The Death Heard Around The World: The Death of George Washington

Chapter One
Hello, this is my first timeline, so please be gentle and no flaming. Feedback is appreciated though! And so we begin.
Here is a little background using fictional book excepts from fictional books:
The Ferguson rifle was unlike any seen on the American Revolution battlefield. The rifle was the first breachloading rifle to be used by any military. It was also the first breachloading rifle to be invented. It was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of His Majesty's 70th Foot Regiment. In order to load the gun, it used a screw base breech to bypass the ramming of the musket ball into the barrel. After one complete turn dropped the screw, the exposed breach was low enough to drop a round ball into it followed by powder of slightly more then normal, which was then sheared to the proper charge by the screw as it closed the breech. The user then cocked the hammer fully and then fired. The process could take a trained soldier only six seconds to load and fire, resulting in an amazing (for its time) ten shots a minute! (from: Page 1 of: The Ferguson Rifle by Mark Shepard, 2010)

The rifle had an amazing rate of fire, could be loaded while sitting or lying down or on horseback and greater range than the smoothbore muskets used by the Americans. However it was not god. It was good, but there are many misconceptions about it. The common mythical battle of Leominster, in which Colonial Army and Leominster Militia under Colonel Michael Brown faced off against Britsh under (then) Major Johnston, with the Americans armed with the American Longrifle (popularly, and errordly known as the Kentucky Rifle) and the British armed with the Ferguson Rifle never happened. During the American Revolution, Leominster was a stronghold of Loyalists, so there would be no reason to call out their Militia unless it was on the side of the British and Johnston was in England at the time the battle was said to have taken place. (from: Page 5 of: Misconceptions of the Ferguson Rifle, Sean Miller, 1990)

When I met General Sir Patrick Ferguson, I was just a sixteen year old lad fresh from England. I had only been in the Army for two months (the length of the sea crossing) and only had the rank of Ensign. Sir Patrick was years my seventeen years my senior and a Captain. During my time with him, he grew on me a surrogate father and a friend.” (From: age 1 of: The man that killed George Washington: My Autobiography, 1860, Nicholas Daniels)

Now onto the story:

Nicholas Daniels was a mess. He had just gotten off the boat that had taken him from England to the colonies to fight the rebels who do not want to be with Brittan. The journey had given him a lot of time to think on how he had come to the current point in his life. He had been born and raised in London, the only son of a successful merchant. He had been educated by private tutors in his home. His parents where also members of the enlightenment philosophy group that met in London and where introduced by mutual friends to James Ferguson and his wife. The two couples became friends and visited and wrote often. The two families kept in contact after their children were born and Nicholas spent much of his free time on the Ferguson estate in Scotland. As to how he got here though, it was quite by accident. He had been shooting with a rifle at some targets when his father and Lord Pitfour (James Ferguson after become a judge) came up to him “Son, you have been telling me for some time how you wish to join the military for a while now and you are a good shot. Patrick has a opening for a Ensign in his new experimental rifle corps, if you wish to join. Nick had nodded. Lord Pitfour then said “Yes, it has all been arranged. Your ship leaves Portsmouth in a week. Everything is ready and it is all set.” After that, the week had gone by fast, there were uniforms to get fitted with, weapons to buy, clothes to buy, a hundred things needed. Eventually things had settled down and he got on the ship for journey to America. The ship had hit some very good currents for the journey had taken only a month. After the journey he had landed in New York and after buying a horse and the nessacery equipment, had ridden to join his unit in Pennsylvania. As he opened the tent flap on the tent that housed Captain Ferguson, he felt a sense of dread. What would the man think of him? He had not seen him in nearly a year. Only one way to find out he thought as he entered the tent.

How was that? Comments and feedback are appreciated. No flames please as this is my first timeline.

Last edited:

Nicholas Daniels was a mess. He had just gotten off the boat that had taken him from England to the colonies to fight the rebels who do not want to be with Brittan. The journey had given him a lot of time to think on how he had come to the current point in his life. He had been born and raised in London, the only son of a successful merchant. He had been educated by private tutors in his home. His parents where also members of the enlightenment philosophy group that met in London and where introduced by mutual friends to James Ferguson and his wife. The two couples became friends and visited and wrote often. The two families kept in contact after their children were born and Nicholas spent much of his free time on the Ferguson estate in Scotland. As to how he got here though, it was quite by accident. He had been shooting with a rifle at some targets when his father and Lord Pitfour (James Ferguson after become a judge) came up to him “Son, you have been telling me for some time how you wish to join the military for a while now and you are a good shot. Patrick has a opening for a Ensign in his new experimental rifle corps, if you wish to join. Nick had nodded. Lord Pitfour then said “Yes, it has all been arranged. Your ship leaves Portsmouth in a week. Everything is ready and it is all set.” After that, the week had gone by fast, there were uniforms to get fitted with, weapons to buy, clothes to buy, a hundred things needed. Eventually things had settled down and he got on the ship for journey to America. The ship had hit some very good currents for the journey had taken only a month. After the journey he had landed in New York and after buying a horse and the nessacery equipment, had ridden to join his unit in Pennsylvania. As he opened the tent flap on the tent that housed Captain Ferguson, he felt a sense of dread. What would the man think of him? He had not seen him in nearly a year. Only one way to find out he thought as he entered the tent.

Good start, I take it this boy, Nicholas Daniels, will kill Washington without knowing what he has done.

Good start, I take it this boy, Nicholas Daniels, will kill Washington without knowing what he has done.

Actually the plan is for him and the Captain to kill him and thus cause history to spin on its head, but close enoguh. Being an descendant of Patrick Ferguson made me curoious about whar would happen if he did kill Washington, but since the man was too honourable, I have to put in a origional chracter to help him along

Funny, 82 views and only 1 comment. What am I doing wrong? I need feedback if I am to make it better, so please give me some feedback

Its a slow week that's all, with the holiday. People are only skimming through.;) Also i think alot of people without accounts look at AH, their not interested in posting comments just reading, but still count as views.

Its a slow week that's all, with the holiday. People are only skimming through.;) Also i think alot of people without accounts look at AH, their not interested in posting comments just reading, but still count as views.

I know that. Despite not being American, I was out for "Sale Friday" (if I call it by the correct name, I might get in trouble) What do you think of it? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I know that. Despite not being American, I was out for "Sale Friday" (if I call it by the correct name, I might get in trouble) What do you think of it? Any suggestions?

I like it, the premise is very interesting. I'm probably not the best person to ask for suggestions, my timelines haven't exactly been glorious successes.

I am hoping the Napoleon i'm currently developing will be though:D:D:D:D

Looks interesting, a little surprised though that a successful merchant would let his only son join the military. You might want to make him a younger son, well he will have a chance to rise high, he also has a good chance to die.

Looks interesting, a little surprised though that a successful merchant would let his only son join the military. You might want to make him a younger son, well he will have a chance to rise high, he also has a good chance to die.

Thank you for the feedback. I sort of understand your reasoning to make the only son be the younger son but can you expand on that a bit more? Any other comments/feedback?

Most people in those days were concerned to have a heir to take over the estate/family business. Daughters were to be married out for the best possible advantage, sons took over. The saying went first son inherited, second son navy, third son army, next the church.
You do not build up a business to leave it outside the family if you can help it.
While not uncommon for husband of a daughter to take over, a son would have been preferred.
Other than that it looks good.

While more of a thing for the aristocracy, aspiring merchants where not unknown to the same. The point being not to divide up the assets of the family.

Last edited:
Most people in those days were concerned to have a heir to take over the estate/family business. Daughters were to be married out for the best possible advantage, sons took over. The saying went first son inherited, second son navy, third son army, next the church.
You do not build up a business to leave it outside the family if you can help it.
While not uncommon for husband of a daughter to take over, a son would have been preferred.
Other than that it looks good.

That was what I thought, however there is the problem of the navy being filled with criminals and vagrants and the army being the scum of the earth. Again, thanks for the reply. I hope you continue reading it. If more people like it, I hopefully will get more comments like yours (which made my day :) ).

Not the officer class though.

