The Man from Sao Paulo - Senna to Williams in 1992

1 - 1991-1992 - F1 Japan & South Africa
In an evening filled with celebration of his third World Drivers’ Championship, Ayrton Senna was jubilant on the outside, but inside he was wavering between joy, concern, and betrayal. He had been learning over the weekend that the rumors that Honda CEO Nobuhiko Kawamoto was planning on removing his company from Formula One were increasingly likely, and was annoyed that his sense of loyalty was being manipulated when he was the one about to be left in the lurch. Between the smiles, and thanks for support, he started to plan out his offseason, and where he would be in the paddock come Kyalami the next year.
Whatever he felt about the rumors, Ayrton knew that he had much to be thankful for with his time with Honda, both at Lotus and McLaren. Without those two teams and Honda engines, he would never have reached the heights he had over such a small span of time. No-one since Fangio won three titles in four years, and that legend won all four, yet Fangio won his five with four different teams, being willing to move to whoever gave him the best chance. Do they belittle him now? No. Ayrton knew he was capable of a graceful exit, even if it was towards the great rival of Williams. The only thing that worried him was how he would go from having the sort of teammate and friend that Gerhard Berger had become, to Nigel Mansell. Nigel, the man who swung at him nearly five years ago at Spa but gave him a ride back to the paddock just a few months ago. In hindsight, Spa was a purely racing incident; the two most aggressive drivers at the top of the field were bound to clash. Still, things weren’t exactly ideal between the two of them, and the following years might be a mess, better to go in ready for anything.

“It’s time for a change. McLaren and Honda were very good to me, but after four amazing years, I’m ready for something new.” – Ayrton Senna to reporters after a Williams team member leaked the signing for the 1992-1994 seasons.

“At least he’s not Prost. Where is he today, as Ferrari sacked him? Did he even get a ticket for the race?” –Nigel Mansell on hearing of Senna’s signing.

Mansell was both irritated and relieved, knowing that one of the professional nemeses in his racing career was to be his teammate instead of the disasters of Piquet and Prost. What bothered him most was that Senna’s contract demanded equal treatment amongst the team, something that he couldn’t fight as Ayrton was reigning champion, having won three of the previous four seasons – and could have swept the four had it not been for the meddling of Alain Prost. With the two best drivers on the same team, with the same world-beating car, there’d be no excuses for a lack of success. Nigel wanted to win the championship, and he wasn’t getting any younger at the age of 38, he didn’t have much time left before age dulled his abilities against a Senna in his prime.

“What the Hell?!?” Alain Prost yelled after checking his answering machine and getting the news of Senna’s three-year contract at Williams, “Where am I going to go next year? Can I get a ride anywhere?” What followed next was profane and unintelligible, and Prost could not be consoled with the fact that a three-time champion could get a ride with someone, he just wanted to be in a position to win. Maybe Benetton would have him, but Alain wasn’t content with the idea of fighting for “best of the rest,” in what would inevitably be his last season in top-tier racing. He decided to give the season a few months, but he knew his chances of getting a contract with a team that could get him another championship had just taken a shot to the heart. Unless a miracle happened with the Benetton, or McLaren somehow wanted him back, there was no room for even a three-time world champion in a competitive car.

“Okay, got it. Thanks, take care, bye.” Michael Andretti put down the phone, his face downcast as he found out the reasoning behind Ayrton Senna’s abrupt departure from McLaren. Honda was pulling out at the end of 1992, and there was no supplier lined up for 1993. With Mansell as his teammate, Williams would be dominant for at least one season, if not longer, and both of their cars were occupied. He missed his chance, and should have pressed for a ride earlier this season, but Andretti had been too busy fighting his way to an IndyCar championship to distract himself. He knew now, McLaren would likely only find a customer engine from another top team, but an update or two behind, and he didn’t want to embarrass himself or his name risking scrapping in the mid-pack. Now, his sights were set on making the most of the next two seasons in IndyCar, and deepening his network of contacts in Europe. Perhaps his father could provide some more advice, but he hadn’t raced in F1 for a decade. The turbo era had come and gone, and the technology there was several years ahead of IndyCar, and it was obvious that much had changed through the 1980’s.

“The odds-on favorite for the Constructers’ Championship for 1992 is without a doubt Williams-Renault; their lineup alone is enough eyes up and down the paddock to weep into their drinks. Rumors of the improvements made to the Williams cars further darken their mood.” –BBC Sport, 23 February 1992.

On his first day in the Williams headquarters after arriving in Grove, Ayrton Senna was given the ground tour, introducing himself to everyone from his race weekend mechanic team, down to the technicians fabricating the aerodynamic elements on Adrian Newey’s latest designs. Unlike his first days with Toleman, or even Lotus and McLaren, he came as a champion, not another challenger, and he knew he was the face of a large undertaking. The meeting which he was most apprehensive about was the one with Nigel, now that they were wearing the same colors and working out of the same garage. Ominously, he found Nigel in the corner of the garage where nobody else was at the moment. Now or never, thought Ayrton.
“The two of us, Frank, and Adrian. Who’s going to be best of the rest?” He said with a grin. “Gerhard, Riccardo, or Jean, right?”
“Between those three, it won’t be Jean, you didn’t see from the inside the decay on the walls at Ferrari in ‘90, and from what we’ve seen last year, do you really think they can come back that far by this year?” Nigel said, merely glad for a better icebreaker than a taunt. “Between McLaren, I don’t know, but they’ll be within ten points either way. What about you?”
“I’ll take Berger inside ten points, though Schumacher might be in the picture. Did you notice he’d scored in every race he finished? He’s quick.” Senna replied.
“Could he be a contender this year, maybe. If he keeps it up, he’ll be a race winner someday, I’ll give you that. So where does that leave us, scrapping over the title? I see Frank’s got you as enthusiastic about our chances as I do, eh?” Nigel matched grin for grin, no boasting yet about him, just us. If it’s going to be rocky, it ought to start soon.
“If I hadn’t pushed Honda to upgrade the engine towards the end of last year, you’d be the champion, not I. Either way, it was great watching Prost get sacked last year, and now he’s not inflicting himself on some team at all! I take it you had as good a time with him as I did, what do you think he’ll do now?” Senna’s grin grew a little wider, if there was safe ground, this would be it.
“Oh yes, the schadenfreude is rather delicious when it comes to him, no? Who knows, I heard he might want to come back here next year, but I do believe you irked him a little more than I did, so Frank won’t have to make that call as long as you’re racing for him. As far as he goes, to hell with him. If he doesn’t find a team next year, he’ll probably retire. As far as last year, we at Grove thought we had a chance, but then you found your form again, quite the tease. This year we have no-one to blame but you and I.” Nigel was less and less worried by the second, and was starting to relax a little, but now for confirmation of either hope or fear, “When I heard you demanded only equal treatment in your contract, are you set on that? I don’t want a repeat of 1990, and as long as the balance is level, it’s not ideal for me, but I can take a swing at it.”
Ayrton assumed that would be bothering him, and decided to be blunt but honest, “Yeah. I don’t want any excuses if I win, and I don’t want to have any if you do. We leave it on the track, right? We’ve both lived through Prost, why recreate it here? Let the best man win.”
“Well put. We have a deal.” Nigel extended his hand, and Senna shook it. The engineers eavesdropping from the other corner of the garage all sighed with relief.

Round One: Yellow Pages South African Grand Prix - 01 March 1992 – Kyalami

Gerhard Berger was still adjusting to life outside of the direct shadow of his former teammate, wondering how he would get on with the experienced Riccardo Patrese at McLaren. The mood was not optimistic in the garage, without Senna’s intense willpower and focus, the team knew it would have a hard fight just to reach second in the championship. He could tell that McLaren’s spot atop the order had fallen quickly, with the evolving Williams beasts and Adrian Newey’s designs. The human element was different as well. Instead of a teammate always of the appearance of clutching a live wire, Patrese was relaxed and confident, with the instincts still intact, but not the brutal intensity. There would be no conflicts as long as there was technical parity, but something would be missing. Berger wondered how that would translate over the season, watching the McLarens struggle to make it on the podium, alongside a man whom, at the surface, seemed too at peace to be bothered by reality.
As the racing media expected, what was to be a season reminiscent of the 1988-1989 seasons with the Prost-Senna pairing at McLaren kicked off with the FW14B’s debut in the hands of Mansell and Senna. Qualifying at the Kyalami track was a straightforward affair, with Senna edging Mansell for the pole by a little over a tenth, and Gerhard Berger’s McLaren had to be content with starting third with a time over a full second behind pole. Fans in South Africa were thrilled to start the season at their own track, as it was the first event in seven years due to the FIA ban in response to Apartheid. With segregation ended, the racing resumed.
Their attentions quickly shifted down the order after the start of the race. Senna and Mansell got off to a fast start, gapping the field immediately and leading by a full ten seconds by the end of the sixth lap, with the McLarens of Berger and Parties dogged by Michael Schumacher’s Benetton and Alesi’s Ferrari. As the race wore on and attrition took its toll, Mansell passed his teammate during pit stops, and managed to stay ahead due to greater familiarity with the FW14 on worn tires. Senna managed to close within five seconds by the end, but after the first round of stops, it was Mansell’s race. Schumacher proved to be a shock to all on his first start at the Kyalami track, and taking his maiden podium with third, followed by Berger, Patrese, and Capelli’s Ferrari.

Points after one race:
Drivers’: Constructors’:
Mansell – 10 Williams – 16
Senna - 6 McLaren – 5
Schumacher – 4 Benetton – 4
Berger – 3 Ferrari – 1
Patrese – 2
Capelli - 1

file:///C:/Users/Sean/Documents/The...yrton Senna to Williams in 1992.docx#_ednref1 POD in the Formula One side of this story. Senna takes the opportunity to race for Williams two years early, and the resultant changes to the lineup are: Ferrari replaces Prost with Capelli, McLaren and Williams swap Senna for Patrese, and Benetton replaces the retired Piquet with Brundle. OTL, Senna stayed with McLaren-Honda out of loyalty, wanting to take the next chance to move to Williams. Due to Prost’s return in 1993 with a No-Senna contract stipulation, Senna had to wait until 1994 to drive for Williams-Renault.

Archibald

Banned
A Formula 1 TL -how nice. They are too rare. Senna and Mansell in the same team ? aye. Going to be fun. :D

A Formula 1 TL -how nice. They are too rare. Senna and Mansell in the same team ? aye. Going to be fun. :D

Thanks. It won't just be F1 either ;) , (hinted at with the Andretti paragraph.) The butterflies from this move, plus a seemingly very minor POD in April 1992 will have massive butterflies in American motorsports. The US part of it won't be felt until the 1993 season, though.

2 - 1992 - F1 Mexico & Brazil
Next two races.

Round Two: XV Gran Premio de Mexico – 22 March 1992 – Hermanos Rodriguez

Before the teams were set to hop across the Atlantic for the first time in the season, Michael Schumacher was enjoying a pickup game of football in his hometown of Kerpen, keeping himself training while playing midfield and striker. Occasionally, his mind would lapse at thoughts of the following races, and he was pleased with where Benetton was putting him this season. With only one race completed, it was evident that at least for the next month or two, his team would have a slight advantage over McLaren, putting him in the catbird seat should both Williams’ drivers stumble. It was an odd place to be, so near to the front, yet so far away. There was little he could do in the face of the blue and yellow dominance, yet he could start to make it plain that eventually, he would start winning, not just a race or two, but several a season. Martin Brundle was a professional. His underrated talent pushed Michael hard through the winter months, and he likely would throughout the season. He too, may become a winner over the next few years, but Michael knew he himself could be during this one.

His focus coming back to the game, he started to push himself harder. With nothing at stake but pride and bragging rights, it didn’t matter. He was playing to keep in the finest shape possible, and would need the strength and speed if he were to make the most of his slim chances to stand atop the podium.

After a dull Williams domination at the first round, hopes were that the Mexican Grand Prix would be a closer race, with the McLarens having a more respectable showing. In qualifying, the mutterings across the paddock continued as the Williams’ advantages remained daunting for the rest of the grid. Senna took his second pole of the season, with Mansell locking out the front row for Williams-Renault. Benetton showed that their rise was at McLaren’s expense, with Schumacher and Brundle both ahead of either McLaren. Worst of all, the factory Ferrari team was edged out by both customer-engined Dallaras. The Maranello men were already starting to worry about falling further behind in the early part of the season, but they still hadn’t worked out the gremlins from their engine.

On race day, the Williams drivers tore off into the distance, adding nearly a second a lap ahead of the Benettons. Before the first round of stops, Berger and Brundle dueled for fourth, with Patrese ready to pounce in case either stumbled. Neither did, however the mechanical Grim Reaper claimed Berger’s gearbox at an inopportune time, and gave Brundle a two second advantage over the pursuing Patrese. Unfortunately, this wasn’t to last the race, as his engine failed twelve laps later.

Back at the front, the Williams duel intensified after the first round of stops, with Senna barely retaining the lead after everyone cycled through, with Schumacher fifteen seconds back in third. Mansell knew that with Senna out front, he could push himself into a mistake, but he himself would be ineffective at the pushing. However, the FW14B was not the McLarens Senna was used to driving, and increased his lead to three seconds after the second round of stops, with Schumacher static at twenty seconds back. That is how the top three would finish, followed by Patrese and the two Lotuses of Hakkinen and Herbert.

Round Three: Grande Prêmo do Brasil – 05 April 1992 – Interlagos

Jean Alesi was still kicking himself over his decision against signing with Williams for the start of the last season. He would be now in a serious fight with whoever the team kept on this year, but he could already see how far off pace his F92 was, and he knew it would be a long season, with more long seasons to go until things came together at Maranello. What is a man to do but do the best with what he has on hand? Privately, Ivan Capelli had taken him aside and said he’d be shocked if they could get twenty-five points out of the year, less than half the 1991 total, and nearly as much as Jean himself could pull in. Ivan had a point, though, as the design made it horrible to drive, and the reliability was so lacking that even twenty-five points may be generous. With Williams already at thirty-two, neither driver had hope. Still, if he didn’t press on, he might be out of a seat for next year, and then where would he be? Jordan? Tyrell again? Lotus? All teams either too young to contend or slipping into the grave. No, the only way out was to succeed.

For the first time in his Formula One career, Ayrton Senna came into his home race as the venue’s defending champion. The combination of this, and the number one on the nose of his car bode poorly for the rest of the field. He set pole with eight tenths of a second to spare over Mansell, and left the track to take the easy commute to his family’s mansion after meditating in the paddock. The burdens were off his shoulders here, so, with Frank Williams’ prior approval, he left the track only minutes after the session was complete.

