Our Sacred Honour - British Intervention in the Russo-Japanese War

Westminster - October 23 - 1904

The Right Honourable Arthur Balfour, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was not having a Good Day.

To the Left of of him sat the Papers. The Sunday Times was characteristically restrained:

Royal Navy Destroyer Sunk by Russian Fleet

The Tabloids, to a man, had the words Russian, Murderers and Pirates scrawled across their front pages pages in various ways. One of them, a sister to one of the Evening Papers, simply read

War!

To his right, he had the Roll of Honour as printed in The Sunday Times: Ordered by Rank, Captain then First Mate, the listing winding it's way down the rank, neatly ordering those who died due to the work of Russian Gunnery (a thing which he had first questioned the existence of, given earlier debacles) for the Nation's perusal. A Separate list noted the Civilians killed.

On the other side of his desk sat a Civil Servant, awaiting his instructions.

As he saw it, he had two options:

1) Summon the Russian Ambassador, and declare War. He alone had that power.

They would win (of course,) but the Entente would be ruined, France outraged or even join with the Russians. By Default, Germany would grow stronger, getting contracts would otherwise be filled by British or French companies, as they would be otherwise engagement in War Production.

The Peace would be favorable, perhaps seizing Russia's Persian and Chinese concessions. Japan could have Manchuria. It would not likely be enough to make the war profitable.

However, it would guarantee him re-election.

2) Summon the Russian Ambassador, and accept the sizable remuneration and other concessions the Russians would offer to avoid war.

Cheap, profitable, perhaps even leverage the return of the Russian 'Second Pacific Squadron' to it's native Baltic. Keep France happy, help keep Germany down. On the face of it, a good move.

Political Suicide. The public wanted Russian blood, and he couldn't blame them.

There was another matter. The Russian Navy was the laughing stock of the world. And now it had sunk a Royal Naval vessel. The Weak bully the Weaker. If Russia sunk a Royal Naval vessel without the right retribution... Well then, the United Kingdom would be the laughing stock.

Both options were untenable: One, on the international level, one on the domestic.

And so, The Right Honourable Arthur Balfour, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, took the third option.

"Please Summon the French Ambassador"

So Dogger Bank goes even worse. I wonder how the Baltic Fleet has been able to sink only one isolated destroyer without getting decimated shortly afterwards?

TFSmith121

Banned
Intriguing, but yeah - this is my question as well?

So Dogger Bank goes even worse. I wonder how the Baltic Fleet has been able to sink only one isolated destroyer without getting decimated shortly afterwards?

Intriguing, but yeah - this is my question as well?

Perhaps some more detail will come...the British ship was working up? One of the 1903 River class would be about the right time frame.

I think the "captain" would be a commander.

Best,

France cant complain TOO desperately, as Russia just sunk an RN warship with no provocation whatsoever. Sure, theyre going to be mad at Britain, but they might just decide that Russia is too much of a loose cannon to ally with.

Sinking. A British. Warship. In the North Sea. When Britain is friendly.

What are they going to do next? Have a Cossack bodyguard attack civilians during a State visit to Berlin?

Before we Continue

This, I should mention, is my first Ahistorical work, for this site and otherwise. Expect mistakes, accidential ASB, Wankery and other mistakes. I have written before, yes, and that means I can tell you I will likely not finish it, and even if I do it will almost certainly not be in much detail.

The POD

Second: This is what happened OTL. The Russians were under the impression, due to a man under Russian employ in Copenhagen who was perfectly happy writing fiction for his pay, that a number of Japanese Torpedo boats were operating in the North Sea. The Russian Fleet, prior to this, had already negotiated a non-existent Japanese Minefield, and opened fire on 48 unique and harmless fishing vessels, one of them carrying Consular dispatches for the Russian Fleet. (They, of course, failed to hit it.)

The POD is slightly better Russian Naval Gunnery. More of these perfectly harmless vessels are sunk, already riling up the international press against the Russians.

As such, Elements of the Royal Navy are ordered to Shadow the Russians as they travel through the North Sea. Which results in the events of the Night leading to the 22nd of October: A Single British Destroyer happens on the Russian Baltic Fleet as it attacks the Trawlers at Dogger Bank, rushes to defend the UK's shipping, and is sunk for it's trouble.

