Alternate State Names of the United States

Connected to Alternate Capitals of the US and Alternate Flags of the US (in Books and Media), can anyone give us ATL US States? If it's for an existing state but with other name, please give its OTL name. If its a non-existant state, please give the approximate area of it.

Thanks in advance!

Allegheny: OTL West Virginia + southwestern counties of Virginia + eastern Tennessee. The pro-Union movement was more successful in East Tennessee, leading to a movement to create a new state. However, as Congress didn't want to admit two new states at the same time, they merged East Tennessee with West Virginia.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
You might have had a Yazoo grow up East of Georgia (or is it in Eastern Georgia?)

A note should be made that the states there could have been divided up differently

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Ganonoa - upstate New York (from Cayuga Ganono-o)
Mesconsing - Wisconsin
Assiniboia - western Minnesota w/eastern Dakotas (old Red River Colony)

Jasen777

Donor
map.jpg

The residents of the Pacific Northwest originally wanted to call their state Columbia. Ultimately they decided upon Washington as their name.

You might have had a Yazoo grow up East of Georgia (or is it in Eastern Georgia?)

I assume you mean Western? Yazoo is a river in Mississippi.

Mesconsing - Wisconsin

The is one possible etymology, but it would require a POD well before the ARW. The river was already well known as Ouisconsin in French by then. It could have been spelled in other ways in English.

You might name it after other nearby bodies of water, though. (Michigan, Winnebago, Chippewa)

--

Wyoming's name comes from a place in Pennsylvania.

The etymology of Idaho is very difficult to figure and it's quite possible that someone just made it up. Shoshonia might have been a possible name for it.

The residents of the Pacific Northwest originally wanted to call their state Columbia. Ultimately they decided upon Washington as their name.
To avoid confusion with the District of Columbia, I think. Of course, they instead caused confusion with the name of the city in the District of Columbia...

Here is some of the states from my map that I am using for my timeline in A Thousand Earths
New Caledonia-British Columbia plus all Washington NW of the Columbia River.
Nuevo Mexico-New Mexico, Arizona and a piece of Nevada.
Fremont-Satschewan
Alyaska-Alaska
Rio Grande-All the Mexican departments immediately below Texas.

Colorado could be named Jefferson, after the territory that existed prior to the creation of the recognized Colorado territory.

The origin of the name of Idaho is something of a mystery. It could be anything. And also: the name Idaho was originally made up for what became the Colorado territory.

West Virginia: OTL Kentucky
Mississippi: Anything along the Mississippi (e.g. OTL Iowa)
Ohio: Anything along the Ohio (e.g. Indiana)
Washington: Anything just about anywhere