Throughout the entire race from lights to checkered flag, Senna gave a performance like no other; there was no challenge from even Mansell. The Grand Slam was his 5th, tying Ascari, and was his first since the 1990 race at Monza. He finished at Interlagos a lap ahead of everyone but his teammate, and over half a lap ahead of Mansell himself. Again, Schumacher rounded out the podium, his third straight on the bottom step, and the lockout by himself, Senna, and Mansell continued into April, nearly a minute behind Mansell and nearly in danger of being lapped twice, but otherwise drove a quiet, uneventful race, staying several seconds ahead of his other rivals. Patrese won a well-fought duel with Ferrari’s Jean Alesi, a race Alesi pushed to the edge again and again, however Patrese’s experience paid off, with the McLaren keeping fresher tires longer into stints, whereas the Ferrari lost grip too soon to make a move stick. Despite falling two laps down, Gianni Morbidelli was content to find himself bringing a point home for Minardi at the end of the day, having the luck to stay ahead of Hakkinen after pit stops to hold on from the young, charging Finn.

In the post race interview, his hypnotic voice and cadence, long familiar to the motorsport press, wasn’t surprised to hear him say, “Everything came together today, all I saw was the track, and the cars. It didn’t matter how the car handled a particular corner, I just felt it and reacted, and kept going. The only time I really took my mind off that was when the radio came on. They know now not to call so much when I’m focused.” Both Mansell and Schumacher were not amused.

Points after three races:
Drivers’:
Senna – 26
Mansell – 22
Schumacher - 12
Patrese – 8
Berger – 3
Hakkinen & Alesi – 2
Capelli, Herbert & Morbidelli – 1

Constructors’:
Williams – 48
Benetton - 12
McLaren - 11
Lotus & Ferrari – 3
Minardi - 1

Archibald

Banned
I just realized there was a very high concentration of F1 world champions, past, present and future (spanning over two decades or so)
I like Senna and Mansell armistice against Prost. Perhaps Prost could come back for McLaren the next year ? (since Williams and Ferrari are out of question, for obvious reasons)

I just realized there was a very high concentration of F1 world champions, past, present and future (spanning over two decades or so)
I like Senna and Mansell armistice against Prost. Perhaps Prost could come back for McLaren the next year ? (since Williams and Ferrari are out of question, for obvious reasons)

The 93 McLaren was only competitive because there a magician driving it. Prost would never join the McLaren team if they were stuck with Ford over the counter engines. Now if Mercedes were to team up with McLaren earlier...

nice to see a timeline about one of my heroes, i'm subscribing this :)
shame this focuses on a period when my beloved Ferrari was lame to say the least, but maybe this Williams dominance that seems even greater than in OTL may swap cards on this subject as well.

The thing about the MP4/8 was that it was a catch-22. OTL, Senna's high 1993 salary was a significant factor that McLaren didn't have the money to perfect their active suspension and other electronics. Putting anyone who'd demand a high salary in McLaren at this point actually hurts the MP4/8's performance, as they're not as far along as Williams, and the Ford V8 isn't exactly a threat. Prost's decision has already been written, but it'll come out on the weekend of the Italian GP update. You'll just have to wait and see.

The 93 McLaren was only competitive because there a magician driving it. Prost would never join the McLaren team if they were stuck with Ford over the counter engines. Now if Mercedes were to team up with McLaren earlier...

THAT would have required a POD much earlier, and would have meant losing the Honda engines when they were world-beaters. When I was thinking about F1 POD's, that did pop into my mind, but with Mercedes coming in as a works team once the turbo era ended.

Now, if they could have got the Lambo V-12 for '92 or '93, instead of testing it for '94 and going Peugeot, that would have been interesting. I'm still debating where I want the butterflies to take that engine.

nice to see a timeline about one of my heroes, i'm subscribing this :)
shame this focuses on a period when my beloved Ferrari was lame to say the least, but maybe this Williams dominance that seems even greater than in OTL may swap cards on this subject as well.

Ferrari in those years... *facepalm* Those were rough to be tifosi.

Nice for Prost. :rolleyes: He isn't exactly a bad driver either...

No disagreement there, yet the quality MP4/8 pretty much demanded a driver that would race for wins if there was the tiniest chance if the driver wanted to contend for the WDC.

3 - 1992 - IndyCar Long Beach & F1 Spain
Indy Car: Round Three: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach – 12 April 1992 – Long Beach

It was just another year at Long Beach where Al Unser, Jr. was leading with the laps winding down. Six laps remained, and he was in front of his teammate, Danny Sullivan, by less than a second, six laps until he could extend his Long Beach winning streak to five. Unlike the more controlled explosions of Formula One, he knew that it was the time of the race where anything went, and he could only push as hard as possible to keep Sullivan from overtaking him. Finally, his Galmer-Chevrolet combination was out front, thanks to Michael Andretti’s transmission failing on the 44th lap. With two long straightaways followed by hard right-hand corners, Little Al knew he had his work cut out for him. As long as he led, he could make up some ground on the championship-leading Lola-Chevrolet of Bobby Rahal, who led the series , with Unser twelve points back in fifth place. If only Sullivan could keep doing him this favor and let him gain six points on Rahal and Fittipaldi going into Indy…

Danny Sullivan wanted to win, and could taste it, as he inched closer and closer to his teammate. Four laps remained, and he had a good run going into the backstretch, as Rahal and Fittipaldi closed in on his own gearbox. He was in Unser’s draft, and set him up for a dive on the inside, but no – he slammed on the brakes, as Unser took a legal but sharp line through the corner.[II] He wasn’t going to take out both himself and his teammate, not when they were running one-two. Then from his own left rear, he felt a thump and saw the black-and-yellow Lola of Rahal slowing, with Fittipaldi slipping by. He keyed his radio and called to the pits: “Rahal hit me! Check my left rear, don’t know if it’s going down yet!” Left Rear!”

