I Shall Serve the Commonwealth: An Senator Romney TL

I Shall Serve the Commonwealth: An Senator Romney TL

10185334-large.jpg

Mitt Romney lost to Ted Kennedy in 1994, he is ready to give it another shot, this time the target is the senate seat currently occupied by John Kerry.

4306625.jpg

Mitt Romney to the Bosten Globe November 19, 1995
"This election must be about change and new ideas! We cannot vote for the same politicians year in and year out. If elected I shall only serve a maximum of two terms. Senator Kerry has been a good representative for Massachusetts these past 12 years, he is an honorable man but I believe that I can do a better job"

weld.184.1.jpg

Governor William Weld who were previously considering to challenge Kerry has declined to run and is citing the fact that Romney has entered the field "We should get behind the strongest candidate, and that candidate is Mitt Romney." According to insider sources Weld were under pressure from the Massachusetts Republican Party to stand aside for Romney.

4-John-Kerry.jpg

Kerry Approval rating 40% Approve 45% Disapprove
In a hypotetchical matchup Romney would beat Kerry by 1% 45%-44% 6% undecided according to a poll done by Boston Globe/WBZ-TV In the Democratic Primary Kerry has the lead and would beat potential challenger Representative Joseph P. Kennedy II by 65%-35%

Kerry: We have a long way to go until election night, I shall present my record of accomplishment to the great people of Massachusetts

Romney-Profile_Holm2-271x300.jpg

Romney at a campaign rally December 10, 1995
Romney slams Kerry in speech, calls him a creature of D.C!
"Together with Senator Kennedy Kerry has been an obstacle to progress in Washington, that is what happens when you stay to long!"

large_ted-kennedy-2.jpg

Ted Kennedy in a interview with the Boston Herald December 15, 1995
Calls Romney a "Vulture Capitalist" and says: "He has learned nothing since 1994, it looks like it will take two defeats in a row for him to give up his senate plans." When asked about the potential challenge to Kerry from his nephew Joseph P. Kennedy II he only commented: "His father were an great US senator and I believe that he would also make a great one, however this is a decision he must take on his own."
Kennedy offers no endorsments at this time, waiting to see what his nephew will do?

hqdefault.jpg

Kerry air ads portraying Romney as a "puppet" for the rich.
The Romney camp attack back by stating that John Kerry has done "nothing" to make lifes easier for working men and women.

images

Representative Joseph P. Kennedy II is set to make an very important "announcement" concerning "his future in the Commonwealth of Massaschuetts" on December 20th.

14-joseph-kennedy-ii-blog480.jpg

Joseph P. Kennedy II press conference December 20, 1995

I want to thank you all for being here today, I know that it is close to Christmas and that you all have presents to buy and family members to visit, so I will try to make this as fast as possible. During the recent weeks I have got dozens of calls from different individuals from all around Massachusetts, calling on me to challenge Senator Kerry. I have to confess that I have had problem deciding on what to do, what will be right for my family, my state and my country. But after alot of soul searching I have made a decision, I shall seek my party's nomination for the senate in 1996. Senator Kerry has done alot of good for our state, but I as well as others think that it is time for the torch to be passed!

Polls after the announcement have Kennedy closing the gap with Kerry 40%-60% for Kerry.
John Kerry: I belive that you shall earn your way trough life, not get it by having the right last name!

tumblr_locbipEYCw1qdvmpgo1_400.jpg
hkennedy.0.jpg

In a joint statement John F. Kennedy Jr and Ted Kennedy endorse Joseph P. Kennedy II and praises his moral and character, Ted Kennedy remarked: "With more guys like him in the senate we would actually get things to work!"

Kerry Camp says it is a great "blow" to "lose" the Ted Kennedy endorsement

Last edited:
I approve of Massachusetts timelines, and this will have obvious butterflies in the coming years if Kerry loses. Subscribed.

ap9411070122-e50b44201a5550951b4272704ab1f5b77a667f66-s800-c15.jpg

"I'm a Moderate, and I will wear it like a badage of honor!"
"It is not an easy thing to say these day, that you are an moderate, people like me have the chance to show that the Republican party is not only a party of Conservatives." Romney also reiterates his support for legal abortions:""I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard."

Pundits belive that this can make him a target for a conservative primary challenger.

