A Sunny Day in Mexico

[FONT="Book "Book Antiqua"]
A Sunny Day In Mexico

US_Buffalo_Soldiers_Battle_of_Carrizal.jpg

Soldiers of the 10th Cavalry who were taken prisoner during the Battle of Carrizal​

Carrizal, Chihuahua, United Mexican States
June 21st, 1916

Private James Smith dived for cover as bullets racked the wall behind him. He quickly rose to one knee and fired his rifle at the Mexican who fired at him and watched him drop. Smith began to reload but fumbled as another round of bullets impacted the dirt near him.

"Shit." Smith said as he picked up the gun and finished reloading. He rose it back to his shoulder to see the man who shot him get shot himself. Smith began to rise to his feet but a riderless horse rushed by and knocked him on his ass. Smith again got up and saw the carnage he was trying to escape. He saw colored troops and white troops firing at Mexican troops, trying to escape the killing field Carrizal was quickly becoming. Captain Boyd had sent his men into Carrizal to attack the Mexican Army. The Mexicans were ready and had defensive positions so when C and K troops moved into the town they came under fire and were quickly surrounded. After that all semblance of organization collapsed in hte American lines as men stopped fighting and instead focused on getting the the hell out of the city, much like Smith himself.

Smith was born in Columbus, New Mexico and enlisted in the Army after Mexican Rebel leader Pancho Villa raided and burned the city. Smith ran his hand through his hair as a black trooper made a dash for a 'empty' horse but was shot dead. The horse soon followed the man to his grave. A bullet impacting in the dirt in front of him snapped Smith out of his thoughts. He got low and looked for some cover but found none. Suddenly a loud yell came from one of the houses "We surrender!"

Smith watched in surprise as a group of Americans walked out of a house flying a white shirt on a stick. The Mexicans moved quickly and charged across the street, mowing down the unarmed men and occupying the house they left. As they were running across the street one turned and made eye contact with Smith. He stopped and fired at him while yelling something in Spanish. Smith began to move but suddenly a sharp pain shot up his leg and it stopped working. Smith screamed and fell to the ground, hand clutching his calf. He looked at his leg and saw not one but two bullet holes in his leg. One was in his calf, the one he felt, and there was another one in his femur. Smith suddenly felt another bout of pain and yelped. He looked around to see if anyone could help him and saw a Mexican running, dead sprint, toward him. "Aw shit!" Smith said, barely containing the pain he was feeling. He tried to get up but quickly found it useless. As he lay on the ground, slowly bleeding out, a shadow moved over him. Smith looked up to see a Mexican soldier holding a well worn Model 1889. Smith put his hands in the air "Don't shoot, I give."

Washington DC, United States of America
June 22nd, 1916

President Woodrow Wilson sat in the Oval Office and sighed. The Europeans had been fighting each other for almost three years now and Wilson wanted to help, it was America's duty to it's allies. In conjunction with that Pancho Villa burned Columbus last year and he had Perishing trying to hunt him down. He had been getting little in the way of reports but hoped it was going well. His hopes were dashed when his Secretary of War, Newton D Baker, walked in, a solemn expression on his face.

"What happened Newton?" Woodrow Wilson asked with a worried tone of voice. He really hoped it was not about Mexico and about Europe.

Newton checked his note and before responding "Sir, Mexican forces attacked our forces outside Carrizal, Chihuahua yesterday evening. Out of the 100 cavalrymen who did battle, 50 were killed, 15 wounded and 24 more captured."

Wilson was not usually an angry man. He had been relatively calm most his life, it was rare anybody would hear him yell, but today was different. Wilson didn't know why the news of 100 dead Cavalrymen in Mexico set him off, but it did, and the world would never be the same again. Wilson gritted his teeth as he shot from his chair. He grabbed his coat from one of the couches in the Oval Office and put it on. As he left the room he yelled back at Newton "Newton, get a declaration of war drafted within the hour! Those damned Mexicans are going to pay"! Newton gulped so hard Wilson could practically hear it.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Intervention

woodrow_better_cropped.jpg

Woodrow Wilson speaking to Congress​

Washington DC, United States of America
June 22nd, 1916​

"At 11:30 PM last night men of the C and K troops of General Pershing's expedition into Mexico, was suddenly and deliberately attacked by land forces from the United States of Mexico. 54 US boys were killed by the Mexicans and 24 were captured on that day. That is why I am here. Before me is a formal Decleration of War by the United States Government on the Mexican Government. Notice how I said Government and not nation. I am making prefectly clear that this conflict is strictly between the United States and the Mexican governments, not between the American people and the Mexicans. Any acts of violence against a Mexican-American will be treated as a crime against a regular American. I urge peace within the nation, at this time of war.

