Nintendo's Dark horse bet.

Chapter 1
London Gatwick Airport, September 1998

Tim Stamper was not a happy man at this point. Stuck in customs with the only development kit in Europe for Nintendo's next-generation console, the N2000, known internally at Nintendo as the Dolphin, Tim was stuck while the customs inspectors tried to assess the value of the one-of-a-kind machine. The ink had barely dried between Nintendo, IBM and Silicon-Valley graphics startup ArtX, and this beige box was the earliest prototype of what the N2000 machine that was tentatively planned for an October 2000 release in Japan.

After what seemed like hours of back and forth between Tim Stamper and customs, he had somehow managed to convince them that it was a worthless non-working PC, and sent him on his way.

One of the most well-known studios that was making games for the Nintendo 64, Rare sat in a small village called Twycross. They first rose to prominence for making one of the most visually gorgeous games for the SNES, Donkey Kong Country as well as the arcade fighting game Killer Instinct. More recently, however, they had produced a first-person shooter for the N64 called Goldeneye 007, which, along with Half-Life on the PC had redefined the first person shooter genre.

More recently, however, Rare had shipped a game called Banjo Kazooie, the platformer starred a bear named Banjo and a bird named Kazooie who rode around in a backpack on Banjo's back. Perfect Dark, a sci-fi themed followup to Goldeneye had been supposed to ship that year, however, schedule slip and a frankly unrealistic timetable set by marketing had caused them to miss that release date.

This year, Rare was pushing hard to get the 3D follow-up to Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong 64, out the door, as well as the Third-Person Shooter Jet Force Gemini, and platformer Twelve Tales: Conker 64, who's lead character had made his debut 2 years ago in Diddy Kong Racing. Further down the road was the adventure games Dinosaur Planet and still in the early conceptual phase was Kameo: Elements of Power.

Walking in to Rare's offices with the priceless hardware, Tim Stamper took the opportunity to walk around the different development barns. Perfect Dark was slated for a winter release next year, but the ambitious project had already slipped on its release date once, it could easily happen again. Jet Force Gemini was on-track as well. Twelve Tales though... Conker's first appearance had been criticized for being too similar to Banjo and Mario, and the game was put on the back burner to be retooled after Donkey Kong 64 shipped.

Checking in on the Donkey Kong 64 barn, Tim Stamper was met by Chris Marlow, a programmer at Rare.

"I finally fucking did it Tim." Grinned Chris. "I fixed that memory expander bug." [1] This bug had recently cropped up for the DK64 team, for whatever reason, if the game was played on a console without the Expansion Pak, the game would lock up and crash and random times, Tim and Chris Stamper had even considered eating the cost and shipping an expansion pack with every copy of game. "There was an occlusion culling bug in the RSP stack that were causing memory leaks."

Tim was relieved this bug had been caught. Low-level bugs like this were hideously difficult to solve since they could manifest randomly or in different ways, so solving this was a huge relief for the Donkey Kong team.

--

Nintendo Prepares for its Fiercest Battle
Sony's Playstation came out of nowhere and basically stole the video game market with nary a true competitor in sight. If Nintendo wants its market back, it needs to make some dramatic changes to the way it does business. Though Sega fired the first shot in the upcoming next generation console wars with Dreamcast, Sony's PS2 announcement was a bombshell. What's Nintendo's next move?

If the rumored Game Boy connectivity turns out to be real, we could see the N2000 using the Game Boy Color as a way of continuing your game on the go. Play one level on the N2000, save it to your GBC, continue the game there, bring it back to the gamecube to pick up where you left off from the GBC. The other possibility is just to provide some extra information, like showing the dungeon map in a Zelda game orbiting able to pick football plays on the game boy screen without anybody seeing it.

"So, we’re recognizing that we can’t just do a certain genre of games," Howard Lincoln stated in an interview. It's about damn time they realized this. Nintendo alienated older gamers with an opening lineup of N64 games geared mainly toward the young. Although they've worked hard to fix their skewed targeting, N64 will ultimately forever remembered as being more the child's toy than the Playstation. Part of Playstation's success can be attributed to its being marketed toward a more adolescent and adult audience. With darker, more mature games and a strong line of sports titles, Sony captured the attention of gamers 18 years and older while Nintendo chased 6-12 year-olds.