082910-steven-piercejpg-96cebfe0ae3242b0_large.jpg

Former State Representative and 1990 gubernatorial candidate Stephen Pierce has announced that he will challenge Romney for the nomination. Pierce said: "Why should we have two Democrats on the ballot? There is no difference between Romney and Kerry. I will stand up for those who cannot protect themselves, the unborn. I will also stand up for conservative principles, In this day and age I believe that Massachusetts has never been in more need for some true principles and values!"

Despite all his though talk, Pierce would lose to Romney by a smashing 85%-15% according to a poll done by Boston Globe/WBZ-TV
Polls January 1th

Mitt Romney vs John Kerry 46%-44% Romney win
Mitt Romney vs Joseph P. Kennedy II 45%-47% Kennedy win

joseph_Kennedy.jpg

After the polls released on January 1th showed that Joe Kennedy II would defeat Romney in a hypothetical matchup liberals all over the Commonwealth began playing with the thought of having two Kennedy in the senate at the same time.

midnight-regulation-4.jpg

President Clinton at a press conference January 3, 1996

Clinton stands with Kerry!

Bill Clinton issued an statement were he endorsed John Kerry, he stated that:"John Kerry is one of the finest individuals in the senate, his ability to work across the aisle is legendary, I rely on that the great people of Massachusetts will give him a third term in November! He does not rule out campaigning with Kerry

Some pundits claim that the President overstated Kerry's abilities

kerry-john.jpg

9486991-small.jpg

Kerry-Kennedy to have a debate on Februari 1th on the Harvad University campus! It is spected to be very even.

Clinton endorsement made no change, John Kerry-Joseph P. Kennedy II 46%-45% 9% undecided.

friends1.png

Ad by the Romney Camp

With the help of Romney insiders an organisation named Swift Vets and POWs for Truth has been formed to oppose Kerry's reelection. The group claims that: "Kerry's phony war crimes charges, his exaggerated claims about his own service in Vietnam, and his deliberate misrepresentation of the nature and effectiveness of Swift boat operations compel us to step forward." It is hard to tell if the group will have any inpact on the election.

BobKerry.jpg

Kerrey to the rescue!

Fellow senator and Vietnam veteran Bob Kerrey of Nebraska slamed the group in a speech, calling them a bunch of liars and petty people and that their motives are truly political." He also tells Kerry to " Ignore them and they will go away." It is not clear at this point if Kerry will take his advice or not

10665507-large.jpg

Romney with reportes January 9th 1996

When asked about the Swiftboat ads Romney stated: "We feel that it is vital that the truth comes out, if Senator Kerry lied about what happened in Vietnam we need to know about this."

Opinion Dynamics of Cambridge poll 9th January
Will the it affect your vote if you knew that John Kerry did not speak the truth about ceratin details of his Vietnam experience?

Yes 38% No 60% Uncertain 2%

122312amcol2_512x288.jpg

Kerry delivers punchline, "At least I did serve!"
Senator Kerry interview:"I think that the people of the Commonwealth has alot more on their mind than something that allegedly happend 25 years ago! The working man does not care about his, he worries if he will be able to buy presents to his son on his birthday. We need to start talking about the issues, I feel that the debate has gone silly and too personal, but I can't help to react when Romney starts talking about my record on Vietnam, where is his record? He ran away to France when his country needed him the most."

Last edited:
This is long overdue.
I know! It's a very unique timeline so this should be very interesting as long as it doesn't jump the shark. I'm currently predicting Gore wins in 2000 which gives Senator Romney a chance take the 2004 Republican nomination.

I know! It's a very unique timeline so this should be very interesting as long as it doesn't jump the shark. I'm currently predicting Gore wins in 2000 which gives Senator Romney a chance take the 2004 Republican nomination.

Jumping the shark is easily done, unfortunately.

Hell maybe Romney is the Republican Nominee in 2000. That would be something.

Thanks for the feedback! :D If you have any suggestions I would be glad to hear them!

So far liking the story, especially Kerrey helping Kerry ;)

Maybe scree it through spell check though? I've noticed a few errors here and there, but not enough to make it unreadable.

So far liking the story, especially Kerrey helping Kerry ;)

Maybe scree it through spell check though? I've noticed a few errors here and there, but not enough to make it unreadable.

Thank you! I'm from Sweden so English ain't my first language, will try my best though ;)
But I will focus on spell check! :cool: