Tales of the Shining Pearl

Tales of the Shining Pearl- A Magsaysay Lives TL

Hi! This is my second timeline, and I promise that it would be written well and has good research to begin with. Some of the happenings ITTL are based on my own experiences, and later on, I'll mix it with some fandom of mine. Enjoy!

PRESIDENT IN STABLE CONDITION AFTER SURGERIES

Manila Bulletin | March 18, 1957 by Manuel Araullo​

President Magsaysay’s condition is now stable, doctors said last night after hours of emergency surgeries for injuries sustained by the president after his plane crashed into a mountain in Cebu.

The President was found by local residents at dawn, still strapped to his seat, suffering second-degree burns to his body, and was transported down the mountain in which he was airlifted to Cebu, Governor Jose Briones said yesterday.

Investigators determined yesterday that President Magsaysay was seated further from the cockpit prior to the crash which apparently reduced the effect of the impact on him.

The plane took off from Lahug Airport at 1:00 PM and issued its last radio transmission at around 1:16 PM, and crashed a minute later into Mount Manunggal in Cebu, investigators and air traffic controllers said at dusk yesterday.

Nestor Mata, a reporter with the Philippine Herald and a passenger in the plane, was initially found alive inside the washroom, but died due to multiple injuries by noon, making Magsaysay the sole survivor of the crash.

A medical bulletin said Magsaysay “should be able to make decisions (in his capacity as President) by Sunday, certainly.”

Dr. Antonio Marasigan, chief of surgery and spokesman at Hospital del Sur, said that Magsaysay was alert before his surgery.

The plane was a Douglas C-47 Skytrain, named “Mt. Pinatubo”, a dormant volcano since the 14th century, and was to land to Nichols Field, Pasay City, carrying the president who was en route to a meeting in Malacanang.

250px-1957_Cebu_Douglas_C-47_crash_site.jpg

The crash site, Mt. Manunggal, Cebu

Last edited:

ZGradt

Banned
Ooh, nicely done so far.

Magsaysay increasing minimum wages for jobs, including the professional ones, will help stave off corruption (there will always be people who will be excessively greedy, but I'm sure you'll have a plan for them), and keep the police focused on their jobs instead of dabbling in politics.

I know by the 1960s, the Philippines was in good position to become Asia's strongest economy. What do you have in mind for Magsaysay keeping it that way? And you did mention a stronger Filipino military, does that mean Filipino battleships? Or carriers, that would be awesome!

Keep up the good work!

Magsaysay should to fix the government while still in office. He cannot be President forever. This will ensure that his successors won't screw up what he has build up already.

I don't know but, it sounds like an ASB shows up and decides to wank the shit out of the Philippines just 4 the lulz. Yet, it also seems a bit plausible. :confused:

Anyways, it's still interesting.

PS: Where are you getting your sources?

I don't know but, it sounds like an ASB shows up and decides to wank the shit out of the Philippines just 4 the lulz. Yet, it also seems a bit plausible. :confused:

Anyways, it's still interesting.

PS: Where are you getting your sources?

It's almost definitely ASB but hey it's his(her) TL. Let's just enjoy the ride. :D

The nukes? Definitely yes. The US won't allow us to develop one.

For the military, I imagine a much slower buildup and expansion. The same for economy because IMO, it's impossible for a rapid improvement to happen w/in Magsaysay's term. The most likely to happen is for his successors to build up from where he left off. A policy of continuity, for short.

For the landowner elite, I find it to weird that they easily gave up their lands for some company stocks. I actually expected an intense meetings between them and the government.

Well, those are just my opinions. This is still your story. And I still enjoy it.

It seems counterintuitive that the US will allow the Philippines to produce nukes when it would serve the same effect by being stored there, under US jurisdiction. This was the case for South Korea IOTL until 1991 and I doubt it wouldn't be in the Philippines.
It is notable to remember that when Park Chung-hee tried to develop nukes, the US found it almost immediately and coerced the government into destroying it. Even in the 80s when Chun requested a review over whether or not South Korea could have nukes it was immediately denied.

I really doubt we can be THAT good in Olympics. Reaching top 20 is already an impressive achievement. But to top the charts multiple times? It's like all our athletes took the same serum they injected into Steve Rogers.

The economic growth seems normal compare to otl especially those ranging from 7-10% which was already achieved within otl by quirino-magsaysay timeframe. This TL merely extended it.

Military wise even with increased tension, Philippines don't need 1M troops. It doesn't have geographical weakness of neighbor Rollin tanks. If there are tensions, what you would see is increased air and naval power, ballistic missile defense. Consider also that you compliment US power to this.

The land ownership is a pickle. The main problem of land ownership is education not necessarily ownership of land per se. Those demanding land is a form of legalized land grab from the landowners. Nor these people demanding land have the knowledge nor the capital to make land prosperous which could be disastrous for the country. If a person has the knowledge and knows how to solicit the capital, can easily buy that land or another set of land using normal business transactions rather than use public money for personal benefit. That is why Philippines otl today has put CARP in limbo since the lawmakers have realized that is mere form of land grabbing made legal and that money in CARP is better placed in money for education. Not only that, farming land is not the only way to make money. You can earn money without owning any land. That is why the problem is of education rather than land ownership. This land distribution system would have worked if the whole world is set pre industrial with no public education system but is not the case in your pod.

With regards to nuclear weapons, I believe this is plausible as long as timeframe is before 1968. A lot of time for a very close/very friendly American ally to acquire the tech. After that, the Americans will most likely not allow it.

Nice point, Namayan. So ok, I'll post more about the Cold War and then get to the elaboration of the education system and whatnot in the Philippines

Well the troops are for overseas commitments and squashing internal rebellions...

The others you've mentioned: already been written ITTL :)

Yeah, especially ITTL, China and the USSR are allies. Very big disparity there in terms of sheer size of their economies and manpower.

When I mentioned education, it address the land reform distribution in your TL. Land distribution would have a negative effect to the economy. Also, Land distribution means the government and people in your timeline relies only or mostly with agriculture as the only source of wealth.

With regards to military population, i disagree. 1 million military personnel is too much even if you have worldwide commitments for the size of the Philippines. The more advanced a nation the less military personnel you need due to automation and sophistication. I don't even think the UK in otl had 1M military personnel to cover otl Iraq war and all other wolrdwide commitments they had.

With regards to sports, more wealth doesn't equate better in sports. Also I don't find in character Filipinos to top Olympic medals. Even the 50s we didn't even dominate olympic even if we got medals. Since ussr still exists, it would be USSR dominating the Olympics.

You got a lot of kinks than needs ironing out in your timeline. In short, I don't think everything in your timeline about the Philippines can happen with pod of 1950s.