Second: How on Earth did Russia managed to sink a Royal Navy Destroyer? Force Majeure I'm afraid. I don't know enough about the UK Home Fleet (and I have no idea how to find out more about it) or it's patrols on the night leading into the 22nd of October, or it's ship types to tell you the Ship's name, Class or Crew. Should I find out I will add more information.

Westminster - October 23 - 1904

The day of The Right Honourable Arthur Balfour, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, had not improved as such.

Fortunately, Parliament would not sit until tomorrow, although he was sure Prayer Cards were already marking places. But his must make his will clear by then.

Of course, one does not summon the French Ambassador, especially not Paul Cambon. One merely invites him for Lunch, apologizing profusely for the Criminally short notice.

The Morning was spent head hunched in the Cabinet office, Cabinet standing judge before a board of Military, Naval, Imperial, Intelligence and Civil Service Officials.

Could they beat Russia? Absolutely.
Could they sink the Russian Baltic Fleet? Easily.
Could they beat Russia and France? Yes.
Would they want to? No.
Because of Germany? Yes.
Could Japan beat Russia on it's own? Probably.
Would the War be profitable? Not Economically.

"But," The First Lord of the Admiralty, the 2nd Earl of Selborne, reiterated "This is not an Economic War. The Sacred Honour of the Royal Navy, the Sacred Honour of the Empire, has been sullied. This war would not be a war for War's sake: This would be a war for Honour's sake."

"War," intoned the new First Sea Lord, John Fisher, "is Violence. To Moderate our actions in response to an act of War would be imbecilic."

Would France join? No one knew.

Maps were dug out, and lists and ledgers were fetched: Naval, Military and Logistical resources were dug out, for the UK, France, Russia, Japan and even the Dutch. It was decided that France in the war would be a bother, that neither of them wanted. Could it be done? Yes.

But it would be counter-productive: An Alliance with Germany would not be done, could not be done, and so France must be kept in a position of Strength.

Russia, even with it's tenuous ally-of-an-ally relationship to the UK, was more a Rival, especially with the remnants of 'The Great Game' in Central Asia.

As of yet, the Gordian Knot remained tied.

They broke for Lunch.

"Mister Cambon. I should not need to inform you of the Importance of the Royal Navy."

Lunch had been pleasant enough, filled with the Automatic Small Talk of diplomacy. They had both neglected to bring their wives, and so a large portion of the meal was spent asking after them. Soon enough, however, the food was eaten, and business had begun., a while ago now.

"And I should not," he continued "Have to tell you of the importance of our Entente. Or of the threat of Germany."

Cambon was stalling for time.

"Be that it may, Mister Balfour." In his agitation, his accent slipped through a little more than normal. "France has her international obligations as we-"

With a perfunctory knock on the door, a Civil Servant entered, envelope in hand.

"Begging your Pardon Sirs. Message for the Ambassador."

Mr Cambon was not so undignified as to grab for it. He nearly was, though, but still had the presence of mind to dismiss the Civil Servant with a polite 'Thank you.'

He forced himself to use a letter opener, go through the polite motions. Then thirty seconds reading, then another thirty reading again.

He sagged back in his chair in relief.

"I will translate." He announced.

"The Alliance between France and Russia stipulates intervention in the event of an attack on France or Russia by Germany, Austria-Hungary or Italy, and mobilization if Germany, Austria-Hungary or Italy does so."

"In this matter, it is the position of the French Government to remain neutral in any Anglo-Russian War resulting from the Actions of October 21 and 22. However, the French Government requests restraint on the side of the United Kingdom, and reminds the Honourable Mr Balfour of the growing power of Germany."

Silence, for a second, two.

"Brandy?" The Right Honourable Arthur Balfour, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland offered.

Last edited:
Oh I like this TL.

"This war would not be a war for War's sake: This would be a war for Honour's sake."

Something people always seem to miss in TLs. Its very easy to reach for the 'logical' response to a situation, but politicians aren't governed by logic, they are governed by votes. And if they can get away with slapping Russia on the wrist without antagonising France too much they will take it.

I look forward to this.

