Who was the best American General of World War II?

Who was the best American General of World War II?

• Dwight D. Eisenhower

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Douglas MacArthur

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Omar Bradley

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Mark Clark

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • George S. Patton

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

sprite

Donor
I voted for 'other'. I mean, i thought this was an AH site.

General Joseph Steele (b. Dec 1878, b. Mar 1953)

The epitome of the American Dream, this immigrant from Imperial Russia rose to become the most successful General of his era and an hero to his adopted country.

Arriving with is family in New York in 1896, they soon moved to Michigan. Young Joseph soon realised he did not want to continue with his religious studies now he was in the land of opportunity.

Joining the army in 1897, he soon found action in the Spanish-American War. Displaying courage and valour in battle he won the Medal of Honor for his deeds. He gained a battlefield promotion to Second Lieutenant in 1899.

Whilst in Cuba, the young Steele became close friends with a colonel Theodore Roosevelt. It was a friendship which propelled the young immigrant on a course he count never have imagined studying theology in sleepy Tbilisi.

Following President Roosevelts declaration of war against the Central Powers in 1915, the newly minted Major Steele proved himself a hero in the battle of Ypres. A string of heroics throughout the war, with what some described as ‘presidential favour’ aided his advancement.

He was awarded the Medal of Honor in 1916 by the lame-duck President Roosevelt to howls of cronyism. Although not as close to the Clark administration Joseph Steele ended the war with the rank of Brigadier-General.

Following the war the General became a champion of reform within the armed forces. Due to his disfavour with the administration and his general abrasive nature his efforts were left largely unheard much like Billy Mitchell.

Although out of favour with the administrations of Clark, La Follette and Hoover, the general maintained a complex system of alliances with both politicians and fellow officers.

During the Dupont scandal of 1932 he quickly established himself as a reformer. He quickly established a series of trials which purged the army of its disloyal elements. His actions and general public approval led the administration to promote him to Major-General.

His vociferous opposition to the newly elected Chancellor Hitler was a major factor in the American declaration of war against the Axis powers in 1940. The same year he was promoted to General.

A man of direct action, the war allowed the general to direct all the energy he had been building up since the last war. Directing forces during the battle of Bordeaux, he was instrumental in turning back the German advance.

His actions during the war are well known; the stuff of legends, ending in Warsaw, with what would become the most iconic picture of the war, Soviet and Allied troops meeting over the Vistula in late 1943.

It’s widely believed that Steeles rabid anti-authoritarianism was the impetus for Bukhanins back down during the post war conference in Tripoli. With the Soviets hedged in, for the time begin; General Steele announced his retirement in late 1946, but not before overseeing the successful integration of the armed forces.

Although courted by both parties to run for president in 1948, the general stated he found fighting fellow Americans unpatriotic, even ideologically. This statement lead to the era of consensus politics for the next 25 years.

Joseph Steele died in Mar 1953, he was buried in his adopted hometown of St. Petersburg, Mo. He was survived by his daughter Holly.

sprite

Donor
I voted for 'other'. I mean, i thought this was an AH site.

General Joseph Steele (b. Dec 1878, b. Mar 1953)

stuff

I also have knocked out a rough presidential list.

would appreciate someone to knock holes through it and give me some ideas for Presidents from 1952-72

McKinley (R) 1896-1904
Theodore Roosevelt (R) (P) 1904-1916
Champ Clark (D) 1916-1924
La Follette (P) 1924-1928
Herbert Hoover (P) 1928-1932
Chase Osborn (R) 1932-1940
Cordell Hull (D) 1940-1944
Harold Ickes (D) 1944-1948
Dwight Eisenhower (P) 1948-1952
(I) 1952-1960
(I) 1960-1964
(I) 1964-1972

Eisenhower was a good coalition leader, but as far as military skills go I give my vote to Patton.

And Joe Steele? Turtledove already wrote a story about him.

Redbeard

Banned
I voted for Eisenhower, without him the alliance would have seriously risked falling apart, whereas the fieldcommanders should "just" do a steady job without blatant errors - and the war would be won.

In that context Patton had the potential of disaster, but he might have been an OK commander on German side, where they had everything to win and little to loose from daring moves.

Of the field commanders I would prefer Bradley: tough, reliable and focussed on the job - just the kind of general the allies needed.

Mark Clark had very high expectations resting on him but IMO failed the field test of taking the right decisions.

Macarthur should have been sacked after his strange dispositions on PI in 1941-42. The US success in the Pacific was more in spite of Macarthur and thanks to Nimitz, than it was due to Macarthur.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard

Banned
George C. Marshall

Kinda curious why he is not on this list

Marshall indeed did a fine job organising the US war effort, and an even better recconstructing Europe after the war, but it was mainly a more sensible Alanbrooke that kept him from entering a most likely disastrous invasion of France in 1943 or earlier.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Curtis LeMay. Changed the B-29 offensive from a duplicate of the semi-successful ETO campaign into the most effective & destructive campaign of any kind during the war.

Man burned Japan to the ground & destroyed its transportation and food delivery systems in just over 6 months. Post war created SAC through sheer force of personality.

On the down side: Damned lucky to have been on winning side since his tactics REALLY stretched the rules of warfare to their limits. Stunning lack of political tact.

Voted for Eisenhower for keeping the coalition together and riding herd on Montgomery and Patton, but for fighting general my vote would be Patton.

I voted for 'other' and that is "Vinegar"Joe Stillwell especially his outspokeness regarding Chiang-kai-Shek

Curtis LeMay. Changed the B-29 offensive from a duplicate of the semi-successful ETO campaign into the most effective & destructive campaign of any kind during the war.

Man burned Japan to the ground & destroyed its transportation and food delivery systems in just over 6 months. Post war created SAC through sheer force of personality.

On the down side: Damned lucky to have been on winning side since his tactics REALLY stretched the rules of warfare to their limits. Stunning lack of political tact.

I would disagree the Navy had to point a gun to LeMay and Hap Arnold's heads to get them to switch from area bombing to going after the railnet, bridges, etc.

Michael

I will have to vote for Gen. Patton as number one.

A close second is Gen. Bradley. That man's patience and coolness will always be overlooked. But a first rate General that is sometimes overshawdowed by Patton and Eisenhower.