AHC: Solomonic Egypt

What it says on the tin: At some point, a Christian dynasty, a branch of the royal dynasty of Ethiopia that claims direct descent from King Solomon, comes to power in Egypt.

I don't see how this is possible. By the time any Ethiopian dynasts claimed descent from Solomon, Islam was firmly entrenched among essentially all of their neighbors. The distances are just immense, and the logistics and demographics really don't favor it.

I feel like it is more likely that Solomon himself or a (less crappy) Rehoboam takes over Egypt, but in lieu of that, maybe have the Muslim conquests sort of fall apart soon after Muhammad's death, meaning that Christians are still in control of Egypt.

Hmmmm, if its going to happen, its going to have to be before the fall of North Africa to the Caliphate. Just throwing crap at the wall, but could we see a series of very bad governors put in place in Egypt which inspires a rebellion. The rebels reach out to the nearest Christian ruler (Ethopia) and asks him to take command of the country. He does so and, after a grueling war, the Ethopian-Coptic forces manage to throw the Caliphate back.

Its a long shot, certainly, but would be interesting.

I feel like it is more likely that Solomon himself or a (less crappy) Rehoboam takes over Egypt, but in lieu of that, maybe have the Muslim conquests sort of fall apart soon after Muhammad's death, meaning that Christians are still in control of Egypt.

Sorry, but that would take the intervention of ASBs. There's little proof that the Kingdom of Solomon was anything like as large as the Bible claims. There's no proof in terms of inscriptions or coins or buildings for anything outside Jerusalem and the surrounding hilly region. Plus the major players of the time don't mention Israel being a power in the region. Egypt was in a serious decline, but was internally fragmented, with those fragments still being powerful.

Sorry, but that would take the intervention of ASBs. There's little proof that the Kingdom of Solomon was anything like as large as the Bible claims. There's no proof in terms of inscriptions or coins or buildings for anything outside Jerusalem and the surrounding hilly region. Plus the major players of the time don't mention Israel being a power in the region. Egypt was in a serious decline, but was internally fragmented, with those fragments still being powerful.

Still, if it *Was* they could have at least been able to take over the Sinai, though not the full Nile Delta.

First the Solomonids need to conquer Nubia. That's the "easy" part. Then they need to conquer Egypt. Up until the 12th century or so Egypt has a Coptic majority, meaning the Ethiopians will have significant support amongst the locals.

But conquering Egypt from the Arabs will be extremely difficult for obvious reasons, but possibly doable if the Arabs are weakened enough by internal struggles. The problem is Ethiopia had significant internal struggles of its own in the era when Nubia and Egypt were most vulnerable.

First the Solomonids need to conquer Nubia. That's the "easy" part. Then they need to conquer Egypt. Up until the 12th century or so Egypt has a Coptic majority, meaning the Ethiopians will have significant support amongst the locals.

But conquering Egypt from the Arabs will be extremely difficult for obvious reasons, but possibly doable if the Arabs are weakened enough by internal struggles. The problem is Ethiopia had significant internal struggles of its own in the era when Nubia and Egypt were most vulnerable.

The Nubian Kingdom of Makuria was actually Melkite (Local name for Chalcedonian Orthodox) for a long time, and was no pushover.

The Nubian Kingdom of Makuria was actually Melkite (Local name for Chalcedonian Orthodox) for a long time, and was no pushover.

Yeah--Ethiopia won't find it easy to defeat Nubia, although maybe they can do what the migrating tribes of the 14th/15th century succeeded in. I'm pretty sure there was a Coptic minority in Nubia in that time, so it won't be totally hell to hold the place down. But compared to taking one of the centers of Arab culture and political power, it'll be a cakewalk.

Yeah--Ethiopia won't find it easy to defeat Nubia, although maybe they can do what the migrating tribes of the 14th/15th century succeeded in. I'm pretty sure there was a Coptic minority in Nubia in that time, so it won't be totally hell to hold the place down. But compared to taking one of the centers of Arab culture and political power, it'll be a cakewalk.

True that, I guess.

Without Islam and infected by victory disease, the Roman Empire overextends to Axum, and then it is struck by a Persian and Arab invasion and a sectarian rebellion, shattering it.

And then the Solomonids in the south take the chance to unite the warring Chalcedonian lands of Aegyptus under their banner while the (Christian of some sort?) Arabs settle in Anatolia and the Levant.

Of course, this is me assuming the kings of Axum are Solomonid, which is probably not accurate.