“Copy! Left Rear. Will check for puncture.” The Galles-Kraco boys would try to spot the tire going down as Sullivan blasted past on Shoreline Drive. With a lap in hand over Goodyear in fifth, the team might lose the one-two, but they’d have two in the top four.

Bobby Rahal didn’t have time to react. Sullivan had pulled out of his attack at the last possible second for him, but Bobby was following Unser’s line, knowing he couldn’t take either until the hairpin or the front straight. It was too late for him when he saw the rear of the second Galmer back off and twitch back into a normal line, and he clipped Sullivan’s right wheel with his front wing. He could see most of the right half was gone, and was fairly sure he could bring it home, but his shot at a top-three had evaporated, as there was no way he could hold off Fittipaldi for one lap, let alone three and a half. He let Fittipaldi go and tried to protect his car.

Emerson Fittipaldi had just enough time to avoid getting sucked into the accordion-effect in front of him, and was able to pass Rahal into the next corner. He’d fight with Sullivan, but with Unser streaking into the horizon, he knew Sullivan would fight hard to preserve the 1-2. Time to try anyway.

“Unser takes the win! That’s five times in a row for Little Al here at Long Beach, he’s not just the king anymore, he’s the emperor!” Paul Page

IndyCar Drivers' Standings after three Races:
Emerson Fittipaldi-48 Bobby Rahal-47 Al Unser, Jr.-44 Rick Mears-29 Danny Sullivan-26 Eddie Cheever-21 John Andretti-16 Scott Goodyear-14 Paul Tracy-12 Scott Pruett-10 Mario Andretti-6 Michael Andretti-6 Scott Brayton-4 Ted Prappas-3 Eric Bachelart-2 Buddy Lazier-1

Round Four: Gran Premio Tio Pepe de España – 03 May 1992 – Catalunya

After Senna’s outright obliteration of the opposition during his Grand Slam at Interlagos, the mutterings across the paddock were louder, more profane, and starting to attract more attention from the racing media. The level of technological advancement was starting to worry the minor teams, especially with the early-season folding of Coloni. March and even the once-renowned Brabham were looking like they may not have the funds to finish out the season.. Meanwhile, McLaren were stunned by the abrupt confirmation that Honda would not be renewing their supply with the team. However, at Spain, the frustrations within the F1 community were blunted due to the Olympic atmosphere at Barcelona, the city already in full swing preparing for the Summer Games.

One spectator cared less about the upcoming Olympics than the race, and had taken time out between school and karting to attend with his father. Ten year-old Fernando Alonso soaked it all in, hoping to catch a glimpse of the drivers, wishing he was one of them. Along the fence, he watched every session, and had his chance to shake the hand of Damon Hill, who spun off in his prequalifying session in the Brabham. Fernando knew it was Hill’s first race and made sure to smile at the man who just lost his shot to start in it. He spent the rest of the weekend hoping for an autograph by one of the greats like Senna or Mansell, or even Schumacher, but he knew he was just lucky enough to make it to the race, his father could have just insisted to watch on TV, but made an exception when he saw how fascinated Fernando had come with the last few seasons of formula one.

The only surprise in qualifying was that Nigel Mansell finally outclassed his teammate, putting his car on pole ahead of Senna by a slim five-hundredths of a second. Race day saw treacherous conditions due to a downpour, and everyone was expecting a Senna charge to the front as had happened the race before. That was not the case, though, as mechanical troubles finally felled his Williams, leaving him in the garage before the first round of stops with electrical difficulties. It was Mansell’s race to win, but not before trouble with a pit stop allowed Schumacher to close to within twelve seconds by the checkered flag.

Down through the field, half of the entrants that day had spun off or outright collided with each other in a series of messy wrecks and offs, however thankfully without any injuries. McLaren finally finished on the podium, bringing a smile to a team that struggled mightily ever since Senna’s departure, with Berger making it past Capelli in the closing stages. Points were also won by Alboreto and Wendlinger, their respective fifth and sixth brought constructers points to the struggling Footwork and March teams. For the first time since Kyalami, Mansell sat atop the standings in first place, with one quarter of the season completed.

Points after four races:
Drivers’:
Mansell – 32
Senna – 26
Schumacher – 18
Patrese – 8
Berger – 7
Capelli – 4
Hakkinen, Alesi, & Alboreto – 2
Wendlinger, Herbert & Morbidelli – 1

Constructors’:
Williams – 58
Benetton - 18
McLaren - 15
Ferrari - 6 Lotus – 3
Footwork -2
Minardi & March - 1

[II] Second POD. IOTL, Sullivan completed the attack, and spun Unser out at that corner. Top four IOTL was Sullivan, Rahal, Fittipaldi, and Unser Jr. Here, Sullivan holds back. Assume all other eventa in the 1992 IndyCar season happen as OTL through race 15. If anything, Unser winning at Long Beach was routine by that point, and nothing would change going into Indy. The next IndyCar update will likely be before and during the last week of that season.

