DBWI AHC: The thirteen Colonies win!

How could the Thirteen Colonies have won in their uprising? Whats the best way they could have gained their independence? And how could this have effected the future of the British Empire if they had?

Their best hope would be some sort of insurgency that managed to survive. Instead of Washington trying to take on the Royal Army head on, he could have continuously fell back and drawn out the war for years.

It will be difficult, but if you can prevent Burgoyne's victory at Saratoga somehow, they might have a shot.

OOC: Yes, I just got my grubby paws on a copy of For Want Of A Nail. So sue me...

Their best hope would be some sort of insurgency that managed to survive. Instead of Washington trying to take on the Royal Army head on, he could have continuously fell back and drawn out the war for years.

I don't see this working in the long run. How will conceding the cities to the British and loyalists help him? He needs to get lucky and beat their army in the field somewhere, somehow. (Difficult, since most historians agree he probably wasn't the best of the rebel generals.) Still, that way you might see the rebels finally getting some help from France or Spain.

American colonies? I live in Dakota Colony and never heard of that. I assume the whole revolt was Quebec's idea?

Georgia, Carolina... Quebec, nova scotia! Newfoundland... Crap, that's just 9...

Except it's tricky, because some of them didn't join the rebellion. I know Quebec didn't, because there was that expedition that tried to capture the city. Actually, there's an idea--invading Quebec in the winter was a pretty bad idea; maybe the rebels could have found a better use for those troops?

Except it's tricky, because some of them didn't join the rebellion. I know Quebec didn't, because there was that expedition that tried to capture the city. Actually, there's an idea--invading Quebec in the winter was a pretty bad idea; maybe the rebels could have found a better use for those troops?

Nah, stupid rebels could never have overcome British arms, no matter how many troops they had... Just poor leadership overall.

American colonies? I live in Dakota Colony and never heard of that. I assume the whole revolt was Quebec's idea?

It's not my fault if you missed that unit in school... I know the 18th century wars aren't much talked about these days, but the American Rebellion was probably a bigger deal than the Seven Years' War in the long run, at least on this continent.

Nah, stupid rebels could never have overcome British arms, no matter how many troops they had... Just poor leadership overall.

Actually, I was just looking this up--apparently one of the rebel commanders, Richard Montgomery, was killed in the battle. Since the campaign had been going pretty well until then, maybe if he survives he can take over from the decidedly lackluster Washington?

d32123

Banned
Anyone else getting absolutely sick of these bloody stupid implausible threads? The mods should lock this.

It's not my fault if you missed that unit in school... I know the 18th century wars aren't much talked about these days, but the American Rebellion was probably a bigger deal than the Seven Years' War in the long run, at least on this continent.

Actually, I was just looking this up--apparently one of the rebel commanders, Richard Montgomery, was killed in the battle. Since the campaign had been going pretty well until then, maybe if he survives he can take over from the decidedly lackluster Washington?

Yeah, but from what I learnt, Washington's troops loved him, until the great mutiny at Valley Forge. (actually, I had to look this up, my American Revolt history is shabby)

I don't know. I kind of like silly threads, and things that break up the empire. North America would be fractured and weak, but that's what makes interesting stories.

While an outright victory for the rebels is perhaps impossible, do you think they could´ve reached an agreement with the king or parliament.

I mean were they fighting for independence or just representation? I mean they got representation in 1826, a more succesful rebellion could lead to them negotiating, maybe getting 2 or 3 MP´s.

Nah, this is what alternate history is all about, insane ideas like an independent America. It's funny to watch.

Hey, a rebel victory isn't insane, just a bit of a longshot. Still, even if they win I can't see them holding together for long. Too much factionism and regionalism. You'll get a weak "Continental" government for a while, then a coup or something and it'll collapse into its component states again. Most of it will be back within the British sphere of influence inside a generation or two. But the ripples could be substantial in the long run...

d32123

Banned
Nah, this is what alternate history is all about, insane ideas like an independent America. It's funny to watch.

I know, I know, but you think we could debate something slightly more plausible like an independent Irish state (I'd sooner see the Jews get an independent state than those fookin' terrorists) or a man on the moon.

I know, I know, but you think we could debate something slightly more plausible like an independent Irish state (I'd sooner see the Jews get an independent state than those fookin' terrorists) or a man on the moon.

Independent America is a fun idea, if lunacy, almost a crazy as the Czar being overthrown, or a unified Germany and Italy, but I mean, there

Yeah, but Ireland threads tend to end up with people getting banned. This seems harmless enough. Besides, what's so impossible about this? The Spanish colonies got their independence, after all--it's not like New World states couldn't govern themselves in this era...