WI Washington's Smallpox Was Less Severe? (No Sterility Thread)

You may have guessed that I am gettig at his sterility. Do you think it would have effecte who he married? I recall reading how the first Japanese Ambassador to the Unite States(I woul love if you could help me find the book) was in shock that no one knew where his descendants were(they thought they knew of a great niece). Can anyone see one of his chilren marrying into the Astors while they are in New York? Could they eventually marry into gaining the Washington manors of England? Would the Washingtons be seen as fit for wedding into nobility? (Their own blood as minor British nobles aside.)

Prior to the Civil War, America would treat them like royalty and European monarchs would recoil in horor at the very thought. After the Civil War, I suspect the honor of the Washingtons is significantly tarnished - they were Virginians, and conservative, and Robert E. Lee's wife was Washington's most direct descendant at the time - I know, butterflies, but I suspect they would be on the wrong side of that particular divide.

Yes, but if they had more children wouldnt they marry into something other than the washed up Lee family? And I notice that most countries didn't mind their monarchs marrying into the Bonapartes. Or Bounapartes. One that same note it would be interesting if Joseph married int them or if another Bonaparte got over there.

Washington was Sterile?

First I’ve heard of it . . . Wow! When did he have smallpox?

I could see a George Washington Jr. running for president, but other then that I really couldn't say.

Also, unless some part of the family (with the last name Washington) moved up north before the Civil War and was on the Union side they would lose a lot of respect in DC after the war.

I really can see only scenario where Washington is not sterile that sticks out in my mind: Washington accepts the crown offered to him and becomes King George I. Now he can have an heir that can inherit the crown. (that is if america is a heridtary monarchy)

Now another scenario is that Washington is more successful as a commander. I have mentioned this idea before on the (washington as a loyalist thread)

I will explain the idea- Washington instead of attacking the French, and being besieged in Fort Necessity and surrenduring, commands a force that takes place during the Battle for Quebec. Perhaps he saves several British prisoners, and leads a charge that routs the enemy, while being wounded in action. This would probaly lead to a promotion and possibly him being granted some title sich as The Duke of Fairfax (Mt. Vernon is in the town of Fairfax). Now with Washington being a duke, he would be a war vetreran and a noble, so his chances of marrying into royal blood would increase substantially. Perhaps instead of Arnold, Washingon could marry Peggy Shippen. Can't think of any young noblewomen at the time, maybe later.

Well there you have it.

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

When I was talking about his possible marital choices I was thinking of his possible illegitamte children popping up or him not marrying a women with her own children. I also realized that maybe the "going nearly blind in the service of owns country" may have relations to smallpox, to which eyesight results from sometimes.

If Washington has children before the War for Independence (likely), that's going to change his outlook. He's still going to the rigid sense of honor and the outsize ambition he had in OTL that led him to reject a crown.*

But if he has sons, that's different. Those of you who are fathers can testify that having kids rips you up. Historical experience also shows that men will go to great lengths for their kids. And Washington's relations with the young men on his staff show that he probably had some pretty strong philoprogenitive instincts.

So . . . Washington probably still isn't going to go for a crown. It just isn't going to work very well in the American context, and he's smart enough to know that. But he's going to try to do something. Worse case scenario--republican elements get spooked enough by Washington's status and his kids and whatever he's doing to give them continuing status that the Constitution doesn't get ratified. Best case scenario--the society of the cincinnati with its hereditary element survives as a recognized part of American life and there are minor perks associated with being descended from guys like Washington, say berths at West Point or continued pension payments or something, but America settles out much as in OTL, though with a minor semi-aristocratic element based on service to the Republic.

*Yes, it was in part ambition that led Washington to reject a crown. He rightly figured that being a second Cincinnatus was more glorious and famous than the squalid business of trying to become king.

Maybe we should look at the money aspect here. What of the hams and alchohol porduced at Mount Vernon? They could be used instead of champagne. The Washington seal could be used on products of the highest quality. Copyright and trademark laws weakness not being the point. If he had many more children might he expand Vernon or have another plantation for his children? Property prices around the capital would eventually rise drastically. Maybe factions would even arise were people converge on Arlington, Mount Vernon, Mintcello, and Braintree depending on who they support. Or wherever Hamilton lived.