, look into the borders of the ERE. They've sure got a lot of Sahara going on in that southern empire.

Now that looks interesting. Though how are those Roman explorers supposed to have overcome the various problems associated with thriving in a tropical climate?

Thanks - I will have to investigate southern Roman Empire in greater detail, and in particular, look into the borders of the ERE. They've sure got a lot of Sahara going on in that southern empire.
IIRC, most of the Sahara parts are just clients (like the Garamantes) that the Romans only have nominal control over. Mostly just along the Sahara trade routes too.