I am also reassuring our allies-in-trade in Europe that this war will be a quick one. It will be a localized conflict and not interfere with our overseas trade. The United States will continue trading like it always has, uninterrupted and even better than before. Now I hope you will see reason and let us teach them a lesson they won't soon forget!"
" Wilson said. As he walked out of the House Chamber he heard nothing behind him, not a peep. Weather it was because they were stunned or they were waiting for him to exit to vote. As he exited Newton joined him as they walked back to the presidential limo.

"So? Are they voting?" he asked, walking briskly to keep up with the President. He had a stack of papers in his hand, Wilson could barely make out "Order for General Mobilization" on the top of the first.

Wilson shook his head "I don't know, if they aren't voting now then it's gonna be first thing in the morning." Wilson said as he brushed by a Congressman. The Congressman muttered "Mr President" and continued on. Suddenly they were in the Lobby and Newton got out in front of him. "Sir, if we are going to surprise them we are going to have to get it now. This is tomorrows first page news!" Newton said, motioning to the papers he had like they were a newspaper. Wilson began to move when he heard someone shout his name from behind him. He turned to see William S. Kenyon, a Republican Senator from iowa, almost running down the hall. He stopped and bent over, panting for breath.
"Sir....Congress...has...voted..." Kenyon said between breaths.

"Well what did they vote? Yes or no?" Wilson said in a concerned tone. Newton also began to lean in as this would pertain to him to. Kenyon rose and straightened his back "Sir, they voted Aye. 95-1." he said with a smile. Wilson returned the smile with his warm Southern grin "You just made my day....Kenyon, is it?" Wilson asked. Kenyon nodded "Yes sir, William S. Kenyon."

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Banned
Comment

Subscribed!

Interesting twist regarding the OTL Battle of Carrizal and the aftermath.

Though the US was stronger at this time, a couple of things going against them

A) The US will not only be fighting the Mexican Army, but also Pancho Villa at the same time.

B) The US will be fighting both enemies in their own back yard. If you read the history of the Apache Wars, the Mexican Army (like ours) used native americans as scouts and soldiers. In this case, the Mexican Army used the Tarahumara, much like the U.S. Army used the Navajo and Apaches.
Most of these scouts are now retired or pretty old

(I'm kind of a history buff on this era of US and Texas history)

Sending a conventional army into the northern Mexico and/or Sierra Madre mountains (either range) would be a very dangerous prospect. Sending the US Calvary is a wise choice it is still going to be a very bitter fight, in my opinion.
The US Army could take the major cities and flat lands with no problem. But fighting and rooting out the Mexican army and Pancho Villa in the hills will take YEARS to complete. The raiders, soldiers and guerrillas will blend into the mountain terrain and employ hit and run tactics.

NE Mexico Border with the US
Tamaulipas: Coastal Plain, beach and semi-arid desert
Nuevo Leon & Coahuila: Chihuhuan Desert - lowlands in the East and Sierra Madre Occidental mountains in the west (very rough)
Chihuahua: Bordered on either side by the Sierra Madre Occidental and Oriental mountains with the inhospitable Chihuahuan desert running right through the middle.

Looking forward to more..let me know if I can help you research. :)

Invasion​

vera-cruz.gif

US forces do battle in Nogales​

Nogales, Arizona
United States of America
June 15th, 1916

Albert Johnson counted down in his head "Three...two...one..." before bursting into the shelled house. He swept his rifle and searched for the enemy, but nothing. As he lowered his rifle a Mexican jumped in from a broken window and rolled into cover under the window. He then put his rifle into the window and fired out, he hadn't even noticed Albert. Albert silently raised his rifle and fired once...twice...three times. The man tumbled to his side, not even having the chance to know the face of the man who killed him. Albert then sat down and took cover to gather his thoughts, the last half an hour or so had been hectic.

It had been three days since Woodrow Wilson declared war on Mexico. In those tumultuous days the American Army had begun mobilization and the National Guard had been federalized. That is how Smith had arrived in Arizona, having been moved from his native Oregon to counter the initial Mexican attack. From what he had heard the Mexicans had taken many smaller cities on the border but were bogged down in El Paso in Texas and San Diego in California. Now the American Army was ready for a counter offensive. They were pushing hard in Texas and California but even harder here, in Nogales, Arizona. Intelligence said that the Mexicans had lightly defended this part of the front, instead opting to focus more on taking San Diego and El Paso, well unsurprisingly they were wrong. When General Pershing[1] and his men (which Johnson was a part of, un-fortunately) they had stumbled on a hornets nest. The Mexicans had set up HQ in the city and had a sizeable force of men here, mostly militia but still, a but-fuck ton. Perishing was not stupid though and learned from his mistakes in Carrizal, thank the fucking lord. Perishing had withdrew his forces early in the battle to wait for reinforcements, but in his haste unfortunately a few unlucky sods were left behind, Johnson was one of those people.