- Geocities fansite, circa 1999

--

Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Retro Gaming Megathread: Finding new and exciting ways to electrocute ourselves.

My Uncle Who Works at Nintendo Posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about the expansion pack, the only game that actually requires it is Majora's Mask, and that game out pretty much at the end of the N64's lifecycle. It makes some games look nice, but for most of them, the difference between the two is pretty much unnoticeable.​

--

Unseen64 - Beta, Unreleased, and Cancelled Games

Perfect Dark [N64 – Cancelled]

Perfect Dark was originally slated to be released on the N64 in the fall of 1998, and then the fall of 1999, before it because a Gamecube launch title. This delayed it AGAIN when the Gamecube slipped from a fall 2000 release that would have been able to compete with the PS2's launch, to a 2001 launch competing head to head with Microsoft's Xbox.

Martin Hollis, the director of GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark, described the development of the game in an interview with Retro Gamer magazine. He explained that Rare rejected the prospect of working on the GoldenEye sequel Tomorrow Never Dies “without hesitation”, as the development team felt they had spent too much time immersed in the James Bond universe.

One of Hollis' goals for the game was to make the difference between light and dark a significant feature of the gameplay, and the title was intended to reflect this focus. Steve Ellis (responsible for much of the multiplayer mode in GoldenEye) had even managed to implement a flashlight into the game.

Looking at the gameplay videos of the cancelled N64 version, the framerate regularly dips into the single digits, compared to what we got on the Gamecube, it hardly looks like the same game.​

--

1: This is the POD: IOTL they were never able to fix this bug, forcing them to ship it with the expansion pack, which nintendo's marketing spun as the game being so big it could only be played with the expansion pack.

Interesting so DK64 issue fixed and Perfect Dark a GC launch title.

What happened to Sega?

As much as I'd like to save Sega, their exit from the console hardware business is too close to the POD to butterfly away, sadly.

As awesome as the Dreamcast was, it'll still get soundly thrashed by the juggernaut of a hype train that was the PS2 back then.

As much as I'd like to save Sega, their exit from the console hardware business is too close to the POD to butterfly away, sadly.

As awesome as the Dreamcast was, it'll still get soundly thrashed by the juggernaut of a hype train that was the PS2 back then.

More videogame timeline, my TL(and thande one) got the good effect to kickstart this area of interest, always love this one too.

Interesting the POD,but again with butterflies maybe Nintendo will not have moved majora to gamecube too? again is Nintendo and i will gladly but the expansion pak for zelda(as OTL).

Sega is doomed as OTL, but again several companies wanted to get sega(MS, Nintendo, others) and thse would be far better that Sammy.

Good Start fella, waiting for more

Sure, but referring more to whom are they supporting, and being bought by?

Ah, okay. I haven't really decided on Sega's fate yet. We could see Sega leave the console market to focus on Arcade titles where they're a lot stronger. But I wouldn't rule out "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games." being released in conjunction with the Torino Olympics.

Ah, okay. I haven't really decided on Sega's fate yet. We could see Sega leave the console market to focus on Arcade titles where they're a lot stronger. But I wouldn't rule out "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games." being released in conjunction with the Torino Olympics.

Again Butterflies, i think anyone except EA and Sony(they never care for sega and we knew how the dick EA was) would be far better that Sammy(who focused in rulling sega arcade salloon for expand their pachinko operations) so besides focus in Arcade, SEGA DNA is console, thus maybe Koei, Namco, Bandai, Nintendo or Microsoft would be better partners.

Is this thread dead, I sure hope not because it would be a petty if it was. There's too few video game threads out there.:(

Is this thread dead, I sure hope not because it would be a petty if it was. There's too few video game threads out there.:(

Damn i was excited with the bump too, well, just wait if the author comeback.
(See my timeline in my SIG :D )

No it's not dead, i've just been busy with other stuff, and I've been trying to find research material on what Sony was doing around this time. I have stuff on Microsoft, and Nintendo, but not on the big blue elephant in the room.

