Those Other Books By George Orwell

JSmith

Banned
So there is a book review for a book about George Orwell in the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/b...omplex-personality.html?ref=georgeorwell&_r=0

In the review its mentioned that

"There are hints here, too, tantalizing but frustrating, of books Orwell had in mind but never got to write. In 1940, he mentions that “I am sort of incubating an enormous novel, the family saga sort of thing,” and, nine years later, talks of “a novel dealing with 1945 in my head now, but even if I survive to write it, I shouldn’t touch it before 1950.”
To his publisher Fredric Warburg, he confides in 1948 that “I have a stunning idea for a very short novel which has been in my head for years, but I can’t start anything until I am free from high temperatures, etc.”

So like Orwell always did -speculate :) What were these 3 books called and what were they about ? Are they required reads like Animal Farm and 1984 or not as good ?
book-articleInline.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad we know so little about his plans.

Sometimes, taking your secrets and ideas into the grave with you is not a good thing... :(

Too bad we know so little about his plans.

Sometimes, taking your secrets and ideas into the grave with you is not a good thing... :(
When it's known that an author actually had more works at least partly written, but that his/her papers were destroyed after (or even shortly before) his/her death, in my opinion it's even more frustrating...
For example, H. Beam Piper is thought to have burnt the manuscripts & notes for two or three partly-completed books just before he committed suicide. :(

Last edited:
When it's known that an author actually had more works at least partly written, but that his/her papers were destroyed after (or even shortly before) his/her death, in my opinion it's even more frustrating...
For example, H. Beam Piper is thought to have burnt the manuscripts & notes for two or three partly-completed books just before he committed suicide. :(

George Orwell was in the habit of doing that too, it seems - he claims to have written and subsequently destroyed two novels while in Paris.

Two might be A Smoking-Room Story and The Quick and the Dead (source). England half-English is supposedly the title of another "lost" Orwell piece, but I can't find a source for that (it's also the title of a song by Billy Bragg, and that's the only reference to said title I can find anywhere).

He was a decent novelist and a brilliant essayist. Suspect he would have improved as a novelist, given time, but that the real loss is the essays he never wrote.

JSmith

Banned
Thanks for the comments so far. I was actually looking for a more AH bemt to this question. I'm basically asking you to dream up titles and plots for these 3 novels that become as much a part of Orwell's oeuvre as Animal Farm and 1984.

JSmith

Banned
So I saw this cool letter and I thought about this thread . Any new thoughts?