True. However Sir Arthur Wellsley called the British Army "The scum of the Earth" for a reason and there was a reson for the publics preception of the Navy as being filled with idiots, illigitamites, horrible conditions and horrible officers. That was because it was all true.

I have actually thought about George Washington being killed at his first engagement at Monongahela. Could have easily been in him in that disaster. Now to see the effects of that play out.

Last edited:
I have actually though about George Washington being killed at his first engagement at Monongahela. Could have easily been in him in that disaster. Now to see the effects of that play out.

Interesting idea. However this Time Line is about him being killed at the Battle of Brandywhine. How did you like my first chapter? Any comments?

[FONT=&quot]The Death Heard Around The World: The Death of George Washington
Chapter Two[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Thanks you to all who viewed this. Now onto chapter two![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As Daniels entered the tent he noticed two thing: one, the tent was Spartan with only a cot, chest and a few chairs in it. The second thing was that there were three officers in the tent. “Ah, Nicholas.” Said Ferguson as he noticed the young man enter. “Please sit down. We have much to talk about.” Daniels then sat onto the only chair open. After Daniels had sat, Ferguson continued speaking “I believe introductions are in order. These two gentlemen are Lieutenants Harold Pierce and Charles Webber. Charles is your company commander because of officer shortages. Also due to these shortages, you will be commanding A platoon, which is ten men. In the unit, there are two companies of fifty men each, totaling one hundred men total in the unit, not including officers. These companies break down into ten platoons of ten men each, which is our basic unit. Tomorrow morning we shall engage General Washington at Brandywhine Creek. We shall provide scouting and shall screen the right flank by providing effective light infantry support. Any questions?” Lieutenant Pierce raised his hand and was acknowledged by Ferguson. “Thank you sir, now if I may ask, why do we have this child with us? Even with us being an officer down, we would be more effective without him. No offense intended to him of course.” After thinking for a moment Ferguson responded “He may be a child with no experience, but so were you when you got here. He will learn, just like you did when you first got here. Do not harass him or you will answer to me. Got it?” Pierce nodded, shaken a little. “Good. All of you are dismissed. Nicholas, stay for a moment please.” As Pierce and Webber walked out of the tent, both of them did not look at Daniels. “If they harass you, tell me and I will take care of it.” Ferguson said after a few seconds of silence. Daniels nodded, not sure if he should tell on his fellow officers or not if harassment happened. After a few more seconds of silence Ferguson continued “I will walk you to your tent and introduce you to your men tomorrow morning.” Then Ferguson and Daniels walked over to a tent and went inside. In there was a cot and Daniels chest. “Well, I better let you settle in, sleep well since we got a battle tomorrow.” Ferguson then left. After Daniels laid down on the cot, he wondered what tomorrow would bring, with it being his first battle. If only he knew how much history would be affected by his actions during the Battle of Brandywhine.[/FONT]

Chapter Three
There was a trumpet, Daniels realized as it woke him out of his sleep. He got dressed and ate. Then he was introduced to some of his men. As he was an officer, and a new one at that, the men did not tell much of themselves. Sergeant Reid had spectacles and did not speak much. Corporal Joseph talked too much. Private Smith was African and talked a lot as well. In all the three men who he had met did not impress him that much, but he did caution himself that looks could be deceiving. As soon as Daniels had finished thinking about the men who he had met, Captain Ferguson came up to him. “It is time to move out and to preform scouting out by some trees”. “Will the entire unit be going sir?” asked Daniels, who was scared of being in his first battle. “It will be just your platoon” came the reply from the Captain. Daneils’ blood ran cold. Ten men, only ten men. If they ran into any meaningful resistance, they would be dead. After the order to get ready was given, it took them five minutes to get ready and to head out. While infront of the platoon, Captain Ferguson and Daniels talked about the war and the chances of winning it. The Captain was not optimistic “I doubt we can win when Tarleton and his Legion are committing atrocities, if you believe what the Patriot propaganda says. Apparently, on his orders, his Legion rounded up the citizens of a town, herded them all into a church, barricaded the doors and then set the church on fire, burning the citizens alive[1]. What do you think of that?” Daniels thought about the question for a minute before answering. He too had heard about that piece of propaganda and doubted its truthfulness “I doubt it is true sir, otherwise Colonel Tarleton would have been court martialed for violating the rules of war”. After that exchange, the two were silent until they entered a forest. After a few more minutes of walking they could see the end of the treeline. When they got there, they saw two men. One of them was on a beige horse and wearing a elaborate blue coat and the other was on a white horse wearing a less elaborate blue coat. “Sir, two enemy officers, about one hundred and twenty five yards away.” Whispered Daniels to Captain Ferguson quietly, for fear that if he spoke too loudly, the two officers would hear the men and would ride away. The two officers on horseback did not notice the men hidden in the treeline and continued talking. “All right, this is what we are going to do.” Said Captain Ferguson as he detailed his plan on what they would do. As he listened, Daniels hopped that it would not end up badly.

That was interesting! If you can not tell, the next part will be the death of George Washington. Feedback is appreciated!
[1]: A reference to the Mel Gibson move “The Patriot” in which a Colonel “Tavington”, based on the real life Colonel Banastre Tarleton burns down a church full of civilians, which never happened and forced the director and the screenwriter to make public apologies to both Sir Banastre's descendants and to the city of Liverpool, England.

Last edited:
Chapter Four

The plan was simple. Wait for the two officers to show themselves to the unit, shoot them and then get away. What actually happened was different. It took what felt like hours to those involved, but actually only took about one minute for the two officers to get into the sights of the patrol. As soon as the patrol got ready Captain Ferguson whispered "On my mark! 3... 2... 1.... HOLD!" The hold being after the two men had pulled our pistols and started to ride towards them "Sir, did they see us?" asked Daniels, who was quite frightened, this being his first experience in combat. "I am not sure. I hope they did not" Ferguson said as the two men continued to ride towards the woods that the patrol was hidden in. While the conversation was going on, the two men on horseback put their pistols away and turned away from the patrol to ride away. "Sir, this is our chance, if we do not shoot them now, they may come back with more men to this position." said Daniels as he resighted the man on the beige horse. "Well, when you put it that way..." trailed off Ferguson as he tried to think of a appropriate answer. His honour and the rules of war said to not shoot a officer (for that is who the two must be, wearing such fancy uniforms) in the back. Yet what Daniels had said was true, if the two had suspected anything and got away and came back with reinforcements, the patrol would be destroyed. Not thinking, Ferguson dashed out of the tree line and yelled "Surrender!", hoping that he would take the two men alive. Instead of surrendering, the two men wheeled, took out their pistols, fired them (both shots missed) and unseathed their swords. They then stated galloping at Ferguson. As recounted in his autobiography "My life as a soldier: From North America to the American Revolution to the Napoleonic Wars" Ferguson said on the subject: "When I saw the two men charging at me, I froze. I realized that I would only have time for one shot. I just hoped that I chose the correct man to shoot, for if I was wrong, I could end up skewered. I then lined up my shot, which felt like it took an hour. Then I fired. I saw the man on the brown horse fall. However the man on the beige horse continued at me. When the man was within a swords length of me, I heard a shot and saw the man tumble from his horde. When I looked back to see who had fired the shot, I saw a rifle on the ground and Daniels (Ensign Nicholas Daniels) on the ground profusely emptying his stomach contents onto the ground. When I went over to him to see if he had been injured, he told me that he had shot the officer on the horse charging at me. I then went and looked at the officer who had charged at me and he was dead, further up, I found his companion, also dead." After Daniels composed himself, he then went to look at the two dead bodies. Both were clearly dead, with the one that he had shot had his brain blown out of his skull. He then went back to the man he had shot and began to search the uniform that the man had on. In one of the pockets was a picture of a woman. On the back of the picture said "Property of George Washington" When he read that, his heart raced. The man he had just shot was the Rebel Commander! Good god! "Sir! Look at this!" Captain Ferguson came over and exclaimed also. "We must get back to headquarters and inform them of this." Ferguson said to Daniels. The patrol then collected the two bodies and began to head back to their headquarters, in wonderment about the cargo they were carrying.