Ah life I understand you have one outside of this I'd make a thread myself if it were'int for the fact I'm to busy and my grammar sucks. Nivek I am already subscribed to Player Two Start awesome thread by the way. As for this thread I'd love to see a more succesful GameCube maybe in TTL it can have Perfect Dark and LoZ Majora's Mask as the killer apps? Maybe it can have the broadband adapter built in and Perfect Dark can have online multiplayer? Or it could use full size dvd's like the OTL Wii did? Would any of that help it any? Because the GameCube is my favorite Nintendo Console aside from there handhelds.

Last edited:
No it's not dead, i've just been busy with other stuff, and I've been trying to find research material on what Sony was doing around this time. I have stuff on Microsoft, and Nintendo, but not on the big blue elephant in the room.

Sony is Sony, i was doing a TL in the same time period and remember, even if sony goes early gen glory,they're not invencible, if you can stand well and won the proper exclusive and port, you can start to slowly won market share, just you have to do all the perfect moves or sony make a big mistake.

So if ceteris paribus for Sony, Nintendo being more aggresive and maybe MS too(moneyhats) would stole some good number for sony.

Sony is Sony, i was doing a TL in the same time period and remember, even if sony goes early gen glory,they're not invencible, if you can stand well and won the proper exclusive and port, you can start to slowly won market share, just you have to do all the perfect moves or sony make a big mistake.

So if ceteris paribus for Sony, Nintendo being more aggresive and maybe MS too(moneyhats) would stole some good number for sony.

Microsoft's development of the Xbox will happen as per IOTL. But once it's released and it's butting heads with Perfect Dark, means much more aggressive competition.

As far as Majora's Mask goes, well you'll just have to wait and see. I will say that Perfect Dark being a gamecube launch title just might have an effect on what spaceworld demos nintendo shows in 2000, and maybe a certain demo render won't be shown then.

Microsoft's development of the Xbox will happen as per IOTL. But once it's released and it's butting heads with Perfect Dark, means much more aggressive competition.

As far as Majora's Mask goes, well you'll just have to wait and see. I will say that Perfect Dark being a gamecube launch title just might have an effect on what spaceworld demos nintendo shows in 2000, and maybe a certain demo render won't be shown then.

Exactly with MS, if both Halo and PD become the killers app(both would score 7 Millon each, maybe evne 5 vs 5 millon as both are rivals in the same genre and theme). would show MS they need a good team and marque, and was certain company facing bankrupt at time.....

UMMM, THAT IS A GOOD TEASE FELLA, show me how will unfold, waiting for next update

So any luck on finding out what Sony was up to in the early 2000's? Aside from dominating the video game market at the time.

So any luck on finding out what Sony was up to in the early 2000's? Aside from dominating the video game market at the time.

Their Masterplan was something like a 'home theather console', something they later do in a way http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(video_game_console) but highprice and lack of interest never make it sucessful and when they try with PS3...well almost was a dud before being saved burning millions.

Sony is Sony, just focus in good game and get exclusive and you'll be able to see the emperor naked(sony)

Actually believe it or not Nintendo and Panasonic tried something similar with the Panasonic Q with similar results. That said it's been more then a month since we have heard anything from the OP...

Chapter 2
19 Video Games that Almost Existed. - Buzzfeed.com

19. Untitled Metroid Third Person Shooter. - Before collapsing in an orgy of hedonism and embezzlement, Retro Studios had been working on a Third Person shooter in the Metroid universe, would have been Samus Aran’s debut onto 3D consoles.

7. Star Fox: Dinosaur Planet - At one point, Nintendo was considering turning Rare’s cult-classic N64 game Dinosaur Planet into a Star Fox game. The Star Fox version would have had Fox McCloud replacing the main character of Sabre.

Say Hello to Project Dolphin. - IGN64.com, May 4th, 1999

BY IGN STAFF-IGN64 has learned that Nintendo's next-generation hardware, commonly referred to by the press as "N2000," is officially being called "Project Dolphin" (codename only) internally at Nintendo. The machine, which is still scheduled for a 2000/2001 release, will feature powerful graphics hardware comparable to that seen in PlayStation 2.