He took a deep breath and peeked his head out of the door frame to inspect the scene. He saw not a soul on the road or the town hall across the street. He gulped and made a mad dash down the street and to another house for relative safety. He slowed as he got closer and saw nothing but a set of walls hiding a pile of rubble. Johnson took off his hat and stared at the rubble, what was supposed to be his new home, at least for a while. He heard a group of Mexican forces shouting down the street, obviously coming for him. He looked around for somewhere to get into cover, somewhere to hold out until Pershing came...if he came. He looked around and saw nothing, just shelled buildings and rubble. "It cant end like this....it wont. I won't die like Cousin James." he thought. Johnson brought his rifle to his shoulder and turned to see how many were coming for him and the result was...disheartening to say the least. There were no less than fifty Mexican soldiers were moving down the street toward him. Johnson raised his rifle to fire at them in a futile attempt to stop them but was surprised at their next move.

Just as he was about to pull the trigger they all stopped dead in their tracks. Johnson was even more curious when they pointed at him and then turned tail and ran. He looked down at himself and then behind him and found why they were running. He saw a line of men marching down the street, General Pershing riding his horse at the front. Johnson smiled and moved out of their way as they approached. Pershing made eye contact as he rode past and pulled his horse off to the side. With his army dispersing into the city to deal with the enemy Pershing got of his horse and gave Johnson a firm handshake "What is your name?" he asked. Johnson, who was just happy to be alive, responded "I am Private Albert Johnson of the 1st Infantry Division." as he gave a sharp salute. Pershing returned the salute "Well Private Johnson, why don't you head back to base and get some R&R. You need it". Johnson smiled and nodded, turned, then began walking back to the camp just outside the town. He was going to go get some well needed sleep.

[1] He was pulled out of Mexico after the battle of Carrizal.

Footnote: The Americans took back Nogales, San Diego and El Paso after some heavy fighting. 10,000 men alone died fighting in El Paso.

Last edited:
Compromise

Pancho-Villa_Early-Life_HD_768x432-16x9.jpg

General Pancho Villa, 1915

carranza_venustiano_2.jpg

President of Mexico, Venustiano Carranza, 1916​

Mexico City, Distrito Federal
United States of Mexico
June 20th, 1915​

Pancho Villa threw open the doors with a look of contempt on his face. He was flanked on both sides by Presidential Guards and the room he was entering also had its fair share. He thought back to the telegram he had gotten yesterday.

Dear Pancho Villa:
We need to talk, I call for a truce.

Pancho was initially skeptical, but was convinced by its deliverer, Alvaro Obregon. Obregon volunteered himself to stay in Pancho's camp as leverage against President Carranza, Pancho agreed to come.

Now here he was, in the heart of the beast, Mexico City. Carranza looked up from his paperwork and a smile briefly graced his bearded face, but soon was replaced with a serious frown.

"General Villa, I guess your wondering why your here?" he said. He stood and put his hand out for a handshake but Villa rejected it so he sat back down.

"I kind of am, I have a general idea of why your calling me here." Villa said, inspecting the room around him.

Carranza nodded "Yes the American Invasion. Well since our Armies have been repulsed they have stayed in the border, not going any farther. I fear that that may be only temporary. I need a united country if I am to even begin to stand a chance against the Americans." Carranza said motioning to a map of Mexico behind him on the wall. On the map were red and green pins, highly condensed around the border with the US, there were more red than green. "As you can guess those are battles we have fought against the Americans. Red signifies a loss while Green, a victory. You can also notice there are few green pins, and the ones there are were not decisive, little more than raids."

"So what do you want?" Pancho asked. He slowly walked behind the desk and over to the map. Pancho's movement made some Guards begin to move but Carranza put his hand up and stopped them. They returned to their positions but kept a close eye on the rebel General.

"I want to call a truce between us, and your co-operation with me against the Americans." Carranza said as he moved next to Pancho. Pancho was silent as he stared at the map, he probably recognized some of the defeats. El Paso, Nogales, San Diego, and most poignant was Nuevo Laredo[1].

After a painfully long and deafening silence Pancho turned to Carranza "I can tell you are in a tough position. You want what is best for Mexico, as do I. I agree, but on one term. That after this is over I want to retire...this war is going to be a hard one." Villa said.

Carranza smiled and nodded "Agreed. I will allow for you to retire after this is over, in return for your help. Now on to what I need you to do." Carranza said, moving back to his desk "The Americans will be moving any day now and the Mexican Army is not yet prepared to fight them. I have moved my men south, away from the border, to form up, organize and resupply. While this is happening they will be unable to fight the invasion, that is where you come in".

"So you want me to fight the Americans for you?" Pancho said. Carranza gave him no mind before pulling out a sheet of paper and handing it to Villa.