Thanks for an F1 TL.:cool: Also, thanks for punting Andretti out of The Show.:cool: Count me subscribed.

One thing: does this change Senna's career enough he isn't killed in '94?

Thanks for an F1 TL.:cool: Also, thanks for punting Andretti out of The Show.:cool: Count me subscribed.

Kinda hard to have that type of butterfly net and still be plausible, eh? One thing, though, '94 was what it was because of the rapid changes robbing downforce and overall grip. Senna is no idiot, he grew up watching the designs of the 70's, but to invent something, then take it away after years? From what Senna was used to at McLaren, the transition to the FW-14B is a large technical step, and everyone was striving to catch up. Deaths will happen if the transition is half-assed, they might not if it's well planned. I still haven't decided yet what to do there.

Regarding Andretti, he's not out for good. He's just out when he has less of a chance to look like a fool. :)

Butterfly away Senna´s death and you also butterfly away the improvement of saftey for the driver that the death caused.

spdoyle said:
Kinda hard to have that type of butterfly net and still be plausible, eh? One thing, though, '94 was what it was because of the rapid changes robbing downforce and overall grip. Senna is no idiot, he grew up watching the designs of the 70's, but to invent something, then take it away after years? From what Senna was used to at McLaren, the transition to the FW-14B is a large technical step, and everyone was striving to catch up. Deaths will happen if the transition is half-assed, they might not if it's well planned. I still haven't decided yet what to do there.
mattep74 said:
Butterfly away Senna´s death and you also butterfly away the improvement of saftey for the driver that the death caused.
Noted. FIA has a bad habit of making half-assed changes.:rolleyes::mad: Which makes the sport more hazardous than it needs to be.:mad: I wonder if Ratzenberger is enough. I have my doubts, since FIA just blew by Pironi... ChampCar on Zinardi, too, more/less. Senna's death was like Jim Clark getting killed.

I wonder if you could get a big wreck, like Lauda or Moss, that isn't actually fatal, but because it's Senna, one of the very best ever, it gets FIA's attention. (Or do they dismiss it as a freak?:rolleyes:)
spdoyle said:
Regarding Andretti, he's not out for good. He's just out when he has less of a chance to look like a fool. :)
Not out of racing, & I wouldn't deny he's talented. I just found he lacked the talent for the Circus. (Leave him in the Bus League,:p where he doesn't take up a seat for somebody better qualified. Jacques, for instance?:cool::p Maybe Tracy. Carpentier's still too young, isn't he?)

Very interesting, consider me subscribed. I think I remember Mansell winning, just about, but by the 1994 season, I was an avid fan. Typing this while watching highlights of the torrential Q1 session at Albert Park. Cars spinning all over the shop.

Noted. FIA has a bad habit of making half-assed changes.:rolleyes::mad: Which makes the sport more hazardous than it needs to be.:mad: I wonder if Ratzenberger is enough. I have my doubts, since FIA just blew by Pironi... ChampCar on Zinardi, too, more/less. Senna's death was like Jim Clark getting killed.
Ratzenberger wouldn't be enough. Sadly, your doubts are well founded.

I wonder if you could get a big wreck, like Lauda or Moss, that isn't actually fatal, but because it's Senna, one of the very best ever, it gets FIA's attention. (Or do they dismiss it as a freak?:rolleyes:)
That might do it, but sooner or later, one of the real big guns will have a very serious crash. Without it actually happening, the FIA won't make the improvements necessary to avoid the chance of it occurring. It might be Senna. If he avoids it, the next person big enough to make that impact might be Schumacher...

Last edited:

Archibald

Banned
FIA has a bad habit of making half-assed changes.:rolleyes::mad: Which makes the sport more hazardous than it needs to be.:mad: I wonder if Ratzenberger is enough. I have my doubts, since FIA just blew by Pironi.
The 1982 and 1994 F1 championships are strikingly similar
- one star killed (Senna / Villeneneuve)
- one obscure pilot killed (Paletti / Ratzenberger)
- and a good pilot very seriously hurt and never to come back (Pironi / Wendlinger)
The reason ? as you say.
Two very innovative technologies (down-force cars and active suspension) were forbidden by FIA... without any compensation.
As a result Formula 1 technology (and safety) somewhat leaped backward by a decade or so.
In some ways the 1994 cars were a return to 1986; the 1982, to 1976 or before.
Most of the pilots had to re-adapt, and this led to many accidents.

I've born in 1982. In 1994 I was 12 years old and I was learning about the 82' championship (through my father collection of old magazines) when Senna death happened.

I just found he lacked the talent for the Circus. (Leave him in the Bus League, where he doesn't take up a seat for somebody better qualified. Jacques, for instance? Maybe Tracy. Carpentier's still too young, isn't he?)

