WI: Gaming crash of 1983 kills the console industry

What if the Gaming Crash of 1983 (or Console Gaming crash) only gets worse. What if the failure of ET spooks enough people away from console gaming that Nintendo cancells the NES

Etto NES already exist in japan as famicom, so even if Nintendo got Cold feet and not bother, maybe even sega would try and maybe be sucesful for a while.

People overestimate what happened in 1983 'crash'(was more a bubble like dot com), that hapepened that too much consoles and little hardware and cosnole were pretty weak to run pc ports(when NES handled maniac mansion, did 5200 or intellvision would have run it?)

Gaming would leave in pc, maybe Nintendo would try better with SNES later, as the tech was more madurted or maybe sega fill the american niche as they being kicked in the balls so bad in japan?

Games are too big a thing, in all likelihood, it's probably not going to stop PC games at all. Looking at how large of a market it is in the present day outside of the US and Europe, I doubt this bubble burst is going to affect much. Still, with the way developers are churning out apps, do you think it's possible for a repeat of the crash in the present day, for mobile games?

IF consoles don't happen, PC takes the role of consoles.

I suspect this will happen within the next 10 years anyways.

If you want to be technical, the gaming crash of 1983 did kill the console industry (in North America). In order to get the NES into stores, Nintendo needed to use the Kyoto ROB to fool the people making the orders for those stores into thinking the NES was a toy, and not one of those video games consoles.

In the end, though, I think Nintendo still goes ahead and Trojan horses the Famicom into North America later in the 1980s.