Hnau

Banned
This looks like it'll be done very well. I'm looking forward to see what happens in Russia once revolutionary elements rise up in reaction to their defeat. Will the British want to remove the Tsar from absolute power? There is an opportunity to do so, as there are more than enough factions in 1905 that pushed hard for constitutional reform and the establishment of a parliamentary system. The British could decide that the Tsar is more of a liability than an asset and extend foreign support to the reformists, if not the revolutionaries. The hope would be that by helping these groups, Britain could create an ally once again out of Russia, instead of a new enemy.

Oh I like this TL.

Something people always seem to miss in TLs. Its very easy to reach for the 'logical' response to a situation, but politicians aren't governed by logic, they are governed by votes. And if they can get away with slapping Russia on the wrist without antagonising France too much they will take it.

Bingo! Although it may be more than a wrist slap: It's difficult to find information on Russian holdings that the UK can actually take, but if I can find them, the UK will take them if it can.

I look forward to this.

Woo!

This looks like it'll be done very well. I'm looking forward to see what happens in Russia once revolutionary elements rise up in reaction to their defeat. Will the British want to remove the Tsar from absolute power? There is an opportunity to do so, as there are more than enough factions in 1905 that pushed hard for constitutional reform and the establishment of a parliamentary system. The British could decide that the Tsar is more of a liability than an asset and extend foreign support to the reformists, if not the revolutionaries. The hope would be that by helping these groups, Britain could create an ally once again out of Russia, instead of a new enemy.

The UK isn't stupid enough to Land-Invade Russia: They're a Naval Power, not a Land one, even with the Indian Manpower behind them.

It seems to me though that the Tsars are Reactionary to the Core: They broke before they bent in OTL after all, and I think they will here as well.

And to be honest, reforming the Russian Government is a butterfly too many for me at the moment.

So no, the Tsars will Double-Down.

The First Sea Lord (by two days) is Jackie Fisher who does not give a damn about sacred honour and would not say such a thing.

OMG on the other hand or something like 'The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility'.

The Russian fleet has three immediate problems. The RN can sink it and will almost certainly be working up to do just that, with close observation from everything in the north sea and channel, which is now closed.

The ships are so overloaded that the most of the armour belt is below the waterline and they are in no condition to fight. They are running out of coal.

And after firing on the RN Germany is less likely to supply either coal or colliers whatever the outcome of the immediate fracas.

And a German decision to continue coaling is an actively hostile act against Britain now so much less likely.

The only consideration is how humiliating the climbdown is for Russia.

Admit to a mistake eat humble pie pay reparations ( which is OTL) and maybe the fleet can sail on if the Germans wan't to take the risk of driving Britain into an actively hostile position.

Turn for home and Port Arthur falls and there is a revolution.

Get sunk, have Russia blockaded and threatened with seaborne invasion at every point of the compass or at least you have to deploy troops against that eventuality.

Driftless

Donor
...(snip).......Will the British want to remove the Tsar from absolute power? There is an opportunity to do so, as there are more than enough factions in 1905 that pushed hard for constitutional reform and the establishment of a parliamentary system. The British could decide that the Tsar is more of a liability than an asset and extend foreign support to the reformists, if not the revolutionaries. The hope would be that by helping these groups, Britain could create an ally once again out of Russia, instead of a new enemy.

I would think most of the upper crust of British society of the era would be horrified at the thought of overthrowing the Tsar, no matter how much of a knucklehead he might be.

An interesting start. Only a small quibble: "can't ally with Germany"? It was a bit improbable at this point, but not (AIUI) impossible. Besides, changing alliances are a fact of life in international politics...

Will the British want to remove the Tsar from absolute power? There is an opportunity to do so, as there are more than enough factions in 1905 that pushed hard for constitutional reform and the establishment of a parliamentary system. The British could decide that the Tsar is more of a liability than an asset and extend foreign support to the reformists, if not the revolutionaries. The hope would be that by helping these groups, Britain could create an ally once again out of Russia, instead of a new enemy.

I don't think so.

The Tsar is a known quantity. The British know he didn't order the Baltic Fleet to attack them deliberately. They will address the slap in whatever way they must, but oversetting the Russian system is just too unpredictable. There were radical elements involved, and what if they should take over?

This will blow away the Anglo-Russian Convention of 1907, which is what relieved tensions between the two nations over Persian and Central Asia OTL.