Talent wasn't Michael's problem. Committment to prepare was.

As for the "Bus League" from 1980-to the present there's a lot talent in the bus leagues who were better than a quite a few those ne'erdowells.

Exactly. The next part that I haven't written yet is the post '92 offseason, and a big hurdle for me is using the transition period from Balestre to Mosley, at a time where Ecclestone is getting his promotion side to be a much bigger factor, to full effect. 1992 was one of those years where if you were to stack the deck at Williams, you COULD speed up some of the changes, however I'm trying to limit myself to the realm of the possible. Here, I'm open-minded to any suggestions. I already have Senna at a point where he KNOWS 1994 is going to be rough, due to the psychological whiplash of finding himself going from competing AGAINST the early-model -14 at the end of '91, to actually driving the thing, and noticing what Newey, et al have in store for '93.

I wonder if you could get a big wreck, like Lauda or Moss, that isn't actually fatal, but because it's Senna, one of the very best ever, it gets FIA's attention. (Or do they dismiss it as a freak?:rolleyes:)?)

It's been something that's made me delay rolling out this timeline. It might take a couple actual years to bring this TL all the way to present-day for me, but if I can maintain the commitment, I'll be doing it. I just don't know yet how to swing that. Thoughts are currently at having Senna warning FIA leadership early on that going whole-hog on downforce reduction without limiting power and increasing safety is going to be BAD, with unknown results after the fact.

Not out of racing, & I wouldn't deny he's talented. I just found he lacked the talent for the Circus. (Leave him in the Bus League,:p where he doesn't take up a seat for somebody better qualified. Jacques, for instance?:cool::p Maybe Tracy. Carpentier's still too young, isn't he?)

Intent is to bring Jacques in either as-scheduled in '96 or delay until '97. I'm still kicking around what to do with the '94 IndyCar season. Back in those days, I was more of an IndyCar fan than F1 (I loved both and still do,) and REALLY am living in denial at the moment to the fact that the butterflies I've been writing will take my favorite IndyCar driver when I was young (Unser Jr.) into a more difficult challenge. I have yet to resolve that situation, because I'm playing with driver lineups over the '93 & '94 seasons in both series.

Very interesting, consider me subscribed. I think I remember ansell winning, just about, but by the 1994 season, I was an avid fan. Typing this while watching highlights of the torrential Q1 session at Albert Park. Cars spinning all over the shop...

Thanks! I read the highlights, but I'm a shift worker who spent his "weekend" in full-out insomniac mode, and finally fell asleep hard last night. I go into work in ten hours, so I'm giving myself a media-blackout as soon as the race starts so I'm surprised when I get off work and hit the DVR.

...sooner or later, one of the real big guns will have a very serious crash. Without it actually happening, the FIA won't make the improvements necessary to avoid the chance of it occurring. It might be Senna. If he avoids it, the next person big enough to make that impact might be Schumacher...

Schumacher, Hill, Hakkinen, Berger, or Villeneuve may make that category. Hill more for his name than talent, (yeah, he had it, but had incredible luck of right team at the right time.) Hakkinen IMO is one of the more underrated modern champions. Yeah, he had Newey, but his early McLaren years were about as tough mechanically as this point ITTL for Ferrari. Berger was just plain well-liked, and Villeneuve, had early on the combination of name and talent. Any of those five, and there'll be changes. A Senna or Schumacher is when you see the FIA go nuts.

The 1982 and 1994 F1 championships are strikingly similar
- one star killed (Senna / Villeneneuve)
- one obscure pilot killed (Paletti / Ratzenberger)
- and a good pilot very seriously hurt and never to come back (Pironi / Wendlinger)
The reason ? as you say.
Two very innovative technologies (down-force cars and active suspension) were forbidden by FIA... without any compensation.
As a result Formula 1 technology (and safety) somewhat leaped backward by a decade or so.
In some ways the 1994 cars were a return to 1986; the 1982, to 1976 or before.
Most of the pilots had to re-adapt, and this led to many accidents.

I've born in 1982. In 1994 I was 12 years old and I was learning about the 82' championship (through my father collection of old magazines) when Senna death happened.

Yeah, I looked towards that era for a lot of my research for that reason. The only way to really do it right is to kill off downforce AND power at the same time, and I'm not quite sure how to pull that one off at the moment.

As for the "Bus League" from 1980-to the present there's a lot talent in the bus leagues who were better than a quite a few those ne'erdowells.

Exactly. ITTL, Andretti is going to have an extra year for lessons to sink in. I'm not going to take him to implausible levels, I just want him to complete one full season in F1, and show enough skill to prove that he deserved to be there, and not to embarrass America in the eyes of F1.

Well, all... As I mentioned above, I work tonight, and spent my days off incredibly busy. So, I probably won't have an update until tomorrow, maybe Monday. Too much to do in real life, and I want to make some forward progress before I burn through what I've already written.

Thanks for all the support!

Chipperback said:

I couldn't speak to the first.