"Management is claiming better graphics than the PSX2," a Nintendo insider told IGN64. "And supposedly it will run on DVD, but that's still a big maybe at this point."

According to the source, four companies already have development kits and have begun making software for the Dolphin. Those companies are Rare, Retro Studios, EAD and Nintendo of America's local studios NST.

"The buzz is that the system is a lot easier to program for than the Nintendo 64," said the Nintendo source who wishes to remain anonymous. "And it appears Art-X [the system's graphics chip provider] managed to slap out a nasty chipset for pretty cheap."

Meanwhile, Nintendo is still keeping extremely quiet on the specifics of the hardware and isn't expected to announce anything in regards to the system at E3 in less than two weeks.

IGN64 will have more on the story soon.

HEAVENLY HALO ANNOUNCED FROM BUNGIE - IGN.com, July 21st, 1999
At MacWorld today, Bungie software and Steve Jobs finally revealed was all the buzz was about -- Halo, a third-person action/adventure title that brings new meaning to the words "fantastic." Set on a ring-shaped world deep in space, you play a soldier who must take on enemies over land, sea and air, using everything from swords to weaponry, your feet to planes and tanks. The single-player game will be augmented by a role-based multiplayer game as well, including "skills, strategies, vehicles and weapons." It just keeps getting better.

Unfortunately, though we do know that the game will get a simultaneous PC/Mac release sometime in the middle of next year, they've only released a taste of the plot, and one (yes, ONE) screenshot.
0uZo3rX.jpg

Playstation 2 Timeline - Steven L. Kent - Gamespy.com - Feb. 18, 2004.

March 2nd: Sony unveils the unnamed follow-up console for the PlayStation.

Sony conducted this unveiling in true industry-leader fashion. Held in a lavish Tokyo concert hall, the event was attended by 1,500 journalists, analysts, and game industry notables from around the world. Soon-to-retire Sony President Norio Ohga spoke, as did his successor, Nobuyuki Idei.

Sony Computer Entertainment President Teruhisa Tokunaga, who soon would be promoted to Sony's general board, spoke. So did Ken Kutaragi, then the vice president and acknowledged father of the PlayStation.

At this point, Sony had shipped 50 million PlayStation consoles and sold more than 430 million PlayStation games.

It was during this meeting that Kutaragi introduced the name "Emotion Engine." He confirmed that the unit would be backwards compatible.

May 11th: Sony formally presents its "second-generation PlayStation" at E3.

A few details are added to the presentation Kutaragi made in Japan, but not much. The unit is not playable.

-

”Was it stressful? You bet it was. Between working at Rare trying to finish Perfect Dark so it would take advantage of the GameCube, and then as soon as I got home, I’d be on the phone with Nintendo in Seattle, where they were just starting their day, and helping them design the hardware that we were developing the game for. - Martin Hollis, “IAMA Martin Hollis, lead developer for Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark, ask me anything.” Reddit.com, June 18th, 2014

"I think one of my favorite memories in college were the Combat Simulator matches of Perfect Dark in our dorm. So many people would crowd around the TV's and Gamecube's the common rooms that we'd be surprised when the sun came up.

And then all of a sudden the network adapter came out."
NeoGAF.com thread "Favorite video game memories?"

---

I'd like to preemptively apologize to any Metroid Prime fans in the room.

Damn you Monster, Killed Metroid Prime and Retro, that was just...... DAMN. Well, Retro Studios fortune were a miracle as the article say it, seems here miyamoto was not impressed and literaly give the 'kiss of death' after giving the metroid ip to play. But Dinosaur Planet being fully made(Here as Dolphin Title as OTL? or keep in N64)

So Halo is now an Apple IP? that means Xbox is a great danger, Halo avoid being theing being a footnote and if Rare FPS/free radical team is helping with dolphin, so PD have Internet/LAN code by default? if they can push to make it standart or bundled it massively, would work perfectly to push online.

Remember Battlefield would have been Gamecube exclusive(and DICE maybe internailzed by nintnedo, remplacing retro here?) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32811641 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28480/battlefield-could-have-been-exclusive-to-gamecube

What will be of SEGA here?