A High School Student's Remarkable Letter To George Orwell

fdz7xumvqkczq6q7kveg.jpg
Mark Strauss

zrhjcbrjexiyfzephgiv.jpg

A Library of Congress contest invites young people to write letters to authors (living or deceased). The latest prize goes to Devi Acharya, who tells Orwell, "You shouldn't have published those books of yours under the guise of fiction — how could fiction be what's happening outside my very doorstep?"
Previous letters, written by students between the ages of 9 and 18, have been addressed to Ray Bradbury, Anne Frank, Dr. Seuss and Sharon Draper. The young people are encouraged to explain how the authors' books have affected their lives.
Here's Acharya's letter to George Orwell — a message from the perspective of someone growing up in the surveillance society of the 21st century:
You were right, you were right, you were right. I'm sorry I never saw it before, and I feel like an idiot, sitting here and penning this to you when you were so unspeakably right. You shouldn't have published those books of yours under the guise of fiction — how could fiction be what's happening outside my very doorstep! People get so worked up, angry at some imaginary oppressive tyrant when the very dystopias we fear and loathe are being built around us... Soon only the fortress, a bastion cutting down any hope of love or compassion, will remain, with every citizen gripped tight in the steely apathy of law.
I first read "Animal Farm" when I was young — too young to understand it. I thought of it as a humorous fable, nothing more. Every day I saw oppression — in the news, on the street, in my home. Every day I watched as underlings tried to rise above their rulers, getting drunk on power and imposing rule harsher than even that of previous tyrant... My eyes might have been as blind as those vacant stares about me, but to my credit I did observe. I watched people and places and motivations and reactions. I tried to piece my world together through the map you created.
Then came your work "1984." This piece was the key that turned the lock in my mind, allowing me to see that this was real, that vigilance was needed. I saw in my slovenly compatriots the face of Parsons, and in my fellow youth those trained only to follow orders and the herd under the guise of "teambuilding" and crafting "character." I saw the posing, the scare tactics, the hypes and hysteria. I saw the pain of real terrorism as it happened, and then saw the far more expansive, far more deadly panic and paranoia of imagined threats of terrorism.
Now what do I see when I dare to venture outside my tiny safe haven? Drones circling overhead. Cellphones that track every move; whose conversations are being recorded and analyzed indiscriminately for any sign of suspicion. More and more information has been released, telling evidence of our descent into dystopia — and yet people seem to become ever more complacent! Scandals blow up in a day and are gone the next. Disaster relief gets attention perhaps only a few months. People would much rather live in an era where superheroes and men with guns can solve all the problems in the world. And I must confess, I can't blame them for that.
I am not saying, sir, that I think that every aspect of society is awful and must be usurped, countermanded, destroyed. I love this world. That's why I want to protect it. I am saying (as you have always said) that people must always watch the world around them instead of drifting between obligations and pleasure, as so many do now. That's the reason I wrote this letter — to say (for it must be reiterated this one last time) that you were right. Right to write your books, right to do all that you have done to better the world. I, too, have begun my first steps in the world of writing, describing the world I see around me just as you did. I hope to be, just as you have been, an observer spinning my cautionary tales, and trying to help the world understand.
You are truly an inspiration. Your words will echo in this world for centuries to come.
Goodbye for now,
Devi Acharya
See all the letters at the Library of Congress.

exs3rio8uihmiure5z08.gif

Might have been more explicitly anti-capitalist?

I only bring this up because his earlier essays emphasized such, albeit from a different angle than others. Both 1984 and before it, Animal Farm, were primarily anti-statist, so a switch back to anti-capitalism may have been in the works, thematically speaking.

But otherwise... who knows.:(

Two might be A Smoking-Room Story and The Quick and the Dead (source). England half-English is supposedly the title of another "lost" Orwell piece, but I can't find a source for that (it's also the title of a song by Billy Bragg, and that's the only reference to said title I can find anywhere).

The Quick and the Dead was alternately titled The Lion and the Unicorn; it was to be "in three parts", and initially planned for publication in 1941, but other than that, I can't find anything on it.

A Smoking-Room Story was to be about an Englishman who used to serve in Burma, and there was another planned short novella on Burma. So, I'm going to go on and say that, had he lived, Orwell's next novel would have been one of these, a combination of them, or something else building on his colonialist experiences.

As a side note, I've heard it theorized that Animal Farm and 1984 were building toward a thematic trilogy, since they're connected through Orwell's reaction to Stalinism and Totalitarianism; since the former was about the making of a corrupt/totalitarian state, and the latter was about how such a state could perpetuate itself, it's been suggested that the next book would be about how such a state could fall. But that's just speculation, AFAICT...

JSmith

Banned
The Quick and the Dead was alternately titled The Lion and the Unicorn; it was to be "in three parts", and initially planned for publication in 1941, but other than that, I can't find anything on it.

A Smoking-Room Story was to be about an Englishman who used to serve in Burma, and there was another planned short novella on Burma. So, I'm going to go on and say that, had he lived, Orwell's next novel would have been one of these, a combination of them, or something else building on his colonialist experiences.

As a side note, I've heard it theorized that Animal Farm and 1984 were building toward a thematic trilogy, since they're connected through Orwell's reaction to Stalinism and Totalitarianism; since the former was about the making of a corrupt/totalitarian state, and the latter was about how such a state could perpetuate itself, it's been suggested that the next book would be about how such a state could fall. But that's just speculation, AFAICT...
Very interesting. I wish someone could give us a review of that work and how copies of it were dropped in the Soviet Union by NATO in the 1950's :p