As for the second, only one I can name had any success in the Circus... If they're so good, where were they? (Yes, I mean Unser & Tracy &, hell, even Danica.) Why did F1 retirees end up competitive in ChampCar long past the time they were in the Circus?
spdoyle said:
Thoughts are currently at having Senna warning FIA leadership early on that going whole-hog on downforce reduction without limiting power and increasing safety is going to be BAD, with unknown results after the fact.
I really, really doubt that's going to do it, judging by how little effect even Jackie had.:rolleyes: FIA, like FAA, seems to have a tombstone mentality...:mad:
spdoyle said:
Intent is to bring Jacques in either as-scheduled in '96 or delay until '97.
:( But not a lot.:) If you can keep him from making the bad call & going to BAR, I'll forgive you.;)
spdoyle said:
so I'm surprised when I get off work and hit the DVR
Spoiler alert: it's a dry race.:p
spdoyle said:
Any of those five, and there'll be changes. A Senna or Schumacher is when you see the FIA go nuts.
If you have to wait for Michael to get to be iconic, how many are going to get hurt in the meantime?:eek: (Yes, I know, it wasn't terrible OTL...) I have a hunch, if it wasn't Senna '94, it'd be somebody else even before Michael is Michael, & that'd be too bad.
spdoyle said:
Yeah, I looked towards that era for a lot of my research for that reason. The only way to really do it right is to kill off downforce AND power at the same time, and I'm not quite sure how to pull that one off at the moment.
I've wondered a lot about non-wing cars, myself, so let me offer some suggestions. (Whether FIA would even consider them is a question I'll leave for your better research to decide.;))
  1. Narrower rubber
  2. Grooved rubber
  3. Treaded tires (not just grooved)
  4. Smaller displacement engines (2.5 liter?)
  5. Heavier empty weight?
  6. Rev limiters
  7. No refuelling
  8. Fuel changes (to something that doesn't burn as well, so less power)
Add to this safety changes like higher cockpit sides & mandatory crash testing (too early to be thought of IMO, but standard in street cars, so...).

Also, thinking of Al, Jr, if you're going to put an American in F1, I wouldn't rule him out, either.

Apparently my last post didn't stick.

As for the second, only one I can name had any success in the Circus... If they're so good, where were they? (Yes, I mean Unser & Tracy &, hell, even Danica.) Why did F1 retirees end up competitive in ChampCar long past the time they were in the Circus?

To paraphrase The Mann in his TL, for an F1 driver to go to IndyCar, they gain a little power, weight, and a forgivable chassis. For an IndyCar driver to go to F1, they pick up a tempermental beast that demands a level of precision they're not used to, all with less testing and higher demands. It's not a level playing field to jump back and forth, so it takes a Mario Andretti to do it seamlessly from the IndyCar to F1 side. Add the factor of the changes of the 1992-2000's era, and it's no surprise that Michael Andretti, Zanardi, da Matta, and Bourdais failed so miserably.

I really, really doubt that's going to do it, judging by how little effect even Jackie had.:rolleyes: FIA, like FAA, seems to have a tombstone mentality...:mad:

Yeah, I'm not too fond of what I'm going to have to write, considering that.

:( But not a lot.:) If you can keep him from making the bad call & going to BAR, I'll forgive you.;)

Butterflies have all sorts of power here. ;)

Spoiler alert: it's a dry race.:p

Thanks, but when I'm stuck at work during a race, I force myself to a news blackout. I get all giddy when the lights go off at the start of the race, and hate to know what's happening.

If you have to wait for Michael to get to be iconic, how many are going to get hurt in the meantime?:eek: (Yes, I know, it wasn't terrible OTL...) I have a hunch, if it wasn't Senna '94, it'd be somebody else even before Michael is Michael, & that'd be too bad.

By 1994, MSC will have a reputation not too far unlike Gilles.

I've wondered a lot about non-wing cars, myself, so let me offer some suggestions. (Whether FIA would even consider them is a question I'll leave for your better research to decide.;))
  1. Narrower rubber
  2. Grooved rubber
  3. Treaded tires (not just grooved)
  4. Smaller displacement engines (2.5 liter?)
  5. Heavier empty weight?
  6. Rev limiters
  7. No refuelling
  8. Fuel changes (to something that doesn't burn as well, so less power)
Add to this safety changes like higher cockpit sides & mandatory crash testing (too early to be thought of IMO, but standard in street cars, so...).

All of those ideas are ones I've kicked around, but running grooves just strikes me as inelegant. I'm hoping to avoid that, and will likely pursue other avenues.

Also, thinking of Al, Jr, if you're going to put an American in F1, I wouldn't rule him out, either.[/QUOTE]

I have plans for Little Al. As I said, this is going to become as much an IndyCar TL as an F1, and my main problem on that front will be overcoming my childhood bias to THAT driver more than anyone.

I'm fleshing out a little further into the offseason, so I'm expecting to be posting an update every few days if I can keep my writing pace up. Eventually, I'll be out of reserve material, plus it's not too far from severe weather season here, so I'm going to be distracted by storm chasing in six weeks or so, when I'm not working the forecast desk during an outbreak. In any case, the story will go on! Next update very shortly.