The Prophet's Voice Fell to Silence: No Islam TL

Here we go folks! One of the most controversial and talked about POD is happening right here and now! I am not going to lie, tensions are probably going to run high on this subject, but as your guide into this wonderful world I will do my best to show you the way!

First, before my main post a interesting map I found.

395px-Hejaz622.jpg

A much discussed POD but I don't think i've seen a timeline on it, not recently anyway. Good luck, its probably going to be quite tough. But I'm gonna be following with interest.

sdrucker

Banned
Be as controvertial as you want!:D

Hmm...at this point (620ish AD), I think Palestine/Sinai were nominally in the hands of the Persians during their invasion of the East Roman Empire. Not sure where that puts Petra or the Ghassanids at that time.

CRUSADER KINGS 2
Dev Diary 23: Heresy! Heresy Everywhere!
by Geoffrey Johansson

CrusaderKings2_Wallpaper_0.jpg

Hello, everyone. Welcome to another entry of the Developer Diary for Crusader Kings 2! I'm Geoffrey Johansson, I work as a historical consultant for Paradoxical Studios and basically what I do is spend day after day in libraries, on the internet, and talking with history experts to make sure that Crusader Kings 2 will be as detailed and historically accurate as possible-that is until you the player deviate from history's original course.

Today I want to talk about a game mechanic fairly related to the religion factor in the game. As you may or may not know the Middle Ages were dominated by a contest of power and call to the faith by the holy heads of the major religions, Christianity and Zoroastrianism. Though that explanation is way to simple for the nature and dynamics of these two religions were much more complicated and diverse. Roman Catholic fought Constantinople Patriarch, Zoroastrian fought Monophysite and so forth. As I already explained in the article about religion. While it is unfair of anyone at Paradoxical Studios to say certain religious beliefs are wrong from the perspective of rulers of the Middle Ages anyone who had different beliefs were fair game to persecute. As history shows though even rulers could join in heresies with mixed results.

For example one of the heresy groups that will appear in-game are the Mohammedans or Muslims as they refer to themselves. Originating in the Arabian Peninsula their religious leader, Muhammad, preached of a submission to God that was very well synthesized with the local cultural setting during the 7th Century. Meshing in local traditions as well as Christian and Jewish traditions into his faith, also viewing himself as the next Prophet sent by God. Preaching in the city of Mecca he began to gain a influential following which was not well accepted by the pagan rulers of the city. As such pressure began to build for the Mohammedans to leave Mecca, and several groups did by sea to Abyssinia. Finally, after hearing of a plot against his life he made to leave Mecca to flee to the city of Yathrib [1] not far from Mecca, but he and several of his followers were found in a cave by their pagan pursuers and killed (Muslims refer to this incident as 'When the Prophet's Voice fell to Silence' or when those who did not speak or listen to Muhammad's creeds killed him). Those that made it to Yathrib eventually left as without their charismatic leader the local feuding Pagan and Jewish tribes went to war. Those who had fled to Abyssinia were allowed to settle in the country and would later play important roles in the area.

attachment.php

Heresies are a special game mechanic as in-game events that will pop up at random. A province may suddenly convert to a heresy and it will be the duty of the ruler to stamp it out. The longer a heresy remains unchecked the greater chance that other provinces may decide to convert. The Mohammedans for example, will have the chance to appear in whatever kingdom controls Abyssinia or the Hijaz. Further, characters from that province will be members of that heresy religion. They may even invite the player's ruler to join in their faith which will of course bring down the wrath of the Pope, the Patriarch, or the Dastur Magi and Non-Heretical court members. The player though will be quite free to appoint their own religious leaders launch as many religious wars as they can handle...
-----
[1]- Medina, the city was renamed to Medina after the Prophet and his followers had migrated to the city.

EDIT:

Now for a bit of explanation. I figured that the best course of action to eliminate Islam would be to quickly nip the flower in the bud. To kill off the Prophet before he had a real chance to spread the faith beyond the area of Mecca and really grow major resistance to his opposition in Mecca. Muslims though are still going to be around, which I suppose makes my Thread Header a lie, but I have more interesting things in store for them in Africa. Just you wait and see.

Though, even though I have eliminated the major religious force behind the expansion of Arabs across the face of the world it does not mean all the steam has been taken out of them. As you will see in a few updates the Arabs are going to still be a problem...

Last edited:
Turtledove already took care of the subject in "Agent of Byzantium": case closed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Argyros_(fictional_character)

Heh, I own and a copy and while Mr. Turtledove is admirable bearer of AH as a writer his scenarios are...not as always agreed upon by the AH community.

Further, his scenario has Mohammad converting to East Orthodoxy and doing much to convert the local population of the region to the faith. The Butterflies fly differently in my TL.

Interesting. But I wouldn't worry about exploring this divergence. No one's going to have a problem with the idea unless it came from a bigoted place, which is clearly not the case. In my TL, Mormonism and Ba'hai have been butterflied away. Didn't do it with malicious intent, but to have them just appear, in spite of the POD, would imply that they have some sort of divine inevitability. The same applies to nations, cultures, and ideas that never would exist or cease for the same reason.

So good luck :D. I'm curious what's going to fill the massive void left behind.

Interesting. But I wouldn't worry about exploring this divergence. No one's going to have a problem with the idea unless it came from a bigoted place, which is clearly not the case. In my TL, Mormonism and Ba'hai have been butterflied away. Didn't do it with malicious intent, but to have them just appear, in spite of the POD, would imply that they have some sort of divine inevitability. The same applies to nations, cultures, and ideas that never would exist or cease for the same reason.

So good luck :D. I'm curious what's going to fill the massive void left behind.

Heh, I will try to not imagine any mobs of AH goers with Pitchforks and Torches as they descend upon my TL. Granted, I will likewise do all I can to depart from OTL so I can't be called on by OTL standards of plausibility.

Getting things for my next update ready. Hopefully later tonight, but I think the next most popular word for Persia will be: Tabaristan.

Also, if anyone has any good portraits of Byzantine Monks I would like to give Theophilus the Silent a face.

The question that comes to mind is - if you've eliminated Mohammad (and scattered his closest OTL followers) as a leader, who brings the Arabs together in a united enough body to matter?

Kosta

Banned
Getting things for my next update ready. Hopefully later tonight, but I think the next most popular word for Persia will be: Tabaristan.

Also, if anyone has any good portraits of Byzantine Monks I would like to give Theophilus the Silent a face.

What, you don't think to ask your Orthodox friend? What, do I mean nothing to you? Oy vey!
I'll see what I can do. Icons portraying monks from 600-700s might be kind of hard to think.

Not much to add at this point, just wanted to say it looks good so far, and I'll be following with interest.