"No, at least not on your own. This is a telegram from Zapata, he has agreed to lend me his aid for the duration of the Invasion. You and Zapata will have to keep the Americans at bay for a couple of weeks at least." Carranza said. He had a worried expression on his face.

Pancho handed back the telegram "Fine. I will do my best. Don't expect miracles though, We are just a band of backwoods rebels going up against a major world player." Pancho said as he began to walk out.

"I don't need miracles Mr Villa, I need results. How they come about, I dont care just get it done!" Carranza said with an excited tone.

[1] Nuevo Laredo was one of the more decisive battles of the early years of the war. In it 15,000 Mexicans were defeated by almost 5,000 Americans. It made poignant just how mis-matched the two armies were.

Last edited:
Nice, for once Mexico isn't completely destroyed days after the war starts. Hopefully we'll do well and give them a bloody nose.

Not surprised at the compromise. If there's one thing we hate more than our government is the United States lol.

Daffy Duck

Banned
Excellent Update

Excellent update! :)

US forces along the border are in for some bloody noses and Pancho Villa and Company stage hit and run raids against outlying US troops and (most importantly) their supply lines.

I wonder if Pershing will enlist the few remaining Apache Scouts to assist...
The Apaches had the best tracking skills in the US armed forces and hated the Mexicans with a passion.

This might be a good resource:
http://net.lib.byu.edu/estu/wwi/comment/huachuca/hi1-23.htm

Last edited:
War Behind the Front​

Punitive-truck-train.png

The Columbus Convoy, one of the longest Supply trains during the war​

Cananea, Sonora
United States of Mexico
June 24th, 1916

Pancho Villa looked at the long line of trucks entering the city through his binoculars. "The Columbus Convoy." Pancho whispered/thought "Looks promising enough". He turned around and gazed upon the hundred or so men he had brought with him. President Carranza told him about a massive supply Convoy that left from Columbus, New Mexico for the Front. The American invasion had been going on for a day and had met heavy resistance from the locals. It was very little in the way of the modern machine of death that the American Army was, but it was all Mexico had at hte moment. The Mexican Army had been gathering in Jalisco, preparing for the fight, but until then it was up to the Locals, Pancho and Emilio to stop the Americans whenever they could.

"Speaking of Emilio" Pancho thought "Where in the hell did that man go? He was here a second ago.". Suddenly there was a low thundering sound behind him. He turned, ready to chew out the runts who might blow their cover, only to see Emilio riding in, 30 men in tow. He smiled as he looked at the Convoy "So that is what we are going after?" he asked.

Pancho nodded "Now that you are here. We can be on our way. You ready boys!" he yelled. There was a loud cheer from his men that the Americans surely heard. "Well what are you waiting for! CHARGE!" Pancho yelled. His men wasted no time in emerging from their hiding holes and charging across the open field. The American guards opened fire but in their haste, were inaccurate and wildly off target. Pancho gave his men that one volley before they would be dead on. Pancho rode ahead and began to fire at the closest truck. He watched the drivers head fly out the left window, he was dead alright. It was not long after that Emilio, his men, and Pancho's men descended on the Convoy.

Pancho watched with undeniable glee as the guards were slaughtered by his men, Most of their trucks were hijacked and beginning to be drove off, with an escort of course. As Pancho and his men began to escape, one of the tires in the front of the convoy blew. It swerved and fell over on its side, bringing their escape to a halt. Pancho rode up to the front "What the hell happened!" he yelled. Emilio was already there, so he responded "One of our tires were shot, don't know what blew it, but its gone. We also had the fortune of not stealing a truck full of tires, so its out of action, unless we can drag it". Pancho put his fingers through his hair and looked around, back at the convoy especially. There were a horde of uniforms, all swarming the raid sight "If they didn't see us now, they will any second now." Pancho thought. He turned back to the working men "Guys, we can't stop now, the Americans are coming, just leave it. We have enough".

Emilio gave him a stern look but said nothing as he mounted his horse "We will hold them, you get these supplies down to Jalisco, and Pancho...i need to talk to you later." he said before riding off and toward the incoming swarm of troops. "How he is going to hold off them, I don't know. Nor do I care now that I think about it." Pancho thought as he turned around. His men had managed to move the car enough to allow for the others to pass, so they did. With that, they were gone.

Last edited:
Would the US try pushing south like that, or would it land at Vera Cruz and march on Mexico City, like last time?

Trying to supply through lightly settledcountryside while guerillas harrass your supply lines is a disaster waiting to happen.

Maybe they cant do that until they've mobilized?

I would have thought that convoy would have been better protected. It sounds like there was no protection provided at all.

guinazacity

Banned
Villa and Zapata working with the government? Now that's something i haven't seen before.

Still, time to give hell to them bloody gringos!